Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Corolla

Comments

• Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    I think the Civic and Acura outsell the Corolla in Canada just because the Civic is cheaper. A Civic can cost a lot less than a Corolla, but doesn't have as much standard equipment as the Corolla, such as a stainless steel exhaust, outside temperature gauge, 130 hp engine, etc. From what I've seen, the Acura EL is equivalent to the Corolla LE in terms of pricing and equipment.
  • Options
    tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I'm not familiar with this sulfur smell you folks speak of down here in Houston. Anyone have the newer model Corolla and this awful smell in Houston or Texas area?

I'm very ready to get a Hyundai Elantra GT, but may consider the Toyota Corolla LE if the smell is not an issue down here.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I just test drove a 2003 Corolla S automatic sedan, and was throughly pleased with it. It was so quiet when accelerating, I had to check to see if the engine was still running. I was surprised how well it handled on the road and everything as well. It's no wonder why they're selling so well right now, even with only a small rebate.
  • Options
    dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    Did you fit OK in the Corolla? How is it compared to your old car.
  • Options
    jlewelling1jlewelling1 Member Posts: 65
    I think the smell in Houston is probably masked by the odor of all those vast herds of longhorns between you and El Paso :)
  • Options
    mng1mng1 Member Posts: 2
    My new 03 Corolla LE has been running well for its first 600 miles. I like the quietness, the suspension, the interior quality (ie. I got the leather package), and most of all the mileage. During this break-in period, I got 34mpg for the first 300 miles, then 35mpg for the next 300 miles (70%highway/30%city driving).

And I love the Lunar Mist color due to its light green tint, the automatic headlights, and the tail lights. The sound system (upgraded) is wonderful. The brakes with ABS are a bit soft compared to my previous 95 Corolla DX, but once I get used to them, the car would stop very quietly without lurking its occupants forward. I drove a few friends, and one of them sat in the back, and he enjoyed the ride.

Overall, I think it's well worth the money.
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Where did you find the leather package - I thought it was vaporware. If you have the manual tranny that is the exact Corolla I would get - if I were to get one (wish they had a wagon)
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I agree. I, too, wish there was a Corolla (regular) wagon.

Toyota of the US would tell you they do. See, the full name of that other car is the Toyota Corolla Matrix. I think they include the Matrix in Corolla sales stats, too.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    I've seen a few 03 Corollas with leather. I know someone with a black LE with leather and sunroof.

I wish Toyota sold the Corolla Runx and Allex wagons here in the US.
  • Options
    It isn't as quiet or fast as the Jetta (I had the turbo), and of course not as luxurious inside. But, it's sticker price is about $8000 less than my Jetta's was as well, so that's to be expected. I fit fine actually, I was surprised that I did. I did wish for more power when I was driving though, especially with the AC on. I am just power hungry though. :)
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Mine has leather also. Had it for about 3 months and 4500 miles. All I can say about it is it keeps impressing me everytime I drive it. With the leather, you really feel like you are in a small, classy car, not an econobox. Mileage is a minimum of 34, and absolutely nothing wrong with the car to date. It is only slightly smaller than a Camry, and admittedly I was short on funds when I bought the Corolla, I don't regret it in the least. (How many times can you say that when you went down a model or trim level?)

Does anyone have the toyota mudguards installed? It seems the body design allows mud to easily be kicked up on the door panels, and I was wondering how practical they were, and if they looked tacky or unobtrusive?
  • Options
    alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I am having a hell of a time finding a 2003-2004 (what is the difference if any?) with side air bags. Is it not possible to get in the Northern Va area??

Thanks,

Carrie
  • Options
    mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    The 2004's aren't on the lots yet. Depending on what other options you want, you might have the dealer order from the factory. Don't believe them if they say they can't do it, because I've done it. I ordered a Corolla LE 5 speed with ABS and alloys, and the car was built for me, and delivered in 3 months.
  • Options
    alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I am having a hell of a time finding a 2003-2004 (what is the difference if any?) with side air bags. Is it not possible to get in the Northern Va area??

