Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Used 2007 Lexus RX350 vs new 2010 Subaru Outback

jlengjleng Member Posts: 5
edited July 2014 in Lexus
It is hard to make decisions about whether to buy a new 2010 Subaru Outback (2.5i premium) or a used 2007 Lexus RX350 (with around 38000 mileages). Both cars are under a similar price range. I have heard a 3-5 year old used car depreciates less than a new car. Comparing the resale value, which car is better? Anyone has any experience or suggestion? Much appreciated!

Comments

• avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I have been thinking about a similar choice, but between a 2010 Subaru and a 2009 RX. I would be getting an AWD and from what I hear the AWD is better in the Subaru. I have a '99 RX now and it has been a very good car EXCEPT that I had to pay $4700 for a new transmission at 150,000 miles and then $1100 for repair of some fan components in the dash right after the transmission.

Gas mileage would be better in the Subaru. I think safety is pretty much equal. Not sure about longevity.
    I've also thought of looking at the Equinox and the Sorento.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    Last weekend I was driving my wife's '04 RX in town and a '10 or '11 Outback pulled up next to me. I had seen them up close as we bought a '10 Legacy last December but this was the first time I'd seen the RX next to one, I was suprised that Subaru had upsized the Outback that much. Although I guess it shouldn't have suprised me, I came out of a '03 Maxima into my Legacy and just about every dimension was within '10" from the Max to the Legacy.

Anyway, I went onto Edmunds and did a side by side comparison between the two and again, almost every dimension is within .1", and obviously the mileage is better with the CVT and the lighter weight.

We actually looked at EX 350 before deciding on the Legacy and we were got the impression that the new Lexus are not as nice as they should be, for the money. Although we're probably a year away from replacing her Lex, it only has 63K miles, I'm looking for some feedback from anyone who may have gone from an RX to the newer Outback.

Thanks in advance.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If you have need, or think you might have need, for true AWD then the Lexus will NOT be your cup of tea. I don't have any expereince with the Subbi other than what I read but I would advise one over the RX based on that.

The new 2010 RX series now has a more decent F/awd system but still not up to snuff when compared to something as functional as the Acura SH-AWD system, and not nearly in the class of most any R/awd system.
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    Maybe I'm just a stupid idiot, but why is everyone on here comparing a brand new non-luxury division Outback to older model year luxury division RX's??? Despite the two being different kinds of cross-over's, one being a luxury one and the other a mainstream one, at the very least, even though I think it is wrong comparison, shouldn't you guys be comparing 2010 RX350 vs 2010 Outback?

The new RX might have some odd interior styling in a few places but the material quality is top notch and high quality, where as the Outback does not have as nice fit/finish, material quality, or feature content as the RX does but they are different level crossovers!

Really seems like a apples to orange comparison if you ask me. Just my two cents!

Outback competes with Equinox, Murano, Venza, Edge, etc
    RX350 competes with X3, RDX, EX35, GLK, Q5, SRX, etc
    The reason I am interested in the comparison is that I don't like the styling of the 2010 RX.. I have a '99 RX and like it except for the poor AWD. So when looking for a "new" car I am comparing the new Outback (the older models were too small) and a used RX along with a few other cars like the Volvo X60, Equinox, Acura MDX and RDX, Venza, Sorento, Edge and the Mercedes GLK.
  • easypareasypar Member Posts: 191
    I assumed the comparo was due to price similarities between a used Lex and a new Outback. My question had to do with satisfaction for anyone who might !(Lexus claims you'll never go back to another brand) have gone from Lex to Outback.

My wife has been happy with her '04 RX but we don't like the newer ones; quality seems to have remained stagnant-at best, she doesn't want to spend that much $ again, and she likes the ride of my '10 Legacy but likes having a "sport cute". We had thought that the Outback was much smaller/sat lower until stopped next to a '10 or '11 at a traffic light one day. After checking the specs on Edmunds almost every dimension is the same-'04 RX:: '10 Outback.

Thanks

easypar
  • smarty666smarty666 Member Posts: 1,503
    :confuse: :confuse: I'll just leave it at that!
This discussion has been closed.