Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    About 11 months ago I took delivery of a 2001 Corolla S that I Factory ordered.

Slbond is right when he said it is difficult to place a factory order. Every dealer wanted to sell me a car from inventory or inventory that was coming in. When I insisted, I was told that it would take 3 to 4 months!

In my case it took about 3 weeks.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The process is not as complicated or stifling as implied by some dealers. I just put myself on the local dealer's list for an '03 Corolla, and here is how the process works:

-If nothing in the dealer's allocation fits the bill, there are at least three options now: try to locate a built car and arrange a dealer trade; swap a production slot with another dealer [this can now be any other dealer in the country]; or modify an existing build order for your selling dealer. This is the approach we are taking.

-He has cars being built at NUMMI the week of March 18, which can be modified up to a certain drop-dead date. All he has to do is take an existing production slot and modify the car to fit your needs. You can call this a "factory order" or whatever you want, but it should result in you getting the car you want in a relatively short time. We are hoping for delivery during the last week in March.

-As for price, even with no Corollas on the ground to sell [he has gotten three and all have been sold within 48 hours], my agreement through the fleet dept is $500 over nominal invoice [including their regional ad fee of $250 or thereabouts]. We expect to pay about $15,900 for an LE Automatic with ABS, Cruise, Mats, and Cass/CD Combo, plus taxes and license. I have given him 4 colors that would be satisfactory, so have a pretty high confidence level that we should see a car before the end of March.

Secondly, on the start-up idle question: yes, they all immediately go to 2000 rpm or so, with the intention of warming the catalyst quickly for emissions purposes. After warmup, it will settle at the usual 600-700 rpm.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    the new Corolla is short on driver leg room and has a mushy seat? I'm 5'11" and 200 and I think in this regard the 03 is only a bit better than the 02 due to the higher seating position. I also found the angle of the A pillar to be rather steep, making it easy to bang one's head getting in and out.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    that a steep A pillar would make it easier to get in and out instead of a long A pillar that would get in the way.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A steep A pillar, one that is more horizontal, leaves less room for the head than a more vertical pillar. But a more vertical pillar would tend to increase the drag coefficient, and worsen fuel economy. Also the steeper the A pillar, the sleeker the car looks. Tradeoffs.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    the word "steep" (at least to me) means approaching vertical, not horizontal, so i have the same question coolguy does. Think about it: when have you ever called a mountain "steep" if it is more horizontal than vertical in slope? So then wouldnt a steep A pillar mean that it was more vertical than horizontal?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    An "A" pillar with a long, gradual slope.
  • Options
    I was considering mpgman's use of the term "steep" in context, and in that context it was clear (to me) what he meant. A more vertical A pillar doesn't reduce head clearance. Just compare the '03 Corolla to the '02 and you'll see what he is talking about. Besides, using the horizontal axis as the reference axis, instead of the vertical axis, the slope of the windshield on the '03 Corolla is more "steep" using the literal sense of the word. So it's all relative.
  • Options
    I'm looking for a center console armrest for my Corolla DX. Dealer said it would run about $118 but toyotaguys.com says about $40. I wonder if it's the same arm rest? Probably not. Where else could I find an arm rest for the Corolla? Thanks!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I to wat the center arm rest and the mats in blue. My dealer says he can't get the blue mats anymore and no luck with the arm rest. Let me know if and when you get yours. Thanks.

Sandy
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I to want the center arm rest and the mats in blue. My dealer says he can't get the blue mats anymore and no luck with the arm rest. Let me know if and when you get yours. Thanks.

Sandy
  • Options
    gqfrommarsgqfrommars Member Posts: 16
    I notice there is an option for the corolla-s, Deluxe AM/FM ETR/CD with 6 speakers

Does any one know the wattage of this and is it better than the standard 4 speakers?

Thanks.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I read a Detroit News review on the Matrix that said the engine in the Matrix (same as in Corolla) was extremely noisy on the freeway and made for a very tiring ride. Can any 2003 Corolla owners comment on the engine noise on the freeway? Thanks.
  • Options
    In the Corolla, the engine is only intrusive at full throttle and higher revs, at which time it is typical 4 cyl in this class, i.e. loud. The rest of the time, and specifically at cruising speeds of 65-80 mph on the freeway, at least with the automatic [3000 rpm equals about 78 mph indicated], it settles into a background hum that is actually quieter than all other cars in this class.

