Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Minivan Transmission Problems

Comments

• shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Regarding the engine light, the only times either of our GCs (or either of my BMWs for that matter) have displayed that light was when the gas cap wasn't properly tightened after fueling. Check your gas cap, if it is cocked and/or not tight (cap clicks when turned after it is tight enough), it will take as much as another tank of fuel before the light will go out by itself.

In our case, once we moved out of New Jersey (where it was illegal to pump your own gas), our engine light problems went away.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • freshwaterfreshwater Member Posts: 92
    I thought of that and already check the cap for tightness.
    Still need to drive more to finish the fuel in the tank.
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    We have a 01 DGC EX and needed a new gas cap at around 50K. (The seal was bad). We bought ours used too. I did not notice the gear selector switching back and forth from D to N during the week our check engine light was on. :)
    A weird observation about the transmission on our 1998 3.8 GC...

The company that is now my main client has recently moved their offices to a building that has its parking lot right at the entrance ramp to the freeway that I travel to and from home. Given the close proximity of the ramp to where I park, I'm usually up to 70 and on Cruise Control within a minute and a half of engine start, which is obviously long before the innards of my engine and transmission have warmed up to operating temperature. With this in mind, I make very sure that I never exceed 3,000 rpms during my climb up the ramp and up to speed, and as such I'm not at all worried about damaging anything.

What is weird is that once the CC is engaged, the engine settles in at around 2,600 rpms at about 71 mph, and stays there for maybe four or five miles before the torque converter apparently locks up and drops the rpms down to its more normal 2,200 revs.

Given that this is the first Automatic transmission equipped vehicle I've commuted with since 1975, I find this behavior strange. Do y'all suppose the transmission control unit is programmed to prevent lock-up until everything is warmed up or could the initial failure to lock-up simply have to do with the wider open throttle position that always comes with a cold engine at any given load?

Do any of y'all have any thoughts on this?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    "Do y'all suppose the transmission control unit is programmed to prevent lock-up until everything is warmed up ?"

Yes!
    Cool! Thanks. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ronq1ronq1 Member Posts: 1
    I have changed my trans in the van that got good deal on .the trans seems to work all right BUT it won't shift into a higher gear or a lower gear .the trans goes RD3L good just won't up shift.
  • nedlynedly Member Posts: 1
    i heard that they fixed that differential pin problem but do you know what year they put the fix on? i seen on a show they put a bracket over the pin to cover it. i have a yr. 2000 caravan. thanks, terry.
  • junkhoundjunkhound Member Posts: 1
    Have you replaced the $14 hall effect sensor in the distributor. 92 failed like that.
    Yesterday I was going on the hwy around 55 and I heard a big bang, I know right their i lost my 4th gear. I took a exit, stop at light and then pull into a parking lot. After that I cannot put my van in to any gear, so the transmission did went bad. Towed the van to the dealer. Lets see what he will told me on Monday. I do have 8/80000 extended power train warranty. I hope I dont have to pay anything from my pocket. So the engine light was telling me something right about the transmission.
  • gregmangregman Member Posts: 24
    Hello all. Have the 3.3liter lx model. Bought from dealership lot with 40k mi. After a month wife noticed fluid drips overnight. Dealer says it's okay, just "overflow" drip. She said bull, it's trans fluid.
    After agreeing it's trans fluid they tell her it's a seal, and repair it. Even tried to hand her a 600 bill for repair!
    Upon reading the receipt (and not paying for warranty work), we read that the front pump was replaced. Isn't this the torque converter?
    Salesman (of course) swore that T&C trans problems have all been resolved in newer models. My question is do I have the same problematic transmission they've been using for so long? Thanks for any insight.
  • jimdriggersjimdriggers Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 plymouth voyager and yesterday when I went to stop at a stop sign the van jerked back and forth 3 of 4 times then the van would not move. The van was stuck in gear but nothing happens when you give it gas. You can shift gears but nothing happens. The engine runs fine only the tranny is stuck. I cound not push the van either sicne the tranny is stuck in drive.
    I had the transmission fluid and filters changed by a reputable mechanic about two weeks ago. Someone told me that the mechanic probably did not get the bearings or something under the filter back in place which directs the tranny fluid to the different areas of the tranny...is he correct?
  • chuckgchuckg Member Posts: 69
    Jim- I don't know if he is correct or not. I do know that if your mechanic filled your transmission with the wrong fluid, you WILL have problems. That transmission takes either ATF3 or ATF4. Check your owner's manual. Using any other type of fluid will ruin your transmission.

If the mechanic tells you he used anything else, you'll need to flush that transmission. Don't let the mechanic tell you that using something other than ATF3 or ATF4 is OK. It is NOT.

Using the wrong transmission fluid is the number one reason for transmission problems in Chryslers.
  • frupperfrupper Member Posts: 1
    My van has issues. First, and foremost the transmission. It works well in every gear except REVERSE. Also my service engine light remains on. Also all of my instrument lights on the dash do not register. For example I have no speed odometer and can not see my gas gauge as to how much gas I have in the vehicle.

So I need help. A garage told me there is a replacement switch or part that my fix the problem with power to the instrument panel as well as it will cause the transmission to not let it perform in reverse.
    Got the call from Dealer, he told me Yes my Tranx is gone .
    They will overhaul it (dont know what that realy mean). Everything will be covered except some cooling thing they need to change will cost me $200. They think that cooling part has caused the Tranx failover. They are ordering all the parts from accross the country so it will take some time. They also give me a rental for 5 days maximum.
    I dont know what is the difference between an Overhaul or Rebuild. I hope whatever they do works fine.
    Actually the dealer put the rebuild trans. It took them one day to finish the job. Already got the van back and its looking good. They think the trans cooler was pluged which cause the trans breakdown. They replace the trans cooler for $275 and thats all I paid for the whole job.
    This chrysler dealer was real good.
    Help, please! Post #998 is me and I have to decide to buy a Chrysler extended warranty before 48k mi according to their website. Apparently was a rental or fleet vehicle before purchase.
    After getting a "front pump" replacement I wonder if I should be concerned about an '05 needing a trans in the future. I keep my vehicles for a very long time when practical. Owned 2 vehicles in the last 25 years! And I drive more than average. Thank you.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    MY New 3.3 2005 lx only had 1,800 miles on it when they replaced entire tranny with a new one, not rebuilt, and i had to ask for another new car replacement because of all the noises i experienced in my new car in the tranny, whines, etc., they did a tsb first, did not help, finally they did replace tranny, but not car, also a new muffler system, and i still have peeling paint issue, never again, will i deal with a chrysler product, i thought all tranny and quality problems had been resolved, same old junk from chrysler, love the ride looks, etc., just did not like a remanufactured used car when i was supposed to get a new one, and now they have taken away the 7/70,000 tranny warranty for 2006, be aware of what you might be purchasing when going new anymore
  • jedikiajedikia Member Posts: 2
    My caravan has been going into 'limp home ' mode. It does this after getting up to highway speed ( over drive ? ), and then having to slow down enough ( apx, 30-35 )for a down shift. After it does this , I've been restarting to reset, and it drives fine until slowing down again. This does not happen when driving around town at speeds lower than 40. I finally called the dealer who told me it was probably the input speed sensor that could be fixed for $120. When the tech scanned the DTC code he got P1776. He didn't have any info on this, so called their Dodge hot line. He was told that it was a stuck valve, probably caused by metal debris from the convertor. They recommended replacing the convertor, valve body, pump and seals....$1400. ( the tech did say that there was some fine metal shavings build up on the magnet. This is a reman trans with 50K )

Dusty had said in #864 that if a restart fixes a problem it Almost always is not the trans . I know that this may not be the case with my problem, but it gives at least a little hope that the dealer is wrong.

