Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    truckdude1truckdude1 Member Posts: 88
    Anybody in here with a 97' or newer camry with more than 80,000 miles?? How smooth does the transmission shift and how quite is the engine idle? We realize we want a 97 or newer CAMRY only with automatic and air at least with or for 10k or less.Please help.
    Truckude-
  • Options
    scoochiroscoochiro Member Posts: 12
    The chief reason I've never posted here is because my wife's '96 Camry LE (85k mi.) has been flawless since day one.

Now I have a problem, though. The clear coat on the roof of the car has started to peel back at several different locations. Each site is about two inches long by about a half inch wide, oriented parallel with the length of the car.

I have maintained this car's finish well. I have used Meguiar's waxes and cleaners frequently. I always hand wash -- no machines (except two or three times a year in the dead of winter). I am careful with the finish in part because the car is generally NOT garaged (though I wish it were).

So, why is this happening? The rest of the paint is fine.

Anyone have any advice? I don't see that there will be any localized fix; I'm mostly interested in a diagnosis and a determination of what help, if any, I can hope for/demand from Toyota on a repaint.

It's a burgundy red, for what that's worth.

Thanks for any help.

Ken
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I have a 97 V6 with around 100K on the odo. Pretty decent car for the most part. Everything runs and works fine. The V6 is very smooth and quiet, have to look at the tach to know it's idling. Big thing to check is the strut mounts as they will rattle and should be replaced. Ours started around 30K miles, but didn't get it to the dealer until after the warranty and they wouldn't switch them for free. So the car still rattles like an old truck over bumps. An employee drives it so I don't really care. This car has quite a few other rattles, one in the dash behind the glove box and one in driver door. Nothing like my rock solid prior models. If I were shopping for a used Camry, I'd look for a super low mileage 96. Can't think of many reasons for the 97 and newer thing, but whatever you want.
  • Options
    wenyuewenyue Member Posts: 558
    Thanks for the Camry price info. Yes, we finally figured out that the Edmunds's invoice is the dealer base model price + Holdback + finanical reserve. When you add these three things together, you get the exact invoice price as the one Edmund's give out. Glad to have that little question answered. So the dealer was being honest, and was a straight shooter.

If anyone in SE Michigan, looking for a good Toyota dealer, talk to Larry Cutler at Rinke Toyota. He will give you the no-B.S, straight to the point deal.
  • Options
    heatmiser1heatmiser1 Member Posts: 122
    Don't you mean minus "holdback" for the listed Edmunds invoice cost? I am assuming you are talking about dealer holdback which is a profit for the dealer from the manufacturer. It should not be "added" to an invoice but rather deducted...
  • Options
    suzzannsuzzann Member Posts: 56
    Holdback doesn't mean a thing if the market value of a car is greater than the invoice, as is the case with a Camry. I just helped a girlfriend get one in New Jersey for $500 over the invoice posted on Priceline, which includes advertising. The best she did on her own was $800 over invoice.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    before getting so much confused !! :-))

Yes Edmunds invoice is the "final" invoice...
  • Options
    billfunk35billfunk35 Member Posts: 1
    My 19991 Toyota Camry with 110k has a damp weather/humidity problem. It will crank easily, run fine for about one mile, then the engine either stumbles or stalls completely. Usually when stopped, engine will die. This problem seems to occur during rainy weather or high humidity conditions. Any suggestions on what the culprit might be?? My local mechanics are baffled, when I take the car to them, it runs fine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Sounds like the problem I had with my 1975 Honda Civic. But that thing had carburetors and a manual choke.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I have the same color 92 Camry and my paint job is shot. I also used carnauba waxes by Mequiar's and Mother's. My trouble spots are in the roof and around the back windows on the pillar. I think they might have been caused by the winter applications. Most waxes and cleaners have to be applied when the temperature is in the low 70's minimum. I have seen other Camrys in that color and have asked owners about them and seems that they were either garaged and/or never waxed in the winter time. I used to wax our camry at least once a month. FWIW, Toyota motor sales will do nothing about the paint. That is not covered by the warranty. If you had bought the Auto Armor paint sealant you would have been covered for 5 years and gotten a free paint job. I didn't but it wouldn't have mattered anyway as our car is 9 years old and the problem started showing up about 2 years ago.

