Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

kia rondo doors

boydewboydew Member Posts: 10
edited July 2014 in Kia
I recently brought a 2009 kia rondo but we find that we have to have the heat on high if the weather is at or below freezing. When driving there is cold air coming in through the door handles and the buttons on the doors, also the doors are cold to the touch. We have to wear our coats and gloves when driving. Has anyone else had this problem. Also the temperature gages are in US degrees, which we don`t understand any more.

Comments

• bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    Not sure about the drafty doors - our 07 is quite tight and draft-free (I live in Newfoundland, so it gets windy here).
    As for the degrees, the manual states how to change the readout to Celcius.
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    first we need to know what model of Rondo you bought, also where you are located. The engine temperature gauge does not show any degrees its just markings from cold to hot with the correct setting just below the centre mark. So not sure what you are referring to, or could it be the temperature on the auto air if so check page 4-75 in manual to switch between Fahrenheit and Centigrade.
    I have a '08 EX model and have no problem keeping warm in the vehicle having used it as low as -30 C (and on my third winter). Those heated seats are a big help. As for wearing coats and gloves when driving, I do to if the distance is not too far, but if long distance in cold weather its usually down to a light jacket or sweater, don't like it too hot in the car makes you drowsy. Not often I used the heat on max fan.
    If the cold air is entering the door then something is not sealed right, take it to the dealer for correction.

'08 EX Rondo, 5-seater; Ontario Canada
  • tourist1292tourist1292 Member Posts: 31
    I do not have such problem with my 08 Rondo EX either. Indeed, I rarely need to turn on the heat even it has been 10-20F (-15C to -6C) outside in the few weeks.
  • boydewboydew Member Posts: 10
    Our Kia Rondo is a 2.7L V6EX. The temperature gauge I`m talking about is the temperature inside and outside your car. It shows the temperature in Fahrenheit and centigrade, not in Celius and you cannot change it like one writer suggested. Which leads me to believe that the car was made for the US market. We had to phone Kia head office because we had phoned the dealership 3-4 times and there was always nobody in that could help us out and they never phoned back. Head office had someone phone us within minutes and we have an appointment for Jan-29. Oh by the way we live in AB
    Boydew,
    Our Rondo is a 2.7L V6 EX too. The outside/inside temp display can be changed from Fahrenheit (F) to Celcius (C). The instructions are in the owner's manual (see page 4-74) - press the AUTO button (keep it down) and press the OFF button for 3 seconds or more. The display will change from F to C, or vice versa
    However, maybe the car is a US model, like you say. If so, it might not have Celcius capability.
    centigrade is celcius! If it was a US car it would have mph on the speedo as the dominant figures not kilometers. Also if it was bought new it would be for the Canadian market, otherwise the dealer couldn't sell it. You would only get a US car if it was used or you went to the US to buy it. But that is immaterial as regards the temperature adjustment, this part works the same worldwide.
    Sounds like you need to read your owners manual from front to back, there's a lot of good information in there. If you want more check out the KGIS site.
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    i was going to ask what the heck is centigrade, i'm sure i've heard it before.
    i guess the F/C option is in the US models too, there must be some people in US who prefer to read Celsius, like new immigrants.

if you asked the salesman during your test drive, i'm sure he would spend all the time he had to show you how to change it, if he didn't know he would find out in no time, now they ignore you because they have cashed your check, it is exactly the kind of attitude that lead us into this auto industry down turn in North America.

2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    You were right about the temperature change. I did not even bother to try to change it because it says in the book to change from fahrenheit to centigrade to depress the auto and off buttons, never said anything about celcius. Anyway the fact remains that this car is cold when you are driving on the highway. Anything over 40km and you can feel the cold air coming through any attachement on the doors even the speakers and the doors are cold to the tough. We will fine out the problem on Jan - 29th.
    Boydew,
    Keep us up-to-date with your issue.
  • colloquorcolloquor Member Posts: 482
    Here in the USA, Celsius used to be called centigrade. In fact in many scientific circles, it's still called centigrade! In 1948 the 9th General Conference on Weights and Measures, representing 33 nations that subscribed to the Treaty of the Meter, adopted the name Celsius honoring Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius (1701–1744), who developed a similar temperature scale two years before his death. During my high school and college scientific studies, albeit back in the '60s and early '70s, it was still called centigrade.

