Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Long term reliability of the Impala

tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
edited July 2014 in Chevrolet
I hope my experience is not typical for Impala owners, but I am NOT a happy camper after six years of ownership.

I have spent nearly $1000 on my 2004 Impala LS since last July, and the car only has 85,600 miles on it. The actuator for the door that controls the airflow in the A/C system had to be replaced, the thermostat had to be replaced, and I just had to have both front wheel bearing/hub assemblies replaced. I think my power steering unit is leaking, too.

The car had to have the intake gasket replaced twice, but it was under warranty then. There was still the inconvenience of taking it in to have it fixed.

I think a brand new car should need only routine service plus a brake job and a set of tires during its first 100,000 miles of service. Is that being unreasonable?

Tom

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    No, you are not being unreasonable.

I feel about the same about my 2006 Impala 2LT as you feel about your '04.

I have had my Impala for 44 months, and now have 55,200 miles on it. The power steering high pressure line blew off at 7500 miles, the brake rotors were warped by 12000 miles, the intermediate steering shaft was replaced at 32000 miles, and the water pump failed at 33000 miles.

The original tires were shot at 25000 miles, and the replacements were done at 45500 miles. So I am now about 10000 miles into the 3rd set of tires. The car has been aligned and the tires rotated regularly, but just seems to wear tires quickly.

I still have the original brake pads on the car, but I can feel the rotors are warped again.

The car also has a small transmission fluid leak that is prominent in cold weather but goes away during the warmer months.

The car is due in June for its annual, State mandated inspection. If I don't trade the car before then I am looking at $500-$700 for new brake pads/rotors. The transmission leak would also need to be fixed and would cost about $400. Not sure I want to put $1000 into this car...
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Sorry that you are not having any better luck with your Impala than I am having with mine, Ryster. It is really sad that the reliability has turned out to be so poor on both of our cars.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.