Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Toyota Avalon

Comments

• nan48nan48 Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2011
    Great choice for your color. I went with a Silver. I wish now I bought a blue. I did get my windows tinted and I think your car would look nice with a tint to the windows. (my opinion) plus maybe a pin strip. (again my opinion) GREAT color choice.

The more I drive my Avalon the more I like the car. I recently got 24.9 MPG HWY/City driving. No problems, very nice driving car and LOVE the extra power if needed. How did you post your picture? I now have 7,000 miles and counting. :)

Now you MIGHT want to check into an extended warranty. MOST of us in here use Jerry out of Kansas. He sells them out of the back seat of his car. (ONLY kidding) We all need a good laugh but seriously, I don't have the information in front of me but he is a fraction of what a dealer will charge you. He is a Toyota dealer but deals in volumn. Great guy and like I said a lot of us has bought extended warranty from him with no reported problems. It's a Toyota warranty and all dealers honor it. I bought 8 yr. 100 mile extended warranty for resale value. I think I paid a little over a 1,000 but don't quote me on that price, it could have been more. One reason for buying an extended warranty for me was "peace of mind".

I love the simplicity of the Toyota buttons. The 2011 Avalon was a great choice for you. I think you'll be very happy. Take care, Bill from East of Atlanta area.

Yea, some nice tint would really look nice on your car. I had to take a second look but it would be worth the little extra money.
  • nceencee Member Posts: 419
    Thanks, I'll check into tinted windows:)

I first posted a link to my flicker site, then a member here posted it on-site. I forgot to ask him how he did it.

I'll have to check into the extended warranty. I traded my 2008 Touring Edition Avalon, with 66,000 miles on it (It was 15 months old), so the standard warranty will be up in 9-10 months for me.

As for the buttons, there sure are a ton of them. So far, I wish the information showed up i the main screen instead of in tiny letter in the dash. This isn't just me, I've had 1 passenger so far (I've got 6 miles on the car so far:)), and that person ask where the outside temp and stuff was displayed.

Have a great day, and we'd love to see pictures of your car posted here.

Here's the Avalon I traded.

- http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2333/5742160643_d95192e695_b.jpg

Skip
    Hi folks. Not sure if anyone is interested, but these are some nice detailing kits?

- http://www.flickr.com/photos/vonstringcaldinkal/5742742044/in/photostream

Skip
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,906
    Once you have your picture uploaded to a hosting site such as Flicker, Photobucket, snapfish, or any picture you see on the web, you right click the image and choose "properties". In the dialog box that shows up, highlight and "copy" the image address.

Once you have that done, click the "IMG" button over here at Edmunds while composing your message and then "paste" the address of the picture and once more click "IMG" to add the ending code.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

Ok, so I think I've got it?

These are for sale at the web site, should that be noted anywhere? Is it better to have a link to the web site instead of posting the photo?

Skip
    Damn I've looked just about everywhere to try and turn off the nav, but I can't find it.

Some times I can turn it off, but as soon as I start the car again, it picks up where it left off.

I'm going to check youtube - which has a dozen or so video tutorials on the Nav system and hope one of them is on how to turn it off.

Skip
    I've got 4 brand new CD's and the newest iPod, and when I play the CD's or use the iPod, I get nothing for information showing up? Nothing as in track number, song title É nothing?

I'm guessing I have some setting set wrong but don't see which one it could be?

Any help here would be great.

Skip
    I know people have different of opinions in cars but "WHY" in the world would you trade such a good looking, low miles, Avalon for a new one?
    Well for me, 67,000 miles in 15 months isn't low mileage. By the end of the year, it would have had 90,000+, and it would get to the point where I would have to keep it, as the miles on it vs the year, would scary most folks away from it, and dealers wouldn't give anything to speak of, for it on trade.

It was / is a great car and all, but this Limited is SO MUCH MORE.

- So much more quite
    - So much more comfortable
    - So much more car

Yes I'll like consider trading in a few years or so, but right now, it seems the thing to do.

I'm sure I can justify it, because my business pays for the new car and yes I know it would likely go into the 100's of thousand miles without any major issue, but I feel more comfortable driving with a car with lower miles, and in this case, after driving the Limited, and much better car for me when I'm on the rode for miles / hours on end.

