Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Ford Edge

Comments

• lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Has anyone verified that the cross traffic indicator really works?

Mine does not. I can be backing from parking slot into the path of a vehicle of any size, at any distance, and travelling at any speed, and get no warning of any nature.

BAH!

BTW is there a Sync forum? I could search I guess, but I need to go work on my video camera stabilizer.
  • lcsennlcsenn Member Posts: 9
    Have it checked by your dealer. Mine works perfectly-warns when cars or individuals approaching.
    What's the nature of the warning? Sound, light, ??
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited February 2011
    Here you go:

Ford Edge SYNC Bluetooth SiriusXM Audio Questions

Must be a pretty intuitive interface judging by the lack of recent posts.
    Steve, The only thing I saw on that thread was the possibility of a loose fuse. Did I miss something?

I do get audible signals as I'm about to collide with an object directly behind me. The beeping increases in frequency the closer I get. Is this what I should be hearing if a vehicle approaches from the side?

IMO the whole of Sync, My Ford Touch, and the Nav. system has non-intuitive interface, as well as documentation that strongly suggests that insufficient resources were allocated toward making the systems user-friendly.

Ford better get with it toward making the system(s) usable, else the reputation of the much-ballyhooed system will suffer ... a lot.

The 2011 Edge is my fifth vehicle with OEM nav. system. I rank its user-friendliness near the bottom. I take my Garmin 1490T with me to do the serious stuff.

I say this as a loyal retired Ford engineer.
    Did I miss something?

No, but a Sync fan may still be subscribed to it if you want to post over there. I haven't played with it but I thought most of the reviews were good. And it was helping Ford sell cars.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Maybe it's only confusing for old retired people? ;)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,293
    It's always a good idea to check out multiple sources for information.
    'BlueOvalNews' might be a good place to visit.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    In case anyone things I was being nasty - that was a joke between old friends.
    No doubt about it.
    A reporter is interested in speaking with anyone who is willing to share their recent (last 6-9 months) experience with ANY of the following systems: adaptive cruise control, collision warning/crash avoidance, blind-spot warning, pedestrian detection, self-parking, Ford MyKey or MyTouch, Ford Sync's cloud-based voice-activated features (directions, weather, sports, stock quotes, movies, restaurant/hotel info, etc), in-car on-demand ipod downloads.

If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com no later than 5pm EST on March 16, 2011 and include your name, state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and your phone number.
    Steve,

I attempted to email the following to pr@edmunds.com but it was rejected.

1) Adaptive cruise control: My vehicle not so equipped.
    2) Collision warning ... ??
    3) Blind spot warning: Of little or no value. Doesn't give warning until front of an overtaking vehicle is beside rear of my vehicle. Please note that "blind spot" is the result of improper outside mirror aim.
    4) Pedestrian Detection: My vehicle not so equipped. (Unless it's supposed to be part of the cross-traffic warning, which is malfunctioning on my Edge.)
    5) Self Parking: My vehicle not so equipped.
    6) MyKey/My touch: Nice features, but I'd like fob to be much smaller ... credit card size.
    7) Voice-activated features. Inadequate, inaccurate owner instructions, combined with poor voice recognition, and web site that values form over function could kill this app. Voice commands are spread over several pages of owners' manual.

This needs, at least, a downloadable , editable list of all voice commands so owner can create his/her personalized list for quick reference while on the road. Expecting the owner to find within the manual which of the 16 pages contains the command needed is unrealistic. IMO Ford failed to provide the resources necessary to produce easy-to-follow instructions. In summary: An excellent system with instructions written by the three stooges. (This is not a slam at those who wrote the instructions, it's directed at those who failed to provide the necessary resources.)

As it now stands, after living with this system for 6 months, I still find it much more distracting than the "features" of my previously owned Mazda CX-9.

8) In-car on-demand ipod downloads. I have no interest in this.

