Options

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• Options
    cutedhcutedh Member Posts: 31
    You cannot compare a LE V6 to a EX V6. That is not a fair comparison. If you happen to test drive the SE V6 to the EX V6, you would find that there is not much of a difference between the two, except for 2 things. The accord handles a tad better than the camry but the camry is quieter than the accord with better suspension. I am honestly shocked at how my Camry handles Bumps. This car has exceeded my expectations.

The reason I picked the Camry over the accord was for the nicer ride, comfort, and quietness and not to race other cars. If I wanted to race other cars, my pick would be the Mustang or the Infiniti G35. I am not even going to get into the exterior looks department.
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I prefer a car that looks good, handles good, has a nice interior, is available with options AND a manual transmission, AND is extremely reliable. That's why I bought my Accord. No regrets. As nice as the Camry is it's just not my cup of tea.

I have said it more than once. They appeal to different audiences. To say one is ugly is personal preference and really has no place in this forum. I happen to think the Camrys rear could be better along with the interior. That doesn't mean that there aren't some of you who love the Camry interior and rear-end styling.

The average age is just that, an average. That doesn't mean that there won't be people who fall below or go above those averages. I was 19 when I bought my first new Accord and we bought a Honda Odyssey last year when I was 24. I would be willing to bet the average new Accord buyer isn't 19 and the average Odyssey buyer is probably a good bit older than 24. So take the average age data with a grain of salt but realize that an average is just that, an average.
  • Options
    bizibizi Member Posts: 17
    Many of us posting here are either Accord or Camry owners, or both. For instance, I have both, but only one of them is current model. It is natural for us to defend our own car, even its style. Obviously, whatever we say here is not going to change the car we've bought, and probably not our opinions either. However, what we say here can benefit the next potential Accord or Camry buyer, which I was just a couple of months ago. I did benefit from this and other forums, even though I was reasonably knowledgable of these cars. Alas, model year to model year, trim to trim, these cars change a lot. Every bit of information will be helpful. Most readers of this forum probably understand that opinions here are personal opinions. Collectively, he/she may deduce some useful information from. Non-factual data stated here are generally countered by other posters, which is healthy. There are "extremists" in many forums, and I think users would (and need to) learn placing doubts on those posts. Some statements has the potential to scare off someone weak-in-heart (Wild example: xx car's wheel will fall off in parking lots).

To make the information more useful, I'd suggest that we state model and trim in comparisons, unless the information apply to all models and trims (most information probably won't apply across "generation" of models). I found that Accord DX and Accord V6 coupe, or base Camry LE and Solara (even V6 SE) appeal to very different markets, and have diffrent characters. I for one, think that Camry has more merit in one trim, but Accord is a step up in the other. If you are cross shopping, it would help to test drive the both models that you are trying to make a decision from and the trims close to that (decision is hard for many of us:-).
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Bizi: Great post! Thanks for your comments. These are some of the reasons why it would be a real shame if the Host closed this forum. The Camry vs. Accord has always been and will continue to be a very important comparison for future sedan buyers.
  • Options
    peterpanpeterpan Member Posts: 120
    The stats serves to compare the Accord to the Camry. Isn't it what this forum for?

The second purpose is to provide information for prospective buyers of both cars. Is there anything wrong with that?

Some of these guys are bashing the Camry and the spoiler as ugly. Do you see any Camry owner getting upset?

I suggest that we all debate the facts and figures like intelligent, civilized people, and stop harassing other posters.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Your figures about numbers of posts are not "stats" as I've already explained and they do nothing to further this conversation in any useful way. Please drop this and move on.
  • Options
    ex v6ex v6 Member Posts: 14
    I have been reading about the problems new accords having (cracking, rattels etc)on the honda problems forum. I have visited the Camry problems forum and don't see as many compalints posted. It seems like there are more complaints about accords compared to Camry. If so, why is that editor reviews on many car sites are favourable to Accord inspite of Camry winning the best car award? My heart is set on an Accord EX v6 but not sure if I should buy it with all those problems. I would appreciate any responses as I have to buy a car in the next few days but cann't decide between camry and accord. Thanks
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    See site below......Richard

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050128/laf046_1.html
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    Accord *may* have a chance to outsell camry this year!
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    "I for one, think that Camry has more merit in one trim, but Accord is a step up in the other."