Skip

Heck if you know anyone looking for a Avalon, with 80+% highway miles (several trips from Maine to Florida and all points in-between), send them to Emerson Toyota in Auburn, Maine, they won't be sorry they purchased the car).

Maintained daily / weekly, the car is a sweet ride, and WILL make someone a great car.
    Has anyone installed these, and what did you think?

How much were they?

Install ok?

Worth the price?

Skip
    I was looking for a used Avalon before I bought my new one. I know about depreciation on a car so a used one seemed like a better buy. I simply could not find one with decent miles. However, I am not sorry I bought a new one. I've heard other stories of how the new 2011 is a much better ride, better gas mileage, and just a better car than the older ones.

I have no pictures of my car but when I take some I'll be sure to share them with the crew in our blog. It's the silver one. I had a choice of white one but that car has 2,000 miles on it and they wanted the same money.

My only regrets is not getting a darker tint on my windows. My tint is medium dark and legal in this state. Some people don't like the darker tint and it's illegal in a lot of states. So I guess the medium tint is a better choice.

Other than that I've had no problems what so ever. I am amazed at the power and the MPG on such a large car. The back seat is really nice and I always get compliments when I have a rear passenger.

I don't drive much and bought our Avalon last July. I had to buy mine. :^) So I'll really take EXTRA good car of it and we store it in our garage. A very tight fit. I do wish the car has a door guard for door dings. Oh well, we can't have it all. Right?
    Oh, did I mention (another way I convinced my self to buy a new car), was because the 2008 would be needing front and rear brakes in the next 2 months ($1000.00 - at the dealership), and one of the headlight bulbs was going (HID $120.00).
    Both silly reasons, but on top of the miles, it was just another reason for me.

Skip
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    I hate hard steering. It's one of the reasons I bought LS Lexuses, their steering is nice and relaxed. At least a low speed.
    All the new nice Toyotas and all Lexuses have mats that match the top part of the dash. I thought it was wierd as well, but after I realized they don't show the dirt and coordinate with another color in the car, I actually like them now. Just had to get used to it.
    I love the simplicity of the Toyota buttons.

That's one of the big reasons I'm on my third Lexus as well!

However, I disagree with the extended warranty on the Lexus. I've drive all of mine to 80,000 miles, well out of warranty. Never needed a thing.
    Many reasons for an extended warranty. The first is peace of mind. The second reason is *if* something breaks then the one time purchase of the extended warranty should pay for itself.

I hope I never use it and I know Toyota's reputation of being reliable. I guess for MY peace of mind I spent the extra money. Just my thoughts.

Switching tracks here. I wonder why we never see any TV ad's for Avalon's? You see them for other high end cars but never for the Avalon.
    In my neck of the woods there were some Avalon commercials for about a month after the 2011 was introduced. I guess because the Avalon is a fairly low volume model for Toyota it doens't warrant the advertising dollars to be spent on it.

• gohawaiiangohawaiian Member Posts: 84
    I have a 2005 Avalon Limited with about 67,500 miles now. I purchased Toyota's Platinum Vehicle Service Agreement from a Toyota dealer for about $980. In essence, it extends the original Toyota warranty to 7 years, 100K miles, zero deductible. In the last month, I had to have the rear sunshade replaced (it was constantly jamming in the raised position & would not retract), and also had an unexpected problem when the check engine light, the traction control light, the vehicle stability control light all came on and remained on, along with the cruise control failing to operate. Both repairs were covered under my extended warranty, and I saw the invoice that the dealer was submitting to Toyota for reimbursement under the extended warranty: the sunshade repair was $1,468 and the other problem, traced to an ignition coil that needed to be replaced, was invoiced for $180 - my out of pocket for the two repairs: $4 for shop supplies. I am definitely glad that I invested in the extended warranty, which has already saved me about $600 on these two repairs alone. The Avalon has so many electronic components, sensors and gadgets that you can virtually predict that some of them will fail as the car ages. If you plan to keep your car for 7 years as I do, I certainly recommend that you consider purchasing an extended warranty from Toyota.
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    I've written before about the noise problem.....wiper blade going across winshield.....got dealer to replace blades....no change......Service manager said "I'll take care of it"....drove car into shop...cleaned windshield and blades....backed it out and drove it around the outside of the shop....it was raining.....he came in.....shook his head......There is a problem. I just got back from driving to California......drove in rain.....wipers made noise....going and comming home.

