Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Xenons are no big deal? Drive a car one night with them and then tell me that...

Indie suspension is no big deal. Okay, that's why you're not going to find a single sports car with a solid beam rear axle. Who still uses that? VW, Ford on some models of mustang and Chevy's now defunct F-body. That's it. Even the blasted Explorer and Expedition have IRS. Again, just like the Xenons take one out for a REAL drive (ie two to three times the legal limit) and tell me the indie suspension is overrated or doesn't make a difference...it gives you a smoother ride, better handling and much better at-the-limit control.

4 years of FREE scheduled maintenance on the entire car. You only have to pay for tires and brakes (if you go through them) over the course of 4yrs/50k miles. and yes it's transferable upon sale.

The true sports package on the A4 lowers the car (lower center of gravity = better handling) and supplies wider tires (235 v. VW's 225s). Of course mixed with the superior indie suspension you get a smoother riding, better handling car.

Go drive one. You'll there's a quantum leap from a VW to an Audi. curiously though, VW doesn't see many people switch up to the Audi brand. Personally, I think it comes from VW buyers perceiving their brand to be almost as good and therefore not willing to fork over 5k more for a better car.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I thought about the free service when I looked for a car. I didn't like the 2001 A4 though, and didn't know about the 2002 (new) A4 coming out. I am happy with what I have though.

And I drove a 2002 Maxima with the Xenons, where they are standard equipment, not a $500+ option. They are nice lights, but I hate having everything lit up in blue in front of the car. And those lights also blind oncoming drivers as well.

The Audi is a very nice car though, BTW, Edmunds themselves said about the difference between the A4 and Jetta, that was not my saying.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Indie suspension - I think you own a Honda Civic or something, you therefore don't appreciate the value of an independent rear suspension ;) But we shouldn't bring that kind of stuff up here, right?

As for true sport packages, I wholeheartedly agree, I test drove cars with a friend, and the sportiest (sport package, no luxury package) Jetta with the 1.8T was a wallowing whale compared to the base, non-sport Audi A4. The sport A4 was a dream! This person ended up buying a base A4 (non sport) with CVT, because it represented the best compromise to him! Ride a Jetta and an A4 back to back, it isn't funny what different animals these two are in the twisties! Where the A4 fels perfectly dialled in with BMW-like steering and handling, the Jetta provides uncomfortable amounts of body roll (particularly for passengers in the seats-on-stilts high up in the back of your Jettas ;) )

And oh - don't even begin to compare the Passat to the A4. While its sportier than the boring Accord or Camry (but still no match for the Altima or upcoming Mazda 6), that is still a mid-sized, heavy sedan, and does not have the road manners of the A4 (or the Jetta, even!)

I couldn't care less for Xenons, but given the choice, would prefer to have them for the improved range and brightness.

The 4 year maintenance is a huge plus, especially given that it will be at a classy Audi dealership service bay, not the mean, snide and unhelpful (anecdotal, don't kill the messenger!) VW service departments.
  • Options
    saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Member Posts: 134
    After days of looking and drooling, I drove the restyled Jetta today for the first time and it is yards above the pre 1998 Jetta imo. The seats were firm, the ride was well controlled, the stick shift was more precise than I had heard.. and the power from the 115hp 4 wasn't too bad..

I was fairly impressed but, couldn't let the saleman know everything I was thinking.. The interior materials seemed good overall, except maybe the hard plastic on the dash (which I can get used to). Question, What would be a good price on a 2003 Jetta GL 5 speed? ? The msrp is around 17400 now, btw, for those that were wondering , I am a guy.. ; )
  • Options
    anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    I know how an independent suspension is good. I was just surprised to find the VW doesn't have one (right?). I thought most cars aspiring to sportiness had one. I don't think it is absolutely necessary for sportiness, and VW used to win quite a few SCCA races with the rabbit/golf.

I used to have a Civic which had independent front and rear suspensions (I think), and now have a Jeep Wrangler which has solid front and rear, and for good reasons.

I really don't care for the blue light specials, and it is probably a fad which will go away anyhow. Besides, I disagree with the cost, or rather, it disagrees with me.

