Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Avalon 2004 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    preinhartsenpreinhartsen Member Posts: 3
    folks:
    anybody know any tricks for finding a six-passenger avalon, 2001-2004 (XLS, preferably with stability control)?

there are a sea of ads out there -- i.e., carmax -- but as i sift through i either find no six-passenger models or no way of telling if there are any being offered.

It's almost impossible to tell from an exterior photo, and the VIN numbers do not distinguish between the two...does anybody know any other method?

it seems that the "sixers" are about one in fifty...if anybody's selling one or might know how better to chase one down, please let me know...

paul
  • Options
    abfischabfisch Member Posts: 591
    Yes:

I have an 02 Avalon XL with 6 seating. What I would do, IMO, is call as many dealerships yourself, or looking it up on the internet, in areas of RETIREMENT communities. Older drivers, or people that put a higher price on comfort would have ordered these more than sporty types. Not always, but I did. I am sure you would find one in Florida. I found the XLS not to be worth the money, although heated leather seats and the stability control would have been nice. There were other things on the XLS that I found to pricey for what they were charging. You might consider an XL with premium shocks to be a suitable replacement as well although you would be without the heated seats, nice in snow county, although for the price of the heated seats, I put in an automatic car starter, and for the price of stability control, I put in TokicoHP shocks. Nevertheless, try Toyota dealerships in retirement communities.

abfisch
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hi Paul. I hope we can help you find what you are looking for but no one here can use these Forums to actually offer you a vehicle for sale, and you can't really ask for that to happen.

But I do hope we'll be able to steer you in the right direction - abfisch has given you some great thoughts already. Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    IIRC the XLS only comes in 5 passenger config. try searching for XL exclusively.
  • Options
    zmanjohnzmanjohn Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 1996 Avalon and love the car to death. But I was noticing that when I start the vehicle it revs up to 2K rpm. stays there for about 3 minutes and slowly comes down to 750-1K rpm. Does anyone know if this normal? Also does anyone know where I might be able to get an owners manual? The previous owner could not find the owners manual and the remote unlock for the car. I am less concerned about the remote at this point I just want to learn all the features that are on the vehicle.

Thanks
  • Options
    preinhartsenpreinhartsen Member Posts: 3
    deepan:

perhaps in canada the 6ers were only offered as XLs...just last week, i was reading a review of a 2003 model i picked up on google...the reviewer described the car as an XLS with leather seats and stability control....
    of course, he may have been mistaken, but i doubt it...still, i can't really be sure since i can't seem to get any straight info on the "sixer" from anyone, including toyota...
    over the past six months, i have looked at every parked avalon i've seen and tried to view all i pass on the road...to this point, i have seen NO "sixers" at all -- of any trim level...
    the only reason i know that the car isn't mythical is the fact that about two years ago, my toyota dealer had one on his lot...
    alas, though, my search continues...fortunately, i'm in no rush...perhaps one will find me in the days ahead...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Would the specs here be of any help?

http://www.edmunds.com/used/toyota/index.html
  • Options
    kkovakkkovak Member Posts: 16
    My 2003 Avalon is currently in for regular service, Oil/filter, etc. When inspecting the tires they tell me thay are at 3/32 tread when PA state minimum is 2/32. This car has only 17,500 miles on it. Anyone else have experience with these OEM tires wearing out so soon? About half the miles are highway and half around town. Recommended replacement tire?

Other issue is front rotors. Recently have felt a slight vibration on light braking. Dealer tells me that the front rotors and pads need to be replaced, but they will do it on warranty. Anyone else with experience with rotors going so soon?
    Thanks
    Ken
  • Options
    Deepan:

That is a false statement in the USA. 00-04 Avalon came in 5 or 6 passengar configurations in both model types, XL and XLS. I just saw one in Vermont over the winter, a grey XLS with a bench seat. Maybe it was not available in Canada, but it was here.

abfisch
  • Options
    Ken:

Have an 02. Although, I change to snow tires on separate rims for the winter months, the OEM were average at best. They worse and started to squeel around minor turns. Best OEM's for the price!!!, is Falken Ziex 510's??. Made in Japan. Some road noise at high speeds but the price and sturdiness of the tire is big bang for the buck.

Front brake rotors are a cheap part on our cars. IMO, recommend replacing them with aftermarket rotors of higher quality. Don't be fooled by "Toyota Quality". They don't make the part. I put on cross drilled and slotted discs in front and back with a change in pads. Remarkable difference.

You should also know that the dampers or shocks in the Avalon are quite weak. Now, it is a very good car, but certain parts they cheap out on. The front brakes overheat overtime, as the quality of the OEM discs and the excessive dive of the front end contribute to front end load. I changed the shocks (OEM), to premium aftermarket shocks, with a result of much more limiting nose dive at all speeds. This will balance the car better and you will achieve more balanced braking lasting quite a bitter longer in the fronts.

Hope that helps.

abfisch
  • Options
    finfin Member Posts: 594
    Rather than a lengthy post, let me "second" the post #3058 above. Original front brake pads, rotors and even the whole front suspension are all a little weak on the 2004 and prior Avalons. The original front pads on my 2003 XL went about 30k with mostly suburban and interstate driving. The second set of pads, from Toyota, have gone 24k already and look like almost new. The rotors are fine. Go figure..... But Avalon is a great car, all things considered. Enjoy yours. :)
  • Options
    mikes.mikes. Member Posts: 337
    "I just bought a 2001 XLS as a replacement for my Solara. I really like the car and have learned a lot from this forum. The car has 42K miles. Does anyone have advice with regard to what I should anticipate/look our for with the car? The car did not have an owner's manual "

John, I have both a 96 XL and an 05 Limited. My 96 has 160K miles on it and still has the original front brakes. I have done oil changes every 3 - 5K miles, have replaced the blower fan motor, the timing belt 2x and have done the rear brakes once. The driver seat motor had to be replaced once. I've changed the tranny filter and fluid about every 40K miles.

At about 150K I had to add power steering fluid to the resevoir. I hadn't seen any leaks and when I took it in for the next oil change my mechanic couldn't find any leaks.

When my oldest daughter rides in the back of the 96 she complains of a rough ride. No one else does and the mechanic says the struts are still fine.

My 05 is 4 months old today and has 6.5k miles. So far I've had a TSB on the steering column, NTF, and have had a problem with the driver door not unlocking all the time. A minor annoyance.

These cars have been really dependable for the vast majority. Pretty much take care of it and it'll take care of you.

MikeS.
  • Options
    " just purchased a 1996 Avalon and love the car to death. But I was noticing that when I start the vehicle it revs up to 2K rpm. stays there for about 3 minutes and slowly comes down to 750-1K rpm. Does anyone know if this normal?"

Yes it is normal. I too have a 96 XL and it has always done this. It lets the engine come up to operating temp. faster which means better emissions.

As to finding an owners manual, sorry no help there.

MikeS.
  • Options
    Thanks for your help Mike. I figured this was normal, but as I said I have no owners manual so I could not look it up.
  • Options
    MIKES:

Please can you comment more on the tranny fluid changes you do yourself. I change my fluid on the first 50K, and then thereafter every 25K. It is easy for me to keep those numbers in my mind. I do the PS fluid at the same time for the Avalon as you know the fluid is exactly the same.

I have not yet, taken down the pan, cleaned the magnets/filter for the tranny. Hope much of a mess and pain is this to do??? Do you have any techniques you have to share with us who perform the maintenance ourselves to do this??

Thanks.

abfisch
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    The best place to find used items is on eBay. They do have a 1996 Avalon owner's manual for sale at this very time. Good luck?
  • Options
    Abfisch,

The tranny filter is very easy to do, especially if you can elevate the car with a rack or if you have a pit to work from. Drain the tranny fluid then unbolt the pan, it has, I believe, 12 metric sized bolts that holds it on.

Once you have the filter pan you can throw away the old filter, it is encassed in metal with openings for the oil to flow. Clean out the pan and the magnets and replace a new filter. Reattach the pan to the tranny and fill with fluid.

