Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• Options
    jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Mine did the same in the cold. Just put a SMALL amount of silicone glue on it so in case you need to remove it later. If some are off look under the seats or the dealer will replace it N/C.

Fuel Door:
    It does help to pull up as far as you can on the lever.

Reminder to always tighten the gas cap at least 3 clicks after fueling. Also, some other cars will not let you put gas in if the engine is running. It will shut off and will have a hard time starting again.

Hyundai does offer the 10 year "Bumper to Bumper" warranty.I saw it as low as $659.00 here but the poster did not respond with the dealers phone number. You can purchase the warranty from any dealer but you may pay much more.

Changed my oil last week and I must say the oil was dirty for 2900 miles. I always use the AC Delco filter in my cars with Valvoline oil.

Received a free transmitter from Hyundai yesterday since alot of buyers had called them about only receiving only one with their alarm system. Thanks Hyundai!!!!!!

My 2 cents worth!
  • Options
    majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Just stopped in because I like reading about cars and I noticed the post about free oil changes and intervals.

If the owner's manual is suggesting 7,500 miles in best case scenarios, I bet it is suggesting 5,000 miles in worst case scenarios.

If 5,000 miles is recommended for worst case scenarios, I do not see the need for changing the oil at 3,000 miles.

Today's smaller engines can handle longer oil change intervals.
  • Options
    chameleon3chameleon3 Member Posts: 7
    darpin1: Thanks very much for the RPM info.

Maybe you could offer some advice on my fuel door problem. Since you are in Canada, where I assume you have colder temperatures than here in NJ, do you have any problem with your fuel door inside release?

Although I am a woman, I am no weakling (ha, ha)! I have pulled HARD on the latch and on cold mornings it won't open no matter how many times or how hard I pull.

Just want to know if this is MY Elantra's peculiarity or if you have experienced it as well.

Thanks again for offering your advice and any information.

BTW --- Agree with you 100% on the spell checker!
  • Options
    groviggrovig Member Posts: 6
    Sorry, about the late reply. I was out of town for a while. You asked where I got the extended warranty for $659. The dealer was First Team Auto Superstore in Norfolk, VA, (757) 420-5450.
    Their website is www.firstteamauto.com. When we were writing up the deal, I was going to pass on the extended warranty (had other plans for the $) but changed my mind when the agent knocked $100 off the $759 they would otherwise have charged because I was a repeat customer x 2. I believe the $759 price is pretty achievable, though, and is within $10 of what I paid for each of my 2000 Elantras. I get the feeling that price would be hard to negotiate if you were buying your first car from someone. The 2 main reasons I bought the extended warranty were because of things like power windows and door locks, which are NOT powertrain items, and can be pretty expensive to fix, and because of the admittedly depressed resale of these cars compared with Honda and Toyota. Since I am NOT likely to keep the car the full 10 years, having a transferable bumper-to-bumper warranty that is good nation-wide should be a heckuva selling point. It really takes away a prospective buyer's worries about getting a reliable car.

I guess a lot of us Hyundai buyers have persuaded ourselves that these 1999 and later Hyundais are reliable (while previous years clearly were NOT - ask any transmission shop!) because of the warranty. That is certainly what got me in the showroom. I have to say, though, that the Elantra is a really solid little car, handles well, etc, etc... in comparison with other cars I have looked at, and costs thousands less. Kia has almost the same warranty, but I wouldn't buy one of those on a bet.

Good luck with your Elantra shopping. You'll want to get cracking, because I have heard nothing about renewal of the $500 rebate past the end of February
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    The "severe service" oil change interval for the '01 Elantra is 3,000 miles or 3 months, not 5,000 miles. I asked my dealer about changing oil based on miles vs. time (I only put about 6000 miles a year on my car), and they said as long as I'm not making lots of short trips (I'm not) that changing oil every 3,000 miles (for me, six months) is OK.

