Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• atlantabennyatlantabenny Member Posts: 735
    I'm quite sure the trim pieces can be removed to restore the original appearance. However most if not all pieces will probably break during removal (applying heated air before removal might help); the 3M adhesive is strong. Any event, after removing the pieces, I imagine using Goo Gone or any weak solvent to get the adhesive out.

In case you're wondering, I chose burlwood for an understated effect. Both my wife's car (graphite/grey) and mine (silver/black) have it; $180 online.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Edmunds.com has posted its wrapup of the long term review of a 2003 Accord. You can access the entire series via the Helpful Links box. Or you can click here to go directly to the final write-up.

Enjoy!
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    The edmunds.com Long Term test of the Accord is great. Not much new, but thats good- everyone knows what a great car it is. My suggestion would be to Edmunds, however- under 18,000 miles hardly strikes me as a "Long Term" test. Perhaps they should lighten the Long Term fleet and record more miles. Of the major mags, Car and Driver and Automobile hold their cars MUCH longer- Car and Driver for example, goes to 40,000 miles. And although Motor Trend doesnt log many miles, at least they dont call it a "LONG TERM" test.... its clearly specified as "ONE YEAR".

Once again, edmunds.com as a journalistic entry fails to impress me.

~alpha

oh yea- when is the 2005 Accord due? Late summer early fall? Or earlier than that?
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    Honda usually releases the new model year in September/October.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If anyone wants comments or suggestions to be read by the editorial staff, the thing to do is to use the Contact Us tab on the Help page (link at left and also at the very bottom).
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,147
    Overall a good test for 4 cyl 03 Accord.
    The summary at the bottom of review shows some minor complaints about rattles and service problems at the dealer, much like commented on by many writers in the Accord discussions. It lends validity to the over comments about negative experiences from the writers here.

I was surprised at only 30 mpg for the highest mileage during the test. They must be hot rodding that 4. People here report substantially better trip mileage.

That's a review worth reading.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Any good sources for a Metal and leather shift knob for the Accord sedan? Something like that found in Acura TSX or TL (but with 5 speed pattern on it). My EX Leather shift knob is nice but looking for a little appearance upgrade.
  • catamcatam Member Posts: 331
    My 04 Accord is Silver with black leather interior. I haven't really looked closely, but it doesn't appear like the metal trim is removable, at least not without great effort. It looks like if you removed it you would need to replace the piece removed with a standard trim item. (The metal appears to be part of the trim, not something that was laid over existing trim.)
    I did not pay any extra for the metal trim. At least not in a negotiated sense. The trim was on the car I wanted, and I negotiated based on invoice for a 4 cyl auto EX leather.
  • richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    "Honda usually releases the new model year in September/October."

It could be sooner. I bought my 2004 Accord on August 25th which was about a week after the new model was available for sale....Richard
  • synpthesissynpthesis Member Posts: 28
    just in looks but the numbers (see Car and Driver; Motortrend) also suggests that the Accord resembles the Camry which is just another Buick!
    I find this deeply disappointing.
    Any chance that Honda will redesign and reengineer this car anytime soon? I was waiting to see if the Civic could create a buzz for 2005 but nothing significant till date.
    My current requirements are not complicated: performance, reliability and fuel economy in a neat and tidy package. If the Accord sales hold then Honda is doing all the right things. If not yeah, the Buick crowd moved on to 300Cs with Hemis!
    "Any chance that Honda will redesign.....anytime soon?"