When the time comes to replace the 1996 Jetta, maybe in another two years or so, we will look at another Jetta, but I doubt it. Most likely will look at a Grand Cherokee or Trooper.
  • Options
    ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    Just curious if there are any rumors...
  • Options
    hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    There is no way on earth I would pay that extra money for the Audi...

So brighter lights, slightly better handling and free oil changes is worth $7k more for comparable equipment , NOT

You probably have 5% of the population that would go for that, hence the VWs sales vs the Audi's. Comparable vehicle + prestige = Audi cost justification
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I just bought a '02 Jetta GL 5 Speed back in May and love it. You should be able to get a 2002 for around $15,500. Dealers are sure to want to get these off the lots. I do know that the new '03 Jetta GLs come standard with power windows, mirrors and the option of the Monsoon stereo(which I actually have in my GL somehow). Also, you can get the 1.8t in the base GL. If you are looking at price, I would go with the '02, because you should be able to get a good deal. If you are willing to pay a little more, the '03 with more standard equipment may be worth a look. The 2.0 gets ragged on in this thread but I really do like mine and it has not drank an ounce of oil in over 3200 miles.

BTW.....I'm a guy too!!

One more thing...are ypou looking into buying or leasing? I got a tremendous deal on a lease. VERY LOW PAYMENTS. If oyu want more info just let me know.

What hard plastic are you talking about?
  • Options
    donnabgooddonnabgood Member Posts: 37
    a good deal but no one puts the price they paid for their car.. why not just write it down, if you leased ot bought and what your payments are, pay off, how much down, how long etc...If you feel it is no one's business that is fine too..just think it would be helpful for all if real numbers were discussed instead of "1000 below invoice", etc..
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "BTW, Edmunds themselves said about the difference between the A4 and Jetta, that was not my saying."

Didn't you say that you agreed with Edmunds with regards to the Jetta vs. A4 just a couple posts above (post 7392)? Sooo...it might as well have been your saying it. BTW, when are you getting your RSX?

"Indie suspension - I think you own a Honda Civic or something, you therefore don't appreciate the value of an independent rear suspension"

The Civic does have a independent rear suspension and has had one for quite some time. The latest generation Civic did change from a wishbone type setup to strut in the back though. Maybe that's what you were thinking about?
  • Options
    You don't miss anything, do you? :) I am not getting an RS-X, I did flirt with the idea though. Not practical enough for me. And no Honda is going to make me as happy (mostly) as my VW does. Not if it looks anything like the Civic inside, anyway...
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Yes, I have B-G Pearl... I love the color. I have received many, many compliments on it. 1 coworker got a White Jetta 2.0, but really wanted BG Pearl. He actually asked me if it was ok if he got the same color. I told him that I was not a chick and would have no problem with it. His wife and daughter I think had the final decision.
    The paint still beads water to a degree. I took delivery in Feb 01. I have not put anything on the paint. Sand and pebbles from ice storms and poorly covered dump trucks are an issue so I have to do a touch-up inspection every 6 mos. The clearcoat does a pretty decent job of keeping stone chips from getting down to the actual color coat. I don't want a bra for it. Windshield has taken a slight beating though with many tiny pits.
    For the friend that thinks that BG-Pearl looks like baby whatever, it's ok, they do make more than one color available for your preference.
  • Options
    balticjetta18tbalticjetta18t Member Posts: 146
    Of course the A4 is a more refined automobile. The original article saying to Fahgetabout the A4 and get a luxury loaded Jetta GLX or GLS with Lux Sport and Leather 1.8T is only giving us eyesight for a poor man's Audi with the same basic motor. I myself would bump up into an A4 rather than paying 27k for a GLX Jetta. Or I would rather get into a Passat with the 30V V6. It is all relative to each of our own values and what we want and are willing to pay for. AND, yes, we all have an opinion that can be expressed openly which is welcome here...
  • Options
    fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I have actually posted all my specifics when it comes to cost:

Monthly payment: $187.00 (includes tax)

36 month lease, $1000 down which included first month payment, etc....
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    The change in the Civic suspension was the switch to struts in the front, not the rear. It allow allowed for better packaging of the steering rack.

I get compliments about how my car handles from WRX owners if that's saying something....and it's with 15" rims.