Re fuel door: I have the same problem, usually after I wash the car in cold weather. I find that if I give it two tugs it always (so far) opens by the second tug. If that's the biggest problem I have with my Elantra I will be very happy. I've had other cars with fuel doors that froze up in cold weather too. Maybe Hyundai (and other car makers) should test their cars in Embarras, MN (often the cold spot of the lower 48), in January.

OK, I have one other problem: some of the screw cover plugs have popped out in cold weather. Have ordered replacements and will use the silicone glue trick when I get them. At least Hyundai bothered to cover up the screws.

Re temp gauge with A/C: gee, I didn't get a temp gauge on my Elantra--what package did you order? Does that come with A/C on automatics (I have a 5spd)?

To the lucky shopper who found a new Elantra for $10,599--take it and run!!!
  • Options
    dlino1dlino1 Member Posts: 1
    A Hyundai dealer in my area (Tampa, FL) recently offered me $99 over invoice for an 01 Elantra. However when he started to give me the numbers, he added a couple of fees like zone advertising and another he failed to explain. Does anyone here know if there are legitimate fees on the factory invoice, other than the cost of the car and the options? Thanks in advance
  • Options
    bsevernbsevern Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Thanks for all the positive posts on the Elantra, I hope (and believe so far) I made a good choice.

I ended up getting the Midnight Gray metallic (which I really liked), standard model. I really wanted to get package 4 for the moon roof, but they only had it in Champagne, which I wasn't overly fond of. My price after the rebate was $10622 (was $10599, but they threw in a cargo net at cost). The dealer was totally low pressure, very knowledgable, friendly, and to be honest, they were great to deal with. I don't see how they can make any money with the invoice price around $11,504.

I checked some other dealers in the SF Bay Area, and not only were they all high pressure from the moment you stepped onto the lot (don't they call them lot sharks!), but they also were much higher, most adding a "dealer markup" with bs reasons like it's more expensive to do business in CA compared to other states, etc., etc., etc.

At any rate, I pick it up in the morning, and I can't wait to really test it out.

If anybody in the SF Bay Area is looking for a good deal, I would check with Doton Automotive in Richmond (I have no affiliation with them, but appreciate the great treatment!). Ask for Randy, he's a great guy to deal with, and tell him Brian from Cisco sent you, he'll remember me :-)

Now to find a good in dash MP3/CD player to replace the factory cassette deck :-)

Thanks again everyone!

Brian
  • Options
    darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    don't have a catchy marketing phrase like Protege owners "ZOOM...ZOOM"How about "VROOM...VROOM"... Any better ideas?"Driving is believing" just kind of sits there.Hope you enjoy your car Brian!Chameleon- Yes it has happened a few times mostly when I've washed the car and when it's been really cold like -20 celcius...as someone else posted it takes about two pulls however after washing water droplets stay around the rim of the door I use a thin piece of cardboard to remove the droplets of water...If twater... Ift work I just bend the cardboard to grab the inside of the door and pull (doesn't take much effort) and won't scratch... Because It's new it hasn't had mwasn'tvement so you could try poping open copingtimes before you get gas might lube things up a bit.Sorry for such a long post...VROOM...VROOM

This spell checker is really getting on my nerves...Doesn't recognise "return"
  • Options
    RojareynRojareyn Member Posts: 7
    Howdy,

I've had my '01 Elantra for about a month now (Uh, Ohio BMV? You can send me my tags now ... really!) and have only had the fuel door stuck once in cold weather. A couple of good tugs later got the thing unstuck.

FWIW I also had the same problem in a '00 Nissan Altima I rented in December (wound up having to exchange the car 'cuz I couldn't fuel it!).

I've noticed there's a buzziness to the engine as you release the gas to coast down. I think it's that front fender problem that someone reported earlier.

So far, the car's been great!
  • Options
    lisab6lisab6 Member Posts: 1
    I live in Il i'm looking at new 2001 electra auto i got bid at 13,000 with 500 rebate and want the extra warrenty but they quote me at 1250. can some one tell me if this is good deal looking to buy this week.