Called June 1....asked if anything was in the works????? Service Manager said "haven't heard anything"

June 2....Got call...there are working on a new "arm design"....will be out........but might be awhile......so if you have a noise problem, windshield.....let your Service Manager know....

Ohhhh gas mileage .... got 32.4, once, ...lot's of 70+ driving......many tanks were over 29+....1900 miles....on trip..averaged....29.6.........Love the Navigator, seats were awesome, 6 speed tranny....something special....power, power, and more power,....like the car......just get the wiper noise problem fixed.
    I went on line, found the part number for matching floor mats, call the dealership and asked them to order them, and where mine had 2 miles on them, asked that they take them in exchange for the mats I ordered. They said fine.

I like the over-all classy look of matching floor mats.

Glad I did it. Now I'll be ordering the matching rubber mats from WeatherTech for this winter.
    Ok, so I'm guessing that the nav system in the Limited Avalon is not as good or accurate as, say, a Garmin.

Oh, I guess my question is this. Where this unit doesn't work unless there is a DVD inserted, it's not likely to be as up-to-date as most after market units?

How will I know when to get a DVD up-date? How do I get a up-dated DVD? What will they cost?

Am I missing something, or am I right, and as nice as it is, it's no Garmin nuvi 760?

What are the differences between a system that uses a DVD and ones that don't?

Skip
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    ....."Now I'll be ordering the matching rubber mats from WeatherTech for this winter".....

Could you post a link for this?

txd
  • rotterdam6rotterdam6 Member Posts: 36
    I, too, suffer from the wiper noise and skidding. Sometimes I get so irritated I drive my other half's Camry which has nearly silent wipers. I've had them replaced, but hasn't helped. Thanks for the tip on the new arms. I will speak to my service manager. Otherwise, I LOVE the Avalon.
    http://www.weathertech.com/store/mvproduct.aspx?ItemGroupId=52&VehId=638&Year=20- 11

Make sure you copy and paste the whole url - all of the above.

If you have problems, just do:

- http://www.weathertech.com
    You can order those floor mats on ebay. Costly though. I think around 160 bucks for 4. I like them a lot but that cost, well, I can think I can find something cheaper that covers just as much. HOWEVER if I could find those mats at a reasonable price I would buy them. I am very conservative with my money I guess. Please keep me informed on what you buy.

Today, I have older floor mats from my (92) Cadillac Alante in my Avalon. Mine have an average look, nothing like the ones you want.
    Well I might have an answer for you.

I live in Northern New England, and I'll tell you right now É there is NO better floor mat for your car, my car or anyone's car for the winter time! I'm guessimg if you lived in an area that got a lot of rain, you'd feel the same way.

In any case, I have a Black set from my last Avalon I'm looking to sell for $100.00:). The mats are in fine shape, with the back 1 piece hardly looking used at all. The same goes for the front passenger mat, and the drivers side looks damn near as good.

Depending on where you live, I'll consider throwing in the shipping. Worst cast scenario, I'll split the shipping costs with you.

Skip
    Thanks for your offer but I'll have to decline. I'm sure they are nice but my original mats are like brand new. No need to buy another set.

I agree with you on the other mats. I've seen them and they are made extremely good and would keep a small amount of water off the carpet. It's just the price. 169 for a set of floor mats. ouch! But I guess it's what a person wants and like you said. "It's where you live" that makes a difference.

Again let us know what you do. Bill from South GA. near SC
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    The only way I have found to "turn off" the nav is to eject the nav map DVD.
  • gramzgramz Member Posts: 106
    Has anyone found a way to mount license plates (front and back) that look good, like they belong to the car instead of flapping in the wind and looking like an add on.
    IMO, having had 2 Ford Nav systems and 3 Toyota systems, and one Chrysler system, the in/car systems are as good as the Garmin, which I often use when I rent as well. Very similar actually. Denso makes the Toyota system, NavTeq makes the Ford system. Texas Instruments makes the Chrysler system, which is by far, the least advanced, and hardest to use. The Ford and Toyota systems are very similar, actually the Ford system does more than the Toyota does, but the Toyota system is a tad simpler to use. A new DVD is needed as often as your area you drive changes. Right now here, that's not much at all. The Ford DVD is about $150, the Toyota is about $250, but you can sometimes find deals. The Garmin has its maps flashed into the memory, and needs updates as well to stay current with roads. Personally, I prefer the in/car systems, they're always there, and do a lot more, have so many more functions than just navigation. I won't have a car without it anymore. I used to by new DVDs every two years, but since the recession, there is no growth here, and I don't have extra money to spend on them anyway.
    Thank you for your input. I am curious as to what you / I can do with the Toyota Nav, that I haven't found, and is more then I can do with my Garmin?