I would say that during hard acceleration above 4000 rpm, the Civic is probably quieter and more civilized; at cruise, around 2500-3000 rpm, the Corolla is quieter, by a quite noticeable amount, that is probably evenly divided between reductions in road noise [always a Honda weak point] and engine/wind noise.

I would also say it is no worse at wide open throttle than the previous-gen Corolla, but noticeably quieter the rest of the time.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Glad to know that the Corolla is quieter at cruising speeds. Have to agree 100% with you about road noise on most, if not all Hondas/Acuras. Can't figure out why they won't spend a few more bucks to give us Honda owners a peaceful ride.
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    i do find that the rear headroom in the 2003 corolla is a bit low. i'm only 5'10" or so and my head is already touching to roof liner. legroom is definitely more than the 2002 model.
  • Options
    ...the big test will be with the release of the next-gen Accord this fall. Everyone from Consumer Reports to the man-in-the-street has given them a good thumping about this issue over the years. If they plan to solve this problem, the upcoming Accord would be a good place to start.

All of their cars, including the current-gen Civic, have each in turn been quieter and more civilized than the one that preceded it. The trouble is that the competition, most particularly Toyota, keeps moving the bar on this issue. I'll admit to still being a bit stunned by our recent rental of an '03 Corolla LE - this car bears very little relationship, except the badge, to the cars that preceded it.

The new Camry is noticeably quieter than our Accord EX V6, even with a 4 cyl engine - but its overall road manners still have me favoring Honda in that [mid-size] class. The Corolla, on the other hand, has the Civic and Protege beaten hands down, in my book, anyway. Ultimate handling? Yeah, the Protege and/or Focus are probably better...but for my money no overall package equals what Toyota achieved with the new Corolla.
  • Options
    lfanlfan Member Posts: 61
    As with everything else, there is a trade off between noise and a certain connected to the road feeling. There is superior Noise suppression and NVH control for Toyotas. This results in a less of the "connected" feeling to the road that one finds in most Hondas.

For instance in the 2003 Corolla compared to the 2002 Civic, the steering is more numb on center and the isolation from the road is the prevails. The driver-to-road feels more connected in Hondas. However in fact, the Corolla may actually handle better, statistics and otherwise.

I do also think that the Honda 4's are smoother, not just at higher rpms. When idling, the 1.8 in my Corolla does send a fair amount of vibration through the pedals and the base of the center console. A bit rougher than in my old Civic and Accord's 4 cylinder.

To be honest, I am still getting use to my 2003 Corolla. After, 217,000 miles in a Civic my senses had become atunned to the Honda "feeling"; noisier or otherwise. Maybe I just need to relax and enjoy the smoother, quieter Corolla.
  • Options
    mbnut1mbnut1 Member Posts: 403
    I found the 2003 engine's to be noticably noiser and courser sounding during acceleration than my girlfriends '95 which I have never found to be objectionable. I was frankly startled by how loud the 2003 Corolla's motor was as the salesman pulled out of the lot. It was the one thing that marred an otherwise steller car. I do agree that on the highway that I didn't notice the engine noise.
  • Options
    vette_z06vette_z06 Member Posts: 2
    toyota corolla is a total piece of crap. if you play on buyin one...don't
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you would like to share with us any experiences you have in reaching that conclusion in a polite and respectful manner, we'd like to read them.

However, that kind of post serves no constructive purpose at all and is not what the Town Hall is all about.

Please email me if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    laithy_74laithy_74 Member Posts: 35
    Toyota's third U.S. division coming to the market within the next 3/4 years will be called 'Scion'. If some of you don't know, Scion will market inexpensive youth-oriented cars. Some of the cars will be shown at New York Auto Show next month.
  • Options
    I say it won't even be half that long. It will be slow getting it up...but I don't its beginnings are too far off as it has been in planning for many months if not years.
  • Options
    I'm trying to replace the shifter column light in my 96 Corolla. I know how to remove the plastic "ring" that covers up column and console gap. How to I get to the light bulb from this point? Also, apparently my keyless remote battery is dying so I bought a new battery. However, the little screw on the remote is pretty stripped. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • Options
    badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    to the Maintenance Board.
  • Options
    USA Today's weekly car review in yesterday's edition was on the '03 Corolla. The writer (James Healey) tested a loaded LE and two S models. It's a largely positive review; here are some of the more interesting tidbits:

* There have been postings here to the effect that the target for the '03 Corolla's fit and finish is Lexus; what has not been said, butHealey mentions, is that the targeted Lexus is the previous generation. That's still a high goal, but a little more realistic for a $14,000 car.