Much easier then my 97 Tacoma V-6 xtra cab 4x4. That truck takes one of 2 filters and until you remember what you did with the info from 3 years ago you have to order both to make sure you get the right one :)

I do all my vehicles at 36K mile intervals.

MikeS.
  • Options
    sandydee1sandydee1 Member Posts: 26
    I wrote the following on May 14, 2005 message #745 in the problems and solutions forum:

I had to buy two new front tires for my 2003 Avalon after only 17,000 miles. I actually had the lifetime tire option but voided that when I did not have my tires rotated every 5,000 miles. Hopefully, the new tires will last longer than 17,000 miles.
  • Options
    boord1boord1 Member Posts: 17
    I'm about to take a 2000mile highway run and have been reading up on tire pressure. My 2000 Avalon with Michelin MXV Plus 16" tires has a Toyota recommended pressure of 32 PSI. Michelin states on the sidewall that the max pressure is 44PSI.

Some web sites recommend going to higher PSIs for highway economy. Any thoughts on a good PSI for sustained 70-80mph driving?
  • Options
    Either 32 or 33 lbs. psi is a popular number. Tires will gain 3 or more psi on their own at highway speeds if the road surface is hot, as in summer.... You will not gain anything by using more air. Enjoy the trip........... :)
  • Options
    MikeS:

Thanks very much. Couple of questions. Do you have to replace the gasket once you remove the pan??? Do you use some kind of high temp. seal to seal it??? How much does the Toyota filter cost???? How long did it take you to do??? Do they make a generic filter??? Aren't the magnets suppose to go in the same place they came from??? Have you gotten more than 200K on your AT????

I have an Auto Crafts Shop with multiple bay lifts courtesy of the US Army. I am active duty.

Thanks for the info.

We can Jit R done.

Feed the forum.

abfisch
  • Options
    boord1.

Agree with fin totally. Do not elevate that tire to 44PSI or you will be asking for trouble and compromise safety. 44PSI is the limit for the tire, but the manufacturer of the vehicle, in this case Toyota, takes into account load considerations, power, size when making recommendations. Additionally, the PSI with elevate depending on the temp. and the amount of driving.

Going to even up to 36PSI, which some uninformed mechanic did, made my 02 Avalon ride harsh, transmitting vibration into the cabin. That is a poor way to get increased mileage, effeciency, or handling. Many better ways at doing both.

Have fun on your trip.

abfisch
  • Options
    I have had my '96 Avalon for only about 1 week, I love everything about it especially the ice cold air from the air conditioner, but once in a while it just stops and starts blowing hot air. This has happened on two different occasions on me and looked at everything I know, but can not see anything wrong.
    Does anyone out there know what might be causing the air to quit? The first occasion I was driving, blowing very cold, then stopped while running er runs. Got back in car about 5 minutes later and air was not working. Second was on a trip for about 30 minutes, blew cold for about 15-20 minutes, then just stopped and started blowing warm air. I turned everything off and when I arrived home it started working again.
    Could this have anything to do with High humidity?
    Any suggestions?
  • Options
    jack23jack23 Member Posts: 1
    How do you change the cabin (air conditioning) air filter on a 2002 Avalon?

Jack
  • Options
    "MikeS:

Thanks very much. Couple of questions. Do you have to replace the gasket once you remove the pan??? Do you use some kind of high temp. seal to seal it??? How much does the Toyota filter cost???? How long did it take you to do??? Do they make a generic filter??? Aren't the magnets suppose to go in the same place they came from??? Have you gotten more than 200K on your AT"

I don't remember having to replace the gasket. The filter for my 96 Avalon runs about 30 bucks from WWW.TOYOTAPARTSWORLD.COM It takes me about 30 minutes just for the filter, not including drain time and refill time. The magnets do go back where they come from. My highest mileage is the 96 XL and it has 160K on it. It still has the original front brakes! The rears have been replaced once. The timing belt 2x.

MikeS.
  • Options
    "I turned everything off and when I arrived home it started working again.
    Could this have anything to do with High humidity? "

Bingo! Very cold air and high humidty can make the system freeze up. Once it has set for awhile the icing thaws out and you have cold air again. Try turning the temp setting warmer, slightly even, and then see if it freezes up.

MikeS.
  • Options
    Jack23:

Take down the underside plastic fascia and the glove box. The filters are behind the glove box. A little time consuming but simple to do.

abfisch
  • Options
    bobezbobez Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Avalon XL and am looking to upgrade. I like my Avalon, it is quiet, smooth, and has acceptable acceleration but I have been thinking of getting a more sporty styled sedan. I have driven an assortment of cars in order to determine what would be acceptable for me and my family:

2006 Mercedes S350
    2005 Mercedes E500
    2006 BMW 325i, 530i, 530xi
    2005 Acura TL
    2004 Lexus GS300
    2005 Toyota Avalon XLS, Limited

I know there are other cars but the above were top of my list. I like to take my family when I test drive these cars so I can get their viewpoint on the cars. So far, collectively we can only agree on the 2005 Toyota Avalon with a few exceptions. Top things considered were price, quietness, room, ride.

2006 S350 was nice but expensive and too heavy for the engine.
    2005 E500 was powerful but wind and road noise was louder than I cared for. Kids liked the temperature controls and roller blinds.
    2006 325i impressed me very much. Ride was excellent. Just too small for family.
    2006 530i,xi new engine does not seem much more powerful than the old, nice but too noisy. Kids liked rear seat and air conditioning controls.
    2005 Acura TL none of my family liked it, too noisy and bumpy and not enough rear seat room
    2004 Lexus GS300 Nice and quiet but just didn't do it for me
    2005 Avalon XLS, Limited Family liked it very well, kids loved the rear seat. Lots of luxury type options. Safer. I liked the ride and it was quiet except for some minor wind noise around mirrors and some minor road roar. Not sure if it is noisier than my 2000 Avalon because the noises are different, probably due to design changes. However, the ride was slightly more firm than my 2000 Avalon, I am not sure if I like the firmer ride. The interior looked both lush yet cheap. A nice combination of leather and wood but the steering wheel controls and dash pieces were slightly misaligned - unlike my Avalon. Steering wheel control pieces SHOULD HAVE a more quality look because it jumped right out at me quickly and may have tainted my overall impression.

I was surprised when my family said they liked our 2000 Avalon better than most of the cars we drove. I now have more appreciation for my 2000 Avalon.
  • Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    bobez:
    Your experience is similar to mine. I too own a 2000 XLS in mint condition with 43K miles. It is smooth, quiet and refined. I looked at the new 2005 Avalon XLS and Limited but there was no emotional connection.

Since I am in no rush to buy right now, I am waiting to see what the Hyundai Azera looks like. By all accounts it appears to meet my needs better. It is reported to be more quiet than the Avalon, has a more plush (look and feel) interior and the exterior styling is more pleasing to the eye. Also, it is a full size mid-luxury sedan that competes favorably with the Audi A6 and th Infiniti M35/45 two cars I am also interested in.
  • Options
    azfj60azfj60 Member Posts: 15
    Just wanted to update since I've had my 2000 XLS now for about 2 months. So far, I LOVE it. I have the bench seat, and my kids like that too. I have found that the gas mileage is almost totally dependant on the way I drive. I have tried 87, 89 and 91 octane fuel, without noticable difference, however, if I drive "like an old man" I get decent mileage, but if I really lay into it, it's in the high teens/low 20's around town. I can avg close to 31 or so on the hghwy. So far the only complaints are:

1) Can't de-program the auto door lock feature no matter how many different ways I try (see previous posts).

2) Hazards don't work, and I haven't had time to troubleshoot

3) Have some tires that when I drive on grooved pavement like the interstate cause the car to shake around a lot. Anyone else had this happen? and is there anything short of new tires that would help it? They still have 80% tread, so I hate to trash them early.

Rob in AZ
  • Options
    greenbeltgreenbelt Member Posts: 55
    While we were travelling on a short trip yesterday, the VSC, VSC off and Engine Check lights all came on in my wife's 2000 Avalon XLS. This was after Toyota covered replacement of a steering angle sensor under our Platinum warranty when the VSC lights lit up 30 days ago.

55,000 Miles and the car is getting flakey and even worse, the bozos at the dealership can't fix it right the first time.