Not likely: Honda is on a 5 year cycle, so the current Accord's first year of 2003 will be little changed until the 2008 model appears in late summer or early fall, 2007......Richard
  • boxlaxmanboxlaxman Member Posts: 4
    I have the blue with black interior and the trim that is standard is just on the center console and armrests I think. You can get additional trim the goes up the center console and along the glove box and dask to complete a T kind of look.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    But I also thought the Intrepid was nice when first introduced. Chryler products seem to have a short shelf life. They seem to start looking dated rather quickly. They also seem to get a "weathered" look about them. Even pampered Vipers seem to lose the gloss in the paint rather quickly.
    on a search to replace an aging 1991 Honda Accord. This car is wonderful, reliable and just the rust and oil top ups show its age. I have little trouble keeping up with traffic at the stop lights (6,000rpm+ is a heavy foot away) can attain extra legal speed in 3rd gear and with regular oil changes (full syn) good rubber and typical maintenance have little trouble with this car. Honda design and craft I admire.
    Yet when I look at the current model I shake my head. I have tried to adapt to the looks but no way. Buick angles and curves abound.
    I would like to know: which car is the current day equivalent of the 90-93 Honda Accord?
    Low cowl, light zingy engine, light on it's feet, well designed center stack. I'd look there.
    The Mazda 6i is good if you choose the manual transmission. I was ready to buy a Mazda 6i because I had a superb '91 Mazda Protegé. But I wanted an automatic and the Mazda 4 speed AT is poorly matched to the engine--not nearly as pleasant to drive as the 4 cyl. Accord which I bought and like very much including the style.

The Camry runs well if you can stand its blandness and squishy ride--I coundn't.

Take a look at the new Volvo S40 which is VERY slick--it's related to the Mazda 3 which looks like a winner, too......Richard
  • aggie1995aggie1995 Member Posts: 318
    Acura TSX
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    Is it just me or does the new gen. Accord (as well as probably many new models from other brands) seem to have decreased vertical field of vision, especially at the top if you are a tall person? I am 6'2", and with older cars have never noticed this--but on the new Accord, it seems as if the top aspect of my field of vision is cut off by the roof / sun visor area. I suspect it has to do with the fact that newer models are more aerodynamic and sloping, and also have higher cowls. The top of the windshield is significantly lower than the peak height of the ceiling due to the sloping effect. Yet I never thought that a good thing (aerodynamic design) would lead to a bad thing, being decreased visibility. During test drives of the new Accord as well as a recent rental car (new Mitsubishi Galant), I noticed this and it was irritating. On an older Nissan Altima (1997) as well as a new Ford Explorer, this is not an issue for me at all. Is it just me or does anyone else notice this, especially those of you who are tall?
    The Accord was famous for its low hood--tall window design with lots of glass area and great visibility. I suspect Honda went to a thicker lower body at the expense of window area for safety reasons.

If you look at an older Accord--especially the 1990-1993 model--you can see the tall "greenhouse" design, but there's much less crash protection evident in the lower body.

The new Accord probably owes much of its superior safety rating to the fatter structure along with multiple airbags. Visibilty is sacrificed which is unfortunate.......Richard
  • cottongincottongin Member Posts: 10
    I purchased an EX-L yesterday and love it. I was driving home from the store this evening (right at dusk) and got home and realized I hadn't turned my headlights on. The dash lights up as if they were on and I totally forgot. Has anyone else experienced this? Any tricks on remembering?
  • accordedaccorded Member Posts: 5
    cottongin:
    I did exactly the same thing. Oncoming traffic flashed their lights to alert me. I felt pretty stupid. That one experience bringing the new car home was enough to change my habits. Now I just realize that when you open the door to the car and all kinds of lights come on. When I need headlights I turn them on. A blue light appears on the dash to alert you they are on. Enjoy your new Accord. I love mine.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    When I test drove an Accord EXV6 coupe one night, I noticed that my headlights weren't own after driving the car for about 5 mins. In the area where I drove the car, the streets were brigthly lit and even the salesperson didn't realize it.

Now that I have finally bought a new car, I just drive with my headlights on all the time and the automatic headlight switch cuts them off.

As far as the Accord's styling. It has grown on me a great deal since introduction. It was my close second choice, and in two or three years when I am ready to buy another one, I will definately consider one. I LOVE Hondas, and though my Nissan is a good car, it isn't built like a Honda.

