Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Replace Santa Fe driveshaft, not just the U-joint?

I have a 2005 santa fe AWD with the 3.5L engine and 5 speed auto transmission - my mechanic tells me that the vibration I feel is from a bad u-joint and that the entire driveshaft must be replaced, that the u-joint itself cannot be replaced or repaired. Is this correct?

Comments

• espo35espo35 Posts: 144
    Are you sure he's not talking about a CV shaft? That's a front wheel "drive shaft".
    If so, yes, replace the whole shaft.

If he's talking about the drive shaft to the rear axle, I bet that's not the problem.
  • tcjefftcjeff Posts: 23
    Yes, he is definately talking about the driveshaft - to the rear differential. Curious why you say that the drive shaft is not the problem - what do you think would cause the vibration? I recently bought the car and am unfamiliar with AWD vehicles.
    I've never seen a bad driveshaft or u-joint on ANY AWD Hyundai..

When and where do you feel the vibration?
    I felt some vibration, sort of like what you may feel if the tires weren't balanced - it's the mechanic who came up with the bad u-joint theory but now I am beginning to wonder if he really knows what he is talking about.
    Do you feel the vibration in the steering wheel?
    Is it speed-related?
    I feel the vibration in the steering wheel, but it is not severe...like I said, it's like a couple tires are out of balance or it's like you're driving on a gravel road instead of a paved road. It seems to smooth out above 45 mph or so.
    If you feel it in the steering wheel, you can eliminate the driveshaft. Try having the tires rotated and see if it changes.
  • My Santa Fe had similar problems. Just bought new tires and vibration is gone.