Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    The Camry is like other front-wheel drive cars, with about 60% of its weight on the front wheels.

I have the Goodyear Integrity OEM tires, and for the few times it snowed here last winter, they were fine.

My gas mileage is fine also, about 23 mpg in our small town, and 35-38 mpg on long trips ('04 LE 4-cylinder automatic).

No rattles, no hesitation either.
  • Options
    tmp89169tmp89169 Member Posts: 9
    My 2 cents on gas mileage. Just purchased 05 camry 4cyl. automatic and now have driven it about 800 miles. Did a check of 200 miles of driving in and around town by dividing miles by gallons of fuel used. 23.8 mpg. Info. display said 28.9.
    Second check was 200 highway miles. Miles divided by gallons gave 38.5. MPG- Info. display said 43 MPG. The difference is 4.5 to 5 MPG . The numbers give clear indication of the problem. Surely toyota can do better than this for accuracy. I am going to find the answer to this question. How is the fuel consumed measured so it can be entered into the computer? Do they use a flow meter device? Do they use manifold vacuum device and convert to fuel used? If anyone has info. on this question please respond. I intend to speak with a toyota mechanic to see if the fuel meter can be re programed or replaced. As is, I call this their feel good meter. tmp89169
  • Options
    18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Local dealers in NW Oregon & SW Washington are advertising (in the papers & on TV) new 05 Camry LE's for $16,800. I'm sure they are base LE's with no additional options, but still, that's a very good price!

:)
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I'm not sure how the mileage calc works for the trip computer. I can tell you that the one on our Highlander is typically only 1 mpg optimistic and has been as close a .5 mpg.
  • Options
    loucapriloucapri Member Posts: 214
    did they say "one only"? @ $16,800

and by the time you get there, they say "just sold", "but we have more but is loaded.

I don't believe you can get a NEW LE for that price.
  • Options
    I never seen any build in display that will able to show a close MPG info.

I once owned a Chrysler Town & Country and I got about 17mpg but the info would tell a different story, same to my BMW.

The best way is to keep record with my pen and checkbook.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Coming next year!
  • Options
    andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    1) My feeling on the Continental tires appears to be pretty much agreed upon if you look back at the posts. My comments were not meant to demean but rather to warn an already concerned new owner as to the dangers (shortcomings at the very least) of the Continentals. I replaced mine with BF GoodRich Traction TAs. I don’t know how they rate; my tire guy recommended them. He said the Continentals were a good QUIET tire and the better foreign car companies like to maintain their ‘quieter than the domestics’ status. He said this particular tire though would be good if you lived in area with very little rain and no snow. I paid about $320 installed, balanced etc. My beef is that Toyota put these tires on the car to begin with. This being my first new Toyota I had high expectations (perhaps too high). Having to spend $300 + less than a year after buying the car did not make me happy---nor many folks on the board. Again, I meant no disrespect, I truly hope he work something out with the dealer. How much were your Perellis, out the door? I'd also like to know what your milage is when you replace them..perhaps they will be my next set. It sounded as though the poster might still be able to work something out with his dealer and the tires...I hope he can.

2) I completely disagree with on the rattles. I still see posts here and there with the exact same complaints on buzzing noises, vibrations and rattles in the SAME locations…dash, seat belt tensioners, along the windshield. I still listen to others tell me how the prior generation never made those noises while waiting for my oil changes or chatting with techs. The only part Toyota has changed in design was the cowl on the windshield and for many it has made little difference. If rattles do not bother you then this is not an issue at all and you likely ignore these posts. If they do, I do not think the Camry is going to knock you socks off. The only real changes may come when the next generation Camry rolls out…lets hope they have heard the complaints and listened.

3) Weight distribution and gas mileage. First let me say that my Camry does not get what was posted on the sticker on the car. I have never seen a car that got the mileage posted. The EPA should be held accountable. Still, mileage can be greatly affected by where and how you drive. Personally I have been pleased with my mileage overall. My 4cylinder automatic is quieter, smoother and faster than my old Ford’s 6 cylinder while at the same time delivering better city / around town mileage. No complaints here. I do question the weight of the car and wonder if the rain/snow issue is not due to the fact that the Camry weighs less overall than the Taurus or Chysler counterpart. I also wonder if the Camry’s weight distribution is the same. Perhaps that is why it gets better mileage but under-performs in the snow and rain. (Speculation on my part but I am curious)

3) I would not consider the Highlander an AWD Camry. Cute comment and I guess it is about the same size inside, lets be honest, it is no car. Great SUV though…my Dad has one. Some of us still prefer to sit low AND save about $7K when we buy our new Toyota!

