Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2011 Hyundai Elantra

Comments

• carfreak09carfreak09 Member Posts: 160
    Hmm...I'm not really liking the center console design. It looks a bit too stylized and busy. The center vents are mounted rather low too. I think the Sonata's design is better. I also prefer the clean simple design of my '10 Accent.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    If I remember right, the current ET is loosely based off the European i30 (?) and not the current Elantra. I'll look into it later today.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    edited November 2010
    The powertrain and interior are the same, with the exception of a few extra bits on the Touring e.g. lumbar support and cooled glovebox (which I think was dropped for 2011). Also Touring has ESC standard even on the GLS... a difference that will disappear when the new sedan debuts. From test drive reports, it appears the suspension is different, with the Touring having crisper handling than the current sedan. Maybe the Touring is tuned for European tastes, since all us Americans like a squishy ride. (wink)
    edited November 2010
    The ET is more i30 than US Elantra as I sort of remembered...

Autoguide

Wikipedia

and the ever-popular and authoritative Facebook
    Ah yes, Facebook... THE source for automotive info. (wink)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Like Backy said the interior and powertrains are the same as the regular US Elantra. I guess the body panels, frame and suspension are off the Euro i30 which, when doing a redesign, are probably the more critical elements.

Someone mentioned the dash being busy. If you look at the new Focus and other new compact cars I think you will see that they too appear a little busy. They are packing all the goodies from the larger cars into the smaller ones now and just don't have as much room to spread the stuff out and make it look quite as nice. The steering wheels on all cars are getting to be pretty darn busy too.
    It might be busy, but at least it's interesting... better than a slab of grey/black plastic.

Actually, I kinda liked the dash layout of the current Elantra--everything in easy reach, especially the 3 simple HVAC knobs. Nice big center outlets also. Such is the result of "progress"...

Why not put voice-activated controls in a car like this? That technology can't be that expensive anymore, for functions for which there's an electronic control (e.g. on the wheel) anyway. Ford has it on cars like the Focus and Festiva, yes? So not that hard to do on a low-end car.
    Yeah, it should be fairly easy and inexpensive. If you look hard at the Fords you will notice that they seem to have just as many buttons and look just as busy even though they have the voice control. Something I noticed on the Ford Edge when I looked at it was there was about three different ways to adjust the same things which seemed like overkill to me. I like tech and bells/whistles but there does come a time where enough is enough and instead of making things less complicated it becomes a little busy. You still have to drive these things.

I don't mind the look of dash layout at all. Being a little busy doesn't mean unattractive to me, it just means there's alot going on.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November 2010
    Something I noticed on the Ford Edge when I looked at it was there was about three different ways to adjust the same things which seemed like overkill to me.

Well it's a simple case of "you don't want to put all your eggs in one basket". I mean we've all electronics fail on us, whether it's some board in your TV, a hard-drive failure, or just a loose wire. In a vehicle you certainly don't want a failure in the voice-recognition system to disable many of the functions of the vehicle. I like separate switches and controls, and being able to override any electronics. Bells and whistles are great when they work, but they are all destined to fail at various points.

BTW - I'm driving a 2009 Elantra rental right now, and like it. Smooth, decent pickup, a nice stereo. I've also sat in a new Sonata at the mall. I'll have to check out the new Elantra. It looks like the perfect economy vehicle.
  • hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    Anyone know if the motor has a chain or timing belt?
    Are they maintenance free to 100k like Hondas?