Some kind of quality. :P
  • Options
    par_papar_pa Member Posts: 13
    I just read many messages on Avalon suspension weaknesses. I own a 2000 XLS with 38 000 miles, made in december 1999. I just changed the four struts and struts mounts for Toyota factory struts and mounts at my Toyota dealer and paid the big price.
    I am completely dissatisfied with the result. The ride is bouncy on bumps and dips, as is the shocks were not working properly. The chief mechanic of my Toyota dealer says the shocks are working as expected. Compared to my other 96 Avalon, the ride of the 2000 Avalon is not as smooth, thought it is quieter.
    Many members of this forum seems to have experienced better ride with KYB (I though this was OEM) or Tokico shocks. I am afraid they may firm the ride too much. I am 60, and I prefer a soft ride.
    Nobody mentioned that Toyota made a change in april 2000, switching from 374,5 mm front coil springs to 378,5 mm. Will installing these longer springs improve the ride? Does anybody know why Toyota made that change?

Do I have to change the newly installed factory struts to really improve the ride? Is there a way to convince my dealer to take back those struts if so?
    Any help will be appreciated!
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    Can't offer any wisdom on working with the dealer on the work already done, but I made the change to Tokicos and have been completely happy. The ride did stiffen some, but so did the handling and I can now have passengers in the back seat without fear of ripping the gas tank off driving into parking lots. (You know what I mean). Good luck
  • Options
    After the fact is hard to do. Tokico's or KYB's struts are premium to the OEM struts. You thought incorrectly if you thought the KYB's GR2 struts are OEM. They put in the same struts as the Camry/Solara. Look at the similar parts numbers.

You can improve the ride some, but not as much as with the struts. Change the tires to a sportier tire without changes in the diamter (Falken Ziex) and you can change the sway bar bushings to PU type (Energy Suspension). That is about all you can do.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • Options
    Thank you sanandton, I have read all your posts.
    What do you mean by stiffen some? The new struts of my XLS 2000 seem to kick up the front end at large dips, instead of absorbing the shock. So the body has too large a motion, that independent suspension mechanics also found strange and disturbing. Have the Tokicos you installed suppressed that wallowing and excessive body motion?
    I think you also have a 2000. Was it made after april 2000, with the longer front coil springs, that I suspect are softer than the shorter ones?
    I am considering replacing at least the front struts with KYB or Tokico (not well know in Canada), and also replacing the front coil springs. I live in Quebec, where the roads are kind of bumpier than the ones in US. If successful in suppressing the kicking, I will then replace the rear struts.
  • Options
    sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I have noticed that I can feel minor road imperfections slightly more significantly since the Tokicos were put on the car. The noise did not change. Our Avy had 46k miles on it when we bought it. It would pitch and roll like an old Cadillac with bad shocks when we bought it. When we would traverse speed humps(not bumps) the front would bottom at least once, and the back at least once, possibly twice. Since the Tokicos this has all stopped. The handling is much more resposnsive, and the car does not lean around curves as it used to. I think it is a much better ride, and worth the money spent.

On the other hand, the Avy is my Wife's driver. I drive a Tahoe Z-71 with off road suspension. It is very stiff, but makes the handling much more controllable, so I appreciate the Tokicos a little more possibly.
  • Options
    jluther2jluther2 Member Posts: 18
    I had some spare time today and took a 2000 Avalon Limited for a drive. I currently own a 2003 XLS with all options except Navigation - 38,000 miles.
    Other than the tremendous increase in power I did not find :) the 05 Lmited to be impressive. No body side moldings for protection in parking lots. Door lock controls still not luminated, minor but bothers me. Brand new vehicle also had a minor vibration which I could feel in the seat - probably tire balance problem.
    Sticker price was $35,751. Dealer wanted my car and $15,751. in "real" dollars I figure they were offering me, at the most, about $17,000 for my 03 Avalon.
    I'll spend the bucks & change the struts. I live in the Boston No Shore area and can not locate Tokico Struts - can find the KYB's with no problem. Does anyone know if there is much difference with the Tockci & KYB Struts? Thanks
  • Options
    JLUTHER2:

There is not alot of difference in ride quality or handling. I bought my Tokico's on the net, but I cannot recall from where. You can go onto there website or do a search and put your car info in. First, find a good shop that deals with axle, suspension, alignment, etc. Do not take it to a muffler shop. Unless you have the heavy equip to do yourself, you will probably not be happy.