The sports suspension package adds really the VW/Eibach springs which do lower the car slightly.
  • Options
    target3target3 Member Posts: 155
    you can take the money you saved and buy a nice Swiss watch!
  • Options
    afryarafryar Member Posts: 50
    Speaking of suspension.... Are there any distinguishing characteristics under the hood that let you know you have the sport suspension vs. standard suspension? Anything to look for?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    chmeeeechmeeee Member Posts: 327
    The sport suspension option from the factory is NOT the Eibach setup, which lowers the car over an inch. The ride height does not change, it just has stiffer springs. I am thinking of getting the Eibach setup myself, but if I do I am going to get new shocks as well, which should make the car fantastic in the corners! (well, that and hopefully 17" wheels :)
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    i guess an independent suspension looks great on paper, but in the real world, why pay more? i had two Civics and an Integra with double WISHBONE independent suspensions. big whoop. no other car has the luxurious yet taut ride that my old technology jetta has. its all about how it is "tuned" i guess.

the A4 is nice. it is a VW product, after all! i love the way it looks. haven't driven a new one yet. the older ones were fun, but in the shop all of the time from what my two friends said.
  • Options
    shawnmaloneshawnmalone Member Posts: 71
    Summer of 1999, I went to the dealership to drive the Audi A4 and I loved it. With the 1.8T motor, five-speed, sport package, leather seats, dealer came down to $28,000 or so.

Trouble was, I needed two cars, one for me and one for my wife. I drove the Jetta (with the five-speed and the two-liter 4cyl) and found that, for the money, it was a comparable car with respect to driving fun. So I bought two of them (for between 16 and 17 thousand dollars each, I think, GLS).

Been very happy with them. Lucky, I guess, with respect to reliability, since I read quite a few posts from owners who've had problems. But with 50,000 miles on one car, and 33,000 on the other, reliability and repair costs have been only what I expected.
  • Options
    nhjettaglxnhjettaglx Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone!

After 12 years or so of driving Hondas and a few other makes (Saturn, Volvo), I just purchased a 2002 Jetta GLX (VR6-200hp) w/Tiptronic. After 1 week of ownership, I can honestly say I've never enjoyed a car so much! I traded in a 2001 Volvo V70 (too many reasons to list on that one :)) and I can't believe the contrast in ride, handling and power. The GLX is everything I hoped it would be - now I know why VW owners are so passionate about their rides!

Anyway - here's the details on the purchase : $21,900 (yep - $5500 off sticker) - financed over 5 years minus the trade allowance on the Volvo comes out to a very reasonable $360/mo, a substantial savings over the Volvo.

My *only* reservation about this car from the get-go has been the unknown of reliability, since I've been a Honda driver for so many years. All my research showed that VW has come a long way in quality over the last 5-10 years, and I should expect many years of trouble-free driving. Any other GLX or older VR6 owners care to comment?
  • Options
    8u6hfd--You're right about the struts in the front of the Civic. I knew that too, I don't know what I was thinking.

Justin--"i guess an independent suspension looks great on paper, but in the real world, why pay more?"

You don't have to pay more to get an independent rear suspension. Just don't get a Jetta or a Sentra. Arguing that there is no difference between the two suspension designs is plain ridiculous. All other things being equal, if your Jetta had IRS, it would ride better and handle better guaranteed. You don't have to believe me, but that's just the way it is. That's a fact, not an opinion.
  • Options
    at least this argument hasn't broken down into SLA (double wishbone) suspension versus MacPherson Struts suspension yet. (I've noticed, it's usually a Honda fanatic tactic)
  • Options
    Actually, it's not fact. It's something that's not proven, since the Jetta doesn't come with IRS.
  • Options
    I've heard from the grapevine the A5 platform will get IRS
  • Options
    What is the big deal about IRS? I don't get it. The totally new Corolla/Matrix/Vibe doesn't even have IRS. The Sentra doesn't have it. And these cars were introduced in 2003 and 2000.5, respectively.

I am sure the A5 platform will have it. I am very excited about the new one, especially after reading the Vortex about it last night.
  • Options
    in YOUR mind it is a fact. being confident is a good thing. don't go changing.

(just do a little more research next time) :)
  • Options
    Ever see pics of a Jetta/Golf in auto-cross with only 3 wheels on the ground? Gee, wonder how that happens...oh right, that solid beam rear axle. That doesn't happen with an IRS.

