Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Isuzu Owners Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    It's been done by several people on this site. Some shops probably don't want to get involved due to liability issues, but it can be done w/o too much trouble IMHO.

-mike
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Where does one buy a hub wrench to get to the inside wheel bearing on an 01 Trooper ?
  • Options
    breakorbreakor Member Posts: 398
    I believe Kentmore is the official Isuzu tool supplier. Sorry, I don't have their 800 number anymore.

FWIW, I have read that NAPA stores have such a tool but you usually have to order it. Some people buy the Ford hub removal socket and grind off 2 of its 4 teeth. This socket is readily available at most auto parts stores. Others simply use a hammer and chisel. They place the chisel point into one of the hub nut holes at an angle and knock it loose. Harbor Tools has a spanner wrench that looks like it should also work. I made mine using some pipe and big nails.
  • Options
    sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I think the transmission wasn't really a transmission issue. They think the catalytic converter went? Now I have it back and everything seems more like that is the case. The low vibration at stop lights under the car is probably back pressure causing vibration. There is a definite drop in performance, associated with off engine noise. My low mileage for the last 3-4 months might also be related?

What concerns me now is how did it go from working (or at least not making all sorts of driving impact) to not working and causing all sorts of side issues? For the week I am driving it can the back pressure cause damage? I am putting it in neutral when stopped, which stops the low rumbling/vibration, that seems to be when there is the most issues with the system.

This dealer has done me right so far. They have fixed all the issues reasonanbly well, not great, but done a decent job. I think they are right about the exhaust...which makes sense, there shouldn't be any reason I would have a problem with the transmission at 30K. I had an issue like listed above with gear engagement, it turned out there was a cable blocking the shifter movement past "D".
  • Options
    catmanducatmandu Member Posts: 53
    Willdo a web search for kentmore tools. Do you remember where they are located or anything more on location?
  • Options
    I got the phone number by calling the parts department at St. Charles Isuzu. I incorrectly assumed that the part would be an Isuzu item.

I personally think you will be disappointed if you pay the big bucks for the official tool. This is just my guess so use it FWIW. I say this because once you remove the 3 screws holding on the hub nut, it is really not spun on that tight. Thus, you don't need a lot of force to spin it loose. One of the other methods noted above should be much cheaper and work fine.
  • Options
    I too wonder what caused your converter to fail. It sounds like your O2 sensor is acting up causing the engine to run rich which in turn fouled the cat. A failing O2 sensor would also explain your mileage problem.
    Have the dealer check this. If it was me, and I was anywhere near the changeover time, I would change it out now just to be on the safe side/attack the cause of the problem not just the symptom.
  • Options
    sdc2sdc2 Member Posts: 780
    I know that there is at least one shop here in the Twin Cities that will move a seat or extend the travel of the seat adjustment. I haven't actually had it done, but wanted to let you know there ARE shops that will do the work. This shop specializes in custom work. So don't give up too easy!
  • Options
    Here is a writeup on greasing the front bearings - http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/56
  • Options
    wbabbottwbabbott Member Posts: 8
    I've got a '98 Rodeo V6 with 125,000 miles. On acceleration or uphill inclines it has a lot of pinging noise or chatter on primarily the passenger side of the engine compartment.

Use to be, when cars have valve chatter it's usually heard on both sides of the engine due to poor quality gas. However, this has a similar although a bit more high pitched ping primarily on the passenger side of the engine. Any ideas??
  • Options
    My guess is that you have some carbon buildup. Try a bottle of injector/fuel system cleaner.
  • Options
    Might be related to the hydraulic lifters (not sure if 98s still had them or not).
  • Options
    arthurc1arthurc1 Member Posts: 4
    99 Trooper with 42.5K miles...first problem with the truck, sigh!!

While driving home the weather got rough and I
    hit the TOD, the auto middle indicator came on,
    the rear wheel symbols blinked the front wheel
    symbols never came on, the auto and rear wheels
    just blink and after, oh, 60 seconds the CHECK
    in red, came on...I am hearing a wierd sort of like grinding sound at times when I start the truck, back up, pull forward and then it goes away. Any ideas anyone????

ac
  • Options
    If I had to guess, I would say the 4WD actuator isn't working. The actuator is what physically engages the front axle when you push the 4WD button.