: (

Mackabee
  • Options
    hfriedmanhfriedman Member Posts: 5
    I had the same problem with my 1987 Camry. Kept taking it to the garage and it would run fine, til finally I had to have it towed in! The mechanic replaced the spark wires and it runs well most of the time now, but on occasion in damp weather, still gives me fits. The dealer said it could be a slight crack in the distributor cap that lets in moisture when it rains.
  • Options
    tortugatortuga Member Posts: 1
    My 1991 Camry began lurching severely and stalling in wet weather when it had about 110,000 miles on it. The Toyota dealer I took it to replaced the ignition coil, and the problem disappeared.
  • Options
    found in the 88-92 Camrys. I have seen my 3 friends do it for their camrys (NOt bad after 100K miles actually)

MSN Carpoint also has ignition coil as the most frequent problem for camry
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I've put a link to this just published article in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page. Aimed squarely at the Accord, the Camry debuted in 1983. Check out the story!

This is one in a series of articles on Edmunds.com in a new category "Generations" under Reviews. You can check out other histories here.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    .......but I'm here to announce the new Toyota Camry Owners club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • Options
    dmrasdmras Member Posts: 4
    1994 Camry LE 4 cyl- Just past 160,000 miles Thought I would share. Car still looks great inside and out. I wax it and detail it 3 times a year. Sure the driven seat cloth is worn but hey after 160K.

I have always followed my own maintenance schedule(Toyota Dealerships):
    -oil/filter change every 3k when new now about every 4K.
    -Spark Plugs/Wires Distributor every 50K
    -Timing belt and belts at 60K
    -Battery at 5 years needed or not
    - Transmission service at 50K Should do more like 30K
    -AntiFreeze at 50K

Other than brakes, Tires, thermostat etc.. the only repairs/failures have been (all at Toyota Dealership):

-Water Pump at 90K
    -Engine Mounts at 140K
    -Front Left ABS sensor at 120K decided not to replace.
    -Power Radio Antennae broke at 155K not replaced
    -LCD Light on radio 130K not replaced

In the past month I was having a problem with the transmission. It was upshifting great but at sometimes the downshifting or reengaging after coasting it would bounce.

I took it to one Toyota and they didn't even recognize the problem. I then called a long time Toyota mechanic that left the Toyota Dealership near my house for another dealership 30 miles away. He came over my house and said it probably is just age related and that a this paper thin sheet toyota uses to smooth out shifting is probably wearing. But he suggested a power flush just ot make sure.

Well since he is the mechanic I trust I took a day off of work and went to him. He used quarts of transmission fluid, detergent and power flushed it. He did find some brass and chrome type filings but overall the transmission is in great shape.

It now shift like new although there is still a little slippage when reengaging after coasting.

Overall the car has been great. It has its creaks but it is trouble free.

One footnote - I put Michelin Xone's on and the they are great tires. Handling, noise and ride. Wet and dry. Waiting to see how they do in the snow.
  • Options
    stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    I doubt that people in their 30s and 20s care for that spoiler. It looks silly on a family car like the Camry, IMHO.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    Several hundred messages ago, someone started talking about this. You can NOT expect the same torque out of smaller dispalecment engine. Up to 10 years ago, finding a V-6 engine in a Japanese car was an unusual thing. These days, it is a nesessity.

I am sure GM 3800 V-6 engine is an excellent engine, but when it sits in soft and floaty (and later on rattely/squeaky) Buick Regal, it is not as good as Toyota's V-6 sitting in a Camry. I get about 29-32 with premuim gas doing about 70-75 on highway. I do use premuim gas all the time, but I have used 87 or 89 octance before. the engine ran fine with no knock. Since the owner's manual says to use premuim, I will use 91-93 Octane gas. I doubt very much the 3800 engine gets better gas mileage than my Camry's V-6 when driven the same way.

I just bought a 92 BMW 325i 5 speed with 87K miles. the difference between Camry V-6 and this car's 2.5L L-6 is like night and day. Both are great cars with totally different ride and handling. Switching between the cars is quite an interesting experience.

In my opinion, 92-96 Camry V-6's are some of the finest cars out there. If you can find a clean one, and it is for sale, grab it.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    It's great for backing into tight parking spots.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    raybear hit the nail on the head! And it does make the rear end of the Camry looks a little more interesting when viewed directly from the rear. When viewed from any other angle it looks out-of-place.
  • Options
    camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    How do i no if my 1999 Toyota Camry le v6 with is(fully loaded) which i bought sevral months ago from budget has keyless entry?. Maybe when i bought the car they didnt recieve the remotes but it has the receiver? Any help is great.
  • Options
    Take the car to a Toyota dealer and have them put the vin# into the TDN computer and do an inquiry on it. It should list all the standard equipment and options on the car.

: )

Mackabee
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    I bought a used 2000 Camry LE (4 cyl) recently also without the remotes, but did my research prior to the deal. I determined that (at least in the 2000 year models..not sure about 1999s) because the car had a power driver's seat, which was only available in a "value package," it had to have the remote keyless entry system as well. You see, the value package also included the remote keyless entry system. During my negotiations I asked my dealer (not a Toyota dealer, but a Lexus dealer)to include the two working remotes in the deal, and they agreed. They soon found out that they are not cheap..about $128 each, and need to be somehow programed to work with the specific car. Calling Toyota was not very helpful to me in finding out how to program them, getting different answers from zone office and dealers about what it took, so I was glad that I had the selling dealer commited to making it work for me. I was told several different things even as far as "the main computer in the car needs to be changed for the remotes to work." I don't know what they ended up doing, but I have two working remotes now. Also, the Lexus dealer tried to get out of it, by telling me the car didn't come with the remote system. They had put the VIN into the computer as mentioned in the post above, but I knew that it is not listed as a specific option, but only as part of the value package, so they were stuck on their commitment to me.

Good luck on this and let us know what you end up doing. BTW, I had a keyless remote added to my Toyota Tacoma recently from Circuit City for about $165.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    A few questions...on other models as this is the only place I see your posts. Will we be getting the Japanese or European Corolla for 2003? The last generation Celica had several different tail styles. The convertible had a different back than the hatchback. However, I noticed that some nonconvertibles had the convertible back. What determined this?
  • Options
    camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I guess i have to take my car to the dealership and ask.When i was in the process of buying the car I asked them if the car is equipted with key less entry and they said"um i dont think so"I bought the car from budget car sales.My car does have power drivers seat and its fullly loaded and the car still has warrenty.So i hope its equipted with keyless entry.
  • Options
    jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    You can call Toyota Customer Assistance Center((800) 331-4331) with your Vehicle Identification Number, and they should be able to tell you what options your car has. Be sure to ask about the contents of any value packages, as this is likely where the keyless entry would be. Based on the fact that your car has the power seat, it would seem that your car was probably built with the keyless entry system as well. But as I said, I am not 100% sure on the 99 models, as they often change the value packages from year to year. Good luck, and I hope I have helped.
  • Options
    the 99 Camry Value package did not have the keyless entry. I will check my source book on Monday and let you know for sure.

Mackabee
  • Options
    I don't know for sure, on the Corolla. The preview clip I saw at the Camry ride and drive was so short and didn't really give me a good look at the car. It looked a lot like the Civic 4 door to me. We will know for sure in another month when we start receiving sneak previews of the car. We are already ordering the 2003's no prices yet just option packages and stuff. Looks like the same trim level designations will be kept for the new model i.e CE, S, and LE.

I will keep you posted as I find out more!