I am pretty much sold on the look!
  • wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    1.8 Nu engine is N/A. GDI of this engine will most be like 32/43mpg ish. thumbs way up.
    Chain. Good details on the Nu in this article. Note it says initially at least, the Nu will have regular fuel injection, not DI... but that could be added later:

http://wot.motortrend.com/6703456/auto-news/2011-hyundai-elantra-gets-brand-nu-1- 8-liter-engine/index.html
    Interesting article. It doesn't mention whether this engine is all aluminum or continues with an iron block. Personally I like an iron block for durability and strength, but an aluminum block sure would decrease the weight.
  • rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    You might try leaving your keys in the ignition of the Accent... ;> Just a friendly suggestion. But I'd hold off until you test-drove the new Elantra... Cheers, Bob.
    I saw another article that said the new Elantra is lighter than the current one because the new engine is aluminum block vs. iron block on the old Beta II.
    Hmm..interesting. I figured as much since these engines are all new designs and iron is quickly disappearing as block material.
    edited November 2010
    Hyundai has scheduled a live webcast at 9:55 PST today to reveal the new Elantra.

Elantra Webcast
    Thanks for the links. Very impressive. This car and the Focus are going to be fun to watch in 2011. Cruze is very nice but fails in several categories. At that low weight I am a little concerned about a jittery drive and road noise. I know they've used an alum. block and high strenght steel to get the weight down some but that is quite a difference versus the competition.
    Very impressive detail. Hyundai has a home run with this car!
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Very disappointed in the availability of the stick shift. Only on the bottom models. Can't get it with bluetooth much less leather etc.

Looks nice otherwise, but probably won't work for me. Tired of getting strippers just because I prefer a manual.
    edited November 2010
    Whoda thunk it? Double what I paid for my all-new 2001 Elantra GLS 10 years ago. Of course, that was not nearly as loaded as the $23k Elantra Premium. But a very nice car, with all the power equipment and the great 8-way driver's seat. And a stick (just for dudleyr).

Looks like a strong entry in the compact class, which I'll check out when I start shopping for the replacement for my leased Sentra. But I'll also have to look hard at the new Accent coming next year. Based on what I've seen so far, it might be big enough for me, and still has that "fluidic sculpture" look.

P.S. Anyone notice the Elantra no longer has 4-wheel independent suspension? More and more low-end cars are going that route (e.g. Jetta).
  • Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    We've already got the late '08 model and it's been stellar in every way. The new Accent looks great, just a smaller Sonata & Elantra. The wife's very happy with both models...I've got a feeling that either the Elantra or Accent will end up in our garage sometime next year. The 3s is over 84k & the tires look brand new & we both don't want to put anymore $ into it...yeah, I think next year around this time should do it.

Luckily, they're both good looking rides & even if it doesn't get the proposed 40 mpg's, it'll fit the bill for both of us actually. Will also check out the Cruze to see how far Chevy has really come, though the added weight does bother me a bit. But will give it a fair shot. Probably done with Mazda as we're tired of the exterior/interior layout & want something fresh. Time will tell.

Wonder if the local Hyundai store would make us a deal on 2 of these? We'll also check that out when the time comes!

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• wolverinejoe80wolverinejoe80 Member Posts: 337
    hey mod it's 2011, not 2012.

anyway, very impressive spec. would love to see a turbo version with a stick shift. i don't know why hyundai doesn't try to bring us MS3 or SI fighter.
    The Focus ST is supposed to hit our showrooms sometime in 2012, probably early 2012 would be my guess. It has something like 247hp with a twin turbo 4. I wouldn't be shocked if Hyundai did something similar with the Elantra. It's about time they got into that game a little.
    Keep in mind the turbo Sonata didn't come out right away either...

A 274 hp, 2700 lb. Elantra with a beefed-up suspension (and brakes)... around $22k... kinda boggles the mind, doesn't it? Would have to be red, though.
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    At that low weight I am a little concerned about a jittery drive and road noise.