Does anyone have a second or third opinion as to the problem ( if not a stuck valve ), and/or a possible solution that is easier than a rebuild ?

Thanks, Jeff K.
  • dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    Jeff,

My apologies but my response in #864 has misled you.

In that scenario I was meaning a PCM/TCM reset that is performed by disconnecting the vehicle battery. This wipes the shift algorithm from the TCM and puts it in the default mode.

In general, correct transmission performance after a reset by simply restarting indicates that the major components are probably healthy as long as the condition is not accompanied by a fault code or "limp in" mode indication.

If a problem occurs after a restart and there is a fault code or "limp" mode indicated, it generally means that there is a problem with a component.

In your case a P1776 code is not listed in the book I have. I'm pretty sure your problem is not the TCM. However, I think a sticking front servo or accumulator, or loss of line pressure could cause your symptoms. Of course, a problem in the valve body wopuld be the first thing I'd look for, so your tech's thought is logical.

You say this is a reman. How many miles on this transmission and did a Dodge dealer install this? A good reman shouldn't have a problem as long as the correct ATF is used.

Sorry for the poorly written statement.

Good luck,
    Dusty
    Since no reply about '05 T&C trans reliability I can only assume it's the same old pos. Still thinking about extended warranty.
  • jedikiajedikia Member Posts: 2
    Dusty,
    Thanks for the response. Your answers have been very helpfull to me in my researching efforts.
    The original tranny blew a pin thru the side after apx. 90 thoasand. The dealer put in the reman. about 50 thoasand miles ago. They say they only use ATF fluid, and I trust them in that.

They said they didn't recommend just trying to replace the valve body because if the converter was deteriorating it would eventually foul another valve.(or something like that)

I'm not sure if that alternative would end up being the least expensive in the long run. What do you think?

Thanks again,
    Jeff
  • nelson331nelson331 Member Posts: 3
    I know the older Dodges all had Tranny problems. But they suppose to have been corrected from 04 models. However, when I had by 99 1500 tranny rebuild at 90K 1 year ago, the shop owner told me he has seen newer, 02-04 models, coming in for repair with the same failures.

Does anyone have info on the more recent models, maybe the 05-06? I like many of the dodge products, but I really hate the deal wiht the tranny problem again.
  • greener1greener1 Member Posts: 37
    MY New 3.3 2005 lx only had 1,800 miles on it when they replaced entire tranny with a new one, not rebuilt, and i had to ask for another new car replacement because of all the noises i experienced in my new car in the tranny, whines, etc., they did a tsb first, did not help, finally they did replace tranny, but not car, also a new muffler system, and i still have peeling paint issue, never again, will i deal with a chrysler product, i thought all tranny and quality problems had been resolved, same old junk from chrysler, love the ride looks, etc., just did not like a remanufactured used car when i was supposed to get a new one, and now they have taken away the 7/70,000 tranny warranty for 2006, be aware of what you might be purchasing when going new anymore :lemon:
  • gave1002gave1002 Member Posts: 3
    My 2001 Dodge Caravan (3.3L Flex-Fuel)tranny is in limp mode. My local mechanich hooked-up the code reader and told me it is a bad TCM (transmission Control Module). Can someone tell me the part number for this computer? Also,where is it located in my minivan? Thanks. :sick:
    The majority of problems with the 42TE minivan transmissions are in the valvebody, usually a sticking solenoid or valve. These transmissions are as robust as any from other manufacturers (better than some, actually) but probably more sensitive to dirty or oxidized ATF. Valvebody maintenance could very well be all that your van needs.

Best regards,
    Dusty
    My company has a national fleet and we currently have around 4300 Dodge Caravans of various years. I think we've had two '05 transmission problems that required a Mopar replacement. Transmission problem rate in our Chryslers are about the same as our Ventures and less than our Freestars.

What I appear to be seeing lately on Dodge versions is a problem related to a seal failure that allows ATF to enter the solenoid cavity. This disturbs the operation of the shift solenoid. Newer replacement shift packs should resolve the issue.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • jim98jim98 Member Posts: 3
    This past Sunday I was traveling in my 2001 T&C with cruise control at 65 MPH. The van had shifted REAL hard once going up hill on the interstate, but then continued operating normally. About 20 minutes later, I lost all power in the transmission and pulled over. Van would not move and would not stay in park, had to engage parking brake. Towed it to local Chrysler dealer and left it with keys and note due to being Sunday. Unfortunate thing is that I was 2 hours from home. Rented a car to get home. Dealer Service called on Monday. Said computer codes indicated clutch failure and that they wouldn't know scope of problem until a tear down at minimum $550. Called today and said Output Shaft broke, metal all over and transmission had to be rebult or replaced. Quoted me $3,800. on a re-manf Chyrsler tranny!!!! I feel that I am being taken advantage of by this dealer, especially since the van is 2 hours from home and I don't seem to have many options. This price seems rather excessive. I would appreciate feedback and/or advice from the community.
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    How many miles? Has your trans ever been serviced? Too bad it's over 2 hours away. I'm sure they would be willing to show you the internal damage. $3800 is high, but will come with a 3/36000 warranty.
  • jim98jim98 Member Posts: 3
    81,000 miles and yes, the transmission was serviced in August 2005 by another Chrysler dealer.
  • mcheromchero Member Posts: 6
    Have a 1997 Grand Voyager with th 3.3l engine. I have over 110K on the trans. I had purchased the 100K warranty when new. Did have some torque converter work & front pum work done aroun 70K.

Now my transmission has a nasty growl when ever it's shifted to 1st or reverse. The growl does seem so wuiet down when it gets up to 4th gear.

Late fall I did a filter/fluid change & noticed lots of FUZ on the magnet. Cleaned magnet, pan & replaced filter. Same growl as before. Fluid clean & shifts w/o problems.

Ideas suggestions? I'm past warranty of course and purchasing dealer fast at writing up two quotes, One from refurb trans/torqe swap ($2.500) and the 2nd quote was rebuild at dealership ($1,600).

Almost tempted to rebuild myself but not sure if I'd need to rebush & new pump & such.

I love this van! Keep it new looking inside & out, remote starter and best of all...It's paid for!

Ideas, suggestions?
    I've been tempted to rebuild the transmission on my 1998 3.8 myself, should the need ever arise. That having been said, I've been "told" that these transmissions need some fairly sophisticated equipment to set them up properly. Is that true? I have no idea. I'm thinking that since mine already has 108K on it with not even a single problem along the way, I'd much rather use this one again than to take my chances with some other unit of questionable history that has already failed one or more times.

If you find out that these are doable by a reasonably competent mechanic without super specialized tools and equipment, please let me know. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mcheromchero Member Posts: 6
    Keep it super clean when tearing down & reassembling is the golden rule. I don't think you need ANY specialized tools. I had rebuilt a number of automatics back in the 80's. When tearing down keep a VERY CLOSE EYE on how it's assembled.

I'm just afraid that the growling might mean a bad pump or perhaps a new bushing. More than a standard rebuild kit.
    Hmmm, that's good news regarding the equipment needed to rebuild these trannys, and even though the whole "Keep it clean" thing is almost second nature, a reminder like that is always in order on a project like this one. Thanks. ;-)

It seems that you have more recent experience that I do as the last tranny I did was the venerable A-904 unit from an old slant six Valiant. Geez, I think I'm getting old. :-/

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • aapyeaapye Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am the not so proud owner of a Town and Country 2005 limited with the 3.9 engine. Aside from the fact that the DVD player has been replaced every 9 months, and the various extra's not working...The latest problem at 20,000 miles is the transmission will not stay in Park. Other day my wife was on an errand and pulled up to a store and placed the van in park, and ran inside for a quick price check. The minivan 1 min later drove through the front window of the building. Meanwhile the gear selector was in Park the whole time!
    So now we are on the financial hook for the storefront, and the damage to our vehicle. Not sure what step to take next as the minivan has been towed off to the dealership for inspection. Our daughter was in the back asleep at the time this happened. Luckily no one was hurt. Am glad the van was pointed towards the store and not out towards the highway.

