Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

piston slap V6

tourbustourbus Member Posts: 14
Anyone experience a noise which I have been told is piston slap. This noise only lasts about four minutes after a cold start, then is gone. Was told by Toyota mech that this is considered normal by Toyota. Seems to be caused by the different expansion rates of some materials in the engine block. Heads, piston, i.e.

Comments

• popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    The "noise" that I think you are hearing has been explained on several threads as fuel injectors. I think that most V-6 owners hear it (or don't even notice it) for a few minutes after cold start.

Aparently it is considered normal by Toyota. I would believe fuel injector clicking more than piston slapping in my Avalon.
  • arno4arno4 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is real in 2005 to 2009 Avalons and there is a Technical Service Bulletin on it: T-SB-0094-09 titled:
    "2GR-FE Engine Ticking Noise and/or Mil "ON" P0014,P0015,P0024,P0025,P0017,P0018"

Dealers don't like this one as the fix for an Avalon takes 16.0 hours and 1 1/2 pages of parts. So, they try to say the ticking noise is normal until you have them look up the TSB. It's one of those hidden customer service things---if you complain they will fix it---otherwise they won't tell you about it.

The repair is covered under the 60k powertrain warranty.

That being said, I had them fix my 2007 Avalon and I really can't tell any difference. It still ticks until the engine warms up. So, I really don't know if I gained anything or not.

Six Toyota models are included on the Bulletin. You should be able to Google the TSB number to find the 8 page TSB.
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Member Posts: 231
    arno4, Thanks for the info. I would be reluctant to allow the dealership to spend 16 hrs. and mess with that many parts on my vehicle for the minor ticking that I hear on cold start. And like you say, the noise might be still there.

My philosophy is "the fewer bolts that I allow the dealership to turn, the better".
  • tourbustourbus Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the replies guys. The noise I'm referring to is much more than a minor ticking. It is without a doubt piston slap. The Toyota foreman at my dealership assured me that this is considered "normal" by the company. If I did not have a 100,000 mile warranty on the car I would be very worried. I guess because the procedure listed by arno4 does not get below the heads that this TSB would not fix the problem. I' continue to drive it like I stole it and see what happens in 10 or 20,000 miles. If all turns out OK then the conpany will turn out to be right. While experience has taught me that "piston slap" is not opportunity knocking, they may prove to be right and my experience wrong.
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    I have the piston slap problem on my 2010 Sienna, I have taken it to the dealer several times since I bought it new, and it now has 61,000 miles on it. The factory representative said that its piston slap and its normal, the noise lasts for 15 minutes or more at start from when the engine has cooled down and the noise getting worse. They think that I was born yesterday, Piston Slap l??? 15 minutes!!!!!. Normal?????
    Toyota does not seem to care about quality and customre service, the dealer in SJC is great but their hands are tied to the factory technitian. No more Toyotas for me and I'm telling all my friends and customers.
  • capitalfederalcapitalfederal Member Posts: 11
    I'm on my 3rd set of front tires on my 2010 Sienna, 64,000 miles, have had it alined 4 times during these miles, tire preshure at 37 and have a problem of severe piston slap with this van, ( dealer and Toyota Rep say its normal ) new battery at 1 year ( under warranty ) what a piece of junk. My 98 Avalon has 210,000 miles and its a GREAT car no complaints. If anybody has any luck solving the piston slap problem with Toyota please let me know.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,905
    Heavy FWD van, do you expect it not to eat front tires? Do you rotate them?

As for the piston slap, has it done it since new? I had an 06 Avalon with the same 3.5V6 and never heard anything like that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve