Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    FWIW....I cannot speak for Hyundai, but for the many Toyotas and one Honda my family has had in the past 20 years, anytime we used an outside repair shop for brake jobs (meaning... other than the dealer), the brakes would squeal constantly. The dealer seems like a rip-off, but with our Toyotas, its never been a question that we wouldnt be returning to the Goodyear/Sears/Pep Boys for brake work.
    ~alpha
  • elantranceelantrance Member Posts: 31
    Hi all, just a question out of curiosity. It's been around 90 degrees everyday here in pittsburgh, PA for like two months (haha) so of course I've been using the AC all the time. I'm just curious as to how much horsepower that draws, because I notice a HUGE difference in power when it's on/off...enough that I shut the AC off when merging onto a highway...not necessary, I know, but it can't hurt. It's not a problem, I know AC is tough on hp, but I'm just curious.

Btw, broke 1900 miles today. Had the car about 5 weeks now. I love it! ;-)
    Fair enough...but, uh, notice what's after the Tibby and Elantra? "Redesigned after 2003...and 2001" respectivly...guess we'll hafta wait a couple years to see how the new Hyundai's do...

Jon
  • jxs81jxs81 Member Posts: 26
    I've a 5sp GLS. When A/C is on, power is way down,
    especially when the engine revs below 2k.

Jeff
    When my AC is on, I do not notice much power loss below 2 or 3 grand...then again, the 2.0 beta doesnt have much power below that...but, when the 2.0 usually kicks in around 3 grand or so, it seems like its having trouble breathing with the AC on...it doesnt like to rev with the AC on...turn off the AC, and bam! Back to normal...so that's why I was curious as to actual hp loss numbers...peace!

Jon
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I am planning on buying a bike carrier for my Elantra and I was wondering if anyone might have some suggestions/hints.

I will probably go to REI, Gaylan's and perhaps a couple bike stores (here in the Twin Cities, the big bike chains are Penn Cycle and Erik's). I assume the bike stores will have the highest prices. Is there someplace else I should check?

Does anyone know if Hyundai dealers carry "Hyundai-approved" bike carriers?

I really would like something that fits the car well (won't damage the paint) AND doesn't scratch my bike (although the car IS my main concern).

Are the roof carriers or trunk carriers better?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    I use a hitch mounted bike carrier. It is easy to install and remove, plus your bikes do not touch the car, and you don't have to question the overhead in low clearance areas.
  • fgaydosfgaydos Member Posts: 319
    Way back in the archives is mention to bike carriers for the GT.
    Most buy the hitch carriers.
  • bartbikerwbartbikerw Member Posts: 36
    Hey,

I did 111mph my 2002 elantra gls the other day on an empty highway on my way to michigan. Did anybody beat that. At 105 and up I did notice very loud wind "wistle". But I guess you can't complain about that :-). The car was very stable though at that speed but it took a long time to get to it. I was holding it at 4000-6000rpm for a long time on 4th gear and then I shifted it to fifth at about 107mph. I got to about 5000 rpms at 111. Great car. But don't try it at home. I usually drive withing a speed limit :-).
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    109 on a long lazy curve in a 2001.5 gt auto..
    steady in a straight line but definitly a handful at that type of speed with a turn of any kind... needs to be lowered more damping in the suspensionfor more journeys like that at those speeds...
  • franzeyfranzey Member Posts: 9
    I am looking for a new or used hitch for my 2001 Elantra. Does anyone have experience with one? What kind of prices can I forward to? also, where can I locate a new or used one? it will be used solely for a bike rack. I will not be towing anything. Thanks!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Please be careful running your cars at those speeds. Once you're above about 100, aerodynamics get really important as do tires, crosswinds, etc. We will all assume that none of us would ever do this in a situation that would endanger others. But I still have vivid memories of the BACK of a car lifting up at 110 and loosing directional stability. Only the grace of God and a steady hand allows me to write this message after that little episode...
  • calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    Just make sure that the hitch tongue load is sufficient for the total weight of both the bike carrier AND the bikes. Ideally, you would be looking for a good Class I hitch (200/2000 pounds -- tongue/trailer).
  • franzeyfranzey Member Posts: 9
    I have been looking at a Hidden hitch (Class I) i only want to hold 4 bikes. That should never exceed 200 pounds. Do you have any idea of price and installation? I would like to find a decent used one without having to drill into my frame.
  • canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    Thanks for the advice alpha 01 I decided to go with the dealership--better to have it done right the first time. I took the car to the dealership for the 30k maintenance and had them check the brakes and they said I have 3k left on the front pads.
  • edovidedovid Member Posts: 22
    Hyundai Motor Introduces Upgraded Model of Avante XD
    Seoul, Aug. 19 (Yonhap) -- Hyundai Motor Co. announced Monday the release of Avante XD 2003, an upgraded version of the existing Avante model.