Bizi, that is phenomenal commentary, and captures my sentiment exactly.

Note that recently, I'll try and find the post number, that someone did compare his 04 Accord EX V6 to his new Camry SE V6. (He owns them concurrently).

-alpha

Edit: Its POST 1800 on this thread.
  • Options
    ex v6: From the screen name, seems that you have your mind made already, but still have concern in one area. Basically, the question is which car is more trouble-free?

I did some basic research before, and I didn't find a clear answer on the question. I was able to reaffirm, however, they are both good in this area. I'd be interested in more data from other members too.

1. The discussion boards you mentioned. Pat (the host) already pointed out that we shouldn't read too much into the number of complains here. I read those boards to learn what kind of potential problems to expect, and assess if there is a potential (common) problem that I cannot tolerate. There are quite some complains about Accord "rattles, creaking", and some said that it happened more in '03 (the first new generation) models, and improved in '05. Not sure. On the other hand, there is a discussion board named "Camry Rattles" here in Edmunds which I'm sure you saw already. Depend on your sensitivity, these may or may not be a significant problem.

2. "Scientific" data. It's surprisingly hard to find online statistics on past repair or problem complaint records. Some Canadian data: http://www.caa.ca/e/automotive/pdf/autopinion-03.pdf

Between Accord and Camry, one can read either way, Accord's data is excellent for '98-'02, but that's last generation (no current gen data). If you compare both Accord and Camry to many other vehicles listed there, then things are in perspective: both Accord and Camry are good.

I believe Consumer Report keeps track of repair survey data, but I don't have current subscription. From memory of past data, again, both are good. Also, we all know that there are other customer satisfaction surveys (e.g. JD Power).

3. Neither of them can make every car trouble free. As good as the reputation of both of these cars are, some people get the impression that the next Accord/Camry he/she purchase will be trouble free. That's probably an expectation set too high. I had one Camry that had leaking transmission oil while brand new. I didn't think that's a general problem with Camry though. It's just an individual car, a small sample. It is good enough to say, however, not every Camry is trouble free (we already knew that:-) Sometimes, it just depend on individual luck. I'd believe that the chance of a problem to happen in an Accord or Camry is more depend on individual car than the brand (obviously, some parts are more likely to fail in Accord, but other parts are more likely to fail in Camry, I'm talking about overall chance here, i.e. deviation vs. difference in average)

A side comment: there are some surveys indicate that the Accord/Camry build quality advantage over some domestic cars are dwindling over years. I tend to believe that. Coincidently, in my memory, our 1990 Camry was trouble free. To be fair though, at that time, driver's air bag was a novelty (what is ABS?), and my expectation of a car was much lower. You know, good old days:-)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good post bizi, thanks.

And thanks to all of you who have pitched in to get this discussion back on track! :)
  • Options
    According to Consumer Reports which in my experience is very accurate in describing trouble spots in cars, the Camry is statistically less of a problem for 2003 and 2004 than the Accord. The Camry is rated well above average for those years and Accord is only above average (not well above). Still, being "above average" is quite good these days because ALL cars have improved in recent years. Average is pretty good these days.

In 2002, the current Camry's first year, it's reliability was only "average" which was low for a Toyota. The Accord has been "above average" for 2003 and 2004, the first full years of the current model.

The Camry is currently statistically superior in reliability to the Accord but not enough to make a significant difference. Both cars are excellent but they do have different driving characteristics.

People who like their cars to be soft and quiet are better off with the Camry and those who like a firmer riding, "driver's car" will probably prefer the Accord. This was my observation when I tested cars 17 months ago and chose the '04 Accord EX-L.

Styling differences are a matter of personal preference and aren't worth discussing.