I wouldn't worry about that at all. My old '93 Mazda MX-3 GS (1.8L 130HP V6) weighed on the order of 2300 or 2500 pounds and it was very stable at speeds in excess of 110 MPH (in a 55 MPH zone :blush: ).
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
    I hear ya but Hyundai hasn't got the rep for rock solid suspension systems that Mazda has. They are good but just aren't as buttoned down. My wife, who is certainly no rally driver, even noticed it when we were test driving the '07 Sonata and '07 Mazda6. I really liked the ride of the Sonata but the suspension was a little noisy on bumps and the whole car shuddered a little more than that size of car should have during bumps. I'm sure they have improved greatly even in just the last three years but I am just a little concerned.....not worried. The Miata only weighs about 2500 and that is solid as a rock. Obviously different beast though.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    2011 Elantra according to Hyundai.
    And have you read any of the posts here over the past seven months? Guess not...
    edited November 2010
    I noticed the switch to a torsion beam suspension. I was going to mention it but wanted to see if anyone else noticed. In all honesty, the torsion beam suspension on my '10 Accent works much better than the multi link arrangement on my former 00 Accent. It feels more buttoned down and stable. I'm sure it will work just fine in the Elantra.

I didn't even pay attention to the pricing of the Premium. Good lord, $23k?? I wouldn't pay that for a car in this economy class, no matter how nicely equipped it is. I predict few sales of this model. Give me an Elantra GLS with preferred equipment package and I'll be plenty happy. I do wish Hyundai would offer heated seats in combination with cloth as I've learned I really prefer cloth. It stays looking nice much longer and is more comfortable in hot and cold conditions. Oh yea, I also hate how Hyundai bundles the premium sound system with navigation. I love a good sound system but I don't want the extra expense of navigation. Why must they bundle these together??
    edited November 2010
    $23k for a loaded Elantra seems like a lot. But it really isn't out of line compared to similarly-equipped models from other automakers. For example, the Civic EX-L with nav is $2000 more than the Elantra Premium, and doesn't have all the features (or power or fuel economy or interior room or warranty...) of the Elantra. Also, compare to the Sonata Limited. Elantra Premium is several thousand less than the Sonata, but you don't miss much at all on features, and the Elantra still has mid-sized interior room that will be enough for many buyers.

So I agree Hyundai may not sell a lot of the high-end trims, but the price seems in the ballpark for this class of cars. For me, the GLS with AC and power package will be fine also. Although I do enjoy the moonroof on my 2004 Elantra GT hatch. I don't get to drive it much anymore, as my son has it at school, but it was fully loaded for its day, every possible option, and listed for $17.4k. I got it for $13.2k. Probably awhile before we'll see deals like that on the 2011 Elantras... if ever.
  • toyetoye Member Posts: 351
    The new Elantras have arrived at some South Florida dealers this weekend. I mistook it as a Sonata and until the salesman told me otherwise....Let me say this the 2012 Elantra is grand slam! Wow what a looker! and the inside was just as imppressive. I saw the top of the line for $20,000 with everything except nav...this auto will smoke the competition in sales!!
    So it is a 2012?? Did it say 2012 on the window sticker, or 2011? From the Hyundai press releases, I expected it to be a 2011, and deliveries are starting this year so I don't think they can call it a 2012.

The Limited for $20k seems high priced at first, but this weekend I checked out the Cruze 1LT, and with cloth seats, no moonroof, plastic wheel covers, and adding features standard on the Elantra like a spare tire, Bluetooth, USB, and cruise control, and with red paint ($325 extra), it was nearly $20k. By that kind of measure, the Elantra Limited seems like a deal.

Let us know if you take one for a drive. I'm eager to know if they drive as great as they look.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    Elantra looks promising. Wish they had more content on the stick shift models.

Maybe the revised touring model will fill this niche.
    It probably is 2011 as it is still 2010.... I was amazed at the size of the Elantra as it doesn't look like a compact...The Elantra has the size of a mid size interior space according the gov guidlines.

The new Elantra has already made the Chevy Cruze (and I was impressed the Miami auto show) inferior in just a couple of months after its debut.
    edited November 2010
    I am wondering how they will compare in the driving department; the Cruze is heavier and has all that sound-deadening material. Also I hope Hyundai got the crash safety right on this Elantra from the get-go; it took 3 years for them to get it right on the last generation.

