Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

1986 s10 blazer engine swap

leblanca7xleblanca7x Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
i'm looking to swap the 2.8l out for a 3.4l and i was just wondering what would be a good vehicle to get one from. any suggestions?

Comments

• duntovduntov Posts: 133
    A 1987 - 1991 S10 Blazer will have a 4.3L engine with a one-piece rear seal and is designed for a roller tappet cam. If you rebuld the engine use the same crankshaft and rods that originally came in the engine. Those engines do not have a crank sensor and they can use the more common parts for a 350 Chevrolet V8 engine. Maximum over bore is .030" oversize (4.030" bore) and you can use 350 Chevrolet V8 pistons if you internally balance the engine. . The heads on those engines have fully adjustable rocker arms with straight 3/8"-24 rocker pressed in studs. You should either pin the existing rocker studs or have screw-in studs installed. Most production engine rebuilders pin the stock pressed in studs in order to avoid warranty problems with pulled studs.

Most of those engines have a provision in the block for a mechanical fuel pump if the engine was equipped with a carburator. Even if the engine was equipped with throttle body fuel injection and a pump in the tank, it still may have a mechanicl fuel pump provision in the block. If the engine does not have a provision for a mechanical pump,and you are using a carburator, you must install an electric fuel pump near the gas tank to push fuel to the carburator. .
  • i wanted to put a 3.4l in because it would be a direct bolt on instead of having to do all the conversions to put a 90 degree engine in like the 4.3l. i don't have a lot of money or time to do this, i just want more power than the little 2.8l puts out
This discussion has been closed.