Fortunately, both cars are superior to most other cars--certainly for the money, both cars are good choices. Just drive them first to experience their differences........Richard
  • Options
    FWIW: I've put approximately 46,000 miles between 3 different 03-04 Accord models. All were reliable without problems (knock on wood as I still own a 2004 sedan).
  • Options
    You should look at the the severity and frequency of problems in both cars and decide whether you should take the risks owning them.
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    I am talking about camry's interior styling. Imo, the camry looks more refined than the accord. I am talking about the quality of material. First comes the Camry, then the passat and in 3rd comes the accord. Look at CR.

That order in CR is for how they rate the cars overall and not specifically the interior. i know you personally like the camry's interior more than the accord's interior. i was pointing out that the consensus of opinion from auto publications don't share your opinion as you indicated.
  • Options
    The rumor is that there will be further changes next year. It seems that Honda is aware of people's perception on this.

perhaps you're right. but keep in mind that it's normal and expected for the accord to receive these changes at this stage of its current design. the camry had some changes/improvements for 05. the accord is a year behind the camry in the design cycle.
  • Options
    wsmith1wsmith1 Member Posts: 1
    I am driving my 3rd Camry. I looked at the Accord prior to buying the Camry. When the salesman told me that a full sized spare tire wouldn't fit in the trunk where the small spare is I didn't buy it. While driving my 1999 Camry from Kansas City I got a flat tire. With the full size spare, no problem. With the donut tire you can only drive fairly slow and not too far.

Since the regular tire wouldn't fit in the space for the donut spare. Where would I put it. The truck is full of luggage, and we had four people in the car. Camry has a full size spare as you probably know. That's the only reason I chose Camry (plus I never had a problem with the other two. My present car is 2004 Model Camry.
  • Options
    Personally, there are lots of cars that I would buy before I purchased a Camry. Not because the Camry is a bad car but it's just not the type of car I want to drive.
  • Options
    htthtt Member Posts: 75
    I think my 04 Accord EXV6 comes with a full sized spare tire. I need to double check that though.
  • Options
    Like you I have to have a full-size spare in every car I buy.

The full-size spare vastly improves the safety, range and utility of the vehicle. It makes the vehicle a lot tougher. You can go on long trips, or trips to isolated places, without worrying that you may get stuck, or get reamed with expensive tire repair bills.

Do you ever see a Hummer, a Land Rover or any SUV with a compact spare like the Accord, or a tire repair kit like the Honda Accord Hybrid?

This kind of cost/corner cutting is not very smart and not very considerate of consumers' needs for safety, security, economy...
  • Options
    Thanks venus537, and I was speculating on the motivation (not good:-). The known facts are: 1. '05 Accords have slightly different tail lights from previous year(s). 2. Accord is due for a mid-cycle refresh next model year, and the refresh may affect tail-end design. I called this a rumor earlier as this is widely known but not officially announced or verified. I think it's not too far off to call it a fact that the refresh is "due" at this point.

For readers didn't follow the previous discussion, this is about the issue that some people think that the Accord's rear end design is less than appealing.
  • Options
    I've been driving for almost 10 years now and have had to use a spare tire ..... once (knock on wood). I place a much higher value on REAL safety features such as side curtain airbags. If you can't forgive Honda for not putting a full-size spare in the Accord how can you forgive Toyota for not making ABS and side airbags/side curtain airbags standard? Arguably, they are a life/death feature whereas a full-size spare is merely a convenience item that has no effect on vehicle safety, security, or economy.
  • Options
    i think the argument would be that the "skinny" spare tire once put on the car would not be as safe to drive as it would be driving with the regular tires. so there is an aspect of vehicle safety.

not that this is even close to a deal maker in my purchasing of a car.
  • Options
    capocapo Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2003 Toyota Camry. Every morning when i backup and suddenly stop i hear the movement of liquid from one side to another. It just started doing that about a month ago. Is anybody experiencing the same? After I have stopped two or three time I wont hear the sound again.

Capo
  • Options
    ABS is standard on all Camry.

Camry also has the GU option for $1000, which includes all side and curtain airbags for front and rear seats, plus electronic Vehicle Stability Control, which Accord does not even have, option or not.