I too feel the same about the new Avalon. I would rather buy a Honda Accord with folding mirrors and be done with it. When changing the struts, also change the strut rubber mounts, gotten at a local Toyota dealership. You might as well since tthey are going in there.

You will notice quite a difference. To bump it up another notch, some have changed the rubber sway bar bushings to PU(poly urethane) with remarkable handling results.

Good luck.

abfisch
  • Options
    We have a 2000 XLS and it seems to us that the garage door opener is getting weaker. It's been used alot over the 5 years we've had our Avy.

Does the garage door opener have a battery? Is it replaceaable?

Thanks In Advance
  • Options
    pcp2pcp2 Member Posts: 12
    I also have a 2000 Avalon XLS with 64K MI with the same problem. Here is what I did to fix the same problem.
    1. Replaced plugs with same type as originals
    2. Replaced fuel filter
    3. Replaced PCV valve
    4. Replaced Trans. fluid
    5. Replaced Anti-Freeze
    6. Replaced engine air filter
    7. Added 2 tanks of fuel with bottle of Chevron Fuel Injector Cleaner
    I think that is about all I did. The steady burning check engine light, VSC, and VSC OFF lights no longer come on. I have driven it over 250 mi and no problem YET. One of the trouble codes showed lean burn on the frond bank of cylinders. This led me to believe that either it was a Fuel Injector problem or spark problem. I also had an engine stumbling problem when hitting passing gear at high speeds. I believe that the gas I get now days is of poor quality and deposits are a problem. Don't know if this helps you but it is my 2 cents worth.. I sure wish they still made the RWD Cressida. It was far superior to the FWD Avalon. I will not pay the inflated prices for a RWD GS Lexus.
  • Options
    I too liked the Cressida way back in the day, although the plastic dash was cheaper, and there was no bench seat. Without Traction Control, it wasn't a 4 season car either. So, back in the day it was nice, but it cannot take the place of our 00-04 Avalon now. Thanks for your comments above. I have 60K on an 02 Avalon without VSC, so I do not have to worry about the light although I am unsure how some of them are interelated.

abfisch
  • Options
    We scheduled an appointment for Monday of this past week. However, last Saturday night when I started the Avy, all of the lights went off normally.

I think it was the "loose" gas cap induced problem because my neighborhood mechanic read the OBD II codes as 'evap container problem' which has to do with the fuel recovery system.

Things have been normal all week (knock on wood).

Thanks for your suggestions, though.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Well when I came home this afternoon, my wife was in the garage beside her Avalon, tinkering with the passenger side mirror. She was trying to get the white paint from the garage entry off of the mirror. She had brushed the garage as she was parking it after work.

Since our 2000 XLS doesn't have fold back mirrors, it flexed a bit then evidently popped loose, with a small hole now visible in the 'crotch' of the mirror where an interior screw formerly held it tight to the body from the inside.

I cleaned off most of the white paint from the garage with rubbing compound but I think the whole assembly needs replacing since its loose and no longer water tight.

Question:

* How easy is it to take off the mirror - so interior panel must need to be removed?
    * Where is a good place to get a replacement

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

G
  • Options
    fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Thanks all. I have enjoyed your posts and found useful information here. My 96 XLS suffered a transmission failure a few weeks ago. Only 73,000 miles on the car. The transmission fluid had been changed about 35K ago. Car had been running well and gave no indication there was a transmission problem. According to two shops, apparently one gear stripped, a very rare situation. The gear was probably defective since day one.

I was starting to have electrical problems with the car. No electrical parts failed, but apparently corrosion was forming inside connectors. Just unplugging and reconnecting takes care of the problems, but following the procedures in the service manual can be expensive if not DIY.