If solid beam were as good or better then BMW, Ferrari, Porsche and every other performance oriented company would offer that suspension. You can only compensate so much for a solid beam rear axle before you get either the 3 wheel phenomenon in corners or even scarier, the backend hopping. I've had it happen in my Jetta...nothing quite like the back of your car bouncing around a corner. Take a corner real hard and hit an undulation in the road with one back tire and your whole backend will take flight. It's freaky and it's something that only happens with solid beam rear axles.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Beam axle=lower cost=savings to the manufacturer.
  • Options
    So what are you trying to say? Solid rear beam axles are better than a true IRS setup or are you saying that it doesn't make a difference? Either way, both of those ideas are wrong. It's not just in MY mind either, it's in the minds of engineers from BMW, Ferrari, Porsche, Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Subaru, Ford, GM, Daimler Benz, heck, every engineer from every manufacturer knows that a IRS setup is better than a beam axle. They may not use IRS in all of their vehicles, but they KNOW which setup is superior. Like Profan said, VW uses the beam axle not because it's better, but because it's cheaper. Gee, should I believe the manufacturer's engineers or Justin? That's a no brainer to me.

BTW, none of this applies to trucks.
  • Options
    But what I don't get is someone in the Pro forum added a rear stabilizer bar to their car, and the cornering was flatter and better, he said. Isn't that about the same thing as the beam axle, tying the rear wheels together? I would think so, but I am not very technically sophisticated either. :)

The Protege I had didn't lean as much as the Jetta does in corners, but that's springs and not the IRS in the back affecting that. I can't wait to get the Neuspeed bar for the back. :)
  • Options
    I heard the using the Neuspeed for the rear makes a huge difference.

The other thing with a beam axle suspension is packaging, takes up less space, so you get more interior cargo room.

The Maxima has the rear beam suspension also.
  • Options
    "Anakin" has the rear bar on his car, and he said it makes a total difference in the car.
  • Options
    "The other thing with a beam axle suspension is packaging, takes up less space, so you get more interior cargo room."

You'd think the Jetta would have a decent sized back seat then wouldn't you?

Vocus--You really don't have to be technically sophistated to understand. For example with a beam axle, if your drivers side rear tire hits a bump, your passenger side tire is affected. One side goes up, causing the other side to push down, kinda like a teeter totter. With IRS, each side of the car is independent of the other side, keeping both tires planted better no matter the road surface. Another benifit of an IRS geometry is that it allows for benificial changes in camber when cornering and in the Protege's case, toe also (passive rear wheel steering). Again, not MY opinion, just physics.

I have first hand experience with non IRS rear suspensions. I used to own a Mustang 5.0L which had a solid rear axle. If the road was smooth, you couldn't really tell the difference but when there were bumps and I mean ANY bumps, the rear end got squirely like blueguy describes. If you weren't careful, this could lead to your car swapping ends....scary stuff.
  • Options
    here we have BMW and all the rest using this fabulous IRS. and ONE company doesn't. guess what that means?

they don't need to. it doesn't make a difference. what people fail to realize is that since the dawn of time, VW's have been on three wheels when driven hard. there are people that SPECIALIZE in, and will ONLY race VW's, BECAUSE of that. makes things fun.

and please, my Civic and Integra with its fabulous suspension took exit ramps great, until a little bump upset the car.

give me 3 wheels and a SOLID car anyday.

seriously, it can't be that bad. there are more suspension upgrades available for Hondas than their are VW's. simply because VW's don't need anything other than stiffer springs (and blue's sway bar in his case). why do you think Hondas need all of the extra help?

i know that newer technology is generally better. but i think most people think, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

all i am saying on that topic. if you guys hate the jettas suspension so much - don't buy one!
  • Options
    ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    Nobody's heard anything about the redesign?
  • Options
    "here we have BMW and all the rest using this fabulous IRS. and ONE company doesn't. guess what that means?"

Actually, there are a bunch of companies that don't use IRS on all of their cars and it's NOT because the solid axle design is better. It is because it's cheaper.

"it doesn't make a difference."

Well, I hate to break to you, but you are flat out wrong. There is nothing else to say about that. You can keep on thinking there is no difference until hell freezes over. I am an idiot for trying to tell you otherwise because it is PAINFULLY obvious that you don't know much about the workings of an automobile.