I'm not sure, but I believe one of the things folks don't like about the Toyota (and maybe others) is that you can't enter while driving. While this appears to be true, how about via voice commands?

Also, how is everyone else find Sat Radio? Mine is ALWAYS going in and out? I lose a station signal 100% of the time, and varying number of times. Enough, so that I'm not likely to extend the contract once it expires.

I'd like to think it has nothing to do with where I live (Northern New England), but I will go out, when I go in the hilly areas, mountains, valleys, under tress, down streets with tall buildings? Is anyone else have this issue?

Is there a additional antenna or antenna booster that can be purchase, and if so, how much and is it worth it?
    Hi folks. Has anyone had a remote starter installed on their 2011 Avalon, and did you get the Toyota unit or an aftermarket unit? Please provide some feedback, +-'s to each unit.

I had an aftermarket one in my '08 and LOVED it! Maine winters seemed so much less with it:)

Skip
    I am curious as to what you / I can do with the Toyota Nav, that I haven't found, and is more then I can do with my Garmin?

Lots of vehicle related features, calendar, maintenance, stuff like that.

I'm not sure, but I believe one of the things folks don't like about the Toyota (and maybe others) is that you can't enter while driving. While this appears to be true, how about via voice commands? Voice commands will work while driving, it's just a lot to memorize. There used to be a goofy key sequence you could use to disable the block while driving, don't remember it and don't know if it works on the new systems or not.

Also, how is everyone else find Sat Radio? Mine is ALWAYS going in and out? I lose a station signal 100% of the time, and varying number of times. Enough, so that I'm not likely to extend the contract once it expires.

Sat radio requires a direct line of sight between the bird and the antenna, or it does usually go off. Tunnels, trees, mountains can block it. I don't know of a fix for that. Not a problem in the west usually, we have few tunnels, trees or other blocking things. However, I don't have satellite hooked up on my Lexus either. My wife's Mercury does have it hooked up, she uses the Disney channel for the grand kids. I'm a talk radio guy myself, and the radio is good enough for that.
    Thanks for the information.

Skip
  • jondjond Member Posts: 43
    Did you get the from Toyota or an outside source? If Toyota, what is the part number. I would like to get some that match my interior. Dealer says they do not exist.
    Toyota. I just had them look up last years mats, which are an exact match: PT548-07070-10

Skip
  • _bill_wa_bill_wa Member Posts: 37
    My 2011 Avalon, made wiper blade noise from day 1. I tried all the "normal things" to do to eliminite the the sound....so finally took it in......wiper blades were replaced......still the noise continued. Took the car back in, Service manager said "I know how to take care of this"....so he drive car into service area.......got some different products.....completely cleaned the wipers, and the complete windshield.......because it was raining, he got to "test'" his process......came in, shook his head....said "he'd have to research the problem.

Toyato, now have a fix....I got all new "re-designed" wiper arm and new blades.....problem solved!!!!!!!

See your Toyato dealer....Service bulletin..should be available or maybe a recall.......
    Nice to know - thank you.

I can say that at this time, my wipers are quiet as a mouse, and they don't jump, squeak or anything - here's hoping it stays this way.

I can say, right now I wish the color was different. By this I mean, unless your in direct sunlight, the car looks black. Not that that's a bad thing, I just traded in a Black Avalon, but I look at this one in the sun and love the metallic red sparkle, i just wish it look red even in light or no sunlight.

What I'd really would have liked, was for the car to have been available in a nice med / dark blue:)

Still lovin the car, but did notice something the other day. The drivers seat looks like a few of the stitches are stretched and sure look like they are going to break real soon:(

I too, find the rain sensing wipers to be a bit of a pain in the [non-permissible content removed], and wish I could just set them to intermittent.

And last bit not least, my mileage doesn't seem to be that good yet. according to the computer gauge I'm averaging about 24 on the highway - driving at 65+ MPH.

Skip
  • adholtmanadholtman Member Posts: 21
    I can tell you your mileage on the highway will get lots better! I just came back from a road trip (mostly highway) and was getting about 32 mpg! Love it!
    Here's hoping it gets better. I do have several road trips coming up, so I'll be able to see just what I'm getting then.

How many miles do you have on your car? I don't have but a few thousand at this time. I'm also thinking the information available via the in-dash system may not be real accurate.

So at 32 MPG, you get around 500 miles to a tankful of gas:) even on my 2008 with 67,000 miles I never got over 450 +- to a tank, and I run dry and fill-up on any long road trip. Putting in 16.5+ gallons at each fill-up.

On this current tankful, I've been half tank in town, and the other half highway and looks like I might see 375 +- to the tank.

Skip
    I've owned three brand new Yotas (00 Solara, 03/06 Avys) all three of them got their best MPG after 5/6K miles.

edited June 2011
    I have aprox. 8 thousand on my Avalon and I'm getting great MPG. My computer says I'm getting about 28.9.....of course this is not all the time........but when it stays around 28.9 I try MY BEST to increase my driving habits to get 29 MPG. Most the time I can get the 29 MPG on the computer. This driving is country/city. We live in the city but the city is small and in the country. NOT like Atlanta where it's almost all city. On HWY trips the computer gets to around 31.9 at the most.

We check our gas milage everytime we fill up and reset the computer. I did find out our actual gas milage is lower than what the computer says. We keep perfect records on ALL fill ups, oil changes, etc. Even though the actual MPG is lower than the computer our Avalon still gets great MPG. It's not off by much but a little. I would say about 2 mpg off.

Love the car. The ride is really nice. I have notice a problem with slight rain on the wiper blades. NOT bad but a slight problem. When it starts skipping this really bothers me.

I like the XM radio. Really nice. I do recommend a extended warranty. Jerry from Kansas can fix you up on that. For me it's peace of mind. Hope this helps.
    I test drove an Avalon where the back up camera was in the mirror, and must admit, the grids seemed nice. I then purchased a new Avalon, but with the Nav system. The back-up camera shows on the screen but it doesn't show grids, can this be turned on and if so where / how?

Skip
    I know the back up camera can be turned off. I believe there is a button on the mirror that allows this back up camera to be turn off. I do not know which button it is. I have an after market Nav system. The only option I did not get was the nav. system. Perhaps other people in here can help you better.
  • robsisrobsis Member Posts: 162
    I, too, wanted the grids on the NAV backup screen and looked everywhere in the manual to see if there was a way to turn them on and there isn't. Another forum confirmed this for me. I wanted them to be wrong; however, after several hours of research, I could find nothing. :(
    The second button on your rear view mirror will turn off the back up camera. I do not have a Nav. system to know if you can turn it off. Hope this helps.
    Robis, read what I wrote about the back up camera. I do not have a Nav. system but on my back up camera the second button on the mirror to the right turns it off. Personally for me, I like the camera. ONLY when it's raining do I turn it off. Hope this helps.
  • jondjond Member Posts: 43
    2011 Avalon. Is there a way to get the preset frequencies to change along with the media source (AM, FM, XM) other than pressing the Presets button? It would be nice if when you changed the source, the preset frequencies would automatically move with it.
    Well I got a reply from Toyota, and the Nav system camera DOES NOT come with the option for grid lines:(

___________ from Toyota

As you know, the rear view monitoring system in 2011 Avalons without navigation uses the rear view mirror to display guide lines for parking. However, these guide lines are not a feature in navigation-equipped Avalons. We apologize for any confusion regarding the capabilities of the various available systems in this model, and we thank you for choosing Toyota for your driving needs.

Some videos of the various available features in the Avalon can be found at http://www.toyota.com/avalon/demos.html. You may also find a demonstration video for the JBL Audio system with Navigation in the Avalon by visiting the official Toyota U.S.A. Youtube page, http://www.youtube.com/toyotausa, and clicking on "How-Tos & Demos".

If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us at http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html.

Love my new 2011 Avalon Ltd and my old 2003 Avalon. However, I discovered the ground clearance on the new car is 5 3/8 inches when I parked it over a 6 inch parking lot curb, ripping off and tearing the plastic under shield behind the front bumper. Question: What do you call the part I destroyed. Also, what is it gonna cost me to replace it?
    My inlaw had identical problem with his 2010 Camry. Anyone else had to deal with this?