Lisa
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    all this talk about paying more cash for an "extra warranty"-- i say, keep the cash and be happy with the warranty that comes with the car-- just change the oil every 4000 miles-- do the routine maintenance--- and drive. am i nuts?
  • Options
    Check out the 360 view on the Elantra (called the Avante XD there). I about fell out of my seat when I saw that theirs had a full color navigation system in the double din space where the radio is in ours, as well as wood panel inserts in the interior, a spoiler, fog lamps, leather interior, I'm a little jealous. But notice that theirs only come with 1.5L engines, unless you get the 2.0 Gold package! They also appear to get an extra two color selections. I wonder what their price is in US$ for the deluxe 2.0 Gold edition (anyone read Korean?)?

http://www.hmc.co.kr/kor/cybermall/product/avantexd/index.htm

• Options
    jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    Air conditioning display... where do you live? I was pretty sure that the U.S. version of the Elantra only had the manual/turn dial controls for the temperature controls in the Elantra. As I knew it, the automatic climate control system (which displays the actual temperature in the cabin) was available elsewhere, like Korea. I've seen pictures of it. Anyway, sorry but I don't know if it's possible to change from C to F.
  • Options
    dolphin24dolphin24 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the quick reply Jsapie. I will take your advice on the screw covers. I ended up putting 6 of them in a bag in my glove compartment so I won't lose them. My 01 Elantra is nearing its 3,000 mile mark and I need to change the oil. Does anybody know what size oil filter to use? The books aren't out yet with this information.
  • Options
    Re "Are there any legitimate fees other than cost of the car and options?": Sure--there's the destination charge, which is probably non-negotiable. There's often a documentation fee, which I think is the cost of the dealer doing the paperwork for the license etc. You might be able to negotiate that away, but it's usually small, like $25. Beyond that, some dealers try to tack on other fees, like "advertising" fees and even the blatant "ADM", which is "additional dealer markup." Are these legitimate? That's for the dealer and you to decide. When I ask the dealer for their best price, I always ask them to inlcude any fees they intend to charge up front, and let them know that I will be comparing their offer to those from other dealers. If they wish to add an advertising fee or whatever, that's their business. It's my business to then take it or leave it. Since it's possible to buy an Elantra without those extra fees, I would complain if they try it with you, and if they don't take it off I'd walk. On the other hand, if you can't find any dealer in your area who will sell the car without the advertising fee, you may be stuck with it. My dealer didn't even try to add such a fee.

Re what size oil filter to buy: if I were you I'd do the safe thing, go to a Hyundai dealer and buy the oil filters from them. It could save you much grief if you ever have to make a claim under the warranty for an engine problem. Also keep the receipts for the filters, and for the oil to prove that you did change the oil at the recommended intervals and used a recommended grade of oil.
  • Options
    Hello Dolphin24:
    Here is the responce that I received from Fram on the type of filers used on the 2001. You can cross it to the type you like. I use AC Delco.

E-Mail direct from Fram:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding a Fram oil and air filters for your 2001

Hyundai Elantra. We welcome the opportunity to be of service.

According to our data, the PH6607 is the recommended Fram oil filter for the

2001 Hyundai Elantra 4 - 2.0L engine. Also, according to our data, the

CA8162 is the recommended Fram air filter.

Thank you for choosing Fram Filters.