5) No much happening here on the board….likley because the ‘new’ model has been out for several years and there is nothing new going on. This is GOOD thing. No major complaints, recalls etc etc. The car is selling well. It is what it is and people like it. There will always be 3 types of posters….the Toyota can do wrong posters, the Toyota is no better than anyone else posters….and those in between. I consider myself in the last category….your opinion may differ.
  • Options
    billp8billp8 Member Posts: 56
    ...The Camry (SE V6 or XLE V6) is on the short list of choices for my next car. I would like to get the adjustable pedals, which is likely a special order. Now for the questions: (1) has anyone had particularly good sales and/or service experience in the Washington DC/Northern Virginia area? (2) has anyone heard of any changes for the 2006--particularly if Toyota will offer a "Limited'" or "Collectors" edition prior to the newly-designed 2007 Camry? and (3) if you have the SE or XLE V6, why did you choose that particular model? Sorry for the long post--thanks in advance!
  • Options
    "if you have the SE or XLE V6, why did you choose that particular model?"

I chose the SE vs the XLE for:

1) 3.3 liter V6 only available on SE
    2) slightly better cosmetics on SE (subjective of course)
    3) 17" wheels and slightly sportier suspension tuning
    4) perforated leather seats (not really a factor but a plus IMO)
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ...the Highlander is indeed based on the Camry platform, so it is not a stretch to call it the "real" Camry wagon. Likewise, the Honda Pilot is an Accord platform made to look like an SUV. Personally, I find all of this bemusing, since I think there was and is nothing wrong with a station wagon being a station wagon, but there is this lingering perception among marketing types that Americans won't buy a wagon....whatever....
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Toyota does think the Highlander is the Camry wagon. Unfortunately a real Camry wagon would have just as much room, but would handle better and get better gas mileage.

Unfortunately a cars looks/perception tend to be much more important than what the car can do.

I would love to see a Camry wagon or at least a smaller minivan.
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Didn't Camry used to have a station wagon back in the late 80s and early 90s ?
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Yes, they did.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I think the wagon was discontinued after the 1994 model year. Wasn't a bad looking vehicle either.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I believe that the Camry wagon is still made, and sold in other parts of the world. I'll look on the net, and include a link when I find it.

here's one, appears to be the last generation...(US 1997-2001)
    scroll down link title
  • Options
    philiphili Member Posts: 19
    I just got my 2005 LE automatic. I see it has Goodyear Integrity tires. Reviews here, at TireRack, and elsewhere are almost universally bad.

I'm intrigued by the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred or TripleTred. Someone mentioned they do not meet the speed rating for the car. Is this a problem?
    And any other reason I shouldn't buy the GY Assurance tires to replace the Integreties?
    Thanks.

Phili
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Here's another view of station wagon

link title

Still lookng for an image of the current generation wagon...I just know i've seen it somewhere.

FOUND IT!

Maybe it's fake???

link title
  • Options
    ...and I haven't skidded off the road yet or had any other mishaps after 15K miles, even in wet or snowy weather. ;) But my wife and I drive conservatively.

So maybe you ought to see how they perform for you, before you jump to replace them.

In general, it's not advised to go to a lower speed rating than the OEM tires, but I find it hard to believe the Assurance ComforTred or TripleTred don't have at least the same speed rating.
  • Options
    "the Honda Pilot is an Accord platform made to look like an SUV."

Actually I think the Pilot/MDX are based off the Odyssey minivan platform. They are way, way bigger than the Accord.

The main advantage of the SUV vs the wagon is ride height. After 10 years in a minivan, my wife had to have a high perch. A wagon just wouldn't cut it.
  • Options
    Wow. I didn't know the Camry wagon is still available in other parts of the world. I personally would prefer an AWD Camry wagon over the Highlander.
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    Eagle One Wet Tire Shine
  • Options
    The main advantage of the SUV vs the wagon is ride height. After 10 years in a minivan, my wife had to have a high perch. A wagon just wouldn't cut it.

Have to chuckle a little. I remember when the buzzwords in auto advertising were "longer, lower, and wider." The low-slung '57 Chrysler products made everything before look obsolete overnight. Through the 70s, cars became bigger but lower.