The VSC is a very important safety feature, which prevents vehicle skidding, spinnning, roll over... which can cause single-car or multiple car accidents.

I suspect Toyota will make the side and curtain airbags standard for all camry in MY 06.
  • Options
    I hesitated in putting out this post, in fear of igniting a feud. This is a mostly subjective topic after all. I feel it may lead to valuable opinions for future buyers though, since Camry has a long reputation of being a "quiet" car, but Accord less so or even not so (as some people call it more of "driver's car").

In rather short experience I had in comparing Camry SE V6 and Accord V6 EX (both '05 models), subjectively, I wasn't able to detect much difference in cabin quietness. Accord may let in a tiny bit more of road noise (I'd rather call it road feel). When engines rev up, on the other hand, I could actually hear more engine sound in the Camry ( both engines are very quite at low rpm). Reading other publications, it seems that it was a change of character in the current generation of Accord. Camry has kept or improved its quiet tradition.

Perceived quietness is a kind of personal matter to certain degree, so may worth a personal experience if one is shopping between the two. There are some "objective" sound level measurements, and some even suggested buying a sound meter to measure. Others had pointed out in the past, however, that these numbers may not be too useful due to technical details (e.g. what frequency is more sensitive to people etc.), as long as the numbers are not hugely different. Actually, these days, many sedans are pretty quiet, I had a few rental cars that are not too far away from Camry (although overall not as smooth).
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Peterpan:

___The 05 Accord’s are already equipped with SAB’s and Curtains as std., not a $1,000 add-on. As for VSA, in an SUV, this is very handy. In a sedan, less so. It is to bad Honda does not add this to the Accord nor TCS in the I4 based Accords however …

NHTSA

05 Honda Accord/04 Toyota Camry (05 Camry has yet to be completely tested)

Driver: 5*/4*

Passenger: 5*/4*

Side Front Seat: 4*/4*

Side Rear Seat: 4*/3*

IIHS

05 Honda Accord/05 Toyota Camry

Frontal 40 mph offset

Structure/safety cage: G/G

Head/neck: G/G

Chest: G/G

Leg/foot, left: G/G

Leg/foot, right: G/A

Restraints/dummy kinematics: G/G

Side Impact Driver/Rear Passenger

Overall: G - G

Head protection: G/G - G/G

Head/neck: G/G - G/G

Torso: G/G - G/G

Pelvis/leg: G/G - A/G

Structure/safety cage: M - A

___In terms of actual safety during the 2 types of crashes as shown above, I would much rather take my chances in a Honda Accord vs. the lower scoring Toyota Camry.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    From what I have heard and what I saw on Toyota's website the package with the VSC and the side airbags is kind of hard to come across. The wide aray of options available might be part of the Camry's lower resale value. That and the rebates/fleet sales.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,340
    i agree with you. maybe it's because i drive an suv, but i haven't had a flat in over twenty years. i have had nails in my tires(including cars), but never a flat. the little spare can get you where you need to go. some vehicles actually have roadside assistance, in case you do have a flat tire. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I know something about how the IIHS scores its crash test results, and trying to parse the results into significant differences between the two cars is meaningless. Both cars are fine performers in the tests, and I would not hesitate to recommend either one, provided the Camry is equipped with the optional side airbags. Both cars now have ABS as standard equipment, and the latest studies suggest it would be a good idea to order vehicle stability assist on the Camry.

Also, the cars scored the same in the NHTSA frontal tests. I would not even consider the NHTSA side tests as significant, in light of the fact that NHTSA uses a carlike barrier (in terms of height) to impact the test vehicle. Much more important, the NHTSA side tests do not record ANY forces on the dummies' heads, and head injuries are the leading cause of death in side impact crashes. The IIHS test uses a higher barrier contoured to represent the shape of a typical large pickup or SUV, and head injury results play a major role in the tested vehicles' ratings.
  • Options
    Hi 210Delray:

___If you are taking bits and pieces of the NHTSA and IIHS tests to say they don’t count or they do, then either they are significant or they are not? I tend to think they are and the NHTSA giving the Accord 5 * vs. the Camry’s 4 (Frontal) and the Accord’s 4 * vs. the Camry’s 3 (Side - Rear) says something very significant to me.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    First of all, my bad. I thought the Accord and Camry scored identically on the NHTSA frontal tests - 5 stars for the driver and 4 for the passenger. But you actually indicated 5 stars for both occupants in the Accord and 4 stars in the Camry.