Mackabee
  • Options
    jkgoldjkgold Member Posts: 1
    I've been trying to buy a 2002 Camry LE with side air bags, but thus far have failed MISERABLY. The Toyota brochure says that side air bags are available as an option in the 2002 Camry LE. At first, dealers in my area kept telling me that "this region doesn't provide LEs with side air bags" (whatever that means) and that they couldn't tell me if there was a region that does. Then I found a few who said they might be able to "special order" what I wanted although they were rather vague on how this would work; others said that those dealers were lying. I contacted Toyota customer service with my question but they were useless and FRUSTRATING (they offered to put me in contact with a dealer in my area, as though I couldn't manage to contact a dealer myself). Bottom line: is there a way to get the car I want? If not, then Toyota's representations are deceptive. If so, HOW?????? Thank you in advance for your help
  • Options
    I'm glad they are keeping the Corolla S. My mom who works for TMMNA says there is going to be a higher than usual demand for the new Corolla. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Japanese one.
  • Options
    yrmac2002yrmac2002 Member Posts: 1
    kethw,

Thanks for the nice summary of all the noises. I have been driving my 2002 XLE V6 Camry for about 3 weeks now and have noticed the a "tick" sound coming from under the hood only first time I shift in the morning. I also hear the "thud" somewhere in the back, generally when I start moving (after the car has been parked for sometime); but only once during the ride. These two noises did not bother me as I read in the manual that this is suppose to be normal. I am not much of a race driver, but I have noticed delayed shift from second to third speed on ocasions.

On the positive side, I do not get the dashboard noise. The car ride is very soft and I am very happy with the car's performance.

Good luck
  • Options
    mikesimmonsmikesimmons Member Posts: 11
    The Japanese cars are sometimes frustrating difficult to have optioned they way you want. At least Toyota makes it look like you can get what you want. Try to option Nissan Maxima! I live in Florida and would have to buy heated seats and a sun roof just to get the safety options I want!

To answer your question, I recommend Carsdirect.com. You can configure a car on line and the price is calculated as you change options. The car is delivered through a local dealer (possibly the one who can't figure out how to do it himself).

Take a look at www.carsdirect.com.
  • Options
    luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    Hi, I just took delivery of my 2002 LE V6 last week, and I was wondering how you determine when your car is "warm" and ready to go. It's cold up here in winter and I know that you have to warm up your car, but I've heard different ways to tell (e.g. 5 minutes, when the engine is running idle at <1000 rpm, etc) when it's good to go. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    I hope that's the one we get. When is it released? With the Vibe and Matrix?
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am writing to your question about warming up a car. Most experts do not recommend that you start the engine and let it idle for a few minutes. This is what I do and experts recommend: Start the engine and drive away but very gently and slowly for the first few miles (Approx. 5 miles). After approx. 5 miles the engine temperature gauge will be in the normal range and then you can drive normally. The colder the outside temperature, the longer it will take to get to the normal temperature range. This method is easy on the engine and other vehicle parts. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your response, but my problem is that my whole trip to school is about that distance (~10-12km) and I got at varying speeds so I'm not sure what you mean by gentle... I thought it was bad on your engine to immediately take off after you start it when it's like -20 outside
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Mike Simmons:It's very difficult to come across a LE with those options. Here in NYC,Nj and CT you can't find one. Ihave seen a couple of Xle with them but they were running around $24G.for an XLE 4 cyl Le.I saw one LE with it and The Dealer Manhattan Toyota said it took them 6 weeks to locate one(Swap)with another dealer and that's way back in Sept.I believe the problem is with Corporate Toyota. They options are so high priced that if they load the car up, it competes with their higher end and next model line.I had read earlier in Sept that Toyota was dead set on getting that car under $20,000(base Price)plus options. If you look at the msrp you will see the price begins at $19,800 plus add ons.
  • Options
    January (hopefully) or February. I need a car...I'm looking at Matrix and Corolla. One reason I think it might be the Japanese is because its headlamp resembles the Matrix's.
  • Options
    In that case, I'd probably let it warm up for a minute or so. Granted it's not as good on a car to idle, but IMHO it's worse to drive it and have it never reach operating temperature. The condensation in the exhaust will never evaporate and will rust it out earlier. I know people that always idle their cars for 5-10 minutes just so they don't drive a cold car and they run them well into the 100's of thousands without problems. I don't give it much thought really. Do what you want.
  • Options
    The new Corolla will be out in February along with the new Matrix. Our ride and drive has already been scheduled for both cars. The Camry Le with side airbags/curtain airbags can be had. The option code is BE and it includes side airbags and curtain airbags. You should be able to find one in Delaware or New Jersey. They are part of the Central Atlantic district and here in Va I've delivered a few with that option. The best buy is the one with the AB,GJ,BE, options which gives you abs, moonroof/sunshade and six disc in dash changer and the side/curtain airbags. MSRP is around $23,329.00