Just looked at the warranty for 99, the actuator is not listed under the powertrain warranty (neither is the TOD transfer case, surprisingly), so you are down to the 36 month/50K miles bumper to bumper warranty, which you are probably out of by now.

On the other hand, the differential is included in the powertrain warranty, and it is possible the problem lies in the front diff.

Hate to say it, but I would take it to the dealer for this problem.
  • Options
    You could also have a sensor problem and a separate noise issue. Does 4wd low work? If so that should help narrow the problem down. A code scan at Autozone might also help.
  • Options
    4WD low may still work even if TOD doesn't. I imagine it is something simple, even as simple as a vacuum hose coming off (i.e. 4wd actuator not functioning properly).

Shifting into 4wd low, backing up 100 feet and then trying to engage the system can help something that is stuck within the system. A lot of 4wd systems use a gear that tightens with forward movement (I cannot remember the name and if the trooper has it) but if something is "stuck" in the that gear assembly this can help release it.

However us crackpots are probably close to the problem, I bet your dealer can get it quickly and it seems like a powertrain issue, thus a warranty item.
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    at least the mechanicals by the powertrain warranty, IIRC.

My guess? It's the sensors causing a problem. Other items that can cause it? Make sure your tires are within 1/4" circumference of each other, that makes a big difference. My gut feeling says the speed sensors are the culprit. My dealer replaced mine for me when I had the Check light coming on combined with failure to engage properly.

-mike
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    I agree with sd2 - it is probably the electric motor that engages the front differential. I was told by a mechanic to be sure and engage the TOD from time to time during the summer otherwise the electric motor has a tendency to sieze up. He said they replace those all the time when people leave it in 2wd without using TOD for long periods of time. My 2 cents worth.
  • Options
    I think everything everyone said makes sense,
    especially, cmuniz and sdc2. I don't use it like
    I should, if I engage it once a year, and usually
    when the ice and snow comes then I'm doing good.
    I'll post the outcome, I brought it to the dealer
    and should hear something by today or tomorrow.
    Gotta admit it, I do love that truck, it's also
    my first four wheel drive vehicle.

thanks everyone...

arthur
  • Options
    zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    Arthur: AS mentioned earlier, to test actuator see if 4 lo works. IF it doesn't, then I'd its say the actuator is the culprit. IF 4lo works, then TOD is messed up. I'll bet you have a speed sensor
  • Options
    In reply to zutrooper, 4 lo seems to work fine.
    All tires on the icon are lit and blinking.
    It felt like it went into 4 low, lurched abit when
    I engaged the tranny, it seemed tougher so to speak.
    I tried it durring the snow and ice storm we had,
    no skidding, so sliding.
    But now that you mention it, I don't have my owners manual with me, should all tires be blinking or should they be on solid?

arthur
  • Options
    zutrooperzutrooper Member Posts: 66
    In 4 lo, all 4 tires and center should be lit, not blinking. It sounds like TOD hi and 4wd lo is out, mark
  • Options
    sdavitosdavito Member Posts: 71
    The A/C fan on my 2000 Trooper started to act up today. After I started the engine, I adjusted the fan speed, only no air was flowing out of the vents. The next time I started the Trooper (about a ½ hour later) the fan seemed to work fine. The full range of fan speeds were available.

Since then, the fan either doesn’t work at all, or works just fine. I haven’t smelled anything burning, however when the fan isn’t working, and I adjust the fan speed, I can hear a faint clicking. The clicking goes away after I stop turning the fan speed adjuster.

Any ideas? Could it be the relay? Fan motor? Fuse? Or something else?

TIA

David
  • Options
    Do you hear the fan running? if so, the problem probably lies with the controls that direct the air to the vents.

If you have intermittent fan function, then I think a connection must be loose. Obviously a blown fuse would not work intermittently.

Wait a minute, since yours is a 2000, you have the climate control, right? Hmmm, that changes things - now you have electronics involved, which could be the problem area.