Thanks,

Carrie
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    They started arriving in early May.
  • Options
    dmendeldmendel Member Posts: 16
    I need to have the passenger side airbag disabled in my 99 Corolla (because my new baby rides in the back seat, my dog now has to move up to the front seat). Does anyone know if there is a switch that will do this or do I have to take it in to the dealer -- or is it something that I can do myself?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Are you in Canada? In the US, in order to do it legally, it's a complicated process, and you need to get a form from the US Dept of Transportation to have the dealer install the disable switch. This isn't a do it yourself job.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    And, even if you get the form, there is no requirement that the dealer do it. Many dealers are refusing on the advice of legal counsel that they could be held liable in the event of an accident where injuries result that might not have had the airbag not been disabled...
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___It's been almost a year and 37,000 miles later since I purchased my 03 Corolla LE w/ Automatic, ABS, Cruise, Cold Weather Package, AM/FM/CD, Carpeted floor and trunk mats, and a cargo net. I paid just $250 over invoice with an order for exactly what I spec’ed above.

___I have read of many disappointments with hwy mileage, Sulfur exhaust smell, and poor seating position in the Toyota Corolla Trouble forum as well as the many praises in many of the others. In my own travels which consist of a 180 mile round trip commute, the 03 LE has been absolutely great. The only time it has seen the dealer was for oil changes and a car wash in the winter months.

___The overall problems with the new Corolla as far as I have experienced is the seating position for a taller driver. I do have to stretch a bit to reach the wheel while the seat is far enough back for my 6’-1” frame to achieve a completely comfortable seating position. Traveling as much as I do, it is not too bad but it definitely could be better. Next would be its winter time gas mileage. With all Hwy. miles, I achieved a low of 29.9 mpg while traveling 70 – 80 mph in -2 and -5 degree F temps on consecutive days. The last major item of concern is the A/C. At 90 + like today in the Chicago area, I have to have the A/C on full fan, full recirc, and only through the top vents to cool passengers in the rear seats comfortably for ~ ½ hour before I can finally switch to ¾ Fan and to both upper and lower vents. I feel warmer air coming through the vents at all times of the year when the A/C is not engaged so I may have a damper problem? A minor issue would be a slight buzziness I am receiving from the front dash when I first take off but it normally goes away after ~ 5 miles?

___As for the plusses, I am just recently receiving ~ 42.5 mpg average on the hwy at 60 – 70 mph travel speeds! For the first 9 months of the Corolla’s life under my daily use, it had that one low mileage outlier as explained above in the extremely cold weather. Normally I was receiving 32 – 34 mpg in the winter months and 34 – 36.5 mpg in the warmer spring, summer, and fall months. I had a high of 37.5 mpg just one time during one of its first tankfuls. At around 27,500 miles however, my hwy. mileage took off! I can’t explain it other than I am enjoying it but the lowest mileage I have had in the last 3 to 4 months (warmer temps have had to help of course :-)) is 39.9 mpg with a high of 43.2 mpg just three tanks ago. Not bad with an Automatic if I do say so myself! I want to also mention that the headlights as installed are some of the best at night I have ever experienced. About the only addition I could think of to make it better would be true 4100 or 4300K HID’s!

___Another plus although many complain about it is the Plood accents in the dash and door handle trim of my LE. I absolutely love it! It beats the hell out of the all plastic interiors as well as many of the newer aluminum look dashes available in more luxurious automobiles.

___What I would like Toyota to offer for the next generation or at least as an option package in the future would be a more luxurious interior package. Not just leather and a sunroof as offered but include the new laser assisted cruise, chrome interior and exterior door handles, brushed aluminum sill plates, a wood top and bottom w/ leather covering the rest type steering wheel, wood grained shift handle/knob, and wood grained parking brake. Make the gauge package a bit sportier or at least surrounded with Plood because even though I love the white gauges visibility, I dislike the plastic looking rectangular housing the entire gauge package is housed in. Make the visors a bit stouter and place a lighted mirror in the passengers visor instead of the simple small vanity type mirror as is currently the case. Telescoping wheel and electric adjustable and heated leather seats would help. A small LCD screen with instantaneous mileage, mileage since last fill up, and possibly a compass direction in the same screen would be a great help for those that watch their mileage would be a wonderful addition. Hopefully without driving the Corolla’s price up over a grand or so in the process … I am just getting used to our Acura MDX Touring w/ RES with most of the above and would love to see a more luxurious Corolla LE for my own uses is all … On the safety side of the equation, besides front side impacts, a side curtain for front and rear would be a great addition. My 10 year old boy is the reason for that request.