Mackabee
  • Options
    Will the new(2003) Corolla be out this coming February (2002)? Were there pictures of it posted here earlier? Thanks.
  • Options
    According to the January 2002 issue of "Consumer Reports" magazine the Volkswagon Passat and the new Camry were virtually identical in their overall tests. The Passat came out slightly ahead of the Camry primarily because of slightly better fit-and-finish and better front-seat comfort. The Camry was better in the transmission (smoothness) and driver controls and displays. The Accord EX and the Nissan Altima 2.5 S were third and fourth respectively. Too much wind and road noise and some cheap interior plastics hurt the Altima. All four are recommended vehicles and scores between the top and bottom were close. Only the four cylinder engines were tested.
  • Options
    with CD, Sunroof, Keyless, ABS, Alloys, Tutone paint (Gold), Leather Steering wheel & Shoft Knowb, Automatic Trans. It has 19000 miles. Very good condition (has Michellins on it) Asking price is 14500....What do you guys think ??
  • Options
    alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    That's a very fair price, I wouldnt call it a steal, but good nonetheless, if he/she can live with the two-tone paint. At least it doesnt have those horrid fake-gold plated emblems! Whats also good is that that particular Camry he's looking at has some of the original 5yr/60K warranty for powertrain left.... but I'm not sure if it carries over to a second owner? Is he/she buying from a dealer or independent?
    ~alpha
  • Options
    Toyota warranty follows car regardless of owner.
  • Options
    jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    After checking out new Camry's build quality for about 2 hours in the showroom several weeks ago, I had a chance to drive a SE the other day.

Toyota has done an outstanding job of making this new Camry. I was disappointed at 97-01 generation, as they were not built as good as the older 92-96 models.

The car felt very solid and roomy. Fit and finish was quite good. The 4 cylinder auto was quiet and smooth even when pushed to 70-75MPH. It did not have get up and go of the V-6, but it was acceptable.

My complaints are: Number#1:gages; The temp and gas gages are too small and are cramped into tach and speedometer. Toyota could have used slightly more spread out design. Number #2: the other problem I feel is the shape of the hood, that has that crease/curve that reminds of previous level Altima. Number#3; Spoiler. I much rather pay Toyota not to put it on! It cheapens the car. No four door sedan needs a spoiler. Spoilers look good on BMW M3's and Porsche 911 Turbo's.

After driving both Altima 2.5S and this 2.4SE, I should say Camry is a better car than Altima. When considering resale value, Altima will never match Camry's reputation in reliability and resale value, no matter how sporty or aggressive looking Altima is.
  • Options
    parumpparump Member Posts: 65
    In California, we are required to attach the front license plate to the bumper. I went to the local service department and was told that self tapping screws are not required. Evidently, there are "punch outs" that will accommodate non - self threading screws. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    carczarcarczar Member Posts: 23
    Is there a college grad rebate of $400 for Toyotas? A dealer in Chicago told me there is, while another dealer in the Milwaukee area was skeptical.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    The program may be different in different regions but in the southeast the program has the following rules. (1) graduated or will graduate in next six months (2) Letterhead from employer of job in field you graduated in and income and start date (3) proof of insurability (4) no adverse credit. We do a lot of these because of the University of Alabama being right here with us and it is good on all new untitled vehicles. You must go through southeast Toyota finance (world omni) and it must be applied to the vehicle and not used as cash back.
  • Options
    autoreporterautoreporter Member Posts: 8
    I'm a repoter working on a story about the shift in sales from domestic automakers to Asian-based. I'm looking for someone who just bought their first Toyota after owning GM, Ford or Chrysler vehicles in the past. Thanks. You can reach me at userf@cris.com.