Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need instructions to replace fuel pump 1994 Caravan 3.8L

johnhubertzjohnhubertz Member Posts: 1
I need to remove and replace the fuel pump on my beloved AWD 1994 Caravan

Vehicle runs well for about 10-20 minutes, then begins to sputter, then stalls,

restarts after 15 minutes - i think my pump is overheating

Questions:

1. Anyone have the shop manual on PDF or that they can link me to?

2. If it is pretty basic - I just need step by step instructions

3. If it is a tough tank to drop, can I cut an access hole inside the van or would this be dumb to do?

John H
Ft Wayne Indiana

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    I think that before I went through the aggravation of dropping the tank I'd get some confirmation that the pump was indeed the problem. Have you put a pressure gauge on the fuel rail yet to confirm that pressure is in fact dropping after the engine warms up?
  • reonreon Member Posts: 19
    I replaced my my fuel pump in my 1994 Caravan by cutting a hole in the floor pan.

The metal is pretty thin and I had no trouble using sheet metal airplane snips.

I used a piece of sheet metal to cover the hole and sealed the edges.

Start with a small hole where you think the pump is and enlarge it carefully so you don't damage the fuel lines running across the top of the tank.

Disconnect the battery before starting the job. Took me 2 hours to do, I probably can do the whole job now in 20 minutes.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,759
    Compared with dropping the tank, that sounds like a very fine plan!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • hamrthamrt Member Posts: 1
    Cutting a hole in the floor where you think the pump may be located? That sounds like a crazy idea and could create even more problems. I think it best to stick with dropping the tank.
  • reonreon Member Posts: 19
    You must be a car repair station.

I haven't had a seconds worth of problems since I did the job.

I would do it again in a heart beat. Saved time, saved aggravation, saved money too. :P