The new Avante XD, equipped with a 2.0 variable valve timing (VVT) engine for the first time in Korea, gives unrivaled engine capacity for this class of car, the largest local automaker claimed. It has also a 5 percent improved fuel efficiency.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    One man reported needing pads and rotors turned at 40K. A few posts above this one, 33,000 miles before front pads for Elantra???? What?

My 99 GLS Sonata has 82,000+ on it an won't need pads until 85,000; rotors may not even nned to be turned,either. Last check was at 57,000 + miles and have alittle over 50% pad left.
    Wife's '01 Tiburon(based on Elantra platform back then) has nearly 40,000 now and has 40% brake pads left....????? Whbat is going on here?
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    shoddy dealers milking people for money ...
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I have a friend that brakes very late and hard. Every new car he has had has needed rotor replacement. His latest car (Suzuki Esteem) needs new rotors at 8,000 mi.

Another friend has a new Cavalier. He says "I brake as hard as I can and let the ABS figure it out". He needs brakes at 7,000 mi.

I tend to trail brake starting early and light. I have never had a problem with rotors on any of my new cars including the Elantra GT.
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I don't buy this argument that the main reason brakes wear out prematurely is due to driving style. If 90% of your miles are put on in stop-and-go city traffic, your brakes are going to wear out pretty fast.

The number of miles your car has on it doesn't correlate to how quickly your brakes (or transmission parts) are going to wear out. If your brakes are only being applied during 2% of the accumulated miles on your car, the pads will last much, much longer than if they're being applied 20%.

My Elantra has 20K on it and the rotors are already a little warped. But even leaving plenty of space between me and the cars in front of me and braking lightly doesn't alleviate the need for me to brake dang near constantly from my home all the way to my parking ramp (an hour of mostly stop-and-go each way). If I'm not accelerating, I'm braking - there is no "cruising" on my commute.

If you can get your brake pads to last 82K driving the same route at the same drive times, you are doing something quite magical (Go-Go Gadget Wheels perhaps?).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I was told by a mechanic once in a Mieneke that if you brake hard, you will wear out small cars' brakes quickly, as they are not meant to be used that way. I had the pads replaced on my 1999 Protege DX at 26K miles, and I drive a little aggressively sometimes. So that does have alot to do with it.

Also, when getting new pads, don't slam on the brakes right away. You will "glaze" the pads, and the brakes will squeak forever, or until you have them deglazed or replaced.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Sure, the more you apply the brakes (as in stop and go driving) the faster the brakes will wear, but I think driving style (i.e. slamming on the brakes) plays a role too. I have a light touch with brakes, and so does my wife; the brakes on our '99 GCS are holding up fine whereas other owners on the Caravan board report replacing brakes after only 30k miles or less. The ABS on the van almost never has to engage. My Elantra is too new (two years, 15k miles) to have much brake wear.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I just returned from washing and waxing a friend's '99 Passat wagon; he's out of town and I love to do it. As outstanding as it is, and as beautifully detailed the interior is, my Elantra is so much quieter than his VW. And he only has 20K on the odometer, vs. my just-turned 18K. The turbo 4 in the Passat has a certain drone, even at idle, and there is a low frequency hum that occurs over all bumps and roughness in the road. Not as pleasant as it should be. I really noticed the difference when I switched back to my car.