With all the money I will be getting back from College in the fall, I can easily pay my Altima off this year and have another car by next year.

And it will be an Accord EXV6 :)
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Just leave them on and let the car auto-off.

There is also a green dashboard indicator that tells you they are on. You can get used to seeing that on to remind yourself to leave them on if you do not like the "always on" solution.

I turn them on and off each time! Habit.
    I hope to get as much engine power as possible with as little of the car that I can escape with. The TSX seems all dressed up but is a no-show when clutches are dropped - not exactly my preference.
    Something quick with crisp handling that doesn't sip premium yet lots of fun to drive.
    (skip leather, NAVI, 6CD-changer etc)
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    just called Honda Cust Service at the 800 number. spoke with LaVerne. i asked her for the name and address (for FedEx purposes) of the CEO. she would not give me the name of the CEO of Honda. isn't that illegal? in the U.S., aren't we supposed to get to know who that person is?

Honda is digging themselves in deeper and deeper. i just did a search on brake issues on the NHTSA website....they are in some serious trouble with this stuff. i guess they know it since they have been instructed to not give out the name of the person ultimately responsible.

does anyone happen to have that info? if so, could you give it to me?

Thanks!
  • michwysmichwys Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2004 LX V-6 back in December and I am interested to see if anybody has installed Satellite Radio in a similiar vehicle? I am interested in an in-dash system, if thats possible. Also, my car has 9150 miles on it and I have already changed the oil twice(the dealer advised me to it in intervals of 3750 miles--and it's on them so I figured why not--but I have noticed that people change theirs' every 5000/7500 miles---which is preferable?? Thanks in advance!
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    justin - Honda is not a US based corporation so AFAIK, they don't have to give out the information.

You can try here to find out the specific person's name:

http://world.honda.com/profile/

Also, here are all of Honda's US subsidiaries - all with a CEO I presume - which do you want?

http://world.honda.com/USA/

Good Luck in your quest.
  • kareshikareshi Member Posts: 28
    the cust service rep is probably a little employee who doesn't want to get into trouble.. I am sure a company in the stock market has all the company information you need..
  • jumpnjoejumpnjoe Member Posts: 34
    I used to always drive w/my headlights on. One of the few things I don't like about my new Accord EX-V6 is that when the headlights are on during the day, you can't read the radio display, so I don't turn my lights on unless its dark and know sometimes I forget to turn them on too. Wish their was a dimming/brightening control for the display.
  • rcc8179rcc8179 Member Posts: 131
    Unless the auto-climate control system is different than the manual control, all you need to do is turn the brightness control all the way to the right. In this position, the instrument panel and the radio will be at full brightness with the headlights on. When you drive at night, you will probably have to turn it down to avoid blinding yourself, but the display should be able to light up completely with the headlights on.
  • cdipierrocdipierro Member Posts: 1
    Its the same with the climate control models...just turn the brightness all the way to the right (past the click) and it will be at full brightness with the lights on.

Its funny that jumpnjoe mentions this, because this is exactly one of the things I LOVE about the new accords (I traded up from a '93) since I also like to drive around with my lights always on. They fixed nearly everything I didn't like about the old one.
  • jumpnjoejumpnjoe Member Posts: 34
    Found the brightness switch today. Thanks for the update. Should have read the owners manual more closely : ).
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    I bought an XM Roady from Circuit City. I had them install it with an FM Modulator and it works just fine. It was a lot cheaper than installing a whole new radio, $240.00 in total.
    It was not in my Honda but in my '98 4Runner. I just do the roady plug-in with my '95 Accord.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I searched the archives and almost all the posts on mileage were for the 4 cyl. What kind of mileage (around town and highway cruising) are you 2003 and 2004 V6 owners getting? Thanks.
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    I'm getting mileage in the low twenties around town and around 30 mpg on FLAT longer highway runs with my 2004 V6 Coupe.
  • figelwumpfigelwump Member Posts: 34
    Honda/Acura sales are way up in May, including the Accord:

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=241371
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    yea, i have never got lower than 22 in the city (stop-n-go commute), and have actually done around 32 on long highway trips with speeds up to 85 mpg (but average is between 65-70). seems quite efficient for such a powerful engine! i like that!
  • gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    I just brought my 2003 4 cylinder Accord into the dealer for and oil and filter change today. I have this service performed every 3,000 miles. The dealer was running a "special" on this service $17.99 + N.J. tax. I know, I am wasting my money! But it was a choice to either spend it on beer, or get the oil and filter changed. Since beer is bad for your health, I got the oil changed!
    For that price I'd go out and get a beer as well. I guess that as long as it doesn't hurt the car then it's money well spent. It's also go for peace of mind!
    I have a 2004 LX V-6 w/ 9200 miles and I average 24MPG/City and 32MPG/Hgwy(from DC to NY and back--averaging 75/80MPH----w/ A/C--about 30MPG--never lower.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    It's amazing a 240hp vehicle can get that kind of mileage and performance and on regular gas no less.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Sorry...missed this one...

I work for a local dealer.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    I just took my 2003 Accord V6 on a 400 mile trip yesterday with about 80% highway, 2 passengers and A/C on all the way. Got 31.2 MPG... even I was amazed.
  • nw1997nw1997 Member Posts: 227
    We have approx. 2,700 miles on our 04 Accord V6. I changed the oil and put in 0W-20 Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. I only use Premium fuel in the Accord. Best mileage so far with 90% Hwy is 36 MPG. Heavy city driving with A/C on is around 20 MPG.
  • slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    While reading past posts on this board, I came across the following message which to my knowledge remained unanswered on this board. I also noticed this person's gripe/question today while taking a test drive with a V6-Navi sedan.

Please answer if you can--thanks! The following is the text from the previous post:

Every time I start my car, the navigation screen comes up with the "safety and warning" screen, telling you to enter your destination information before you leave, check your owner's manual, etc. It's 2 screens of information. Then you have to press OK before the map comes up. Is there any way to bypass this "safety" screen so that it automatically comes up with the map guide, audio screen or anything besides the "safety" screen? I've read this screen dozens of times so I know what I have to do.
    I love the navigation system and if I have to put up with this little annoyance, then so be it. But I thought I'd check to see if there was a way around it.
    Thanks.
    It's called CYA. As dictated by the lawyers.

Nope! You can't bypass it.
  • htthtt Member Posts: 75
    I averaged around 26 mpg consistently for many fillups. The mpg is the same for 87, 89 and 93. I would say my daily driving is about 75% highway 25% city. AC is used about 80% of the time. I have about 2800 miles on the car right now. I believe gas mileage will be better after it's well broken in.

The car feels better with 89 octane than 87. 93 doesn't feel any better than 89. I plan to stick to 89 if it isn't too expensive.
    I don't know why.
  • cjones88cjones88 Member Posts: 23
    I'm about to purchase the Accord V6 with Navi. I'm a gadget geek and really want the bluetooth capability that the Acura TL has, but don't want to fork over the $8000 or so more for the Acura. I've read in previous posts that the Navi system for the Accord is the same as the one for Acura's TSX and TL. Does anyone know if it's possible to find or purchase from Acura the bluetooth module and do a custom install on the Accord?

Second question--if that's not possible, does anyone have experience with the new Bluetooth products made by Sony Ericsson or Motorola that are hardwired? Does the mute stereo function work?

Final question--does anyone know if bluetooth is a possible option for the 2005 model year? Any indication of other options?
    CDMA wireless technology has over 75 million users in North America, and doesn't presently use Bluetooth to any significant degree. GSM wireless technology, that sells more phones that are compatible with Bluetooth, has only about 24 million users in North America.

Recently, there have been concerns expressed in the technical media about Bluetooth security problems. Perhaps those are some of the reasons why Honda hasn't chosen to offer it.