Gary Schwartz P.E.
    Michigan & Arizona
    2011 Edge
    We "camouflage" the at sign in email addresses to try to foil the spambots. Can you try again and hand type in the pr at edmunds.com? Unless there was some other reason it was rejected - maybe we think you are a spammer. :shades: Thanks!
    Steve,

I must have made a mistake on original attempt, although I haven't detected what it was. Second attempt got through, and I got a phone call in response.
    Only a Ford dealer can diagnose it so what did you expect Ford to say? Take it to another dealer and get the real problem diagnosed. It has to be the steering rack.
  • ccpbrunoccpbruno Member Posts: 1
    My point exactly akirby, I did take it to a Ford dealer the first time it happened, supposedly they fixed the problem. But guess what, it happened again. I am not risking my family’s life a third time, because some ford tech says it’s fixed (just like the first time). I want Ford to replace the car with the same. If not give me my money back. I would understand if it was the AC system with problems, I then would not mind going back ten times. This is more of a serious safety issue. There are people’s life’s at stake!
    There are good dealers and bad dealers and unfortunately Ford doesn't have much control over the bad ones. Take it to a different dealer and at least give them one shot at fixing the real problem. You're not getting your money back just because one dealer misdiagnosed the problem.
  • coasterguycoasterguy Member Posts: 25
    Hello. I have been reading in here for a while. Lately I have been shopping and I am sorta in between a new Grand Cherokee and the New Edge. I like them both but, really do not need the off road abilities of the new jeep.
    I am somewhat afraid of the MFT drama. I also don't like that you cannot get a loaded EDGE without MFT.
    Am I gonna regret the EDGE. Looking at a Black edge Limited with 20" chrome clads and most options....
    Anyone, anyone??? Thanks
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    I have had my 2010 Limited AWD for about a year now and it really is one of the most enjoyable vehicles I have ever owned. Only complaint, kind of a gas hog in city driving. Highway mileage is fine. I have the 20" wheels and Platinum White colour. Sharp looking.
    Though I am a little afraid of MFT issues. I am picking up my Limited tonight. Black on Black 302A and 20" Chrome Clads. I am excited to get my first Ford. No more imports. This is HUGE for me.
    Enjoy!
  • wallstreet1234wallstreet1234 Member Posts: 41
    OK, we have narrowed it down to the Edge and Honda Pilot,

My wife likes the drive and options with the Edge but the space of the Pilot (we are coming from the Odyssey)

Do the back row of seats move forward and backward or do they stay in place (I know the back rests tilt)?

Can we take the headrests off the back row of seats? My wife finds it hard to see out of the back with them.

Do you think two full size suit cases fit in the back of the edge?

Thanks in advance,
    Steven
    I don't think the 2nd row seats move. Yes you can remove the headrests.

I don't understand the last question. You can put way more than 2 full sized suitcases in the back of the Edge.

Have you considered the Explorer? It's got the bells and whistles of the Edge but has a 3rd row and more room.
    Have you actually taken the head rests off the second row? As I said, I had two dealers try to remove them but they were only able to slide them up and down
    On second thought - I think I remembered a post that you need to release the headrests from inside the seat.

See if there is a small hole in the plastic piece where the post enters the seat that will accept a metal paper clip. If so you need to press something in that hole to release it. If not then it might be necessary to remove the back off the seat to access the post from the inside. Either way it is possible.
    I do not own the car unfortunately so I can't check that.
    Anyone have the power lift gate open while driving? Either mine was not closed or it opened by itself. I tried to make it happen again and it would not. The key fab does not let you open it when in drive and I also tried starting the car while it was closing and it just resumed once the car started. Not sure what happened but it did. I appreciate any feedback. I also posted in a Edge forum to see what I can find out if anything. Probably something I did I suppose.
    Thanks
    I was able to remove mine.

There are two releases. the second is 180 degrees from the release used to raise & lower the headrest, isn't as obvious, and requires more force.

The two have to be depressed simultaneously while also raising the headrest. You have two choices: 1- use a tool like channel locks to depress the two releases with one hand. This risks damaging the plastic release. 2- Get help.
  • moccarimoccari Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information. My wife and I have looked at lots of different two-row and three-row crossovers, and are leaning toward the Edge. We really like the spacious second row and cargo area, all the tech and safety features.

A couple questions for folks here?