___Finally, I hope to post another bi-annual review once I have ~ 80K on her. If it holds up as well as our 92 Toyota Previa LE w/ 176,000 miles, I will be extremely pleased.

___Good Luck to you all.

___Wayne R. Gerdes
    ___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
    ___Waynegerdes@earthlink.net
  • Options
    spiespie Member Posts: 4
    My trunk release stopped working within a year of purchasing my corolla. I had it fixed on May 27th and it broke again. I also have trouble using my key in the trunk lock. I have to turn it several times before the trunk will open. Has anyone had this trouble or does anyone have any suggestions for corrections?
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    what is Plood?

I agree they should drop the CE for the next gen corolla, and just have S, LE, and they could have an XLE, with some of the luxury amenities you mentioned - I think it would sell well. No carmaker takes the compact market seriously and makes a really nice small car with luxury amenities - I guess Mini/BMW comes closest, but even those cars don't have many of the items you mentioned.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    ed_scott0013ed_scott0013 Member Posts: 64
    Plastic wood?
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    but I have been talking about an XLE model for some time now, I hope Toyota is paying attention.

~alpha
  • Options
    This sounds great, but it's out of Toyota's focus for this car. Most people buy a Corolla because it's reliable transportation for the daily commute. Most car reviewers criticized the previous Corolla LE, saying that the price fringed on the Camry LE. Many people will also think, why buy a Corolla when I can get a Camry? Here's the proof: look at how many Corolla CEs and VEs are on the road, compared to LEs.

I think it's already outstanding that Toyota's putting leather and a sunroof in an economy car. This is simply my opinion, but I don't think VW sells many upscale Jettas...
  • Options
    tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I generally find that when the weather is warm, the outside air may feel nicer from the windows than coming through the vents.

Nicer Corolla? I'm not too familiar with what features the Lexus is300 has, but that sounds close to what you were asking for, except for the price!
  • Options
    "Here's the proof: look at how many Corolla CEs and VEs are on the road, compared to LEs."

I'm not really following your point ont this one. Here in the states, at least in NJ, there are ALOT of LEs. I'd say I see an equal number of S and CE models, and more LEs than both.

I think that there is a market for a Corolla XLE- I know many that want the fuel and space efficiency of a compact car, but also want some luxury touches- power seats, rear armrest, trip computer, upgraded stereo, perhaps a more powerful engine, etc.

~alpha
  • Options
    Well then, here it's a completely different reality. I'd say that for every LE on the road, there are at least 10 CEs and maybe 5 Ss.

Most people that are looking for all the luxury amenities will often go for a Camry, where the North American principle of "bigger is better" applies.
  • Options
    "Most people that are looking for all the luxury amenities will often go for a Camry, where the North American principle of "bigger is better" applies."

I think thats a blanket statement, I will still contend that there is a place for an XLE Corolla, so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

Thats why these boards exist :)
  • Options
    I'm not disagreeing that I wouldn't like an XLE Corolla... in fact, I would probably be one of the first to buy one if I could afford it. I just think it goes against what Toyota thinks what the Corolla's target group wants.
  • Options
    To all new Corolla owners, how's the paint holding up?
  • Options
    It seems there are more 2003+ LEs than CEs and Ss. I think I see them most in this order: LE, S, and finally, CE.
  • Options
    jacknimblejacknimble Member Posts: 171
    Just my two cents worth. I was just at the dealership where I purchased my LE, and they had a fully loaded LE, sunroof, leather, wheels, etc. on the showroom floor. When I got mine a few months ago, they told me they never get any in with leather, so they had to find mine at another dealer. I think consumers may be discovering how nice and inexpensive Corollas can be.

I just spent 1200 miles over three days, and I continue to be impressed with the car, especially the gas mileage.
  • Options
    dunworthdunworth Member Posts: 338
    The Corolla is a very luxurious little car, especially in the top trim level. Here in Canada the loaded LE version sells well despite being just shy of the base Camry in price. I have a mid-grade CE Plus trim level which is very nice. In this trim level, I like that they give you power locks/keyless remote, nice upholstery, full rear headrests, but leave off the power windows, which is a feature I actually do not like (got stuck in a storm once with shorted out pw in an old GM car which was new at the time - the interior got soaked!).

