Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Some answers:

1) I've heard of window etching, but it sounds like limited value to me (since the VIN is already stamped several other places throughout the car). Lo-Jack certainly is a good service, but again I'm not sure about its value for a 5-series. If you work and/or live in an area with a relatively high car theft rate, you might consider it. But these cars are very resistant to "hot-wiring"; the easiest ways to steal a 5-series are to tow it or to carjack it.

2) Yeah, it does sound like overkill, but to some people getting as much documented as possible for a $50k purchase is logical. If you explain to your dealer you're simply interested in being sure the car's short life has been uneventful, he hopefully won't give you a hassle about it. But I didn't do this, and I suspect few do.

3) Wheel locks are basically a set (one for each wheel) of lug bolts that cannot be used directly with the lug wrench; they require a "key" that interfaces between the wrench and the bolts. This renders steeling your new wheels more difficult, but since the key is universal, it's by no means foolproof. It's not a standard feature (I think it's around $50 or so), but it is a worthwhile peace-of-mind accessory.

4) Bentley, which publishes comprehensive manuals for many cars, has yet to release one for the E39. Perhaps by the time the E60 is released...
  • ek5ek5 Member Posts: 33
    I can't tell you how helpful you've been...Are you going to be around for the next ten years or so? I'll probably have more questions for you during our ownership! By the way, we live in Bergen County, NJ and I think the most stolen car is the Camry? I'll think we'll say no to Lo-Jack and hope for the best, or we could paint it "camouflage" and park it in the woods!
  • johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    Where I live, the local police department does window VIN etching for free. It's not an all-the-time thing, but they set up at a local shopping center every month or two and do it for anyone who wants it. You might try checking with your PD & see if they have this service. A buddy of mine had it done & it looked exactly like what you get from dealers.

Another alternative is to get a do-it-yourself kit. I believe that they're available from various parts places, both online and in stores. A third alternative is to have it done at an aftermarket shop, like a window-tint place; this would almost certainly be cheaper than having the dealer do it. A fourth is to check with your insurance agent--sometimes they provide this service. At the very least, they can tell you whether it might qualify for a premium discount.

I sure as heck wouldn't pay a dealer $195--that sounds like WAY too much. The only benefit from having a dealer do it is that they'd have to be responsible if they screwed it up, but $195 very much overpriced, IMO.
  • delta9delta9 Member Posts: 4
    Does nayone know what the correct tire presure should be for michelin tires on a 530ia with sports package.
  • riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    delta9... It should have the latest and greatest info for your specific car on the day it was built. More timely and specific than even the Owner's Manual.
  • philipnowphilipnow Member Posts: 24
    Ek5, you mentioned that Camry's are the most frequently stolen car. That reminded me of a question I've had when I've read those kind of statistics... do they factor in the prevalence of the car, i.e., that there are lots more Camry's than E39's to begin with?
    Johnnylinc - thanks for your thoughts on VIN etching. We'll certainly look into your suggestions.

Philipnow - Good point about the number of Camrys on the road vs. E39's. I know the 330 is on the list about halfway down. I think is was on Edmunds that you can punch in different cities and the top ten stolen list will come up for various areas. I think I typed in Newark, NJ and NYC since those cities are closest to us. I think the Accord is way up on the list also, and there sure are a lot of those around!
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The Bentley E39 manual is due out late this year...
    According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau (which publishes the top-stolen cars list every year at http://www.nicb.org/services/top_stolen_cars.html), it appears they do not take into account vehicle sales. So, for example, even if every single Ferrari F360 is stolen, it would never make it on the list even if only one-tenth of one percent of Camry's are stolen, since Ferrari's gross US sales (a few hundred) pale in comparison to the Camry's (over 400,000).