* The LE had two buzzes/rattles, the S models none. No other noticeable defects. Healey noted that the test cars had been subject to "media abuse."

* Comparing to Civic, Corolla is longer, narrower (especially in the rear seat, where Civic is 3.6" wider in hip room), taller, and has a shorter wheelbase. There is more interior room and trunk space than in the Civic. Some of the Corolla's extra room up front was created by pushing the front buckets further apart.

* Biggest plusses are interior quality, more power, better steering, better handling, better braking, and better acceleration compared to the '02 Corolla. The '03 has "smart" shocks to control body lean in turns.

* Although the S is a "cosmetic" package, the '03 is overall more sporty than the '02.

* Two complaints: the engine could use even more power, and sounds coarse (see earlier postings noting this); and the styling looks "like approximately nothing." I have to agree on the styling; I like it better than the '02 but it still screams "generic Japanese small car" to me.

* Interesting point on Corolla sales vs. Civic (which has been discussed in this forum): Healey claims that Toyota is shooting for 315,000 Corolla (including Matrix) sales in the U.S. this year, and that gives Corolla a shot at Civic, which sold 332,000 in '01. (Especially since Corolla should take some sales away from Civic.) Toyota lumps Corolla and Matrix sales together because the cars share the same underpinnings, and the Matrix price stickers say "Corolla" (which is perhaps required to be able to count the two together?).
  • Options
    mrsmokeymrsmokey Member Posts: 3
    Test drove the new 03 Corolla today, I must say I was very impressed. The dealer told me the Corolla has a stainless steel exhaust pipe & muffler (also impressive).
    However, someone told me that the clamps and hooks on the muffler are just regular steel (not stainless). Does this mean that when the the hooks/clamps rust, you have to replace the whole pipe or muffler (which would be rather expensive)? This would seem like an unusual design.
    Has anyone actually seen the exhaust & muffler on the new Corolla close up? The dealer couldn't answer my question and I didn't feel like crawling under the car.

Any info is appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    britton2britton2 Member Posts: 305
    I understand that the exhaust is mostly stainless steel, but not 100% - it is enough that it can be considered stainless - I don't know anything about the clamps, etc - I have a 2001 Corolla LE - a fine little car - kind of wish I had waited for the 03 to come out - at the time I bought mine I had no idea about the big changes in store for the '03 - all of the reviews I've read have been very positive for it
  • Options
    ...the materials and design of the exhaust haven't changed significantly with the new car. And rusty clamps may be unsightly, but they have little to do with function. I know of no one who makes clamps from stainless steel until you get into price territory that will make your nose bleed. Certainly, all of our recent MBs have plain old pot-metal connectors and clamps underneath.
  • Options
    But on the Matrix board I believe, it was mentioned that a Corolla/Matrix Owner's Club could be in the works. Does anyone support this? ME!
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    A great idea.

-Larry
  • Options
    wrightgmwrightgm Member Posts: 9
    I just bought a 2003 Corolla LE and part of the reason I did was because it was significantly less noisy than the Matrix or the Sentra. I live in Canada so maybe our engines are built slightly differently (all our engines must meet Cali emissions regulations) but I thought the Corolla was very quiet and smooth. Plus the mileage is fantastic measured at 42/50 mpg by the canadian government (although I got that off a Toyota broucher so take it as you want). I found the interior to be spacious and well though-out (unlike the Sentra) and more comfortable than the Matrix. The back seat seemed fine to me and I am 5'11". Plus you get a lot of options with the LE package including ABS for only about $2500 CAN more after taxes. I obviously think it is a fantastic car since I bought it.
  • Options
    ...but I think the engine noise comments are aimed at what you hear at full throttle or on kickdown with hard acceleration. At those times, the car's engine note is not necessarily noisier than, say a Civic, but more coarse than the Honda. As I've mentioned repeatedly, once you get up to speed and "settle", at any speed up to and including 80 mph, this car is quite noticeably the quietest in its class. I think well enough of it to be awaiting our car to be delivered hopefully by mid-March.
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    I thought the idea of the Matrix was to have an "affordable" car for young people. By the time Toyota is done with adding several "options", the typical Matrix has a MSRP of about $19K or more. The Corolla is a much better car, and at least $2K less.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    On what basis do you say the Corolla is a MUCH better car? Underneath, most of the Matrix IS Corolla, so how can the Corolla be much better?