Decided not to fix the transmission. I was looking at a lot of preventive maintenance due and the thought of putting more into the car than the car was worth (if sold) didn't seem like a good idea, especially in a ten year old car. The new car is not as roomy, doesn't handle as well, does not accelerate nearly as well, but is at least as quiet (quieter I think), rides nearly as well, and gets, over all so far, 48 mpg vs.18 or so for the Avalon.
  • Options
    I just drained the Auto Trans fluid. Removed plug and drained 3 gts. and replaced with 3 gts of new fluid. When I take a fluid level check with dip stick it reads all over the place. Sometimes it shows 1 Qt over full than just a few Oz. over full. I have been checking it when engine is hot. When I check it after the car sits overnight (cool) and engine OFF it still reads over full not in the COOL range on the dip stick. What am I doing wrong? Should I check it with the engine hot, engine running, in gear? out of gear neutral? I can not find the instructions in the owners manual. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Transmission Fluid Check:

The car should be at normal operating temperature, on level ground, engine running, shift lever in Park. Remove dipstick, wipe clean with lint free rag. Insert stick, remove slowly. Hold rag under dipstick to avoid fluid drops on hot engine. Read level on the stick. Anything between the marks will work, but if near the LOW end you may want to add a little. Never overfill.

Hope this helps. Remember that you have only replaced a small part of the fluid capacity. Most of the old fluid remains. At some point in the future you will need to drain it all for maximum transmission life. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. Understand I only changed part of the fluid. How about running the car for a few weeks than changing part of the fluid again? That would flush more of the old stuff out. I had a complete fluid and filter change 30K miles ago by dealer.
    Your thoughts?
  • Options
    Hmmmm... If you can change only 15% of the fluid each time, and change that 15% every 90 days, the laws of mathematical progression say it will take over a year to change about half the fluid. Surely there is a better way..... ;)

My idea, and some who post here say this is excessive, is to flush and fill at 30k mile intervals. You get it ALL. This will give you max life service from the transmission. I do not use synthetic but those who do seem to like it. The interval may be different as to changes.

The Avalon transmission operates at high temp and pressure. Fluid wears out as does motor oil. It loses the ability to do the job. All my work is done by Toyota but that is a personal choice and not necessary (no DIY here). Anything beyond 30k, in my opinion, will tend to shorten the life of the transmission. By how much is an arguable point. They usually last for years anyway.

Make your own decision, enjoy your Avy..great cars. :)
  • Options
    Just like to follow up my last message regarding replacement of all four struts by my Toyota's dealer to improve and soften the ride.
    My local mechanic contacted the regional KYB representative. He mentioned that KYB was supplying Toyota with replacement struts. Those replacements are about 15% stiffer than the ones installed at factory. So, the replacements installed last month on my Avy are actually KYB, thought maybe not GR2.

Last Friday, I switched the 15-inch wheels from my Avalon XL 1996 with Michelin tires to my 2000 XLS. That alone made a big difference in ride comfort, calming the front end jiggling of the 2000. However, the front-end kicking over large dips remained. By the way, the 16-inch wheels with Goodyear Comfort Tread tires also had a positive effect on the 1996 Avy, making it more stable and quiet, without affecting the comfortable ride and without any jiggling.

I ordered and had installed yesterday the longer 378.4 mm front coil springs for the XLS 2000, retaining the struts installed by my Toyota dealer last month. Those coil springs are actually softer, raised the front end a bit, and virtually stopped the kicking effect. So now, I am quite happy with the result. The Toyota replacement struts made by KYB firmed the ride while retaining all the comfort with the longer coil springs that Toyota should have installed in the first place from day 1 for the 2000 models. The car no longer bottoms over dips or wallows over big bumps. Now it rides more comfortably than my 1996.

By the way, just to compare, I road tested a Avalon Premium 2005. Beside a huge improvement in acceleration, a nicer silhouette and a sportier dashboard, I found it harder riding that I expected over ruts and bumps, thought it feels quite tight and quiet on the road. Therefore, I won't buy it because the ride is too firm for my taste.
  • Options
    Glad the tires are helping both cars. If you will post the complete tire sizes there is a program that calculates speedometer differences. Will give you the exact change in readout if you need it.......... :)