Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2006 Acura or 1984 BMW

carguy622carguy622 Member Posts: 16
edited July 2014 in Acura
Hi everyone,

So here's the deal, I currently own a paid for 2006 Acura TSX 6-speed with navigation. The car is in excellent physical and mechanical condition with 32,000 miles on it. Additionally, it is still under the power-train warranty for 2 more years.

My father has a 1984 BMW 533i 5-speed that is also in excellent physical and mechanical condition. The 5-series has been garaged for 24 years and has 50,000 miles on it. The only thing wrong with the 5-series is that the tachometer does not work.

About a year ago the BMW's space in my father's garage was replace by a Z06 and he doesn't need the BMW anymore. He's asked me if I'd like to take the BMW and sell my Acura and put the cash in the bank.

I like the Acura, and I've only driven the BMW a handful of times, but it's a nice car too. I'm wondering if I go through with this how problematic the BMW might be since it's so old. I have no reason to think it will be problematic based on my family's previous experience with the car, but I'm still concerned.

I'd like to keep the BMW for a few years at least as I will be buying whatever I replace it with in cash.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Anthony

Comments

• biker4biker4 Member Posts: 746
    Have you driven the car extensively? Do you even like it? It may have been garaged a long time but maintenance could be quite expensive on such an old car - you'd obviously put a lot more miles on it. Then there's the safety issue - your TSX has the latest safety technologies while the BMW doesn't even have air bags. Unless you're really in love with the old BMW, I'd flip dad's advice the other way around - sell the BMW and put the money in the bank.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    The E28 5er is a great car. I had a 1987 535is that I still regret selling.The tach problem is probably a bad SI board- not a serious problem. If you join the BMW Car Club and find a good indie BMW tech you'll be pleasantly surprised by the running costs. That said, the car needs to be maintained by the book. BMW's of any vintage do not tolerate neglect.
    I'd take the 5er over the Acura- unless you plan on making a habit out of running into solid objects at speed.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• carguy622carguy622 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the advice.

I've driven and ridden in it enough to know that I'm smitten with the way it preforms. I did take the lack of safety features into account and I'm not happy about that, but I think I'll be fine under most conditions.

I don't put serious milage on my cars as it is. It will probably take me about 5 years just to put on 50,000 miles.

Unfortunately if I take the BMW I can't sell it. Not part of the deal.
  • carguy622carguy622 Member Posts: 16
    Roadburner, thanks for the input.

I'm seriously tempted to take the 5 just on the basis of it being RWD. I've been bitten by the RWD bug ever since I leased a Miata.
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,288
    If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask- either here or at my CarSpace email. I've had at least one BMW in the garage since 1983.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

This discussion has been closed.