Cordially,

Rick Hostettler

Catalog/Technical Service Representative

Catalog/Technical Service Department

v
  • Options
    Jsapie. thanks for the info on the oil filters. I will keep the information for future oil changes. While I waited to get my transmitter activated I bought an oil filter for $6. I was there about 5 minutes and they were done activating the transmitter. I also had them fix the screw covers. Apparently there is a notch in them that you put in and turn the cover and they stay put.
  • Options
    When I went in to have my transmitter programed they tore the dash out and it took over an hour. You must have a dealer that knows what they are doing. They told me that the 2001 Elantra's unit was moved behind the radio under the dash. I do not think they knew much about the 2001. The mechanic had to look at a CD to find the control unit.
    Just my luck!
  • Options
    dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    When it comes to buying a Hyundai, the advertising fee is legitimate, because it is actually on the dealer invoice. The trouble is, from what I understand, this fee is based on how heavily Hyundai advertises in your area. For instance, here in Michigan, the fee is $199, while in FL it is $275 (if I remember correctly). Considering holdback, and depending on the area of the country, it is POSSIBLE to get a dealer to eat this cost if they are really desperate, but it is not likely. Holdback is quite small on these low priced cars. If you think the dealer is padding his numbers, simply call up another dealer and ask up front what the advertising fee is. Amazingly enough, when I did this in buying an Accent about a month ago, they all gave me the same answer. On the other hand, it should also be possible to find a dealer selling at invoice and relying on holdback alone for his profit, if you would feel better shaving off the extra $99 to compensate this complication.

Best of Luck
    DW
  • Options
    darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    Just a note on....The oil drain plug needs a new washer each time you change the oil...it's a crush type...you can get it at the dealer parts dep. it's a few cents...I bet alot of quick lube places forget that.
  • Options
    interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

We bought our '01 Elantra about 6 weeks ago. Neither Honda or Nissan added a fee for advertising yet the Hyundai sales manager guy assured me they did, but we just didn't know it. Well, I saw the others' invoices and it was NOT listed on them. Also, their invoice prices matched those of Edmunds and no advert fees are added in Edmunds' prices.

Also, this dealer made me feel as though the rebate was rightfully HIS. Whenever I settled on a price, he assumed it was with the rebate going to him. We bought the car with an auto for $1250.00 with mats and mud guards. Yet, I get nauseated when I read these other postings for purchases in the 10K range. There must be regional differences or the rest of us are being taken for a ride!

After the purchase, I became increasing incensed at this manager's attempts to obfuscate and play this rebate shell game. I sent a letter to the dealer, they called and said, "... we want to make it right... what can we do to make you happy."
    I told him $200 more in my pocket would make me happy. He much as admitted that he's been playing these games so long he does it unconsciously. He said he'd get back to me.

Three weeks later and two more calls brought zero response.
    I just wrote to Hyundai's CEO and will let you guys know how it all turns out.

Regarding the Elantra, I am pleased except for the following:

1. My car was out of alignment right out of the blocks. Never heard of such a thing from a new car. Anyway, they did realign it and it now seems OK. At first they tried to tell me it wasn't out much. I told them it was a new car it should be perfect. These guys wil tell you blue is red if they thought you'd buy it.

2. A screw cover has popped out of my driver side door, as others have stated. If others begin to do it I'll let them give some silicone, as another has suggested.

3. I couldn't open my filler door as well. I did not connect it with the weather but I do live in Mass. I will surely take it back if it continues as it is a pain and essentially should not be happening.

I mean wouldn't you guys complain if you had to pull two or three times on the car door before it opened? It is a simple release device that should open on demand. And none of us should have to yank it or pull it multiple times.

If Hyundai wants to make a run at the big boys with cars of equal or greater refinement--and it certainly appears they are with this Elantra--then they MUST remain accountable for all issues.
    The moment they begin blaming the weather or operator error for engineering defects, that's the time you look them straight in the eye and say, "I wonder if Mr. O'Neill's(Hyundai CEO)Elantra--if he had one--has the same problem?"

Critiques and comments are most welcome.
    Take care,

Mark
  • Options
    floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    dbwells:These car dealers are so used to using smoke and mirrors to sell their product that i'm not sure they actually know what the heck they paid for a vehicle LOL. The adv. cost is probably hidden in the invoice somewhere. They try to get it back with "dealer processing fees" or some such nonsence.Locally they are tacking on from $300 to $400 for this. Considering that there is only a $500 rebate on the cars they are getting most of it back IF you let them. I am currently TRYING to purchase one for my niece and it is a tough row to hoe for sure. My next ply will be to walk in and request a no-trade,out the door price, cash on the barrellhead. that should level the playing field a little, we'll see.