Still, I stand by what I said before. I'm not trying to convince you, but assure others in Edmunds that either car is a fine choice as to crashworthiness. 4 stars vs. 5 in the NHTSA frontal test is not all that significant; both scores are good. I'd be concerned about 3 stars or less.

The NHTSA side impact tests are far inferior to those of the IIHS because head impact forces on the dummies are NOT recorded, and the impacting barrier is shaped like a flat-faced car. Cars today are tapered, not flat; the IIHS by contrast uses a contoured barrier with a height and shape that is a composite of late-model large pickups and SUVs on the road today.

The NHTSA barrier is so low that it can't hit the dummies' heads. The IIHS barrier is sufficiently high that it can, and does, directly contact the driver dummy's head, as occurs in actual SUV-into-car side-impact crashes. Side airbags provide a cushion between the impacting barrier and the dummy's head, often providing the difference between life and death in regard to the forces recorded on the dummy's head.

And the resulting head-impact measures on the dummies contribute heavily to the ratings, as they should. Not only that, but the IIHS records many more injury forces on the dummies' bodies than does NHTSA in its side impact tests.

Technically, the Camry with side airbags scored slightly better than the Accord in the IIHS test, but slightly worse in the IIHS frontal test -- the overall result is a wash. However, these small differences aren't really meaningful. Both cars earned Good/Best Pick ratings for frontal performance and Good ratings for side-impact performance.

You can buy either car with confidence -- just be sure to insist on side airbags on the Camry.
  • Options
    SUV or not, stability control provides a distinct benefit in single vehicle crashes. Yes, the benefit is more profound in SUVs due to their high center of gravity, but stability control has been 'the greatest advance since seatbelts' when it comes to automotive safety. (Car and Driver, February 2005).

http://www.iihs.org/news_releases/2004/pr102804.htm

Someone commented on VSC availability on the Camry- in most regions, its not hard at all to find a V6 SE or V6 XLE with the option. On the other trim levels, it becomes harder. Still, there are significantly more Camrys on the road with stability control than Accords on the road with stability control (as its not available).

210delray- I entirely echo your sentiment with respect to NHTSA side impact testing (check out the Accord 2 doors near 1000, ie, severe head injury rating.. that doesnt get represented in the 'Stars'.). With respect to frontal impact, from what I read on the webpage, NHTSA intends to test the 2005 Camry once again.

~alpha
  • Options
    Hi Alpha01:

___I only said VSA is less important in a sedan then in an SUV, not un-important as I wish Honda offered it in the Accord’s along with Brake Assist, 4-wheel discs and EBD on the LX’s, and TCS on the I4’s.

___In a frontal or side impact, I would rather be in the Accord. The 05 Camry has been side tested by the NHTSA with the same results as the 04’s (a notch below that of the Accord). The NHTSA frontal impacts have yet to be performed as of this writing and they don’t create their * ratings out of thin air.

05 Accord: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3325.html

Frontal HIC: D=245/P=334

Chest Decel: D=41/P=39

Femur Load L/R: D=194/257 // P=826/317

Side HIC: F=216/R=397

TTI: 62/61

Pelvis Decel: 65/58

04 Camry: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2960.html

Frontal HIC: D=549/P=430

Chest Decel: D=44/P=45

Femur Load: D=694/488 // P=356/190

Side HIC: F=399/R=999

TTI: 70/74

Pelvis Decel: 82/101

___Bold is where I would rather be …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Did you notice the tested 2005 Accord in the NHTSA side-impact test had the standard side airbags?

The tested 2004 Camry in the same test DID NOT have the optional side airbags!