As sleek as it is, I wonder how the rear headroom of the Elantra is? I hope the rear legroom is at least as good as on the last generation--that car had a very comfy back seat for a compact.
    Interior is larger than the last one but the headroom in the back is slightly lower because of the sloping design. I'm 6'2" and sat in front passenger seat and found it very spacious and plenty of headroom. Again this car is going to smoke the competition.
    edited November 2010
    2011 Elantra just won best in class residual award from ALG.

The All-New 2011 Hyundai Elantra receives the ALG Residual Value Awards for having the highest residual value in its segment!

The 2011 Hyundai Elantra has recently received the all-important Residual Value Award, for having the highest residual value among other automobiles in the competitive compact car segment.

Above copied from post on autoblog.com.

I know this info, if referenced in certain competitors threads, will be met with disbelief or highly educated statements to the effect of "how can they know". However, I think that it is quite indicative of just how far Hyundai has come in the last 5 years in public and industry perception.
    Not surprised!!!

Hyundai is putting tech in cars that cost twice as much. Think of it in the new Elantra for under 20K you can get heated back passenger seats this will be quite welcomed for very cold days for a family of 4 with out spending 30k more.
    edited November 2010
    Hyundai is putting tech in cars that cost twice as much.

Twice as much is probably an exaggeration. Heated rear seats in this class and even the Sonata class is more a gimmick for marketing than something that people really want, need or even expect in these classes IMO. Personally, I wish they would spend they're money in other areas like steering feedback and suspension systems or just in overall grade of materials rather than adding something like rear seat warmers. I'm not saying there is anything really substandard with any of these things but they certainly could be improved on.

IMO the rear seat warmers are just something the markteting people can put in advertiserments as "ONLY car in class offering it!!!".

I'll give them credit for adding some bells and whistles like this.....but just not too much.
    edited November 2010
    Hyundai used to be on the back burner for offering tech in their vehicles...Hyundai didn't offer a nav system in their cars until 2006 which the Azera was the first to offer....now they are becoming the leader of the pack. The Equus I believe is only behind MB S Class and BMW 7 series for tech at least earlier this year.

Maybe a little hype but the point is Hyundai isn't messing arround as they are putting the latest tech in their vehicles for $$$$ less than the competition
    edited November 2010
    I'd trade the back seat warmers for the kind of adjustable driver's seat the 2001-6 Elantra had: dual height adjusters and lumbar adjuster, even in the base GLS. Hyundai took those out of the 2007-10 Elantra. Of course, I never ride in the back seat of my car. (wink)
    Hyundai has pricing info up now...

2011 Elantra pricing info
    $22,730 for everthing. Good pricing. However, I didn't notice the Homelink anywhere in the list of equipment. Thought I did read something about it earlier but it's not there that I can see. Anybody know anything about that?

I priced out the new Focus hatch with pretty much the same equipment and it was around $26k except it had some exclusive stuff like SYNC and myford touch. The Focus also had Homelink.
    I just noticed my local dealer in Orlando, FL, has the first 2011 Elantra in stock listed on their website. It's a limited model and priced at $22430 I believe. No info on its color or pics. I'm guessing its a showroom model that is not up for sale yet or it hasn't been prepped yet.
    Funny... there was one article that mentioned Homelink around the time of the debut, but nothing on the official press release. So it might have been an error in that one article.
    That's interesting on the price. I wonder if it has the "limited premium" pkg. I say that because if it doesn't, some extra margin has been added to that sticker.
    Yeah, I know it must seem like I'm kind of hung up on that option but it's just something that I have on two of our three vehicles and I really like it. It will dissapoint me if the Elantra Limited Premium doesn't have it. The rest of Hyundais lines seem to inlcude it on any Limited version.

Like I said, it's on the Focus. However, it's not on the Cruze LTZ or is it availalbe as an option on the Cruze to my knowledge.
    So if you want a Cruze, why don't you just go and BUY ONE and stop coming in here to an Elantra discussion to talk about it?!?!?!?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I am bad...