It's probably helpful to look at both unweighted and weighted to get a better idea of both what cars theives are looking for, as well as what cars may be vulnerable to theft. It's somewhat of a snowball effect; since Accords and Camry's are the top-selling cars, assuming all else is equal they'll obviously be stolen the most as well. But in addition, there's a very large demand base for their parts. Therefore, organized crime rings target these cars and strip them apart, since they are worth quite a bit when sold off piece-by-piece, which inflates their stolen proportions even more. Finally, these cars (see list below) are relatively inexpensive and do not usually have sophisticated anti-theft and alarm systems which BMW's (and other luxury cars) do.
    • 1. Toyota Camry
    • 2. Honda Accord
    • 3. Oldsmobile Cutlass
    • 4. Honda Civic
    • 5. Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokee
    • 6. Chevrolet Full Size C/K pick-up
    • 7. Toyota Corolla
    • 8. Chevrolet Caprice
    • 9. Ford Taurus
    • 10.Ford F150 pick-up
  • vishnu11vishnu11 Member Posts: 59
    Just "released to carrier". Here's the timeline:
    3/20: EuroDel pickup
    3/28: On the ship
    4/11: car "discharged" to VPC
    4/22: car checked into VPC (11 nail-chewing days!)
    4/23: car released to carrier
    ??: gets here when it gets here. Can't wait!!
  • multiplechoicemultiplechoice Member Posts: 113
    Sorry if you already posted this info., but how did you track the progress of your ED. Did you call BMWNA or can it be done on-line? I know that "order tracking" is not very detailed nor updated very regularly. Thanks!
    You are right - Owner's Circle lags behind significantly compared to other sources of real-time info.

My other sources were:

(a) Call up the manager in-charge at the drop-off point to see when the car was put on the truck to port. In my case, I called up the gent in Munich (Garching). He told me when the car left his lot and was unloaded in Bremerhaven.

(b) Call BMWNA 800-831-1117 at some point after that to find out the name of the ship the car might be on. In my case, it was the AIDA. Hit option 3 and have your production number handy. They might also use your last name/address for ID purposes, though they are not uniform about this procedure.

(c) Track the ship/cargo's progress. It does not track exact locations, but gives you a pretty good time-table of where the ship ought to be. You can see the ship's timetable or you can track by cargo (your car with its VIN is the cargo ID). Click on the "Auto" link to track by cargo. (thanks to snagiel for both b and c)

(d) Once it shows up as "Discharged" on the web, the only option is to call BMWNA to track in real-time. Also, be prepared for unknown delays Stateside. It has been a ritual for me to call at least once in the AM and once in the PM.

(e) Owner's Circle gets updated eventually, so this confirms that BMWNA is not feeding you bull.

(f) Lurk on the bimmer boards to see who got their car from your ship to determine whether you should press the panic button about unknown delays.

(g) When the car is in "released to the carrier" status from the VPC, call the dealer because the dealer has more specific details about arrival etc.

That's all there is to it... :-)

Hope this helps.

• mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    Tomorrow I (finally) take delivery of my 530 Blue Water 5-speed, premium and cold with xenons (ordered mid-February). This board was so incredibly useful as this "BMW virgin" tested the ultimate driving machine's waters with more than a little anxiety and trepidation. [I've never spent this much on a car before!]

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and support ... you guys really do comprise a wonderful community. I sure hope the decision-makers in Germany read your many useful posts about car design and preferences. They've got a great brand and they are getting dangerously close to "over-tinkering", style over substance, IMHO.

I'm sure I'll be back frequently to report on how much I love my new baby and to ask more naive questions when they inevitably arise.

Thank you again everyone. Give me a beep when you see me on the highway, trying my best not exceed redline during the break-in period! [1000 miles or 1500, BTW?]
    1200 miles, actually. Congratulations; If I were you I'd call in sick for the rest of the week and enjoy it.
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    In your excitement - would you mind tellling us (most likely again-sorry) if you are purchasing or leasing?

I am curious, do many people buy the manual w/o the Sport Package - sounds like a good combo!