When i called the dealership they acted surprised at this problem. The car was scheduled to be looked at next week, so now they have it a week early. I hope I am not forced to pay for all the damages.
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    I think you meant you have the 3.8 engine....anyway, how long have you had this van? You state "Aside from the fact that the DVD player has been replaced every 9 months" We also have a 2005 Touring Model and have not even had the van a year yet.

You said " So now we are on the financial hook for the storefront, and the damage to our vehicle". Do you all have insurance? Sometimes when accidents happen, people call their insurance companys and get them involved. :confuse: Just a thought!!

I realize this is a little off topic but, your wife left your daughter in the back asleep? :confuse:
  • truthseeker2truthseeker2 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Grand Caravan that makes something like a "buzz" sound when I shift into or out of reverse or drive. It only makes the sound when I shift into the gear or when the transmission is changing gears on the highway.

Any idea on what it could be?

thanks
  • 97dodgegrandes97dodgegrandes Member Posts: 5
    Hello, I am looking for some technical advice. My 1997 Dodge Grand ES 3.8 liter AWD. Bought it 2 years ago with 30K miles. Now has 55K. Never had the trans. serviced.

It does not like to down shift out out 3rd gear when you drop in RPM. So you are cruising along, come up on a slight grade, at constant petal the RPMS drop, you would think a downshift would be order. Instead it stays in 3rd at 35 mph and a low drone freq. develops.

You can force a downshift by pressing the accel. to the floor. Perhaps this is is by passing 2nd and dropping to 1st?

Now tonight, it seams to shift forward quickly, pull out of stoplight and it shifts into 2nd and 3rd very quickly.

It has gotten more and more evident. Seems worse when cold.

Have you seen this before Is this sensors? Seals? Solonoids?

Is there a place to view technical exploded views?

Thanks for you help. Mike
    After reading more I also can say that the fluid is oxidized, I checked it yesterday, it was also somewhat frothing. So I am going to schedule a wynn's flush, filter change, replace fluid with ATF+?? Hmmm, my manual says ATF+2. Please advise.

Does this problem I have sound like a shift pack issue?

Thanks, Mike
    Ummm, they ALL buzz, going into gear, coming out of gear and shifting from gear to gear. I'm a runner and a cyclist and I can tell when an automatic equipped FWD Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth is approaching me from behind if I'm approaching an intersection or just leaving one simply from the buzzing noise the transmission makes as it does its thing. Please be assured, what you are hearing is simply normal operations for this type of transmission.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Definetly chage the fluid. The Wynn's flush scares me though. What fluid do they use to flush it with? Will all of that fluid disapear? A '97 was originally equipped with ATF+3. I would use ATF+4 which is backwards compatible to ATF+3. Do not get this service at a "quick lube" place, as they use a "one size fits all" fluid with an additive to make it "just like" ATF+3/4. Personally, unless you get this done at a dealer, I would be present when they re-fill your transmission to insure proper fluid is being used. Ask to see the pan after it's dropped to check amount and type of debris on pan magnet.
  • goodbuys28goodbuys28 Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know the RPM range for fourth gear in a 3.8 T&C minivan?

For example: cruising on level highway at 60 MPH - what is the average RPM. I just had a transmission oil change and it now appears that I am running at a higher RPM than before. Cruising at 60 MPH level highway -- I am at 2200 RPM, I recall being under 2,000 RPM. Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Three separate thoughts:

1) What model year are you talking about? We have both a 1998 and a 2003 with the 3.8, and off the top of my head, I cannot remember if they display the same RPMs at any given speed or not.

