Options

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• Options
    lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    My wifes 01 Elantra is at 55,000 miles. The clutch was replaced free of charge at 20,000 due to a loud low moaning squeak, but it never malfunctioned and the replacement has been okay. If I were experiencing the grinding mentioned in previous posts, I would first check the trans fluid level and hydraulic clutch master fluid level. If that checked okay, I would look at a manual Elantra on the lot and have someone push in the clutch so I could observe the amount of clutch arm movement produced. Then I would have someone push in the clutch on my vehicle and compare clutch arm action. Might discover that your hydraulic master and slave is not performing as it should.
    Just replaced our basic cassette unit with an upgraded pioneer cassette and cd changer in the trunk. Amazing difference, the speakers sound so much better with the higher powered unit pushing them.
    Rapidly approaching the time for a timing belt. Has anyone had this work completed? Just curious about the ballpark prices for a Hyundai belt change. Good new year to all.
  • Options
    gator_28gator_28 Member Posts: 14
    Just curious, but has anybody had problems with their power windows on the Elantras? I have a 2000 model and I have had to replace 2 regulators in the drivers side power window twice so far. Both times the dealer replaced them free of charge but this has happened twice in the last 2 years. Other than that the car has been perfect!
  • Options
    jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    My 2001 elantra just passed 2 year..
    It has about 25000 miles right now..

no major problems..

so far I changed right side rear break twice..
    Somehow only right side rear break is totally wore out after 1 year... -> balanced and changed ($80)

sparks plug burned out -> changed under warranty

my keyless remote was broken -> got new one under warranty.

So far it's great car.. other than rear break problem..
  • Options
    franzeyfranzey Member Posts: 9
    how difficult would it be to install a new/used horn in my 01 Elantra? I am looking at getting one new or from a junk yard. Will Hyundai models work or can I use any horn model? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    I replaced my factory horn with a pair of FIAMM CTE horns purchased at Pep Boys. My car gets attention when I beep now :) Go to this link and scroll down to "Replacing the Factory Horn".

<http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/garage.shtml>

• Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Wow, is that ever helpful! One thing I have not liked on my GLS is the honk of the horn. I'll save this project for spring, if I don't get too lazy about it...
  • Options
    Has anybody installed any custom rims on their elantras? How big of size of the rims can you go (example-15 inch, 17 inch)? I installed a set of american racing 14 inch rims on my 2000 elantra (don't grt me wrong, they look good!)but I personally think a set of bigger rims and tires would look great on this car! If anybody has any input or pictures to show of their elantra with wheels, please post!!
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    your car with optional wheels and tires.
  • Options
    tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    I have a 2000 sonata that has had the regulator swapped out twice now as recent as yesterday. When I took a look back in the shop area I was surprises they had the passenger door apart too. They said they had some new updated parts and they may as well put em in both doors at the same time.

I did ask the mechanic if the elantra has the same components as the Sonata and he said he wasnt sure as he hasnt had to repair an Elantra as yet.

My '02 Elantra hasnt had this problem yet either.

Tony
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You can at least go 15", because that's what all new Elantras (01+) come with. Tirerack will also tell you what sizes are compatible with your car. I am sure you can go as high as 18", but no comment on how it would probably look... :)
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Ever wonder for what purpose Hyundai dealers use the "advertising fee" that many of them charge? I saw an example today in my Sunday paper. There was a half-page ad, a general one which listed all the dealers in my area, advertising current incentives on Hyundais. It mentioned a $1500 rebate on Elantras and $1000 on Accents. Great! OK, so when do these incentives expire? Today. One problem: car dealers aren't open on Sundays in Minnesota. Doh!
  • Options
    I had 2 of my regulators replaced in my elantra. Last year in July, I had to take my wife's 2001 Honda Civic in to replace the power window regulator on the driver's side also. I had a 85 Nissian Stanza and a 86 Honda Accord with power windows and never had any problems with them. I wonder if they are manufactoring and using less quality parts now than they did in the past?? It seems like there are more problems with today's power windows in many cars than there was years before.
  • Options
    Thanks fellas! It was neat on that Tire Rack website to see what the rims would look like on a Elantra. I think 16-17 inch rims look really great on the Elantra. Has anybody ever purchased rims off that website??
  • Options
    wandam1wandam1 Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2003 Elantra GLS. I'm interested in the rain vent visor for the windows in acrylic black, haven't been able to find a manufacture that has them for the 2003 model. Has anyone installed them & does anyone have any ideas.
  • Options
    canpamcanpam Member Posts: 24
    I love my Elantra- this car has been reliable over the almost 2 years since purchase. I am almost at 40k and the car is running like it was new.
  • Options
    dmickdmick Member Posts: 28
    I have not seen any all black Ventvisors for the Elantra, They do come in Smoke, manufactured by Ventvisor, They usually only list them for the model year 2001, but are the same for the 02,03 years. I purchased mine from Pep Boys Online for around $52.00 + free shipping back in November. I have not been able to install them because of the cold weather, they say not to install below 45 degrees. So I can't say how they will look, but I do have them on a Silverado and they have been on for 4 years no problems.
  • Options
    204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    window visor for 03 Elantras (actually no diff than 01 or 02 models). $44 for fronts, $79 for 4 doors. There is a discussion on these at Elantaxd.com Incidentally, this is an excellent sight for Elantra info. Lots of boy racers here, but full of great info, esp for aftermarket stuff. Try it -- you will like it!
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    The GLS tested by the IIHS was a 2001 and got a poor rating. Does anyone know if any struture/design changes were made since 01 to improve the offset crash performance?
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    and that the air bags would deploy on time in 99+% of the tests. The lack of a recall upset me.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Some things not related to airbags were:

driver's seat broke
    driver's knee injured by metal behind dash.

Both of these things should have been fixed?

By not re testing the car Hyundai reinforces the perception that they can't build a car that competes, in all areas, with the market leaders like Honda and Toyota. My wife won't even look at the Elantra after seeing the crash results.
  • Options
    zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    LOL gimme a break . crash tests are so out of line from real world crashes . I have no idea why people put so much behind them . you get tboned in a honda , toyota , mazda any small car your in a world of hurt . Offset ? when have u seen a car hit in an offset crash into a solid concrete block ? Never they get hit by other cars in offset . don't you think that the other car will absorb alot more energy than a solid concrete block ? Crash tests should be taken with a grain of salt . especialy IIHS tests. remember it is the insurance industry doing the tests . Dummys used in tests don't act like people . people react alot different in a crash than dummys do . they can simulate how dead wieght will react in a crash but a living body isn't dead wieght . Thats why dummys don't break arms when airbags go off but people do when they drive like we use to be taught how to hold a stering wheel . 10 and 2 . u get in a crash hold the wheel like that what happenes . you lock your arms . the airbag goes off it either breaks your arm or you arms fly back and hit yourself in the head or face and break on your head or break your face .

so morral of the story is don't just go by a crash test . use your head and realise it is just a tool . because a crash test said that this one car acted this way in this test doesn't mean it will act that way wiht a real live person in the car . there are just way to many variables .

flame on
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    The '02 and '03 Elantras got 5 star safety ratings.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    I don't necessarily think the other post about crash tests was a flame. Alot of people check crash tests before buying a specific make/model. What other data do we have to go on besides the crash tests and insurance ratings? Friends' experiences, but that's about it.

Safety is at the top of the list for many car shoppers, and I personally can't blame them. It was definitely in the top 3 for me when I got my car.
  • Options
    yes i agree it is important , and i didn't mean that there coments were flames . i ment i was ready to be flamed for what i said .
    your right that some people look to crash tests when they buy a car . thats a good thing , an informed buyer is a smart buyer . but some people put way to much stock in them is all i am saying . how can a test in a lab be anything like real life ? how many tests have a suv slaming into a civic per say ? or a toyota runing into the back of a ford f250 , or visversa? a test of a car running into a solid ungiving object will not simulate how a car will handle 95% (my guesstomation) of most crashes in the real world . so how can you take these tests as the godspal? i just wanted people to think about my comments and see that it is just a tool and not the answer . lets face it if you take 5 of the same model cars and crash them the same way in the same fashion you will get 5 different results . thats because each car , although they are the same model ,will have different results because of the little differences in each car . so remember crash test scores are good to look at ,BUT they are just something to think about .
    that all i ment by my comments .
  • Options
    Supposedly, the IIHS offset tests are suppose to be closer to real life accidents than the front flat into barrier tests that the Government does. I wish they would mandate the European type crash tests in the US, then you would see cars failing or getting bad grades left and right...
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I don't think ANY manufacturer retests their cars, which just reinforces the above mentioned "perception" about all automakers. It's silly to put such disproportionate pressure on Hyundai because of one crash test. The fact remains that the basic structure of the Elantra in the offset test was not unusually affected.

My philosophy on this is simple: don't get into the crash in the first place. It is more than just luck that I've been spared in 20+ years of driving.

