Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

New 2.4L GDI engine

jsganzjsganz Posts: 8
edited September 2014 in Hyundai
Does anyone know when the new Direct Injection engines (like those in the 2011 Sonata) will be available in the Tucson?

Comments

• maringamaringa Posts: 36
    No earlier than this Fall (September/October). I wonder if it will be the 274 hp engine or will they de-rate it to around 250hp? 274 hp will make the Tucson a pocket rocket.

I'm considering buying one...waiting for the second engine option. I am also waiting to see what the new 2011 Santa Fe remodel is going to look like.
  • jsganzjsganz Posts: 8
    I'm defininitely waiting for the GDI engine which should gain on HP as well as MPG. How did you find out that it would be sometime this Fall? I hoped it would be a bit sooner since the 2011 Sonata's are out already.
  • I too will wait for the 2.4L GDI before I buy the new Tucson. I owned a 2006 Tucson V6 with 173 HP and a crappy 4 speed. It had NO power and really poor MPG too. So even though the 2.4L MPI Tucson is 173 HP but better connected with the 6 speed auto, the GDI will be WAY better. And if they ever decide to put the GDI Twin-Turbo into the Tucson.....Look out! It will be a rocket at 245 HP with maybe over 30 MPG...... On regular gas!
  • dvancleavedvancleave Posts: 12
    Does anyone know for sure whether of not Hyundai plans to introduce the GDI version of the 2.4L engine in the 2011 Tucson? I have seen many claims but not sure if they are just wishful thinking or based on facts. I do know that Hyundai plans to introduce a 2.0L engine in a GL model in 2011.

I also have seen that sister company KIA plans to introduce a 245HP 2.0L turbo version of the Sportage sometime in 2011. But I have also seen that Hyundai plans to borrow a page from the American auto makers and drop by 2012.

The rumors are plentiful but I cannot find any official information anywhere. Obviously the GDI version would be worth waiting for, even if it did tack a little more onto the price tag.
  • maringamaringa Posts: 36
    Now that Kia is going to put the turbo in the new Sportages, I wonder when Hyundai will put it in the Tucson...end of this year for the 2012 version, or sooner like Kia?
This discussion has been closed.