Now people want to ride high again. Maybe we should be driving '48 Chevys!
  • Options
    Wasn't a bad looking vehicle, when you look in the front, but the rear...

It has 2 windshield wiper and it looks bad.

in my opinion, the 2-door camry and the camry wagon (back in 95?) were bad.
  • Options
    The only reason ride height is an issue is because of everybody else driving around in tall vehicles. Kinda like the arms race.

I have no problem seeing out of a nice low Integra, so a Camry is very tall to me.
  • Options
    Well, I guess people driving brand new 1959 cars would have had the same problem, what with so many 1956 and earlier cars still on the road. ;) But that didn't stop sales of the newer models.

Also, it's interesting that many older 2-lane roads were designed with higher lines of sight in mind; so some passing zones became unsafe when cars were built lower to the ground -- you could no longer see over slight rises in the road.
  • Options
    ian721ian721 Member Posts: 93
    Ride height is great until you tip over.
  • Options
    soon2bvolownersoon2bvolowner Member Posts: 3
    Would any of you purchase a new (2005) camry XLE with 400 miles already on it?
    It is what is known as a "dealer swap" and it's the only one they could find in the color I want. Am I being just too much of a stickler to stress about 400 miles on my new car, that I didn't put there??
  • Options
    tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Have found and used two great sales folks and dealers. In Manassas, contact Sam Lee at Miller Toyota, he is a fabulous sales person (polite, responsive, efficient, low key, and very knowledgable) and he provides excellent service and prices. In Maryland, contact Andy Moore at Beltway Toyota. Equally as professional and efficient as Sam and great prices. Bring in any deal and Andy will match it or beat it.

Regarding XLE V6 or SE, it is no question in my mind. the XLE V6 wins by a mile. It has many more features ( auto AC, heated outside mirrors, compass and auto dimming rear view mirror, non perforated leather which looks much nicer and is easer to clean) and it rides better and is actually quieter inside due to extra sound deadening materials. The SE is a fine vehicle too no doubt, but I prefer more comfort, smoother ride, and quietness to the stiffer suspension and darker interior provided by the SE version. I also like the brighter headlighs on the XLE vs the darker version on the SE.

Have you considered the XLE 4 cylinder. It is very smooth, sufficietn and great gas mileage.

Concerning the adjustable pedals, forget it. Toyota does not produce Camry's in this region (Atlantic Region) with this option package and trying to get an allocated vehicle (that Toyota calls a special order, which it really isn't) is virtually impossible and will not avail any deals.

Current Camry's are selling a out $1800 under invoice at Miller and Beltway Toyota, but a special allocation vehicle will be not get you that kind of deal. I should know as I wanted the VSC on a the XLE 4 cylinder, according to Toyota is is a produced option but could not get one in this or adjoining regions. Don't know why Toyota which manufactures great vehicles is so anal about this issue!

Good luck. Camry are great vehicles for the money, so refined and quiet that you will really enjoy it!

Tuffy
  • Options
    tuffytuffy Member Posts: 63
    Yes, the Goodyear tires are way overpriced!!!!!!!! You are paying for all that advertising you see on TV. Get you a set of Yokohama Avid Touring tires for about $50 a tire. I own a set after doing extensive research and they are great! It is the smoothest, quietest, best gripping tire I ever owned with a tread rating of 720. I don't why Toyota doesn't buy them as OEM and scrap the awful Bridgestone Potenzas and almost as bad Continentals and Goodyears. I know the Yokohamas would be much better and probably cheaper.
  • Options
    ...in that they provide their complete inventory on the web listing all options on each car, along with MSRP, and in some case, internet special prices.

So you can't even get VSC on an XLE 4-cylinder, even though it's theoretically available even on the LE model? That makes me feel better because I have an '04 LE 4-cyl., in which VSC wasn't an option at all.
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    If you find a dealer who is willing to work with you, you CAN get a 4 cylinder Camry with VSC. Not all combinations of options are typically available, though, in any given region. I remember a while back reading about someone on this thread who wanted a very specfically configured SE 5A with side curtains and VSC, and was able to order and take delivery of it. Is this person still around? I forget the name.

Going back a few days, there was a question of how much the Pirelli P400 Touring tires we put on our 02 LE cost.... the total for all 4 including mounting and balancing was $378 dollars about 2 years ago, IIRC. Worth every penny. The tires now have 32K on them and have worn incredbily well... no doubt we will see at least 50K, possibly even 60K from these tires, as compared to the 28K we got from the ContiCraps.