Guess I'm not much help there, my 99 has the old-fashioned manual controls.
  • Options
    Brought it to the dealer, I hated to do it, but I did. Luckily, it was covered under warranty.
    The problem was in a solenoid valve assembly, a stuck valve. They changed the entire valve assembly. I'm trying to remember in what assembly it was located in, I don't have the paper work in front of me, I think it was in the transfer case.
    I appreciate all the help I received, thank you all....

happy 4 wheelin all...

ac
  • Options
    wildbucwildbuc Member Posts: 88
    I have just received a notice saying that my 99 Trooper needs its 30K service, which will cost in excess of $800. This price seems to be wildly excessive so I'm asking you guys what really needs to be done. If possible, I would like to do much of the service myself. Thanks for any info.
  • Options
    $800 is pretty high, even by dealer standards.

You will get lots of opinions on this, so here is mine: My best advice is to check the maintenance schedule at the back of the owners manual. Be aware that there are two schedules, "normal" use and "severe conditions" use.

You probably should change the differential fluids and the fuel filter at 30K. This can easily be done by you.

In addition, I recommend changing your tranny and radiator fluid. I had this done by fluid swap machines at a Jiffy Lube-type place. Drain and fill of tranny doesn't get the majority of the fluid changed.

FYI The tranny and the TOD transfer case fluids don't have a designated change interval on the normal maintenance schedule, it just says to check the level. But I would still change these out periodically. I plan to change the transfer case at around 50K, and the tranny every 30K.
  • Options
    I just had mine done $590 OTD...I had tire balancing, and thermostat changed (about $180) so the total bill minus those things was $410 for the 30K service...and that included bearing repack.
  • Options
    beer47beer47 Member Posts: 185
    FWIW, I did all Trans/diffy fluids at 45K, total swap process. I did coolant and fuel filter at 70K. MB1 every 8-10K w/stock filter. Stock air filter as needed, every 15-20K. I am still on original brakes at almost 80K on my 2K "S" which also equates to almost 80K on factory bearing grease. I will have them repack the bearings when I replace the brakes probably on the next oil change at 86K. Even if they say my brakes are OK till the next oil change I am inclined to get them done. It is almost embarassing for brakes to last so long! I am hoping that the Trooper lasts as long as my payment book. 20 more payments and she is all mine. I should have about 150K by then, GLW. Healthy Thanksgiving to all!!
  • Options
    lestatdeleon1lestatdeleon1 Member Posts: 16
    My axiom has 32500 miles. I just have recently started hearing a high pitched noise (more so under acceleration) Could this be a belt slipping?

Oil changes have been every 6k miles (all highway driving) and I have had the tranny fluids changed once...
  • Options
    ccallanaccallana Member Posts: 3
    I like to do a lot of the simple maintainance and repairs on my vehicles myself - but it looks like neither Chiltons or Haynes makes a book for the later Troopers - I have a 99. Anybody got a suggestion on where to get similar type books?
    thanks
  • Options
    bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Helm Inc. is the supplier for Isuzu as well as many other brands. I think the website is www.helminc.com. The factory workshop manual will probably run you $75-100 for a 99 Trooper. Prices drop as the vehicle gets older.
  • Options
    cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    My guess is that it is a belt slipping. With the car in park, open up the hood and have someone press the gas pedal while you listen for the noise under the hood. It should be pretty obvious if it's the belt. If the car needs to be moving for the noise to appear it is most likely something else.
  • Options
    lestatdeleon1lestatdeleon1 Member Posts: 16
    The noise is definately there without movement and it seems to me it is either the belt or fan. Will take it in to the dealer this week as I am only at 33k miles.

Thanks,
  • Options
    dstezaladstezala Member Posts: 6
    Can you really check for codes causing the "Check Engine" light to display using a Palm Pilot? If so please provide more information or a link.

Also I am reposting my msg. (#877 from the Isuzu Rodeo Town Hall list) here in hopes that someone may be able to help.

"# 877 spark plug/electrical problems by dstezala Dec 07, 2002 (01:03 pm)
    I have a 96 Rodeo LS w/ a V6 that I bought used two years ago w/ 80,000 miles on it. It has burned 3 ignition coils on the same cylinder and this time I think the plug was "shot" out of the cylinder and stripped the threads because there was a few ounces of oil spit out from under the coil and I can't seem to get the plug out of the cylinder. I had just changed a burned coil (thinking that was all there was to the problem) and 45 mins later I was driving on the expressway and I heard the rubber boot part of the coil burning (clicking noise) in the cylinder. I looked at it right away and saw the damage. Who knows what I should do next?"