2) When you saw the 2200 RPM reading, was the van warmed up? I ask because given my current work location, I'm up to my normal 65-70 mph cruising speed within a minute and a half of engine start. What I've noticed is that for the first few minutes at speed my RPMs hover somewhere over 2500 and then drop to more like 2200. Clearly what is happening is that once the transmission is warmed up the Torque Converter locks up and drops the RPMs accordingly.

3) Who performed your transmission oil change? Are you absolutely sure that the proper transmission fluid was used? I ask because I've heard that if the incorrect fluid is used the various computer controlled clutches will enter a never ending engage/disengage/engage cycle (and destroy the transmission in fairly short order). Assuming that is the case, then logic would suggest that the RPMs would rise somewhat given the constant slipping of the clutches.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks for the reply. The T&C is 2001. The engine was warm (10 min. of driving). I may need to take it on a longer drive to see if the torque converter is locking up.

The trans oil was changed at a Chrysler dealership. Hopefully, they used the correct oil. I did not double check but I expect that they should know their products.

I recall that the normal RPM in 4th was less than 2000. I am wondering if other people experience the same or is cruising at 2200 normal. Also, can you feel when the torque converter locks up?
    I took our 1998 out this afternoon to warm up the oil prior to changing the oil in both of our vans (Mrs. Shipo had already warmed up the 2003 while running errands), and remembered to check the RPMs at 60 mph. Finding a flat place around here where I can do 60 is a bit problematic, however, each of the three times I was able to stabilize the speed at 60 (using the cruise control) I was showing about 1850 RPMS.

So, for a 1998 DGC with the 3.8 liter mill, 1850 is the number.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    "Also, can you feel when the torque converter locks up?"

- Feel? No.
    - Hear? Hmmm, maybe, depends if I've got the audio system on loud or not. If it's off or low enough, I can hear a slight drop in the note of the engine.
    - See? Yes. There is a noticable 400 RPM drop when the torque converter locks up.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I double checked my owners manual for 97 Dodge GC, AWD. It has ATF+2 all over the cover and inside for transmission and overrunning clutch. I'm wondering if ATF+3 supersedes the printed material that I have?

Question: For 97 AWD, is the overrunning clutch a concern? Prone to failure? Should I service it as often as the transmission?

??? Is my failure described in first message a shift pack issue?

Thanks, Mike
    Your dealer probably dosn't even carry ATF+3 anymore, and definetly won't have any +2. ATF+4 is a superior fluid and is backwards compatible to the older fluids. I don't know much about the AWD system, but I would follow the maintainence schedule for "severe service", when it comes to the transmission, in your owners manual. ATF+3 is still available in parts stores if you wish to do the job yourself, but I would go with the ATF+4, which may not be available in your local parts store. Other posters always try fluid replacement first, before trying more expensive fixes.
    Thanks for checking. My wife also pointed out to me the problem in the downshifting - it was loud and you can feel it so we took the van back to the Chrysler repair shop today.

They were able to fix the problem. They told me that after the transmission oil change, when the car was started the computer sensed the low oil pressure in the transmission and put the trans in default emergency mode, thus causing the lock-up to cease and abrupt shifting in the gears. After reprogramming the computer, transmission problem was fixed.

I am glad for the repair, I just wish that I wouldn't have to take it back twice for a simple transmission oil change at a dealership. :D
    No problem, glad to help. :-)

"I am glad for the repair, I just wish that I wouldn't have to take it back twice for a simple transmission oil change at a dealership."

I'll fault the dealership for that one, that problem should have been caught on what should have been a mandatory test drive. Were I you I'd be inclined to make a little noise and see if I couldn't wrangle a free oil change or some such. ;-)