For those on this forum who may have an electronics interest, it's much analogous to the change in frequency nomenclature. Using a wireless router's transmitting/receiving frequency as an example, it used to be called 2.4G Cycles per Second (gigacycles/second). To honor the German physicist Heinrich Hertz, who made important scientific contributions to electromagnetism, they changed "cycles per second" to "Hertz". So, the aforementioned wireless router operates at 2.4GHz.

Now back to regular programming...
    Just had our Kia rondo in the shop today to have the doors checked out and it can`t be fixed because the door panel that covers the handles and any opening on the doors is made of thin steel or tin and it is rivitted onto the door frame. They tried to seal any opening that might cause air to get into the car but it did not help. There is still cold air coming through the doors and the doors are cold to the touch. Also found out today that other customers are having the same problem with the 2009 Rondo.
    So I guess they are saying that we have to live with it. NOT HAPPY
    That's correct as the inner door panel behind the plastic top cover does have a metal panel, but they can be drilled out the rivets if they have to, but there is no way you have to live with it. If its an obvious problem it must be corrected, however in some cases its not always easy to find. Did they simulate air going through the door by blowing with a air hose?
    There is proceedures listed in your warranty manual as to what you can do if you are not satisfied with the results and failing all of that you can also contact KIA in Korea on their website as they want to make sure your dealer and region is looking after you properly.

I double checked on my '08 as we came along the 401 (|Highway of Heroes) today doing over 100 km and with those speeds it was easy to check if any cold coming through the door - nothing at all, totally draft free, also nothing around the door seal. It was -18C and we were very warm in the car, with the fan at its lowest setting a full heat temperature. Also its so nice to turn on the heated seats when you need it.

I have not come across this problem on other forums.
  • 93949394 Member Posts: 74
    my Rondo is also 09, but doesn't have cold air problem.

i once drove from Vancouver to Calgary, snowing heavily near Lake Louise, never had cold air coming through the door.

we have something in common though, the service department at the local dealer sucks, if Kia wants to overtake the Japanese brands, other than making good cars (which they have already done, i really like my Rondo) they have to retrain all their service people.

2016 eSoul - All Electric - Zero Emission
    called kia canada twice about our car doors . They were supposed to call us back last week Feb 15th--19th has off today the 23th have not had a call back and they said they would phone. There has to be something done with these doors, our legs get cold from the cold air coming through even with the heated seats on. Going to call them back today, if I get no help is there any one out there who has any suggestions on who to call.
    Thank you
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    Many years ago I had a problem with my Jeep that the dealer & AMC (before Chrysler took over) would not deal with. I called the local T.V. station who had an investigative team that dealt with consumer problems. Holy Cow, once my story hit the air waves I got calls from the dealer and the local rep from AMC. Needless to say, the problem was corrected in a day.
    did you follow the proceedures I suggested in my earlier posting #13 which is in your warranty manual.
    I would be talking to the service manager and then the dealer principal to get this resolved or perhaps take it to another dealer (my dealer has been no problem) or you could inform KIA Canada that you will be contacting KIA in Korea as they have a website link for wanting to hear if you don't get satisfaction from your dealer or Kia Canada.
    this is boydew here after a long absent. I brought my car to the dealership three times about the cold air coming through the doors and we may have it finally fixed.They just put tape over some of the holes on the door panel. There are about 20 holes in a row on the doors to let air into the door. I won`t really know until the weather gets cold again if its going to work. Anyway another thing is the fuel economy- very poor about 8-9km per litre. Should be getting better at eleven thousand km and warmer weather. Anyone getting good milage--let me know.
  • tsm280ztsm280z Member Posts: 30
    Go to the KIA Rondo Real World MPG forum ... many disgruntled owners in regards to mileage.
This discussion has been closed.