Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2007 Expy EL fuel advice

exbdishinexbdishin Member Posts: 6
edited July 2014 in Ford
Hi there,

I've just bought a 2007 Expedition EL with delivery miles on the clock (a long story, but basically it's been standing for 3 years and I got a risky bargain).

Here in Saudi Arabia we have the choice of two fuels (which I presume are both unleaded but no-one here seems to know) - '91' and '95'. I also presume these are the octane levels, but again no-one seems to know for sure. I always put 95 in my old car (GMC Envoy 2004) because my knowledge of fuel extends to the maxim "put in the best you can afford". Over here, 91 is 0.45 USD per gallon and 95 is 0.60 USD a gallon, so 95 is a no-brainer if it 'improves performance and fuel economy'.

So, are these numbers likely to be octane levels, and if so does this mean I should be putting in 91 fuel rather than 95? Of course, the manual says you shouldn't put in more than 87. Or is the gas here likely to be substandard quality so I'm safer with 95?

I hope someone can help with my confusion! I'd love to save a few bob by putting in the cheapo stuff but somehow it just doesn't seem right with that gorgeous engine.

PS. This is my first Ford truck and I'm loving it...

Comments

• alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    Using a higher octane than the manual does nothing to help the vehicle. It is a waste of money, and it does not get you a mileage benefit to ffset the added cost. I think you've been wasting cash on the '04. Octane helps the fuel burn, but if the ebngine is designed for lower octane the higher octane does nothing. Save yourself the cash, if the manual says yse 89, then your option would be the 91.
This discussion has been closed.