~alpha
  • Options
    moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    If I were you, I'd still purchase the Camry even with 400 miles. About 2 years ago, we bought our Ford Explorer with about 200 miles which did kind of drive me nuts since it was supposed to be a "new car", but you'll soon get over it. I'm pretty sure that no one abused it in those miles and I had forgotten about it until you asked. I say go for it if it's a good price. Else, look for another Camry. Is there any specific reason that you're even considering it though (lower price from dealer or has exact options that you want?).
  • Options
    I just bought (leased actually) a new SE with 250 miles on it because it came from a dealer 200+ miles away (same reason-color). Didn't think a thing about it. Your bill of sale will show the mileage at delivery so I'm sure the dealer would add 400 miles to the warranty if you needed work done at say 36,200 miles.
  • Options
    another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Actually, The Odyssey is based on a modified Accord platform, which was modified again for the Pilot/MDX. The Accord platform is like Honda's solution to everything. They also use it in the new Ridgeline.
  • Options
    Wow what a difference !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks Larry. I finally got a chance to try the product you talked about. The AutoZone store is only two miles from my home. So last Saturday I finally had the time to give my car a nice clean and wax job My 03 Camry is glistening. Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I don't know how to post pics :confuse:
  • Options
    phd86phd86 Member Posts: 110
    5. I'm the 4th type of poster; so p-o'd we don't care

3 (4). don't care.

3. every other car I've had got pretty close to EPA mileage except this one; but then, I've never owned an automatic before.

2. there's no such thing as opinions on rattles; either a car rattles or it doesn't. By the way, mine rattles in the dash - began about 2 months after I bought it. its right in the top of the radio console insert. temperature dependent rattle. drives me nutz. has something to do with the fit of the radio.

1. I wonder whether I'll trade it in before I wear out the first set of tires.
  • Options
    EPA favors automatics, so that may explain some of the difference.
  • Options
    I generally get between 20 and 23 in the city and 27 to 30 mpg on the highway. My Camry is a 2003 LE V6. EPA says 21/29 so I get very close to the EPA figure for the most part. A lot of factors play into MPG figures. Maintenance of the car, tire pressure, the kind of gas used, driving habits, traffic situation. The EPA numbers are only an estimate.
  • Options
    bostonarea1bostonarea1 Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a new 2005 Camry LE. I had the remote start and alarm installed by the dealer. I noticed that the front turn signal lights (right and left) are located next to the grill. They operate (blink on and off) correctly when I signal left or right. However, I noticed that the yellow running lights located at the corner of each light assembly do not blink or light during the turn signal activation and they stay continuously lit when the headlights are on even when signaling. Has anyone else with a 2005 Camry noticed this? I think this setup makes for poor signal visibility when changing lanes on the highway
  • Options
    The EPA numbers are just a way to compare the potential gas mileage of different vehicles using an apples-to-apples comparison. They were never intended to predict the the real world mileage. If one gets close to the EPA rating, it's just a happy coincidence. If one doesn't, it just means that person's driving habits/style are significantly different than the EPA driving cycle.
  • Options
    This probably isn't one of Toyota's better ideas, as they revamped the front and rear ends somewhat for 2005. The outboard front lamps are now parking lights only, so they come on with the headlights as is required for all vehicles. The turn signal lamps were added inboard of the headlights, where there were no lamps before.

In 2002-04 models (and for that matter in the previous-generation 1997-2001 models), the outboard lamps were combined parking and turn signal lights (dual-filament bulbs). So when you signaled a turn, the blinking light was visible from the side.
  • Options
    270 miles from odo reading 960 to 1230. 27.5 mpg. Two different traffic jams totalling 45 minutes in which I moved about 12 miles. The rest was at 70-80 mph. I am anticipating another 1 mpg or so when it's more broken in and without the traffic jams so I should be close to the 29 mpg EPA highway rating. I'm satisfied with that. BTW, this was with regular. I will probably try a trip on mid-grade or premium to see if that helps.
  • Options
    soon2bvolownersoon2bvolowner Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for responding. It is coming from a dealer a ways from where I'm buying the car. It is the color I want and has everything I want -- not to mention that I sold my '94 Camry 2 weeks ago and need some wheels.
    So yes, I will get over the 400 mile issue because the sales person did say that the warranty would take the mileage into consideration -- not to mention that the sales person is going to pay me personally for the mileage.
  • Options
    Sorry if you saw this post in the Maint forum but I am quite concerned on this one!