As I said before, side airbags make a BIG difference in the results!

Please look at the IIHS side-impact tests in which BOTH cars were tested with side airbags. The Camry scored a touch better than the Accord, but there were no real significant differences - both were rated Good.

The frontal NHTSA tests show no significant differences either (HICs in the 200s and 500s are both quite good, and the other injury measure differences are inconsequential, considering the average driver + passenger femur loads are similar).

The IIHS frontal tests show basically the same thing - somewhat better structural intrusion measures for the Camry and somewhat better injury measures for the Accord. Both cars are Good/Best Pick according to IIHS.

Bottom line (again): Both cars are fine from a crashworthiness standpoint, but get side airbags in the Camry.

IIHS links:

Accord:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0220.htm

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0319.h- - - - - - tm

Camry:

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0202.htm

http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/side/s0315.h- - - - - - tm

To get the detailed intrusion and injury results for each car, click on

"Table of frontal offset crash test details (technical information)" and

"Table of side impact crash test details (technical information)" within each link.
  • Options
    My point being that-

1) stability control (which reduces injury/fatality in many types of accidents in which drivers lose control by preventing loss of control) is unavailable at any price on the Accord.

2) the 05 Camry has not had frontal NHTSA tests performed (and the 02 and 03 did better than the 04, despite that there were no design changes???)

3)NHTSA may not create the * rating out of thin air, but its not very useful for side impacts, as it doenst include HIC.

4)Honda should be commended for making side airbags and side curtains standard on the Accord.

5)Optioned with side airbags and side curtains, there is little difference in the crash worthiness between Camry and Accord.

-The Accord has an edge in the NHTSA frontal (based on 05 Accord vs. 04 Camry).

-The Accord has a slight edge in the IIHS frontal offset (though its injury measures to vital areas are slightly higher than the Camry).

-The Accord has a clear advantage in the NHTSA when comparing an 05 Accord to an 05 Camry with no side airbags.

-There is no apples-to-apples comparison for NHTSA side impacts (Camry tested with curtains).

-The Camry with side curtains performs better than the Accord with side curtains in the IIHS side impact (the Camry's structure is rated Acceptable, Accord's, marginal).

~alpha
  • Options
    dan19dan19 Member Posts: 10
    I've been comparing the '05 Accord and Camry. The Accord has neither daytime running lights nor automatic headlight on/off; the Camry has both. My 5 year old Malibu has these features and I get a reduction in my insurance premium. I won't consider a car without them.
  • Options
    Accord EX-L does have auto-off headlights. Daytime running lights and auto-on are nice, but should they really be a deal-breaker if you like the rest of the car?.......Richard
  • Options
    I went into the web site of Carson Toyota in So Cal:

http://69.93.188.20/~tundraso/fleet/showroom.php

Out of 129 Camry 4 cyl AT in their inventory, 33 or about 25% have the GY option, which is all side and curtain airbags for front and rear seats. This is a very good percentage of GY option for the sun belt. I think all XLE and V6 have these airbags standard.

The option costs an extra $650,pushing the MSRP to $21,351. Dealers in So Cal have been advertising LE's AT 4 Cyl for about $16.5K after rebate, so one should be able to get a Camry LE AT with GY option for about $17K.

Toyota will most likely offer all side/curtain airbags as standard features in MY 06.
  • Options
    Hi 210DelRay:

Good Catch.

Alpha01, 1. Previously mentioned more then once. 2. Posted previously as well. 3. NHTSA’s side impact HIC was posted. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3325.html. Were you speaking of some other HIC? 4. Agreed in full. If only Honda would have followed though with VSA, TCS, and BA :-(

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    03accordman03accordman Member Posts: 671
    Dan, even my 2003 Accord LX has auto off headlights.
  • Options
    "3. NHTSA’s side impact HIC was posted. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/3325.html. Were you speaking of some other HIC?"