I am curious!
  • Options
    civicwcivicw Member Posts: 135
    I meant to say that the Corolla is a much better value. I also don't care for the unergonomic instrumentation, and the monotonous dark grey interior of the Matrix.
  • Options
    subzero206subzero206 Member Posts: 111
    i priced out both the Corolla and Matrix (my 2 choices for my next car) and a Corolla loaded with leather moonroof abs auto 6 speaker came out to under 18k msrp while a Matrix with both sport packages premium stereo abs auto came out to almost 20k. i dont have to get those options but they are the ones i want. and a lot of people are saying the Matrix is underpowered even though they share the same engine but it weighs 200 lbs more. so yea Corolla is a better value but i love the Matrix's look much better. still torn between the 2.
  • Options
    canadaodyownercanadaodyowner Member Posts: 16
    We ordered a Corolla CE with Package 'B' a week ago. It was a toss up between the Matrix FWD and the Corolla. Interestingly, my wife and I (the 'old' folks) liked the Matrix but our teenage daughters preferred the Corolla because to them any hatch-back is a boy's car! One of them even described the Matrix as an offspring of Focus ZX5 mated with PT Cruiser. Going with the Corolla decision was fine with me because we are saving Can$2000+ and don't have to wait too long. Besides, we already have an Odyssey for cargo hauling. Our Corolla should be here in another week or two. Good luck and safe driving to all.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Gary, what color did you choose, might I ask?

-Larry
  • Options
    Larry, (Sorry for this long post)
    red and white were out of the question; silver and beige are nice but too common and the black bodyside moulding and mirror really 'stands' out; opal green is same colour as our Odyssey; so we shortlisted to black, moonshadow and indigo ink. Moonshadow got eliminated after we checked it out at another dealer. Unfortunately we couldn't find a Corolla nor Matrix in indigo ink and didn't want to take any chances without actually seeing one. The colour chart in the glossy is not reliable because the indigo ink in the Corolla brochure is very different from the one in the Matrix literature. By process of elimination, we ended up ordering black, which is what our kids wanted in the first place! My only concern is black will be less visible to other drivers at night. On the other hand, the black mirrors and bodyside moulding blend in nicely AND I'll have the perfect excuse to wash it more frequently!
  • Options
    I'm currently looking at the CE with Package 'B', which unfortunately doesn't include cruise control (which I wanted for highway driving). Actually cruise is not even an available option in Canada for the CE.
    The dealer said they could install cruise control separately. My concern is that this might get rather expensive. Has anyone had any experiences with dealer installed cruise? How much did the dealer charge?

Thanks.
  • Options
    I did not inquire about dealer installed CC but you may want to think hard about the LE upgrade. It is quite a bit more than CE/B but not only do you get CC but also power windows, variable wipers and most importantly (for me at least) ABS is standard. You also get some nice stuff like alloy wheels. It depends on what type of budget you are on but LE is a great price for the options you are given. Much much better than the sport trim IMO. Who wants to pay $800 for a spoiler?!!?
  • Options
    I agree, the LE is nice (especially the ABS) but I'm not sure the $2500 difference between CE & LE is worth it for me. I have yet to decide.
    Were you able to get any kind of a deal on the LE? I guess the markup on the LE is about $1500-$1600. Was the dealer willing to give you a good deal (given that this is a brand new model)?
    Also, how long did you have to wait for delivery? The dealer here told me that base LE's might take a while to get.

Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    The dealer wasn't realy ready to budge that much on price. I got him down only $500 from his initial offer but I also managed to get him to take my trade-in (91 Tercel with a bad oil pan and worn out clutch and some other problems) for $1000 when it is probably only really worth $300 so I would say I got him about $1000 under MSRP. It took some convincing though and I didn't shop around all over the place for better prices but I doubt I would have found any much better. The demand is so high in Toronto for them right now they can not keep up with the purchase orders. I will have to wait until early April for mine but I think it is worth the wait. At most of the dealers I went to they would only have 1 or two 2003 CEs in stock so I am not sure if the waiting time will be that much less for the CE. If you are not buying off the lot you will probably have to wait 4-5 weeks (at least in T.O.)
  • Options
    daguy27daguy27 Member Posts: 4
    Just picked up a 03' corolla S auto. Although it drives well and feels good mechanically, I have definitely noticed some rattles and buzzes from the car. Its so strange because the LE model I test drove before never had this problem. The driver door (Where the seat belt adjuster is) rattles and buzzes whenever I go over some bumpy rough roads, and there is also other noises coming from the rear of the car. Has anyone had rattles/buzzes/weird sounds coming from their new corolla? Even the damn 2001 corolla (loaner) didn't have any of these problems.
  • Options
    We factory ordered our black CE two Saturdays ago. Today we got the vin from the dealer and was told that the car will be here any day, probably before the end of the week. We got it for about $600 under MSRP, before taxes. Going to test drive carefully and make sure it is rattle free before accepting delivery.
  • Options
    black03black03 Member Posts: 3
    We have had our black 03 for about 3 weeks now, runs great, we are also waiting for Cruise Control, my dealer is selling it to me for $500, but is still unsure as to when the kit will be available, CC is not listed as an option but he was quite sure it will be available and is giving me the price of last years cruise, We have a 500 mile trip planned for the end of the month, so I hope it shows up soon, this probably doesn't mean anything, but if you look close at the dash of the CE there is a cruise light...I was on a rather rough road last weekend and could hear a rattle from the front of the car, I tracked it down to the sun visor...if you open up the vanity mirror, there are 2 little rubber points on the lower corners, one fell out, I shoved my insurance card in between the cover and the mirror until I make it to the dealership(warranty claim is probably going to be worth 3 cents)
  • Options
    I wouldn't count on seeing the CC kit for the '03 car in dealer parts depts by the end of this month, or the end of the next couple of months, for that matter.

When we signed up for our LE at our dealer here in CA, I made it clear that CC was the only "must-have" option on my list. The dealer had been to a briefing with the production manager for NUMMI [can't speak for the Ontario plant, of course] and they had been caught unaware by the demand for CC. The result was a lot of early cars got build without it, but they promised much more production in March would have Cruise. Indeed, our dealer found us a production slot for tomorrow that has CC and the mat set and nothing else, and that's the car we are aiming at.

When I inquired about dealer kits for the '03 CC, the tone of the responses indicated to me that this is not going to be widely available any time soon. It certainly will happen, but the early release of the '03 seems to have caught a lot of dealer parts depts with nothing in stock for these cars - no splash guards, no stereo upgrades, none of the stuff that will be common 3-4 months from now.

The last few posts from new owners have my guard up: the one thing that I will not abide in a new car is interior noise [squeaks and buzzes] that do not have an obvious source and easy solution [the vanity mirror is an example of an easy solution]. Our car, when delivered, will be subject to a thorough acceptance drive, and I won't hesitate to walk away if our car has noises I can't ID quickly.

Our rental LE from NUMMI was tight and quiet except for a noise from the glove box door that only occurred on rough roads and could easily be fixed with a bit of insulation tape [which I actually carry in our cars for exactly these kinds of situations]. I don't think this class of car deserves to be held up to unreal standards of perfection, but this is one area where there is a rigorous "pass-fail" test in my mind - anything I can't quickly find and fix myself makes the car unacceptable.

We'll see in about 10 days...
  • Options
    zeppelinmanzeppelinman Member Posts: 2
    lookin at 2003 CE with weather package and
    crusie control. they're askin' around 14500.00
    is this a good deal? thanks......
  • Options
    First rule: ALL PRICING IS LOCAL [like politics]. Therefore, there are no other rules worth talking about. Having said that, here in the Central Calif area, I had no trouble getting two local dealers to quote $500 over nominal dealer invoice [yes, that does include their regional adv fee - they do have to pay it] by working through the Internet/Fleet guy at each dealer. This at a time when no dealer has Corolla "inventory" because all of the cars are sold more or less right off the transporter.

Knowing nothing about invoice in your market on a CE, I can only say that the $500-over price for our car, a NUMMI LE Automatic with only Cruise and the full mat set will run $15560 plus taxes and license.

In general, if you live in a competitive market area, the price we got is routine...maybe even a bit rich, even at this point in the car's life. This is a mass-market commodity car - dealers want to move them quickly to keep the allocations coming on vehicles they make real money selling.

If you're unlucky enough to live in a one-dealer market, or are stuck dealing with those rip-off artists who run the SE region, you have my sympathies. Everywhere else, the usual market rules apply...