Floridian
  • Options
    lmoodyrnlmoodyrn Member Posts: 3
  • Options
    lmoodyrnlmoodyrn Member Posts: 3
    It sounds like you simply bought from a krappy dealer. If I were you, I'd start going to another dealer for any other problems and additional service. I'd also let the dealer you bought from know your plans. You don't have to go to the same dealer you bought from for service. Also, I agree with the previous posting. You're definitely paying for adveritising somewhere, and when I bought my Accord 2 years ago, there was an advertising fee tacked on. After spending time researching the Elantra, I've come to realize that all other cars must be incredibly overpriced. So, it's still a much better deal than anything else.
  • Options
    I see no problem letting the dealer keep the rebate. I purchased my car at INVOICE plus adding the rebate reduced my total so I saved tax ($35.00) on the $500.00

Purchased a 2001 (Pewter) Elantra with auto, package 2, CA emissions, cargo net, mats, mud guards and an extra transmitter for the alarm system. Came to $12,700 with the $500 rebate plus tax and plate.
    Plus they just raised the Destination charge to $495.00 from $435.00
  • Options
    dbwellsdbwells Member Posts: 44
    Just for the record, I would just like to say that 2 of the 3 dealers I dealt with were completely upfront and honest with me, and I rather enjoyed the experience. For this reason, I believe the adv. fee is legitimate. See bobcook54's response msg. #522 if you need further convincing (he's a dealer, for anyone who doesn't know him - I know you already do floridian). After all, the closer one is to paying MSRP, the easier it is for the dealer to work this in. On the opposite side, the closer one is to paying invoice, the more necessary it becomes for a dealer to have to justify his costs. Both dealers were willing to show me their invoices (although I have to admit, I never bothered to check their word).

Second, I would like to explain my bargaining tactics a bit, and hopefully someone will find them useful. I simply used the Hyundai website to locate dealers in my area and got their e-mail addresses, then I mailed a carbon copy lower than TMV offer to all of them, saying I was willing to buy within a few weeks. Let's face it, these cars are not in high demand, so we are in control here. The dealers then had no choice but to put their best foot forward or else lose their business to another. Every offer I got was within about $100 of each other, and within $100 of invoice (not including the adv. fee, which they all mentioned). They even broke down their costs and told me exactly how much they would make off the deal. If you try this, you could even include a few dealers that are really too far away for you to seriously consider, since the others have no idea by e-mail where you acually live, just to encourage more competition. The best parts of this strategy include 1)no pressure 2)no need to leave home (except for a test drive at any dealer before you actually commit) 3)the person responsible for answering e-mails at the dealership is often much higher up on the totem pole than those actually wandering the lot.

Sorry for the long post, and maybe this strategy really isn't that creative or unusual, but it worked well for me. DW
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    You are not alone in having an alignment problem right from the start. Someone I know had to take his 2001 Acura CL back to the dealer after only 100 miles because it had a pull to the right. They claimed it was normal but he argued with them about paying 30K for a car and expecting it to be perfect. They took it in and it indeed was a hair off. They adjusted it and the pull was gone. Just thought I would tell you that to let you know its not unheard of to have an alignment problem right from the start. It happened in an Acura costing more than twice your car so relax :)
  • Options
    bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    MSRP of top notch with full option is (4-speed AT model) US$14,384.
    (US$1=1250 WON)

Those are major features which are included in AVANTE-XD 2.0 GOLD FULL OPTION.

Leather package.
    ABS, TCS
    NAVIGATION SYSTEM(TV+VCD)
    VDO CLUSTER
    SUN ROOF
    Rear Spoiler.