Anyone have experience with putting car seats in the Edge?

Also, we've read some conflicting things about MFT. Is it that difficult to use on a daily basis, or does it just have a learning curve like any piece of new technology?

Thanks everyone.
    It appears to be just a learning curve. I don't remember any ergonomic complaints - they're mostly not knowing where to find an option. You also have options with the steering wheel buttons and displays on either side of the speedo and voice commands. Some people find the current software slow but Ford is working on a totally new software re-write that should be out later this year or early next year that should fix the performance issues.

But you will need to read through the manual and play with it a lot more than past vehicles.
    I hope Allen is correct about the rewrite.

The present interface, particularly on the nav. system, is OK for a desktop computer, but misses the mark by a wide margin as a vehicle interface.
    I have that on good authority from a certain individual that we both know. He said the coding was outsourced to BSQUARE initially - a small company made up of former Microsoft employees - and they botched it totally but Ford didn't have time to fix it. So they chose to release it as is and do their best to fix it in the meantime. Meanwhile they brought development back in house and enlisted the real Microsoft to help them rewrite it, presumably without Flash which is apparently responsible for a lot of the performance problems.

The good news is it will be backwards compatible with the existing hardware.
    The bad news is it will be at least several months.
  • csquaredyccsquaredyc Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody confirm if all the new edges are being held at the factory from shipping for quality control issues??

I ordered my edge at end of April, I was first told it will arrive by end of May or early June. Couple of weeks earlier, dealer called me and said all the vehicles are being held at the factory for quality control and no word of how long it's going to take, or ETA.

I just want to know if there's anybody out there in the same situation, or being told the same thing. I'm curious to know what's the reason for the hold up. Any major issues going on with the new edge? or anything happening at the oakville plant in Canada that's causing the delay??
    Just noticed a similar complaint from a wannabe Explorer owner:

gribes13, "Shipping Delays for the Ford Explorer?" #1, 17 Jun 2011 6:46 am
  • kilmarnockkilmarnock Member Posts: 2
    This happened to me today as well as I just started to drive. It was frustrating because it happened in a garage and broke my rear window as it lifted. I went into the message center and disabled the Rear Lift Gate option and it still opens when I press the button on the IP inside the car.

Taking it to dealer to see if there is a bug in the Smart Junction Box software or something else.

Frustrating...
  • gman6555gman6555 Member Posts: 3
    I just had this happen to me on a my new 2011 Edge Limited AWD, Just got the car 2 weeks ago and was driving down the road about 1 week ago when I noticed that the rear gate was up. I had just left work from a parking garage so I did not leave the gate up inadvertently. Well yesterday I was leaving work when all of the sudden I thought I got his from the side, well to my surprise the liftgate was up and hit the overhead concrete support causing over $1500.00 in damage. I need to get this repaired and would like to know what you found out regarding your incidence. Any more people with this problem? Thanks
    There have been a few reports. Was the liftgate open at some point before you started the car to leave? Or was it closed the entire time?
    Liftgate was closed, never opened the liftgate for any reason either time.
    Just heard from the auto repair shop that the whole rear door needs to be replaced. Cost has increased to around $3500.00 at this time, may be more. If you know where I can find these "reports" it may be helpful in helping me recoup the cost of this repair. Thanks
    Google "Ford Edge Power Liftgate". It's only a few random occurrences and nobody has been able to pinpoint the cause so I don't think it will help your case.
  • kilmarnockkilmarnock Member Posts: 2
    I suppose it is related to certain versions of the SJB software. The incidents are occurring more around May/June/July timeframe.

In my case, the dealer in Jersey City, NJ was extremely rude. He suggested that the power lift gate button was pressed (twice) in my pocket when I was not driving... Yeah Right. So I had no choice but to file an insurance claim. They were billed $1800.00 for it. He also claimed that there were no TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) on this issue and there wasn't a newer software for the SJB Module.

I disabled the lift gate ajar option in the message center on the instrument cluster (like some others have suggested) and I have not had this reoccur again ( It occured multiple times before). Note that the only thing you loose by doing so is power gate lift/close by pressing the button in the back. Otherwise it works from the button in the IP and the key fob.