"if you guys hate the jettas suspension so much - don't buy one!"

I don't hate the suspension. I just realize that it isn't the best design that could have been used.
  • Options
    moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    2005 model is when the redesign is expected. The Passat also will be redesigned. The new Microbus may also show up in 2005. There will be a large number of new models in 2005 and not just from VW.
  • Options
    Read more information on the MKVs coming here:

http://www.vwvortex.com

There are pics of what the car is suppose to look like, and all. But, like I said, these are mostly speculations for now.

• Options
    "The sport suspension option from the factory is NOT the Eibach setup, which lowers the car over an inch. The ride height does not change, it just has stiffer springs. I am thinking of getting the Eibach setup myself, but if I do I am going to get new shocks as well, which should make the car fantastic in the corners! (well, that and hopefully 17" wheels :) "

Eeew! Myself, I'd prefer the stiffer suspension with stock height and 15 inch wheels (more tire=nicer ride)
  • Options
    "...pics of a Jetta/Golf in auto-cross with only 3 wheels on the ground? Gee, wonder how that happens...oh right, that solid beam rear axle. That doesn't happen with an IRS. "

So?

As long as they are winning, who cares?
  • Options
    who said they are winning? And what are they winning?
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    "Eeew! Myself, I'd prefer the stiffer suspension with stock height and 15 inch wheels (more tire=nicer ride) "

More tire = flabbier cornering. I upgraded to 17" OZ wheels a few months ago, and I can't believe how much better the car handles now.

I have heard from many people that upgrading to Bilstein Sport shocks and H&R sport springs delivers a ride almost as comfortable as stock with vastly improved handling.

The stock handling is merely ok. I think it would be a lot better if the shock rebound were a bit more controlled. It's a little too boaty floaty.
  • Options
    Yes it made a big difference in the car's handling but that's because the car was already gimped by the beam axle. Essentially the sway bar connects to the CAR and wheel mounts, keeping the body from swaying during cornering.

IRS cars can have swaybars too. This isn't about keeping the wheels from moving independently of one another...it's about keeping the car's chassis on a flatter plane.

And anonymous, if you prefer the stock height, soft suspension and 15 inch wheels, then you're not the demographic who gives a hoot about performance. You want an appliance. That's cool.
  • Options
    I have had loaner Jettas/Golfs with the 15" tires. They squeal like crazy around hard corners. My car came with the 17s and "sport" suspension, and it corners a lot better, with no squealing.

I am definitely going to get the rear sway bar at some point, and now thinking about the H&R/Bilstein Sport shocks/springs too...
  • Options
    the 98 inch give or take wheel base on the Golf & Jetta doesn't really help with rear passenger space.

Note, I said interior "CARGO" room....for the Jetta...it's the trunk.
  • Options
    If you are describing what I think you are, it is not an antiroll bar, but a strut tower brace. That is not to keep anything from leaning, but to keep the unitbody from flexing.
  • Options
    When I got my 85 Corolla, it had 155/80R13 tires. I upgraded to 175/70TR13 tires. It was great!!

When I got my 92 Civic hatch, it had 175/70R13 tires. I upgraded to 185/60HR14. That was the best!!! Then, I upgraded THAT to 195/55HR14 Bridgestone HIGH PERFORMANCE tires. It just doesn't get any better.

But then I grew up a little, and decided I wanted something that rides better than something with maybe 2 to 2.5 inches of tire between my car and the road. It has nothing to do with the type of car or type of tires. I have run the gamut of them all, from a 76 Monaco with Goodyear Polysteel 215/75R15's to what I wrote above.

There is a decreasing return on what you get out of what you give up. Hey, look at all the Corvettes running with 235/70R15 tires or the 225/60R15 Gatorbacks on Mustangs.
  • Options
    "... the 15" tires. They squeal like crazy around hard corners."

Here is a perfect example. If these were maybe upgraded to better tires, there would be no squealing, better handling, and a better ride than if 16 or (gasp!) 17 inch tires.
  • Options
    AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    You can claim a better "ride" inasmuch as a 15" would be softer, but handle better... no.

You take a 15" performance tire and a 17" performance tire, and I guarantee you the 17" one will handle better.

Unless you're using the word "handle" to describe something other than hard driving and cornering...?