Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Do I Replace Serpentine Belt In My 92 3.1 L V6 4x4 Rodeo?

darth_venomdarth_venom Member Posts: 43
edited June 2014 in Isuzu
I have a 1992 Rodeo 4x4 V6 3.1 L. V6 and need to replace it's serpentine belt. I already have new belt and tried once to release tension but was unsuccessful. Can anyone walk me through this proceedure by telling me what to take loose to release tension on the belt? I can see a tensioner on drivers side of engine but don't have a clue as to how it comes loose. I thought about loosening the alternator because it's easy to get to but thought better about itupon further examination. I'm disabled and live in a rural area so I need my vehicle. Belt on engine now has six to seven inch split in one area of it and want to get to it before it strands me somewhere.
Any help with this will be appreciated.
Thx in advance for your reply

Comments

• Options
    moreruffagemoreruffage Member Posts: 1
    Hey, there's a nut on the tensioner pulley that you can use to relieve the tension. You don't loosen the nut but instead put a socket wrench, either a breaker bar or regular wrench with a cheater bar, because you'll need to get a lot of torque.

Lift the bar counter-clockwise and it will relieve the tension. Get a helper to lift the belt off. Having a helper around to put it back on is probably more important though.
This discussion has been closed.