My power locks are MUCH quieter than his, which sound like a gun. Even my fold-away outside mirrors look more substantial. OK, I'll stop now. :)
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    had a 1990 Sentra XE. Changed pads at 118,000 miles. Was told the one set could go to 135,000. but changed them both at the same time.
    About 65% was Hwy and City was about 35% in the 9 years I owned it. Only changed pads one time for front and back(and had rotors turned at 118,000)the whole 9 years I owned the car..had alittle over 233,000 on it when I sold it for $200.
    I have also been told that the pads you put on help or hinder you, like metallic(?) pads(has some metal in them or something???
    Anyone?
    brakes...
    in my experience with the rarely driven truck my father owns...
    you really need to factor in a few things... braking style... load when braking...speed when braking... frequency you ride the brakes...
    and how often you use the car....
    example...
    we hardly ever drive the 96 Toyota LC we have..
    every time we drive it... it happens to be a full load of 5-7 people...plus gear and cargo sometimes....highway driving...long distances... different drivers... thats why its had the rotors resurfaced and it only has 12k miles...
    and it is a heavy truck to begin with...if we dont sell it in the next year im gonna upgrade the braking system... seemingly too weak for the loads its subjected to...
    I had a 1999 Passat sedan loaner once, with 27K on it. The car rattled like crazy, the brakes sucked, and this loud "cluck" eminated when I shifted from R to P. Really scary. The engine was pretty loud and nasty sounding as well.

My 2002 Jetta has been in the shop around 10 times (yes, 10) for rattles since it was new, and it only has 20K miles on it. I am very disappointed in the car, to the point that I have the MD Attorney General involved. I hope I get some resolution, but knowing VW I will not. We shall see.
    Could VW be dealing with the Ford Focus syndrome? Well-thought designs and well-engineered suspensions, roomy and comfortable, but cursed with little niggling problems. Granted, VW does not seem to be plaqued with the curse to the degree the Focus is. Too bad, because VWs have such nice interiors and excellent chassis designs. My lesson here is to be glad I have no money, because it forces me to look for the best value (wouldn't mind lots more money, however).
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    On Saturday 8/24/02, I did a focus group on sedans. The 6 cars being evaluated for exterior and interior design were Elantra, Civic, Corola, Focus, Subaru Impreza, and Passat. How the Passat fit in with the group of compact under $18,000 cars is beyond me. I guess it was supposed to be a benchmark for the other sedans.
    When I shopped for the my '02 Elantra GLS, the Passat was not on my shopping list. But after comparing these 6 sedans it really jumps out at you the the Elantra is ,as good as, or better than this group (with the exception of the Passat). What really surprised me was that the Passat, certainly a nicer car, wasn't $10,000 nicer than the Elantra. Maybe $4,000 and the interior was only slightly bigger.
    Bottom line, I'm really happy with my $12,000 Elantra.
    Like I said, the most significant problems thus far are the rattles, but they are annoying in an almost $25K car. Most people at work that have a Jetta (like 7 people) have had no problems with it (some do though, but not rattles). They seem to be pretty good cars, I think I just got a bad one.

I looked at the Elantra GT before I bought my car, but I couldn't get comfortable in it. Too bad, because the price was definitely right, and the interior was nice as well.
    I trust you do know your cars, but I am curious ... could the VW have been a Jetta? It is in that size class and looks very similar to the Passat. If it was indeed the Passat, you are right: why on earth was it in that group? Even a Jetta can be priced $10K more than an Elantra.
    My 2002 Jetta 1.8T GLS with every option available MSRPed for $24,675, so they definitely can be $10K more than an Elantra.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Just a heads up to all my fellow 01 Elantra owners. When you check your transmission fluid level you should also check the color and smell.
    I had read a post on the 'THC' forum about an elantra with 24k mi having transmission fluid that was black and smelled burnt.
    Well I checked my elantra which has only 16k mi on it and sure enough the transmission fluid is black and burnt.
    It will be bringing it in to Hyundai to have them find out why.
    As a side note my elantra has always had the 'Shift Flare' problem. I had the TCM reprogrammed at about 11k mi. The flare was lessened significantly but random erratic shifts seemed to take its place.
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    I've been an auto enthusiast for a number of years and am certain the VW was a Passat. I rented a Jetta (Bora) in the UK for a week and my father just traded his 2000 Jetta for an Impreza. So I am very familiar with the Jetta. A little more info. I ran into another person, I know remotely, who had taken part in the focus group on the following day. She saw a group of men, who looked Korean, getting out of an Elantra, at the hall where the study was being held. They appeared to be 'in charge' of the event.
    Maybe the Passat is the target for the next Elantra?
    In the quietness department, the Elantra should be the target for the next Passat.