However, in Korea, there is almost no discount, because Hyundai sells cars by its factory owned shops.
  • Options
    smoothrunningsmoothrunning Member Posts: 8
    Alignment is done after the car is assembled

BMW's are known to have alignment issues when new too

so relax

The Elantra is a great car with eight counter weights for the crankshaft

It makes for a smooth drive
  • Options
    gandbgandb Member Posts: 1
    I am currently considering purchasing a new 2001 Elantra. The biggest question I have is "How good is the warranty?" Would appreciate anyone with experience regarding this to let me know what they think. A warranty on paper is one thing but actual practice can be another matter.
    Please advise.
    Also, I am thinking that I should be able to purchase a 2001 Elantra for about $11,500. Does this seem reasonable?
    Plus, if anyone cares to comment on other aspects of this , it would help to make my purchase plans. Thanks for your input. gandb3@cs.com
  • Options
    jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    I have had the fuel door stick on me a couple of times, too. After giving the door a gentle thump and pulling the release again, it opened.

My only real complaint about my '01 Elantra is the seat belts. They are hard to snap into the housing and don't always retract properly when I take them off.
  • Options
    lmnsylmnsy Member Posts: 1
    Purchased a 2001 Elantra a week ago, replacing a 1991 Escort. Fits like a glove. The one I bought has auto, floor mats, remote keyless entry with security system, cargo net, rear window defogger and more. Comes standard with heated outside mirrors, tape player, power windows and door locks. Did notice a problem with fuel door, but overall this is a great car. Purchased for $13,500, out the door, including 6% Michigan Sales tax, title and plate transfer. Highly recommend to anyone considering a compact sedan. Test drive one-you'll love it. And no, I do not work for Hyundai.

Have read some criticism from professional raters. I think most of the criticism is unfounded. I would rate it with all pros and no cons. It's just a great car.
  • Options
    $11,500 is the dealer cost. I got lucky as a SF Bay Area dealer was running an advertised special (and actually had a selection) for $10,599. All said and done, I was able to get the car for $11,636 out the door. This included 7% sales tax, license fees, doc, and the $500 rebate. The only options were the floor mats, and cargo net. I really wanted a midnight grey w/pkg 4, but couldn't find one anywhere. Champagne w/pkg 4 was everywhere, but I'm not really fond of gold cars, so I went with the standard model in midnight grey (which btw is called amethyst mauve in Korea).

Good luck & let us know what you come up with.
    B
  • Options
    formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    Hi all,

I have wrote before. Over 2 weeks ago my '01 El antra went into the shop for its first Oil change. The door light was out also. The car is still in the shop, and not due out any time soon. The wiring harness was completely corroded, and Hyundai wants all the wiring taken care of. This is all covered, and I was given a Focus to drive (it stinks!!)
    I live in CT and work in Mass, I too have gas cover issues. I bought my car from a large Hyundai dealer, who was a shark, but I got option 4 with the goodies for 12.7k, its actually my wife car and our first non-american. So far I rate it as disappointing, but maybe it was just the lemon in the lot???
  • Options
    Jsapie., the I talked with the manager of the service department while he was writing it up and he said it took them a few tries to get it right. He said the instructions were confusing to understand and they had to call the manufacture to get better instructions on how to do this.
  • Options
    formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    Who did you buy from in MA??
  • Options
    gnevgnev Member Posts: 6
    Just got a nice 2001 El antra 5-speed/ Midnight Gray/ Option 3 for $12,400.
    These dealers are bandit. Bought it in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. AFTER signing the contract, he
    wrote in "no refund on deposit-final sale"! Didn't notice till I got home... complained.
    Payed half by check & financed the rest at 8%. Told them to hold the check & I'll pay cash, so I didn't have to wait for the check to clear. They took the cash AND deposited the check!! I had to run to the bank & stop the check!
    What a fiasco! The finance page amounts were all warped. They wrote I paid $17,000 for the car & gave a $9700 deposit, when I only gave $7000. Complete fraud. Complained to Hyundai & Consumer Affairs. On top of that, there was a small dent in the engine hood.
    These dealers smile & knife you in the back if you don't pay strict attention. They're
    criminals. Get EVERYTHING in WRITING!! It's all lies if you don't.
    Why can't they just do business honestly. Too much stress involved.
    But i like the Car!!
  • Options
    reganonareganona Member Posts: 9
    I spoke with a local dealership here in Memphis, TN. They included in the price a $116 cleaning/detailing fee. The guy told me the cost of cleaning the car is not included, hyundai does not do that for their customers. Has anyone else had to pay this fee? Should I protest it? Thanks for your help, KB
  • Options
    gnevgnev Member Posts: 6
    Don't use Guiffre Hyundai in Bay Ridge ,Brooklyn.
    They're a bunch of scamming lowlifes.
    It was the worst experience I ever had buying a car.
  • Options
    To Formula 94: I bought my Elantra at House Hyundai in Springfield.

