Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Changing spark plugs - check engine light?

arc1847arc1847 Member Posts: 3
edited July 2014 in Subaru
Hi All,

Need some advice here. I changed the spark plugs on my 2008 Outback, looking to save a little money on the 30K maintenance. It wasn't terribly difficult and the plugs seemed to go in great.

I started it up and it runs fine, but immediately afterward I started getting a Maintenance required light on and the traction control light is on.

The only thing I unplugged in the process (other than the plug wires) was the sensor on the air intake.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what might have happened here?

Thanks,

Al

edit: the "cruise" light is flashing as well and the cruise doesn't work.

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Could the plug be reversed? i.e. wires backwards?

Make sure no vacuum hoses are loose, too.
  • Options
    Checked all connections, nothing loose. I only took the wires off as I replaced each plug so I know they aren't out of order. I had someone on another forum suggest that when I unplugged the sensor that it caused the problem and only need the computer reset. I hope that's the case.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Check the intake system very carefully for loose hoses. Usually when replacing the plugs, you have to move the air cleaner box and the intake line out of the way on the passenger side, so it is possible that a vacuum line or some other wiring was pulled loose inadvertently. I am pretty sure there are a couple lines on the bottom of the intake that may be hard to spot, so take a close "360" look at it.

Also, double-check that MAS plug you removed to be sure it is fully seated.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, as I drove my son to daycare the condition was the same. AFter dropping him off and I started the car the lights were all off and the cruise operated normally.

Anything I need to worry about?
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Just keep an eye out.
This discussion has been closed.