A question for some of you wanting a more luxurious Corolla - what would you add? It already comes with leather, sunroof etc. What's left?
  • Options
    observationobservation Member Posts: 5
    i would make ABS and side & SIDE CURTAIN airbags as standard along with 16" alloy wheels. i have a 5 speed and, given the smallish engine, think it is a must for me. but toyota has tendency to substitute in an automatic with xle trim level.
  • Options
    could add as standard: auto dimming mirror, power seats (which are currently unavailable at all), sunroof, auto climate control (unavailable), JBL sound system (unavailable), cruise control, etc. I'd also like a Navi option, and side curtains.
    Ideally, these are the changes I'd make, at least in brief. I'd make the 2.0L RAV version of the Camry 4 standard, in this proposed XLE, and I'd upgrade the S to an SE, giving it similar equipment to the Camry SE, and I'd give the 2.0L RAV engine to this model as well.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    Toyota offers the Corolla with those high level options in Japan...such as nav and auto climate control.
  • Options
    doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    A nail poked through one of my 2003 Corolla tires over the weekend. Is this a do-it-yourself job? If so, what should I buy to get the job done? Or is it better to have it done in a tire shop?

I also have a couple of scratches on the body. What do I need to get to cover up the scratches? I could not find the color code for the Sand Drift Corolla from the label on the front door panel.
  • Options
    jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    I have 2003 Corolla LE, early inthe morning when I
    shift into Drive (D), it shfits in very hard but
    there after when engine is warm and rpm is regular
    the shifting is normal.
    Has any one has this kind of experience?
    Is it normal?

Appreciate for your inputs.

jsleesi
  • Options
    simpaticasimpatica Member Posts: 4
    doublesix: take it to a tire shop, it's not too expensive and there's probably not much you can do yourself.
  • Options
    If the nail went through the tread itself, you can have it repaired for about $10 or so. If it went through the sidewall, you're screwed. You'll need a new tire. Good luck with it.
  • Options
    doublesixdoublesix Member Posts: 29
    Yesterday I brought the nail-punctured tire to a Firestone shop, and was told that it was not reparable since the hole was very close to the sidewall. I had to buy a new Firestone tire (~$80) to match the other three original ones.

The repair cost for the three shops I contacted is $15, $20, and $25 respectively.
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    what you are experiencing is normal in all types of automatic transmission. when the engine is cold, your shifting points becomes higher and sometimes rougher. to avoid this, warm up your car before driving off. don't force your tranny to shift by accelerating hard. just drive slowly/smoothly and let the tranny shift by itself.
  • Options
    chanestkchanestk Member Posts: 2
    What options should I go for and what should I stay away from? Also what does the LE have that the S doesn't?
    Thanks
  • Options
    jeproxjeprox Member Posts: 466
    LE model comes pretty much loaded and no need for extra options. you can get the sunroof as a package. S model doesnt have the woodgrain dash and ABS (canadian models. LE model doesnt have the fog lights like the S model.
  • Options
    Toyota's pricing tool isnt very good, but go to the features tab, you should get a good feel there. Equipment levels are quite different for the US vs. Can models.

~alpha
  • Options
    ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    Here are the differences listed between the CE, S and LE, in the U.S.:

http://www.toyota.com/html/shop/vehicles/corolla/grade_features/c- orolla_grade_features.html
  • Options
    jsleesijsleesi Member Posts: 33
    Mr. Jeprox,

Thanks for your input, I will follow your
    advise.

jsleesi
  • Options
    ranger96ranger96 Member Posts: 16
    How much did you guys pay for your corolla le?I went to a dealership(Hawaii) to look at a 2003 Toyota Corolla LE. What is a good price to offer? Is there any current rebates?
    OPTIONS
    +Automatic Trans
    +6/Speaker
    +Alloy Wheels
    TOTAL $16,500
  • Options
    rc82rc82 Member Posts: 5
    Do you guys know if there are any 2003 Corolla LE left in Southern California. I've talked to several dealerships and they all told me that they only have 2003 Corolla CE left.
  • Options
    rc82rc82 Member Posts: 5
    ranger96, i would pay $16500 OTD for a 2003 LE, probably will be able to get it for a few hundred less.