Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

98 Ranger XLT temp gauge does not go down

fordrangerfordranger Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Ford
OK, I have a 98 Ranger XLT 4 cyl, only 27750 miles. I have replaced the temp sending unit (two wire plug) that goes to the gauge on the cluster. here's the problem. You drive the truck temp goes to normal opt temp, you turn truck off and the temp gauge does not go down. If I unplug the temp sending unit with truck running the gauge goes down. plug it back in and turn truck off it stays up. If I let truck cool down for several hours gauge is still up but when I turn ignition on gauge drops?????? ANY IDEAS

Comments

• Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Hummmm,,,,,

I thought the two wire connector (usually a yellow and a black wire, twisted together), went to the computer to tell it if you were doing a hot or cold start (for fuel management).

The actual temperature sensor (to the dash guage) only had one wire to it. And it was essentially a variable resistor changed by heat to vary the resistance to ground (ground being screwed into the motor).

Maybe you changed the wrong sensor????
  • Options
    fordrangerfordranger Member Posts: 2
    Hi, Thanks for reply. It's a two wire plug to temp sensor. There is a two wire sensor behind that one for the computer temp.
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    Ok. I've messed with old stuff, where the guage sensor was always one wire.
This discussion has been closed.