How odd that Sonata wasn't in the mix, but come to think of it, I would like to see Passat as Elantra's target. Hyundai is aiming high.
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    I can't tell you why "random erratic" shift is happening after the update, but bad contact in the pulse generator connector can cause erratic shift. Tell the service advisor up front about TSB 00-40-011(SUBJECT: PULSE GENERATOR ANALYSYS) and ask for your own copy of it so that you can inform yourself on what exactly the tech is supposed to do for that symptom while the tech is doing diagnosis/repair.
  • mmppttmmpptt Member Posts: 7
    i just purchased an 02 elantra gls. i also own a 99 camry. insurance cost for the camry is 505/yr. vs 755/yr. for the elantra. they both have the same coverage. that comes out to about 50% more to insure the elantra. i talked to my insurance agent about it and she replied "hyundai is like a curse word to insurance companies" i love my car, but that's an "ouch." still worth it though. i do realize......i should have compared the 02 elantra to an 02 camry.

anyone else care to throw in their 2 cents? - thanks - marty

(sorry for using all small case.....due to a disability.....i only have use of one hand. (makes it a lot easier for me.)
    Marty,
    I ran into the same thing. Hartford Insurance tried to tell me it would cost nearly twice as much to insure my 12K Elantra as my 30K pickup truck. I changed to Progressive and got a MUCH better rate. I think one of the problems may be that the '00 and earlier Elantra did not have a very good crash/injury history. The '01 and newer has 4/5 star rating. I got totally ticked with the Hartford group and pulled all my insurance policies away from them. When I moved my vehicles to Progressive, Hartford immediately raised my homeowners from $525 to $775 per year. I have no claims, but they said it was due to my not giving them my auto business. My homeowners is up for renewal in October. It will not be with Hartford.

Jim
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Get a new insurance company! Some companies rely on old, outdated data, and some use weird actuarial data. I got insurance for my daughter's 2001 Elantra under my policy with Mercury at a reasonable price (she was 20). I can get it even cheaper at Wawaneesa.

I used to be with 20th Century at good rates until I bought a new '98 Intrepid. My rate doubled and they told me that, according to their actuarial tables, a relationship between the horsepower of the engine and the weight of the car classified this family sedan as a "performance car". They weren't trying to get rid of me -- I had only one claim -- for $500 -- over 15 years with them...they just used weird data!
    The reason your homeowners' went up is because you lost something they call "multi-line discount".

I have insurance with State Farm on my 2002 1.8T Jetta. I am 24, live in the city, have 1 point for speeding, and house insurance with them to boot. Coverage is 50/100/50 with 200/500 comp/coll deductibles. Rate is $244 a MONTH!

My age, expensive parts for the car, the point, and my dewlling are all inhabit of this. The funny thing is, I shopped for insurance. This IS the cheapest I can get! Also, I really have 3 points on my license for speeding, but SF only shows one (since Sept., 2001). I am not going to correct them, I am sure they will catch up with me eventually. :(
    I stayed with State Farm when I bought my Elantra, and my rate went up as expected for a new car. Multi-line discount helps (renter policy) as does keeping them for more than ten years. They were wonderfully helpful when my previous car was hit (by some daft chick who left the scene; I tracked her down and got her plate; she didn't know she was dealing with a Detroit driver). The problem for Michigan drivers in general is that false claims in the city of Detroit are jacking up rates for all of us, but in the end my Elantra insurance isn't so horribly high that I'll shop around soon.
  • mmppttmmpptt Member Posts: 7
    i am from pennsylvania and my insurance co. is erie. i have dealt with them for 30 years. i am 46 years old and have never had a claim with them. i have never had a traffic violation. in my earlier post i failed to mention something my agent said to me. here is the quote:

"if you put your camry and elantra side by side,ran them both into a concrete wall at 20 mph......your elantra would cost 50% more to repair than the camry..... that is why your elantra insurance is so expensive." before i blow my lid, i will check a few other companies for quotes. thanks for the replies. anyone else care to join the fray? seems to me, that a lot of elantra owners could benefit. thanks again - marty
    They were the best quote here in central Texas.
    I just sent in my half year payment 4 days late... yikes.... $1226.xx... 22yr old male, single, Suffolk county New york...
    2001.5 elantra GT no abs, no TCS
    i think i have 1 claim for about 300 someodd $
    allstate...
    high or ok? prob high... who cares...
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    i HAD Progressive , note the word had ... when i got my GT they quoted me 5100$ yes i said 5100$ for the gt my accent and an old 75 ford pickup .. i almost fainted . i said ok , so i could leave the dealership with the car and prompty canceled with them the next day .. my son was on the policy also he is 16 thats why it was so high but man that was way outta line . it cost me 3200 a year for it all with the company i have now and thats with my 16 year old on it also .
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    49 years old
    No tickets
    2001 Elantra GT
    No ABS/TCS
    getting multi-line disc (auto/home)
    Liability 300/500
    Suffolk County,NY

paying...$1500.00 yr

I'm not happy paying this but I want to stay with State farm. Been with them for 12 yrs. We have a big problem with Ins fraud here in the Metropolitan area. Looks like we are catching up to California!

The real kicker is I am paying only $140.00 a yr for my 1976 Maserati Merak SS (collector car-different Ins company).
  • lokannalokanna Member Posts: 22
    I just switched from Nationwide (on your side my [non-permissible content removed]!) TO progressive, here's the breakdown.

25 y/o male
    1 ticket (following close)
    1 accident (from above ticket)

I just moved from Tampa Florida to Newark Deleware.

Nationwide (FL) 6 mo. policy, $1400

I moved then and Nationwide's NEW quote (no changes in record)

Nationwide (DE) 6 mo. policy, $3500!!!!

I don't pay that much for my CAR! (2002 GLS w/ ABS and Electronic Killswitch, no aftermarket modifications).

Now, progressive, same care, HIGHER coverage (with Nationwide I had 15/30/15 I believe)

Progressive (DE) 6 mo. policy $1026, for 25/50/25!

More coverage, LESS money, $2500 less than Nationwide. I don't know WHY Nationwide is so high, I had been with them for nearly 2 years w/ ZERO deliquencies or anything. Mind you I have questionable credit, but my god, $7000 a YEAR for car Insurance is strickly robbery, as that's nearly HALF the value of my CAR! I have a 5 year loan for god's sake!

Yeah, letting off some steam, but had to give props to Progressive for giving me better deals, Geico's quote was $1900, still less than Nationwide, but 900 higher than progressive.

As for my red Elantra 2002 GLS w/ package 5, the drive from Florida to Deleware (straight thru!) was flawless and fun! Cruise control worked great and the car handled like a dream. I bought the car in Feb of this year and now have 5500 miles on it. The only problem I have with the vehicle is the aftermarket killswitch key-fab is messing up (have a spare, covered under warrenty), and the high speed 'whistle' on the car. When I hit 80-ish, the car makes a whistle type noise which sounds bad, but hasn't caused issues yet. I've yet to figure out why it does it though. Hope some of this insurance info helps :)
  • ronmcqronmcq Member Posts: 16
    I was a bit apprenhensive about insurance on these cars after reading some of the posts. Bought an '02 GT automatic anyway. With Wawanesa my '89 Mazda 323 is $229, '01 F250 is $507, '00 Companion Trailer is $89 and my '02 Elantra GT is $407 per year for full coverage $500 deductible. Good driving records for wife and myself in San Diego. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I had gotten previous quotes from Progressive and they weren't even close
  • jmaterojmatero Member Posts: 253
    Saw some 2003 GLS's on the lot yesterday (no changes, slightly higher prices). Anyone spot 2003 GT's yet? They come in both the sedan and hatchback for the same price in 2003.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I wouldn't post too often about your whistle problem at 80ish speeds...your Progressive agent may be lurking! LOL! :)