I am in panic mode! I have a 2002 White Camry. I assume it is clearcoated...? For years we have only bought WHITE cars. At times we have suffered with those nasty streaks you tend to only see on white cars. My 1989 Topaz was NOT clearcoated and in addition to the those streaks dirt got in the paint and you would need to compund the car to get it out. In 1996 I got a new Mystique that WAS clearcoated and the problem (sans some easily removed streaks under the outside mirrors) went away. I usually wax my 02 Camry 4 times a year with NuFinish...it always has worked well for me. Well, its spring so it was time for a wax. After washing the car I noticed some streaks and dirt in the paint over most of the car. I started waxing but immediately noticed the NuFinsh shined the car but up close you could see the dirt...like the car had a bad complextion. Scrub as I might I could not get the dirt out. It brought back memories of my old Topaz but that car was NOT clearcoated; I assume the Camry is! (It is kept outdoors but it does not appear the paint is oxidized or anything---unless Toyota paint does not hold up outside - I'd expect it to though after only 3 years)

I went to the auto store and found a Meguiars product called Clean and Wax. It appeared to bejust what I wanted: Safe for clearcoat, Removes swirls, removes dirt, waxes to a gloss shine, may be applied to the entire car at one time - no need for a section at a time, just cover the car and wipe off with a terry towel. Sounded simple enough.

Well I worked the back end of my car first. I started an hour before dusk so I was in the shade and the car cool. I applied the wax and had to rub hard but it appeared to remove the dirt. I ONLY applied it a section at a time even though it said you could coat the whole vehicle at one time. I did the trunk and rear qaurter up to the rear doors. After wiping on and 'cleaning' I applied another coat and wiped off with a clean rag. Up close it looked shiny and clean. At one point I stepped back and almost fainted. The entire rear of the looks like it is covered in some sort of dull haze--in the paint---ie you can not wipe it off, even with a bare finger! From a distance it looks shiny but as you approach at a certain angle it looks like it has been coated with something that does not rub off. Night has fallen and it has started to rain. The water appears to bead. I am afraid of what I may find in the morning! There is a tech number on the wax bottle for whatever good it will do.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I am really scared I will not be able to get this junk off? Should I use my trusty old NuFinish over it? It just seams as though there is a coating of something on my car that should come off first!

HELP PLEASE!

Thanks!
  • Options
    larryt22larryt22 Member Posts: 125
    I would try a product that has a clay bar. The clay bar will pickup dirt and impurities on the paint. If that does not cure the problem, look in the yellow pages for a detail shop and seek their advise. Please post your results.
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    We owned a white Matrix (alpine white, paint code 040) for 2 1/2 years. I also have used NuFinish for years on the many different vehicles we have owned. Waxed twice a year (in the sping and fall). It was our fourth white vehicle (3 of them Toyota's). I never experienced the streaking that you are referring to. All our vehicles looked great after the Nufinish "waxing". Tried Meguiars once. It was OK. It left a film on a black RAV we use to own. Second application was better, but the protection didn't last (about 3 weeks). The film never seem to go away. Gave the Meguiars away and went back to Nufinish. The RAV looked great again (no film).

Your problem may be a bit more complex. I agree with the previous poster, take it to a professional detailing or paint shop for an opinion. Nufinish is not a cleaner. It will protect and should have against the streaking you have encountered. I assume it was applied as per the directions on the bottle. Once a year (a second for added protection after 30 days) with a clean, damp, soft cloth. Ironically, I just Nufinished my 2002 silver Camry. Looks good. Good Luck.
  • Options
    18fan18fan Member Posts: 129
    Loucapri: No, they didn't say "one only". In fact, they made a point of saying "We have plenty of Camry LE's for *everyone* at this price."

Jbollt: I *REALLY* like the looks of that new Camry wagon! (I'm assuming it's an 05... it has the 05 grill.) I would DEFINITELY buy one of those!!
  • Options
    carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    I just recently waxed my 98 Camry, just wondering will the wax be "clean" off if i take it to the touchless gas-station carwash (with soap)?
  • Options
    We had a rain storm that night. When I got up in the morning the haze appeared to be gone for the most part. I used my old NuFinsish over it and it is shiny again. Unfortunately NUFinish won't get the dirt out so I may just need to use the Ceaner Wax, then wash the car then apply NuFinish.

Thanks to all for your comments.