The smart buyer will recognize how diligently this company has worked to improve their products. If any other automaker put forth such an effort, I might be driving one of their products instead.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I agree with you for the most part. However, the IIHS test crashes a car into a deformable barrier that is supposed to simulate hitting a car the same weight as the car being tested. It does not slam a car into a hard concrete wall like the Gov't test. So it does represent real life crashes better than the NHTSA, but obviously it is a controlled environment.
  • Options
    to be honost i really am not sure what the iihs crashes there cars into . so maybe it is my bad for saying that. but i think my point is that saying .." this car got a bad rating in 1 crash test i won't even think about looking at it " is in my view , note i said MY view , a joke . it is down right laughable . 1 car crashing might give you a basic idea of how it with preform ina crash but by no means willit tell you how they all will.

so i guess what i am trying to say is put some stock behind them but by all means don't use it as the all mighty word to end all words i guess , if that makes any sence .

its kinda like the neverending resale value debate . if you are gonna only keep a car 2 years sure it should be concidered , but if u plan on keeping the car for more than 5 years it is a moot point . but yet people bash cars for resale value being low so they have to have a honda. it just makes me laugh..

flame on .
  • Options
    clayman1000clayman1000 Member Posts: 69
    Then the crash tests are fair. You need some kind of feedback.
    Consumer Reports gave very high marks for the Elantra in all but the offset crash. Good enough for me.

I considered a Forester before my Elantra GT, till I saw how much the insurance was. This is a car built for safty but the car is expensive to fix. In fact, the Elantra has better crash test results overall except for the offset, compared to the Forester.

So it is a trade off.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    ... and not for anything, but the IIHS crash tested three Elantras, all performed extremely similarly with regard to structure, and 2 of the 3 suffered VERY late deploying airbags. Thats indicative of something, to me.

Also, if we didnt have crash tests, do you think that seatbelts and airbags would have ever come into existence? What about crumple zones?

jimbeaumi: many manufacturers request retests in the IIHS offset crash, after modifying cars that didnt perform as well as they would have like- I know that VW and Toyota have done this on many occasions.
    ~alpha
  • Options
    dlaing1dlaing1 Member Posts: 17
    A car can be engineered to do well in a specific safety test, but fail in many real life situations. ie. soft crumple zones do well in low speed accidents. No crumple zones do better at high speeds. But you are better off with some crumple zone because at high speeds you are probably dead anyway. If Hyundai wants to sell cars, they should play the game and make it ace the tests. If you look at the pictures of some of the competition after the tests, it is pretty clear that if they were going a little faster, the engine would be in the passenger compartment. Hyundai just has make a better bumper, softer crumple zones, stronger seat so it does not break!!!, better dash padding so you don't break limbs against metal!!! and airbags that deploy on time!!! Perhaps a more solid cage to protect the passengers. Not trivial, but they beat the competition in so many other places, this is clearly where they are losing. But I'll bet if I crash head on into a 2500 pound civic with my 2700 pound elantra the damage will be about the same.
    I have seen VW Jettas destroy Honda Civics even though the civics have a better rating...go figure....rant mode off.
  • Options
    I am NOT saying crash tests are bad . i am NOt saying that they shouldn't be done . what i am saying is not to use what they say in the tests as the end to end all . use it as a tool .

alpha yes they used 3 cars but each car was used in a DIFFERENT type of crash not all in the same . can u please give a link about the 2 outta 3 late deploying airbags . your speaking of it was the first i have heard about it and would like to check it out . information is a good thing :)
  • Options
    Here you go:

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0103.htm

The IIHS tested 3 Elantras in the same test. 2 of them had late deploying airbags.
  • Options
    adlaing, what does the following mean?-
    "I have seen VW Jettas destroy Honda Civics even though the civics have a better rating...go figure....rant mode off.

thats great. who cares about damage? if the Jetta destroyed the civic, but the jetta's occupants sustained worse injuries, then damage isnt going to matter much to the Jetta folks.

~alpha
  • Options
    I don't know about Civics, because I don't know anyone who has one. But I know a couple people who have crashed their Golfs and Jettas, pretty extensive damage, and they walked away.

One person hit a broken-down car in her Golf while going 55mph, and she walked away. The car was totalled of course. Another was rear-ended by a car travelling faster than his was, and pushed into a Jersey wall at about 55mph. He walked away with a sprained ankle and a fractured finger. And yet another was hit at 50mph, left front end side, and spun around 3 times and into the front of a Dodge Durango. He walked away as well.