I suppose, like in any business, they are owners and salepeople who truly appreciate your business. And then there are those who have the ethics of a hairbrush and see no problem giving a telemarketer the number of their own mother.

Like it or not, we remain a "buyer beware" society. The bad auto guys focus on refining their ability to obfuscate and decieve. They consider you the same way a local considers a foreign tourist--a walking, talking ATM. Their identity is defined and based upon their continued ability to extract as much money as possible from the buyer. They contribute no greater good to the society. They are cash generators. But in this society that's quite acceptable and even revered when larger sums are involved. Often ethics are directly disproportional to the amount of cash involved.

The good guy really listens to you. He wants you back. He constantly fights the stigma of the rapacious bad auto guy. He understands that your financial boat may be listing. And although he may be the sole hunter/gatherer for his family, he is not compelled to hide fees and add-ons( I love that cleaning/detailing fee). Still, you are wary because this society has put an edge on your ability to trust. But that's not so bad.

If you research the car and then take along someone who is not emotionally involved, you're unlikely to be unhappy about the deal. When the bad auto guy makes your arm hair stick up, walk out. Practice saying no until you bleed, and then you'll only have to say it once. Finally, see how good it feels when the dealer turns out be one of the good guys.

I realize generalizations are dangerous. But isn't there enough history to support the good-guy bad-guy theory?

My car buying experience was pretty dismal (see my earlier posting). I failed to follow my own advice about taking along someone else who didn't need a car and had nothing to lose. I still can't believe the sales manager didn't get back to me after repeated calls. Maybe they just label a guy a pain in the [non-permissible content removed] and just write him off, regardless of the circumstances. And, if the Elantra does as well as I think it will, this guy--along with the other bad auto guys-- will think themselves vindicated because there will be plenty of flush foreign tourists coming and they'll be able to afford to piss off a few.
  • Options
    If any Hyundai dealer tries to charge a "cleaning/detailing" fee, kindly point out to them the statement at the bottom of the car's window sticker, which begins "Manufacturers [sic] suggested retail price includes manufacturer's recommended pre-delivery service." Then ask to see the "Hyundai Value Delivery System" booklet that spells out all the pre-delivery services that the manufacturer recommends on a new Hyundai, including a whole section on "Pre-Delivery Cleanup and Detailing".
  • Options
    reganonareganona Member Posts: 9
    Where can I find the information to contact THE hyundai people to ask questions? For example, the cleaning/detailing fee question. Is there such a customer service department?
  • Options
    Write to CEO to get definitive answers.
    His office called me yesterday about my dealer complaint. He had read the letter and handed down to his secretary. Because each dealership is individually owned they can do nothing except say, "Sorry about that."

They are sending me a $100 service voucher.

I was hoping for a more decisive response, but the CEO is like the Supreme Court and there ain't nowhere to go once they hand down their decision.
  • Options
    heartland1heartland1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all of you posting messages and information on the Hyundai El antra the past several weeks. It helped very much in my deciding to buy the car on 2/28/01... I picked the car up last night 3/1..... Just a couple of notes with regards to the various issues covered over the last few weeks.....

My Elantra, Pewter, has the option 2, 5 speed, mud guards, floor mats and I added the spoiler. Out the door $11,848.00 (plus a 49.00 documentation fee.)

I extensively researched numerous compacts with the final four candidates being, based on a combination of price/ratings/safety/consumer feedback:

Great cars, well built, but eliminated early due to budget/price/value, Honda Civic, Subaru Impresza, WV Golf.

Final Four: El antra, Protege, Sentry & Focus. With my company I was able to get Special Vendor Supplier Pricing on the Mazda, Sentra & Focus.... In each case, the Elantra had more options, for less money than buying those vehicles with the special pricing..... By the way, if you look at the postings on the other vehicles, same or more serious problems exist on all cars....

The 2001 Mazda was eliminated because other than minor front end treatment (which looks like a mini mustang) it basically looks like a 2000, getting dated... Also, on the low end model it still uses the noisy 1.6 L engine. I would have had to upgrade to the 2.0L, at much more money.

The Focus was eliminated because at some angles I did not care for the look of the car, other views were nice but again, to get the options I would have had to get the ZTS model, more $$$. Also, I thought I might get tired of the radical design in several years.

If I buy a car, I need to like it from every angle.

The Sentra was the last to be eliminated, because of price, and you could not put a 6 ft adult in the rear seat comfortably, with the driver seat in the correct position for driving a stick shift. Nice car though and would of been my choice if the Elantra did not exist. Also, the design is getting dated, just like the Protege.

On the other issues, the Hyundai dealer was great, this is the first new car I have purchased since 1980, yes that's correct, so you can imagine I looked carefully, and used Edwards-Archer Hyundai, Council Bluffs, IA. I bought this particular car from a picture on their web-site, it had 5 miles on it, (long story on why)

When I picked up the car last night, it was completely detailed and the tank full of gas.... It was about 25 degrees at 8PM and the gas lid popped on the first pull. They gave me two (2) remote keyless entry devices, they said Hyundai is now shipping 2 sets with each car, so you should be aware of this, if you get option 2 or higher...... No alignment problem on driving the car some 40 miles home to Nebraska.

So far a great experience.... I hope it continues.........

Dealer
  • Options
    tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    I saw the message about someone buying an Elantra in Memphis. Could you share with me the price and options included and what dealer you used? I am going to test drive the Elantra within the next week or two and would like to know the best price I can hope for if I really like it. Any experience you can relate would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Options
    tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    I tried to post earlier, however the message did not go through. To the person from or near Memphis, TN where did you buy your Elantra? Could you share the price and options on it? What dealer? What is the extra add on forthe 10 year insurance? Does it cover more than the regular 10 year warranty that comes with the car?

I am very interested in the car and want to test drive it soon. Would appreciate any answers.
  • Options
    frankfryfrankfry Member Posts: 1
    we looked at three low priced cars, calivair, neon, hyundai. the elantra came fully loaded with a, 4 sad do auto, p. windows,p. door locks, p. dual mirrors, tilt wheel, cruse control, rear window defrost, stere 4 speaker casett, pass thru fold down rear seats, 4 custom carpet floor mats,
    mud flaps, tac, 140 hp 16 valve double overhead cam 2.0L motor. all for the sum of $11,500.00....
    plus: for free:: 5 yr. bumper-to-bumper, 10 yr. drive train warranty. (also 5 yr. road-side) at no extra cost. the other cars could only offer 110 to 120 hp. and only half the options at up to 19,000.00. so I bought the wife a sandalwood one and me a cardinal red one. This is my 15th new car, so far I enjoy driving it more than the new 1968 javiln 280 hp I bought back then!!!!
  • Options
    jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I ran into a small wild animal on the road one day and got the lower rib on the front bumper chipped off. Does anyone know the estimated cost of replacement of the front bumper on the 2000 Elantra?

Thanks.
  • Options
    Hello,

Would appreciate any information regarding whether I can replace my 2001 Elantra cassette radio with an aftermarket higher powered unit.
    Do you think the dimensions are universal with Japanese made cars?

Thank you