Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    I indeed get the $21+ that anon came up with. But I thought I did this for FL, unless I had my zips confused..

Anonymous, I owe you my apologies.

One thing that we can certainly agree on is that SET is the exception and not the rule. So, unless you live in SET, then the invoice pricing of the 2004 Camry LE with (ABS, Side Curtains, Moonroof, Mats) falls about $1000 to $700 short of the price of the Accord EX.

Going back to the source of debate, I said it then and I'll say it again- some prefer the a la carte Toyota pricing, and some Honda's all-inclusive. Just like the cars, its a matter of preference.

~alpha
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    "So, unless you live in SET, then the invoice pricing of the 2004 Camry LE with (ABS, Side Curtains, Moonroof, Mats) falls about $1000 to $700 short of the price of the Accord EX."

But you are still getting less features with the Camry. I believe the only advantage that Camry would have is the power seat. Although if you consider dealer's fire sale prices on the Camry you can probably get a Camry for even less than the prices we mention above. OTOH, Accords can be had below invoice right now as well in some areas.

I prefer the all-inlusive approach. Nothing is worse than being able to build a car with every eact option you want only to find that the manufacturer only makes 2 cars in that combo. When I was searching for my latest Accord I knew that as long as it said EX-L manual transmission it would be the exact model I wanted. No guesswork involved. Out of curiousity though I did search for a Camry SE manual transmission and only came up with one.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Wow; a passionate debate about Plain vanilla vs French Vanilla. I went with plain vanilla because the French vanilla dealer was about 40 miles away. I know 210 Hp and 220 lb-ft isn't much by today's standard but hey, it gets me from point A to point B in utmost comfort and quietness. I paid about $21.7G's for my LE sixpot which I think is a great deal. No side curtain airbags though. Should have spent the extra dough for safety.
  • Options
    Its more like Vanilla Bean vs. French Vanilla, I think. (Also, motownusa, that 220 foot-pounds is more twist than Accords engine, and by Car and Driver's watch, the Accord V6 does 60 in 7.0 seconds, with the 02, 192hp/4 speed auto Camry version running 7.9 to sixty.. so numbers probably improved with the VVTi and 5 sp...)

Anonymous, the EX-L 5M Accord represents a very small slice of the Accord sales pie, as does the Camry SE 5M.

On pricing, you state "But you are still getting less features with the Camry". Thats true, but thats why its 700-1000 less in most regions than an Accord EX at invoice. Really, the only major things I think you're really giving up are the alloy wheels, cd changer, and rear disc brakes (since we're talking about a Camry w/ moonroof). Also, don't forget that the 2005 Camry invoice prices seem lower than those of the 2004s, according to edmunds.com. This is the point the original poster was trying to make- in order for prospective Accord buyers to get a moonroof, it has to be the EX. Camry buyers can choose 3 of the 4 trim lines if they want a moonroof, OTOH. So the buyer who doesnt care about alloys, for example, can get a more closely spec-ed to preference Camry than Accord.

~alpha
  • Options
    307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    With the Camry, you still have to take them the way the dealers stock them. Just because the website or brochure says a certain combination of options is theoretically possible on Camry, doesn't mean you will be able to find one like that. It's not like domestic cars where you can order them any way you want as long as you are willing to give up the rebates and wait up to 12 weeks for your custom factory order.

With Accord, you just choose model and colors plus any dealer-installed accessories you might want. Simple.
  • Options
    But my point is that with the options being offered ala carte it can make it harder to get the exact car you want. Whereas with the Accord you already know what you are going to have to give up or take when you opt for the EX vs. the LX or vice versa. Just different philosophies for different cars.