Yes, I understand that NHTSA records the HIC for side impacts. However, the HIC for side impacts IS NOT a factor in the determination of the star rating. The Ford Focus is an example of what I am speaking of: http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3305.html

4 star rating, leathal blow to the head noted only as a 'Safety Concern'. IMO, if the driver is killed, the vehicle doesnt warrant a 4 star rating.

To summarize my sentiment even further:

The crash test differences between like equipped Camrys and Accords are neglible. However, a bigger safety issue is that the Accord does not come with VSC.

~alpha
  • Options
    Hi Alpha01:

If the difference between the two were negligible, why does the NHTSA rate the 04 Camry with only 4 *’s in the frontal vs. the Accord’s 5 *’s?

05 Accord

Frontal HIC: D=245/P=334

Chest Decel: D=41/P=39

Femur Load L/R: D=194/257 // P=826/317

04 Camry

Frontal HIC: D=549/P=430

Chest Decel: D=44/P=45

Femur Load: D=694/488 // P=356/190

I can’t do anything about VSA but at least if you are in an accident, the 05 Accord appears to be the better of the two to me given the above.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    And given you can get it with VSC, you're more likely to avoid an accident (in the Camry).

Since the year doesnt seem to matter to you, I'm going to use the 2003 Camry instead of the 2004. There were no design changes.

Frontal Camry

HIC D=340 P=446

Chest Decel D=42 P=45

Femur Load D=95/221 P=906/766

So, I ask you, why are the Camry's scores so different from 2003 to 2004 when no design changes were made?

The side impact rating is different between 2003 and 2004 as well, with the 03 earing 3/5 and the 2004 earing 4/3?

Because of this large test to test varience, I personally dont place much weight on the NHTSA test.

So, for me, the small differences between the Accord and Camry in the IIHS testing (and NHTSA testing) are more than offset by the fact that a Camry with VSC is less likely to be involved in a single vehicle accident with injuries or fatality than is an Accord.

~alpha
  • Options
    Hi Alpha01:

Since the year doesn’t seem to matter to you, I'm going to use the 2003 Camry instead of the 2004. There were no design changes.

Frontal Camry

HIC D=340 P=446

Chest Decel D=42 P=45

Femur Load D=95/221 P=906/766

And the Accord is still better.

So, I ask you, why are the Camry's scores so different from 2003 to 2004 when no design changes were made?

Why would you ask me? The Camry is the one scoring lower then the Accord so I would assume you would want to ask Toyota?

The side impact rating is different between 2003 and 2004 as well, with the 03 earing 3/5 and the 2004 earing 4/3?

And the Camry still scores behind the Accord.

So, for me, the small differences between the Accord and Camry in the IIHS testing (and NHTSA testing)

Small differences? The Accord is the better vehicle in terms of its crash ratings unless you want to throw out NHTSA’s test results altogether? I would not do that myself but that is just me.

Good Luck

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Bottom line in the frontal NHTSA tests is that in all cases, the driver and front passenger would walk away in an equivalent real-world crash in either car. The HIC scores are what are driving the differences in star ratings between the 2 cars, but the NHTSA test variability is suspect, and in any event, the forces on the heads are well below those needed to cause serious head injuries.

Furthermore, the IIHS tests show that there are no significant differences between the 2 cars in either frontal offset tests or side impact tests (when both cars have side airbags).

According to Honda, there were no significant design changes affecting frontal crash performance among 2003-05 Accords. According to Toyota, the same is true for the 2002-05 Camry.

I think this is the 3rd time I've said this: Bottom line is that both cars are fine choices as far as crashworthiness.

Now, can we move on?
  • Options
    Hi 210Delray:

Let us please move on. The NHTSA gives the Accord higher scores including better HIC’s for frontals. What is there to debate? Both are fine in terms of crash worthiness. The Accord however has better crash scores or there wouldn’t be this discussion. You do know about the NHTSA’s 5 *’s vs. 4 and 4 *’s vs. 3 right?

Let us all move on.

Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Awesome post. Ive been trying to say this, getting perhaps too passionate about it. Thank you.

~alpha
  • Options
    Appreciate the compliment. Sometimes you have to look beyond the star ratings to see the underlying data.