Would love to know the pricing specifics!
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I came close to buying exactly that,but decided to make my first stick be a less expensive car,(Passat),in case I didn't like it and had to sell soon after purchase. I was being maybe a little overcautious,as a year later,I am pleased to realize just how much fun the manual is.
    even though BMW is known as a sport sedan company,overt performance is not what makes me admire them. For sport I have running and cycling.
    I do have a rather serene driving style.
    But a 525i can fit nicely into that.
  • colt007colt007 Member Posts: 64
    congrats, you'll love it. are u in NYC area? Order some Klasse car polish; it works wonders.

Colt
    you supposed to change the oil for the first time? My dealer said 15,000 miles. I think that's crazy (too long), but he said the synthetic oils last forever.

Also, just curious...what are the two channels running along the roofline (front to back, one on either side)for? They look like a wax/polish nightmare and you'd be digging out wax with a toothpick for weeks! Thanks!
    Oil change intervals have been an issue of much discussion in the past. The E39 introduced a dynamic interval for oil changes by measureing oil quality indirectly (based on number of refeuling stops). Later versions incorporated a direct oil quality gauge which--as far as I understand--can actually detect metallic (and other) deposits in the oil and hence calculate when fresh oil is necessary. Out of cynicism and old-school habits, some have insisted on changing their own oil every 3-5k miles, claiming that the roughly 15k (sometimes more) miles the computer usually comes up with is far too long. Some have even argued it stems from a sinister BMW plan to save some money by reducing the number of warrantied visits to the dealer.

Personally, I disagree (although your dealer is wrong about it being just because of the oil). Well designed and constructed engines today--and BMW builds some of the best--are built to tolerances and from materials unimagined even 10-15 years ago, let alone 30-40 years ago. Each engine BMW produces is fully tested at redline before it leaves the factory (the break-in guidelines protect the rest of the drivetrain more than the engine itself), and the engines produce very few of the harmful particles that pollute the oil and required oil changes so frequently on older cars. Since changing oil is one of the cheapest forms of insurance against engine problems, I highly doubt BMW would try to save a couple bucks (almost literally) on every car stretching the oil change interval out and risk jeopardizing the engine with a whole slew of potential problems down the road (which would cost them far more in warranty work).

As far as the channels, I believe they're designed mainly for running water off quickly and efficiently, but perhaps there's some aerodynamic benefits as well. I've polished and waxed my car a few times since I bought it in December, and I've had no real issues with buildup alongside them. I use a high quality cotton buffing cloth, which gets in there with ease.
  • zubazuba Member Posts: 58
    I have seen a few 540's lately with rear spoilers on them, but whenever I look at the specs for building a car, such as on Edmund's - I never see "spoiler" for BMW.

Are these after-market or from BMW?
    One critical issue usually overlooked in all the discussion about oil change intervals and synthetic oils is the lowly oil filter.

The best thing you can do for your car is to periodically change just the oil filter and then top off the oil reservoir with whatever amount is needed to maintain the proper oil level. The synthetic oil may not have broken down any chemically and may still have its full lubricating and viscosity qualities, but there will be suspended particles resulting from combustion and friction which are trapped in the oil filter.

This is very cheap insurance. If you do it about every 5,000 miles you'll at least be trapping and removing particles. I did this recently with my '98 540i6. Think it cost me $11. Pretty cheap for peace of mind.
    zuba...

1. BMW's official "Original BMW Accessories" catalog has Z3, E39, and E46 aerodynamic kits. The E39 items are shown on pages 10-11. The "Rear Apron" can be purchased individually for $430.00 or as part of the entire Aerodynamic Kit (front, back, and sides) for $1,245.00. There is also a "Deck Spoiler" for $336.00. The "front spoiler" is $410.00. The "side trim" is $465.00. I picked this catalog up at my local BMW dealer in November, 2001.

2. The Bavarian Autosport catalog has a much larger selection of aerodynamic aids for the E39. You can get rear spoilers, rear aprons, rear wings, rear diffusers, etc. You name it, this catalog probably has it.

These are just two quick and readily accessible sources. Both catalogs are free!!! :)
    Good call, Riez. I knew there was something else I wanted to mention, but I forgot; thanks for filling in.
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Also, please tell us what kind or price over invoice you were able to negotiate...
  • cmr530icmr530i Member Posts: 278
    I think I read somewhere in the BMW literature that those channels are removable so that one can have a rack put on the roof such as for skiis.
  • pap5pap5 Member Posts: 144
    cmr530i is correct. There are caps in the channels, near the corners. Insert a coin into the slot in each and pry it open to reveal a threaded receptacle for the roof bars.
  • mcq7159mcq7159 Member Posts: 20
    nyca, et al., sorry to have left out financial info. In summary: 530i 5-speed, premium, cold and xenon. I have decided to buy rather than lease. MSRP for the above configuration: $44,495. My buying price is $42,900 -- a $1,595 discount -- not including, of course, tax, title and registration.

I didn't save my calculations for how much I paid over invoice, but I think the $1,595 discount from list is pretty good as I tried to have three other Connecticut area dealers meet/beat the $42,900 price and not one of them could/would come within $300 of my existing "deal." [I had earnestly hoped they would as two of them are considerably closer when I have to drive to get service.]

As for why no sport package: I test drove both versions and since the rural roads in this corner of Connecticut are in such poor shape, I feared the riding being "too hard." I'm also (perhaps naively) hoping that the all-weather tires will be sufficient with our snow whereas many many posts here said that snow tires were a must with the sports package. That was my reasoning ... plus I was already at/over my budget!

I'm off to pick up my new baby -- the heavy rain and predicted thunderstorms won't be enough to dampen my spirits today! Look for me in the new Blue Water sedan, and thanks again one and all for all your help and guidance here.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Congrats on your car! Glad you got the 5 speed though! Roads in CT in poor shape? Have you crossed over into the NY border lately? CT roads are a dream to drive on. They don't use salt 'cause it isn't envioronemntally friendly (they use sand when it snows). Rain or Shine, enjoy your car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    How does one change the oil filter without losing all the oil? Where is it located on engines that this is possible? I also gather that it can be done on both the 530 and the 540. What am I missing?

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Can't wait - dealer finally got the car yesterday! If the plates get here today, I will be picking up late this evening and officially joining the ranks of E39 owners!!

Btw, Owner's Circle still shows the car at the VPC...
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Thanks for the oil change instructions -- the problem was that I thought from the wording riez used that you'd found a way to change the filter without changing the oil. If so, I was then going to ask why.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • andy1961andy1961 Member Posts: 32
    Check out the Autoweek story about the next gen 5 series. Personally, I'm confused with the need for both the 4.5L V8 and a turbo 6.

http://www.autoweek.com

jwilson1... I'm talking about only changing the oil filter and then re-using the current synthetic engine oil now in the engine. You would top off with new synthetic oil that amount lost during the process as well as that contained in the oil filter.

Even done "do it yourself", couldn't you just drain out all the oil, trapping it in a clean container? Then change the oil filter. Re-add the original oil. Top off with the amount as needed to bring to proper oil fluid level.
    That article raises more questions than it answers. First, it appears the 5-series will offer the following gasoline engines:

-2.0l 4 (520i): ~165hp
    -2.2l 6 (523i): ~185hp
    -2.5l 6 (525i): ~200hp
    -3.0l 6 (530i): ~245hp
    -3.0l 6 twin-turbo (530tti?): 380hp
    -3.6l v8 (535i): 270hp
    -4.5l v8 (545i): 333hp
    -5.5l V10 (M5 and Z8?): 550hp (!)

That's quite a range, which brings us to our first question: which of these will the US get? I doubt we'll get the 520 and 523, but I suspect/hope BMW continues to make the 5-series affordable on the low-end with the 525. And the twin-turbo 6 really throws us a curveball. I've always admired BMW for their smooth, linear, potent naturally-aspirated engines. I guess the turbo's seductiveness has finally caught on in Bavaria, since it will allow for near-M5 performance without the added weight and cost penalties (I'm guessing the 530tti--or whatever they'll call it--will come in under $60k).

I don't think it'll hurt to offer the 4.5l V8 as well, since they already share that engine with different platforms--the 7 series and the X5 SAV--and it'll probably be pitched as a torquier, smoother, more "mature" choice than the twin-turbo 6.

Other questions: Will they use the twin-turbo 6 as well on the next generation M3? Which of these engines will appear on the upcoming 6 series? What will pricing strategy be? When can I have one? etc...
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    Guys - I experienced my "big day" 2 weeks ago when I picked up my 530i - same set up as mcq7159 only sterling on black. I originally couldn't decide between another 3 and the 5...after 2 weeks I have no regrets. (BTW I leased, sale price $1800 over invoice). Its a fantastic car - I'm always looking for a reason to drive somewhere.

As for the snow tires...I bought the TireRack steel wheel & cover set-up for my '99 323i, but the last few winters have been mild here in the Albany, NY area...I almost feel like I wasted the $. I too am thinking about trying to get thru next winter w/o snows (especially since steel wheels/covers are not available for the 530i).

Anyway, congrats again and enjoy!
  • chrism124chrism124 Member Posts: 134
    I have had my 02 530ia for 3 months now. Today was the first time my wife drove my car. I came home from work to learn that she hit the frame of the garage door with the front bumper. Not sure how much $$$ in damage. Hopefully some of it can be buffed out with minimal repainting.

I know it is ‘just’ a car. But this one hurts.

Chris
    Thanks for all the useful oil change info as well as solving the "channel" mystery.

By the way, the top 10 stolen car info (by state or city) I was talking about is in the Cars.com web site under "Top 10s". I think I said the info was somewhere in Edmunds. Sorry!
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    My wife and I just got back from picking up my ED 530i (5-Speed, Xenon, PP, SP, Premium Audio, Black Sapphire, Black Leather) a couple of hours ago. If you are a performance-driving fan, ED is a MUST DO at some point in your life.

I am working on a full write up of the trip (complete with pictures), however here is the “Cliff’s Notes” version:

17-Apr-2002: We landed in Munich a little after 10:00 AM and made it to the ED Center just before noon, traveling via the Munich light rail system (15 Euros covers up to 5 people for 24 hours). After a quick lunch and Vehicle orientation, we were rolling by 2:00 PM, and after a few false starts, managed to find the road we were looking for heading Southwest out of Munich. We booked a room in a fabulous hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, ate in a Bavarian Sytle Gasthaus (sp?), and crashed (we slept 13 hours).

After just a few miles, I can tell you that, while I have always really liked my 1999 328i, it just cannot compare to my new 530i, what a car!

18-Apr-2002: We headed into Austria, heading generally west, hitting Switzerland by late after noon (the Swiss border guards did not like the looks of my tourist plates, so, it took about 15 minutes for them to make sure everything was in order). We then blasted across Switzerland ranging between 60 and 100 MPH the whole way, stopping in Basel for a fabulous dinner, and then pushing on through Mulhouse, France into Belfort, France, where we spent the night in yet another very elegant hotel.

19-Apr-2002: Given that we had Hotel reservations and dinner plans in Paris, we had to push a little, so, we drove as straight a line as possible to Paris, which included about 50% 2-lane roads and 50% MotorWay (France has a speed limit of about 80 MPH), and we averaged well over 70 MPH for the entire day (at least until we got to the outskirts of Paris). On the way, we stopped for lunch in the ancient walled city of Langres, where the Medieval roads made driving the 530i feel like I was driving a Semi with a 53’ trailer!

On to Paris, however, our timing was bad, REAL BAD, we hit the Periferique at about 4:15 PM coming in from the Southeast, and needing to be around on the Northwest side. We finally managed to get to Avenue Foch at about 5:10 and as we had to get to Boulevard Haussmann, we HAD to drive around the Arc De Triomphe at about 5:15, sheer suicide, however, I made it through on the first try without a scratch (I let a tour bus set a BIG pick for me ;-)). We found the Hotel and a SECURE place to park, and had three wonderful days “Doing Paris”.

22-Apr-2002: We headed east out of Paris at about 1:00 PM, running between 65 and 100 MPH most of the way. My wife even took a crack at it during a stretch that had fairly light traffic. She said, “Gee, at 100, I feel like I am doing 55 at home, this car is REAL SMOOTH!”

As I am a former Marine, I just HAD to stop at the “Aisne-Marne American Cemetery and Memorial”, which is located in the Bellau Wood area (near Chateau-Thierry) where nearly 8,000 U.S. Marines died in June of 1918 in a running battle with the Germans to re-take control of the area. I cannot tell you how many times I had to blink back tears just to be able to take some good pictures, what a moving place. This place is so undisturbed, that there is still plenty of evidence of the original trenches, foxholes and shell craters all over the area.

Back on the road, we had lunch in Chateau-Thierry, and then we retraced some of the route that I rode on my Bicycle back in July of 1982 through Verdun, Etain, Spincourt, Longuyon, Longwy and on into Luxembourg, where we spent the night in a very cute little hotel.

23-Apr-2002: We did some sight seeing in Luxembourg until noonish (is that a word?), and then stopped at a fairly good Curry house (the Curry content in my blood was getting a little low ;-)). Early afternoon, we hit the road again with the intent of making it all of the way back to Munich by the evening, which, if you stay on the Autobahn the entire way (we did) is something close to 440 miles. As it turns out, we made it to Munich by 7:00 PM, including numerous stops, heavy traffic and construction.

About 220 miles into the trip, I crossed the 1,200 mile barrier, and needless to say, I just had to open her up. On my speedometer, the “Top-Speed” limiter kicks in at exactly 132.5 MPH, and up to that point, the car was still accelerating very strongly. During the drive, there were literally dozens of times that I accelerated from 60ish to 120ish, given that I was still reluctant to downshift and “Redline” the motor, I would just do it in 5th gear, even still, the power this car has (especially in the 80 to 100 range) is impressive.

In Munich, we attempted to check into the Hotel Uhland, however, because I was unsure which day we would actually arrive in Munich, I did not make a reservation, preferring to trust to my luck instead. My luck held, sort of. The Uhland had just booked its last room an hour before we got there, however, the manager was able to find me a room a few blocks away in the Hotel St. Paul (not quite as nice and about 20 Euros per night more).

24-Apr-2002: We drove the car up to E.H. Harms (the drop off procedure is fairly painless), and took a taxi back into town where we spent the rest of the day shopping and sight seeing. We then arranged for a 5:00 AM wake up call, and a 5:30 taxi pickup, paid for our room, packed and bedded down for the night.

25-Apr-2002: Wake up call, taxi ride, flight to Copenhagen, flight to Newark and Limo ride home all were uneventful.

Now the waiting begins, my 328i gets dropped off next Tuesday, and I am suspecting that my 530i will be here mid to late May, I am like a kid waiting for Christmas, all over again. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    thats a great brief cant wait to see you photos and the full story.

DL
    Congrats, man. Sounds like a great time; be sure to point us towards pictures when you post them. I can't imagine how hard the wait must be now after that tease...
  • tigger33tigger33 Member Posts: 14
    I have decided to take the plunge with a new 530. I really like the Toledo Blue (which is on the dark side, but not as dark as Navy). My sales person suggested the gray leather, but I like black. Any opinions on whether black interior would look strange with the blue exterior? Also, is the upgraded 12 speaker stereo worth the money? What about the comfort seats? Thanks.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I have a Toledo Blue with gray interior. I like the airy feeling the light color gives. The black is nice and it does have that tightly wrapped around feeling. Toledo blue does give out purplish tone, so unless you have seen it in person, I recommend taking a look.

I have the DSP stereo and the comfort seats as well. The stereo is nice, but as everyone says, the bass is a bit on the weak side. However, it seems to depend on the radio stations as well. I get quite strong bass on some stations, and not on the others. Overall, I like it.

The comfort seat is probably only worth it if you take long trips. I would have picked the sports seats had I been in the state, where I do not take trips more than an hours or so. Here in Germany, I drive a bit more and I find it to be VERY comfortable.
  • sanandtonsanandton Member Posts: 342
    I have been a lurker here for several months. I was looking at a 530i, but have just today decided to go with a new Infiniti G35. I felt I should chime in as I just sold a car with black leather and dark trim interior. Have you ever owned black leather? If so, this warning may not be necessary. If you have children and love to keep a clean car reconsider the black interior. It is a bear to keep clean. While it doesn't show stains on carpet etc. the smallest amount of dust, footprints on backs of seats, or any small debris can make it look like you just drove through a sandstorm with all windows open. In short I became a basket case after 2 years of ownership of black interior. Good luck with your choice.
  • jobiejobie Member Posts: 47
    I just turned in a 3 series with black interior - after 3 years it still looked great - just wiped it every once in a while with a damp cloth. For me, most of our family jaunts are in the wife's minivan, but "sanandton" is right about the dirt, dust & footprints showing. IMO, BMW's black interiors look best. Also black interior with dark exterior colors (blue, green, grays, blacks) though unusual, provide a very classy look.
  • 530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    I share your pain. I put a tiny dent on my rocker panel three weeks ago and still kicking myself for that. Unfortunately, it cannot be repaired without filling the dent and repaint and I opted to skip in fear of further damage by the paint shop. I tried paintless dent removal place but they told me there is no access to the rocker panel and cannot be done unless a hole is drilled to provide access. For now I have to look at it everyday.

If there is any consolation, yours can be fixed easily.
  • john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I took the car in to put the summer tires back on (dealer was storing them for me) and also put a new battery compartment cover. The European spec has a little cubby for putting in small things which I like. I also asked them to program the remote to open all windows and the sunroof, but to my surprise it was already enabled. I just had to hold the "unlock" button down. Also found out that if you put the key in the drivers lock and turn to the right and hold, all the windows and the sunroof close.
    sanandton... Wife and I much prefer black leather interior to any lighter alternative. She put 60,000 miles on an Infiniti with a black leather interior. Looked great when traded in. She put 40,000 on a domestic luxury car with a light brown interior. You could see every spill and stain. Always looked terrible.

I'd much rather have to do a bit more vacuuming or wiping downs in a black leather interior than look at permanent stains in a light interior.

jobie... It is easy to quickly make a black interior look great, near new. Try that in a light brown, tan, sand, or grey interior.

We're glad both her silver 323iA and my black 540i6 have black leather interiors. We have kids. Both look great.
    I know you're getting deluged with opinions here, but I figured I'd chime in with my thoughts too. I opted for the Toledo blue and love it--I've heard the "purplish" concerns, but in five months of ownership it's never looked purple to me. And, personally, I found it looks much better with a light interior than a dark one; I chose the sand leather, which really looks great with the wood and gives it a nice airy feeling. As others have suggested, if you have kids and/or track dirt, mud, or sand into the car often, perhaps black would be better. But I'm fairly clean and never eat or drink in the car (and don't have kids), and I use a quality leather cleaner and conditioner (Lexol) to keep it looking (and feeling) new.
    As for the DSP system, bring your favorite CD to your dealer and ask to test drive one car with, and one car without. Decide for yourself, since people's opinions vary widely with this option. And the comfort seats: I'm sure they're nice, but I'd recommend instead the sport package, which elevates this car's handling to near-perfect, without being overly harsh. Again, test drive both. Good luck.
    My 525's configuration is Toledo Blue w/sand interior. For me the blue is very elegant. The contrast with the sand leather is fabulous. IMO, BMW makes the sand look much brighter than other beige leathers I have seen in other cars. It makes a medium-sized car look bigger from the inside.

My other options are Premium, cold weather, xenons and DSP (yes, I felt that the DSP was a good value, especially because it had an upgraded amp, a 5-channel equalizer and 2 extra speakers).

For all the well-wishers, I did not pick up my car yesterday :-( because the DMV did not complete all the paperwork. I am waiting every minute for the dealer to give me the cheery call. Hopefully I'll have the bimmer grin by Monday!