Got to call JD Powers next :-)
    Please write a review at Edmunds too.

Dealer Ratings and Reviews
  • realmianrealmian Member Posts: 1
    Re: 2012 Ford Edge Sport AWD - Will these suggestions be taken into account?

Suggested Improvements
    Headlights are weak at night(are not HID/xenon and appear yellowish compared to LED fogs. No homelink available. The interior is black and charcoal but the ceiling and pillar trim is tan for some reason, and stains easily. No adaptive cruise control on the Sport. Touch screen not very responsive.
  • char4char4 Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    If,on the Limited, the lights are not on "automatic" control and you forget to turn them off when leaving the car is there a signal like a buzz etc. that tells you that they were left on accidentally ? We got no signal and the headlights stayed on.
    The lights on my 2010 Limited have a loud bell sound if left on in error.
  • seadewseadew Member Posts: 1
    We purchased new 2013 Ford Edge Sport two months ago. Today, just noticed gap between headliner windshield on driver's side and passenger side. Standing in the front of car looking toward the windshield you can see wiring. Called salesman, went to dealer, salesman and sales manager says they have never seen such a thing. We then went with salesman on the lot and looked at other Ford Edge's 2013 (no 2012's left) every one of them have the headliner hanging down with this gap! Looks unfinished, just terrible quality. I loved my beautiful bright red sport and so did everyone who saw it. But some really strange things keep happening, there is a few more stories that goes along with us trying to purchase this new car like doing a dealer trade for a 2012 Sport but it didn't make it back without getting involved in an accident. They fixed it, but it wasn't fixed properly, and they didn't even notice it, we said no way and ordered the 2013. This was our first Ford and will probably be our last. I have demanded the Service Mgr. to find out from Ford district rep. as to why the headliner is hanging down. The service dept. acted like they knew or have seen it before, but the sales people knew nothing about it????? Do these dept.'s not talk to each other?
  • conkevconkev Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2012
    I have purchased many ford vehicles. Taurus (lemon) which ford bought back under the lemon law. 4x4 ranger. 3 transmission jobs and multiple other problems. aero star that caught fire from electrical problems. Eddie Bauer expedition had horrible wind noise. Currently drive an f150 which had the instrument cluster go bad . The 4x4 electrical component is bad. The cup holder broke. Well, sorry to say, I will never purchase another ford vehicle again. While trying to raise my family, Ford cost me lots of $$$ in repairs. And, the resale value was poor. We now have an SE Camary and love it. A Honda accord civic coupe with nav and love it. Recently purchased a 2013 Lexus rx350 AWD with nav and it is awesome. Enough said.
    And I've owned 2 Rangers, A Lincoln LS and a Fusion. My wife has had 2 Explorers, an Expedition, an Aviator and an Edge. My son has a 7 yr old Focus and my daughter has a 1 yr old Focus. All except the new Focus and the Edge were kept at least 2 years past the factory warranty - some 3 or 4 years. The only 2 things I had to fix were a door handle on the Fusion and a window regulator on the LS.

Just sayin'........
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Just sayin I don't believe it. I can understand being a fan of a certain brand(yours being Ford obviously) but I think when one is so dedicated to one brand that if fogs the memory. I'm not saying Fords have any more problems than others, but your record is impossible to believe for even the most highly ranked brands out there including Lexus, etc. They all have some recalls and warranty repairs. Or are you just counting repairs you paid for that were out of warranty?
  • conkevconkev Member Posts: 7
    Because I was raised in a Ford family, I was dedicated to ford. But, your pocket book can only take so much. If I'm going to spend 30 to 40K on a vehicle, I want reliability and I dont care what the car looks like. I do my homework and check the top brands before I buy and currently Subaru, Toyota, and Honda products have the best reliability record. In the this months Consumer Reports, Ford Edge has a solid black dot for reliability. There are many consumer reports on line about the MFT issues, transmission issues, and back hatch opening up issues( busting out windows in the garage). I agree that all brands have their problems, but some more than others. Just Sayin............Do your homework.