Of course, I have heard at least one story on here of a 2001 Civic owner walking away from a pretty severe accident.
  • Options
    hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    IIHS does not claim their test is "closer to real life accidents" than the NHTSA test.
    "The bottom line is that full-width tests are especially demanding of restraints but less demanding of structure, while the reverse is true in offsets."
    http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm#
    The agency says the same thing. "Based on a study of comparative crash test results for 21 vehicles, the NHTSA concluded that the full frontal crash test is a more stringent evaluation of the restraint system performance."
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/CrashWorthy/FrontOffset/offrt- /offrt.html#offrt1

What does the NCAP test results tell you about the restraint system in Elantra?

BTW, did you look up the manual to see what flashing Check Engine light means?
  • Options
    Check engine light flash? I don't know what it means, but you realize I have a VW right?
  • Options
    It can happen to your car. Toyota does not guarantee your car's restraint system will work 100% as designed in a crash. The Camry probably has a Delphi system since it's made in the US.
  • Options
    It applies to all 1996+ cars.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm not accusing Hyundai of installing late firing airbags. I'm simply stating that in two of three crash tests performed by the IIHS, a late firing airbag contributed to poor head injury measures. Thats not my opinion. That is a fact. Intonge was kind enough to post the link. Thanks again.

In regards to postings about Civics and VWs, all I am saying is that at the end of the day, the dollar value or appearance of damage doesnt matter if the driver can come away with his life. I am making this statement in reference to the following quote, by adlaing.

"I have seen VW Jettas destroy Honda Civics even though the civics have a better rating...go figure....rant mode off."

I dont understand that comment. Thats all. Who cares if a Jetta can destroy a Civic? If I were the driver of the destroyed Civic, and I walked away because the car absorbed the forces of the crash, I'd be happy!

~alpha
    ps- our 00 Camry was made in Japan.
  • Options
    thanks for the page i have seen it before but never realised they used 3 cars . still not sold on the information to be used as the end all , not only for the elantra but any car , so don't think i am just trying to stand up for the elantra but all cars . the photo of the barrier they use does show it has a crushable front but looks kinda solid after my guess of 15 inchs of crush zone . cars that you run into don't have that . as far as late deploying airbags , i hope that was just a glitch if not i hope it was fixed that was an 01 model they used if it was a problem i hope something was done .
  • Options
    I've been out of town (way out) for awhile so just saw the recent thread on crash tests. If you remember the guy from Hyundai marketing who was posting on the defunct "Hyundai is the greatest..." forum for awhile, he said that a fix had been made to the front seat mounts that should help the problem noted by IIHS regarding the seats moving forward too far in their tracks. The fix cost about $6 in parts. However, he also said it had only been applied to Elantras made for the Korean market. I asked him when it was going to be applied to the U.S. market cars, and he said he'd check but did not reply before the board shut down. He also said that Hyundai still doesn't know why the airbags deployed late on two of the Elantras tested by IIHS. He said Elantras use the same sensors as the Sonata, which tested fine. I wrote a letter to Finnbar O'Neill, HMA President, about the IIHS crash tests and the seat mods, and after many weeks got a phone call the other day from someone at HMA who wanted to talk about my letter. I've been out of town for two weeks and we've been playing phone tag, but I'll let you know if I find anything out.
  • Options
    The sensors in Elantra are not the same as those in Sonata. Sonata is equipped with Siemens SRE system.
  • Options
    What kind does the Elantra have?

The Hyundai guy I mentioned, John Yoon a.k.a. site815, said in "Hyundai is the greatest car line available to the public", post 1217,

For your information the Airbag sensor and deployment unit in the Elantra is IDENTICAL to the one in the Sonata. The sensors are both located in the same place. The Sonata did not have any problems with the IIHS crash tests. This is why we cannot reproduce the results in our tests (I assure you we meet or in most aspects exceed the test rigorness of the IIHS tests).

So if he's wrong on that one, I think that puts all his other posts into question.
  • Options
  • Options
    No problem. Glad I could help out. I do agree with you that a car should not be graded on one crash test alone. Data needs to be gathered from all tests performed before drawing a conclusion. Overall, I think the Elantra is one of the safer cars in its class, especially when you take into account its standard side-impact airbags (something neither of my new economy cars even offered as an option; 03 Suzuki Aerio SX and 02 Mitsu Lancer OZ).
  • Options
    ian't it grand when we all can just play sooooo nice
  • Options
    site815site815 Member Posts: 16
    The SRSCM, DAB, PAB, SAB are all Delphi systems.

DAB, BPT : 0957A-38400
    PAB, SAB : 0957A-38300

Both are the same parts.

Although, I am not an engineer so there could be discrepancies in different regional specs.

If anyone is genuinely interested, I can check for sure.