The ala carte options are one theory of why the Camry has lower resale than a comparable Accord.
  • Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Options almost never have the resale value of a vehicle as those same options included as standard equipment.
          Honda is one of the few companies that do not have a long list of options for each vehicle. Makes it easier to get a vehicle EXACTLY as desired after looking at the manufacturer's brochures or doing research here at Edmunds web site.
  • Options
    dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Just test drove an Accord V6 with Nav and came away very impressed except for one thing...a great deal of road noise. A ton when compared to the Camry...The Honda has more bells and whistles, but it is too noisy. Has anyone had any success in quieting this road noise problem? (The car had the Michelin MVX4's for tires.)
  • Options
    The Accord will be slightly louder than a Camry. Most of it is tire choice though. The Michelins have a pretty long tread life and decent all-weather capability but they are not the quietest tire nor do they do the most for the Accord's handling. I'm not sure if you can find an Accord without the Michelins on it for a test drive but I'm pretty sure it would make a difference in the amount of road noise.
  • Options
    egretegret Member Posts: 10
    My wife & I are shopping for a new vehicle for the two of us & our first baby. We're considering a 4-cylinder Accord or Camry with automatic transmission & side airbags. Since we live in southern AZ, AC is very important. Does anyone know whether the Accord or the Camry has a better-working AC, in terms of cooling effectiveness and reliability, especially in a hot locale? We're hoping for something where both the front and back seats get cool enough, even at 2 pm on the hottest days. (Our Honda Civic does not!) Also, we would like to know whether one or the other is more safe and reliable for a growing family, with easy access to and fitting of an infant seat. TIA
  • Options
    dolphindolphin Member Posts: 71
    Camry has rear air registers, the Accord does not.
  • Options
    excivicowner81excivicowner81 Member Posts: 6
    My 2003 Camry LE has Michelin tires, and it's quiet as hell. I don't think Accords noise level has anything to do with the tires.
  • Options
    bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    Tires can affect road noise, but most agree that the main difference between these two fine cars is the ride and handling, with the Camry being a softer ride, and the Accord being a sportier ride. It stands to reason the Camry might be a quieter ride. I did back to back test drives of a 2004 Camry LE and an Accord LX. I don't remember noticing a difference in road noise, but the Camry had a smoother ride on patchy roads.
  • Options
    There are different kinds of Michelin tires.
    Saying you have Michelin tires is almost like saying you have dark-colored tires, therefore they must be the same.
  • Options
    bamacarbamacar Member Posts: 749
    I thought that the rear registers were only on the XLE. The last couple of comparisons in the car magazines have shown a few ironic results. Camry has done better on the slalom handling test, and Accord was shown to be quieter.
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    Tires require break-in period and will quiet down somewhat. The Camry is a quieter car, but the Accord is more of a "driver's car" with respect to its tighter ride and handling. You really can't avoid this trade-off.

The Camry is a fine car, but I bought the '04 Accord (EX-L 4 cyl. AT sedan) because it's more fun to drive and has a more inspired interior design, too. Also, the Accord is a simpler purchase because everything that matters (including side curtain airbags) comes with the car. No options of any kind are required....Richard
  • Options
    You are quite right. Many bemoan the Camry's handling abilities because it (in non SE form) is a very comfortable riding car, with soft-feeling handling, but its actual dynamic capabilities are in-line with the Accords when measured, and the Camry V6 can stop far shorter according to Car and Driver, than can the Accord EX V6 sedan, for example.

~alpha
  • Options
    chiguy1chiguy1 Member Posts: 14
    We found ourselves in a very similar situation; we have a Civic now (and we hate the AC of our 95 Civic), and are expecting our first child, necessitating a four door car. Like you, we narrowed our search to an Accord or Camry. From what we could tell, (1) you can't use the LATCH car seat in the middle back position (the one recommended as best) in either the Camry or Accord, (2) you can use LATCH in either side of the backseat of both cars, and (3) it's okay to put the baby on the side in the backseat with the side curtain airbag. If you have a different view, we'd love to hear it (we inspected the manuals and found them very confusing).

On the A/C issue, we were cognizant of it because it's so bad in our Civic. The Honda top of the line has the dual zone feature, which is nice, but the A/C, as a whole, in the Accord seemed clunkier and noisier than the Camry. Not very precise, I know, but the Camry A/C seemed to be a bit more effective given the same level of air. That was our impression. And, as someone noted, only the Camry has the vent in the back.

Good luck on the car and congratulations on your baby. (Ours is due in October.)
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    I have a 2003 4 cylinder Accord with an automatic trans, and the AC is great. The car has plenty of power. The vehicle now has 32,000+ miles on the clock, and not one problem. It is dealer serviced, and the oil and filter are changed every 3,000 miles. I do not believe in extended oil and filter changes. A clean engine is a happy engine, and a happy engine runs efficiently for a long time. Extended oil and filter changes are simply a marketing tool. It has no place in the real operational world.
  • Options
    zed421vzed421v Member Posts: 28
    I have a 2003 SE. It has rear air registers. When I use them however, it takes away from the air up front. I drove the LE XLE and SE. I find my SE more fun to drive than the LE or XLE. I find my AC only gets cold enough when I use it in the inside air mode.
  • Options
    The AC in my 03 coupe and both 04 sedans provide good cooling IMO. The coupe was even black with black leather and the AC was more than adequate for our hottest days here in GA last year. Our first 04 sedan was silver with black leather and our current is red with dark gray leather. So far the lowest temp I have had to turn the climate control to is 72 degrees.

One suggestion is tinted windows. My black 03 coupe had tint all the way around and it seemed to get the coolest inside even though it was a heat magnet.
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    Greg - Let the oil change issue rest. Nobody asked and it has been discussed to death on multiple occasions. We are all far too familiar with your thoughts on this topic. If you must continue to discuss it there are entire boards dedicated to just changing oil.
  • Options
    bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    I almost typed the same thing. At least Greg didn't mention useless upper cylinder lubricant this time.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    How 'bout we ALL let that issue rest - no need for more "let it rest" posts, okay? :)
  • Options
    atltechatltech Member Posts: 1
    I don't know about Az but in Atl,Ga the Camry has the better air.I just had the pleasure of driving a 04 Camry Le for a week and the difference between the Camry and my wife's Accord was a eye opener.The Camry has a better A/C plus is a whole lot quieter.It's bigger,better basic package,etc
    Now the Accord out performs as far as handling & brakes but the Camry was better as a family sedan.I love the Honda but I think I would have rather bought the Camry...atltech2000
  • Options
    kurtamaxxguykurtamaxxguy Member Posts: 677
    Having owned both Camry and Accord, these things come to mind:

Camry had better air conditioning in that it moved more air.
    Honda had firmer seats and ride - definitely more sporting.
    Camry was quieter and handled nasty bumps better - better for long trips on freeways.

Also, according to some CA lemon law lawyers I queried, one will get better resolution of a "lemon" with Toyota. My personal experience with a former Honda backs it up.
  • Options
    My '04 Accord EX-L AT sedan is my first Honda and I've been driving cars with automatic trasmissions for 44 years. The current Accord's AT is by far the smoothest shifting trans I've ever driven and it's perfectly matched to the car's 4 cyl. engine. I doubt if any other car near the Accord's price is as good.......Richard
  • Options
    bd21bd21 Member Posts: 437
    The Camry's transmission is as smooth or smoother than the Accords. Camry's warranty is longer, ride is definetly smoother and the trunk is a lot bigger. Personally, I think it looks better too. And the the price is around the same or less than and Accord. Lastly, there are recalls on Honda's transmission and numerous complaints about brakes, warped rotors and rattles. I have two Hondas; an 01 Accord & 04 Civic, but I have driven both the new Camry and 04 Accord and I would recommend the Camry. I just had my dad buy a 05 Camry. He thought the Accord rode like a truck compared to a Camry and I would have to agree. Younger drivers tend to like the Accord's ride better though. It's all about choice. Smart buyers should read all of the message boards and then take good back to back test drives in both cars and in the end everyone just has to make the best informed choice they can. For the record, I'm 45 with a highly mechanical background and my Dad is 70.
  • Options
    simonsez5simonsez5 Member Posts: 21
    I know the majority of camcord buyers opt for the automatic trannys, I'll be buying a manual-equipped 4 cyl. sedan soon and am considering these 2 since price wise they are almost identical. From all accounts it always appears that the Accord is the "sportier" one of the 2 but doesn't the Camry SE have a stiffer suspension and better rubber? Wouldn't that make it as sporty? Which one would be faster in a straight line and on a curvy mountain road? Also, I keep hearing that the 05 Camry now makes 160 hp, the canadian website still shows 157, I know it's a tiny difference but is the 160 hp engine true? I would appreciate to hear comments from anyone who owns either.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    Clearly, you'll need to drive both to really get a feel for the characteristics of each car.

Having owned both a Camry and an Accord (though both were automatics), I imagine that you'll find the Accord more sporty. I haven't driven a Camry SE, though, so it's not a totally accurate comparison.

In my ownership experience, the Camry was more reliable, but I don't think that many people have had problems with the manual Honda engine.
  • Options
    I've had absolutely no problem with the AC in either my 03, 04, or second 04 Accord keeping the car cool even during the hottest times here in Atlanta.

I test drove a Camry when they first arrived in 02 but I was unimpressed. It drove nicely enough, was pretty quiet, and way more responsive than the 97-01 Camry 4 cylinder prior to it but the interior turned me and my husband off. I was willing to look at one when we decided we wanted to trade our 04 Accord sedan automatic for a manual transmission but there was only one SE with a sunroof in the entire area. Besides, my husband was still against the idea of a Camry because of the interior and no XM radio.

So we bought another Accord, this time a manual EX-L in Redondo Red. It's a gorgeous car with rear spoiler, fog lights, front chin spoiler, splash guards, and fenderwell trim. The 4 cylinder/manual combination is splendid and a dream to drive. I could never imagine myself being this happy with a Camry regardless of the bigger trunk and softer ride.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    I would differ with you here, as I feel teh Accord's 5 speed auto is much smoother and better matched to the engine than the Camry's.

The Accord is designed to have a stiffer (sportier) ride and is thus preferred by buyers who want to feel the road more. The Camry is surely a smoother ride, and no one can beat Toyota when it comes to isolation.

As for issues, Honda automatics do seem to haev some issues, but then Toyota is not fautless here. They had major sludge issues and have in fact sent letters to all 97-01 owners to this point. All cars will be repaired at Toyota's cost.

I have been driving a 2003 Accord since Oct 02, and have done close to 40k miles. I had a tranny issue and it was replaced promptly by Honda, and I really appreciated the speed with with the issue was resolved.

Even after this happening, given a choice, I will still pick an Accord over anything else in the segment for its virtues which I feel I value more than maybe someone else would. I also looked at the Camry, but the interior, front seats, and the mushy feel of the brakes put me off. Having said that, there is no doubt that both these cars are excellent choices, though they seem to cater to slightly different audiences.
  • Options
    You've driven the Camry's 5 speed auto/4 cylinder combination? Its arguably a better combination than the Camry 5A/V6, but even that depends on the 3.3L vs 3.0L. So exactly which were you talking about?

The interior of the Camry, IMO, has been well improved for the 2005 MY- just as the electroluminescent treatment did great things for the Accord, so have the new gauges for the Camry. Additionally, the center stack/console is now covered, a welcome addition.

The Camry also offers VSC on all models, a big selling point, IMO, and completely unavailable on the Accord.

~alpha
  • Options
    greglawsongreglawson Member Posts: 20
    Yes, I consider the addition of a cover, and accord-like gauges "well improved"

</endsarcasm>
  • Options
    I just checked out the pictures of the 05 Camry interior and it's not significantly different from the 02-04. The basic dash design is still the same and we still do not like it. It's not that the car isn't nice .. it's just not our cup of tea as I'm assuming the Accord isn't yours.

The Accord now has standard side and side curtain airbags along with standard ABS from the DX up. This is also a big selling point on the Accord's side.
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Arguably is the key word regarding the tranny/engine combo.

The interior is better than the older Camry, but I still like the Accord's much better.
  • Options
    zhelderzhelder Member Posts: 42
    Your posts echo my sentiments exactly. I was originally planning to buy a Camry. Aside from not liking the experience at the Toyota dealer I went to (indifferent salesman who quoted an outrageous price and a claim that there were no vehicles on site that I could start up) I was unimpressed with the Camry's interior. I sat in one in the dealer showroom and felt squished and the interior looked severely dated. When I sat in the Accord and everything lit up, I felt like I was piloting a spaceship. I was hooked. I also agree that the '05 Camry interior contains only minor improvments, and is still light years behind the Accord's interior. As you said, the Camry is a nice car, but I'm loving my Accord and I'm thoroughly convinced I made the right decision.
  • Options
    bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    of the Accord looked as good as the interior, we would be in Honda heaven. I spoke with a couple of Accord owners and they're hoping that the next gen Accord looks a little better. Still, they don't regret their decision nor should they, the Accord is a great car (besides, you spent most of your time inside the vehicle and the interior is important)

I have to agree that Honda usually leads Toyota when it comes to the interior, new / standard features, etc. but the Camry is still well-matched with the Accord (and a large number of drivers agree) Toyota made some nice updates to the interior, as much as they could until the next gen at least.

One more thing, sometimes a negative experience at a dealer can turn a person off and send that person to the competition (its not always the vehicle's fault)
  • Options
    As evidenced by the new Solara, Toyota could've done much more with the Camry's interior.
  • Options
    "As evidenced by the new Solara, Toyota could've done much more with the Camry's interior."

They have to save something for the next Camry, why waste money on designing a new dash when the next gen Camry is only 2 years away.
  • Options
    The dash should have never been so plain and dated looking in the first place.
    It isn't only less stylish than the Accord dash, it is worse than
    Passat and Altima.
    The Solara dash is Lexus like in design with cheaper materials.
  • Options
    The Camry is a competent car, but the combination of its over-soft ride and bland interior made the car feel dull to drive.

The Accord's "Gee, whiz" display and better looking interior controls were strong selling points along with its much tighter ride. When the Honda was new it almost felt too harsh, but after a couple of thousand miles the tires and other parts seemed to have smoothed out a bit. I think the Accord rides very well now--firm and well controlled.

The car I fully expected to buy (I had a Mazda and liked it) was the Mazda 6i, but its 4 cyl. engine and clunky, Ford transmission were poorly matched--the car felt sluggish on initial acceleration and hunted between 2nd and 3rd gears on hills--crude for a new car these days.

The Mazda had the best handling and brakes, but on balance, the Accord seemed to be a better choice for me--no regrets since buying the '04 Accord EX-L a year ago.

I see that the Camry now has "Optitron" gauges that modernize the dash--that's an improvement........Richard
  • Options
    apharrapharr Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in buying a new car and I have narrowed my choices down to the Toyota Camry XLE (with leather and navigational system) and the Honda Accord EX V6 with leather and navigational system. I currently have a 93 Ford Taurus which has gone out on me many times so reliablity is a major factor in my decision. Which car is better, and most importantly, more reliable?
  • Options
    You have to drive them. They drive differently and you will have a preference in driving feel and ride.
  • Options
    bernie3bernie3 Member Posts: 48
    The above post describes the difference as simply as you will hear it -- it comes down to which one you enjoy driving. I did back to back test drives of an 04 Accord LX and an 04 Camry LE. I didn't notice substantial differences in the dash layout, upholstery, or design appeal. After driving both, I decided I will be buying a Camry because I liked the smoother ride over patchy roads. If I did a lot of mountain driving on winding roads, or was a more aggressive driver, I'd probably prefer the Accord. To me, the closer a car feels to sitting in my recliner at home, the more I like it. It's a matter of taste.
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi All:

___Although I believe the Accord the superior automobile for any number of reasons, I saw a local dealer selling new 04 Camry LE&#146;s for just $15,988! This is a long way from $17,500 for an LX in our neck of the woods. Chicago area that is …

___I wish Honda offered the Camry&#146;s smooth ride and wish Toyota offered the handling of the Accord.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Camry's ride is softer than the Accord's, but after a couple of thousand miles the tires, etc. break in a bit and the Accord's ride loses much of the harshness experienced on test drives in new Accords with almost no miles on them.....Richard
  • Options
    apharrapharr Member Posts: 2
    So which car would you all say is more reliable, the Honda Accord or the Toyota Camry?
  • Options
    both are very reliable
  • Options
    ohiocarguyohiocarguy Member Posts: 28
    "Better" is such a subjective term!

First, you DO have to drive them both. They have a different feel. Many people think the Accord does not have as comfortable of a ride as the Camry, but others prefer the Accord because they feel more connected to the road and the car.

Second, the looks of each are different. Which do you like more?

Third, consider the dealers. Some Toyota dealers really help out the nearby Honda dealers, and I'm sure the reverse is sometimes true.

You may notice I'm not mentioning the cost. The pricing shouldn't be all that different. Who knows, if you spend more for one than the other you may get even more back at resale. If you care about your car at all, I think you are better off buying what you like rather than what you can save a little cash on. Would you want to get in it every day and think, "It's nice but I liked the other car a little more?"