More to the story ------ I first experienced the random "clicking" noise in July 2002. It came and went for a few weeks with no noticeable pattern. The CEL was on from the moment the clicking started and remained on. I took it to a shop. The shop said it was a bad ignition coil pack. Their reciept says they "tightened plug" and "replaced coil pack." I got the vehicle back and it ran fine until about two weeks ago - the clicking returned. Not having the most confidence in the shop that replaced the coil in July/August (after all the problem returned three months later) I decided to try my own hand at diagnosing the problem. I spoke to a friend who is an accomplished mechanic of over 20 years about the symptoms (clicking noise under the hood, rough idle, CEL). He said it "sounds electrical - look at the plugs and wires." I started on the passenger's side of the vehicle, removed the coil pack and spark plug from the front cylinder and they looked fine. Replaced the plug, the old one looked good and had not burned beyond specified tolerances (.044 in). Onto the middle cyl on the passenger side. What the....?!?!?! The rubber boot part of the coil pack was gone (burned away?) and the metal core of the rubber boot part of the coil was in the spark plug tube, along with the resistor (proper terminology? - the screw-on metal cap on the side of the plug opposite the electrode). In addition, the plug was completely OUT of its hole and the spark plug tube was coated with oil that had blown out the top of the cylinder because the plug was blown out (backed out) of its hole. Also, the electrode on the plug was smashed down so there was no gap at all, the part of the plug where the socket fits on was badly marred and the start of the threads look mashed (didn't notice that last detail until a few days later). At this point, I scratched my head, swore in frustration and returned to the house to check the receipt that the shop had given me after they (supposedly) fixed the problem in August. The receipt said they replaced the coil and retightened the plug. So I had one new coil ($103) to replace the damaged (burned) one and new plugs all around. I installed the plugs (even the one in the cylinder that had been blown out and burned the boot of the coil) without any problems and the coil, too. Started it up and it ran great, smooth idle, no clicking noise, CEL went off. 45 minutes later, the clicking returns, CEL comes on. I immediately pulled over to look and saw oil coming from beneath the coil. I knew the same thing had happened. I removed the coil - sure enough the boot was burned away, but this time there was no trace of the metal core of the boot. The plug was in its hole and spins freely but it won't go in or out.
    Based on what I read here about a similar problem on the Troopers (spark plugs shooting out of cylinder), I think the shop that did the work for me in August over tightened the plug (probably w/ an impact wrench - that would explain the maring on the plug) and damaged the threads of the plug and the head. After a few months under pressure - it goes pop and the coil sizzles. I believe when I replaced the plug I unknowingly put it into a hole with damaged threads. When I installed the plug, it went in straight and smooth, not crooked, there was no forcing of the threads on my behalf. I used antiseize lube on the plug and installed it with straight extensions on my socket/drive and made sure not to overtighten it. I replaced the plugs in all of the other cylinders and they are fine. Any thoughts, comments, ideas on my theory about how the damage was caused? Any suggestions on how to fix it? I called the shop that I believe caused the initial damage and the mgr. said he wants to look at it and preliminarily he implied I would not be liable for any costs provided the attempt to remove the plug that is stuck and subsequent Heli-coil of the hole went smoothly. So far, he seems cool about it. But if it gets ugly, I'm calling a lawyer. To complicate matters, the work the shop did in August was subcontracted to another shop. I believe I should not be liable for ANY costs and that the primary shop and subcontractor need to come to terms on who is going to pay to make it right for me, since I believe that one of them caused the damage in the first place.
  • Options
    savvas_esavvas_e Member Posts: 347
    Have a look at www.auterraweb.com
  • Options
    dstezala, I have a slightly different take. I believe the plug was cross-threaded before you took it to the shop. This exisiting cross-threading caused the initial and all subsequent problems.

The shop should have found this and installed the helicoil insert (or at least tried a thread chaser, although once the plug shot out that was probably no longer a viable option) when they changed the coil the first time. Instead they just tried to tighten the plug in its already stripped hole. Consequently, you continue to spit out the plug/fry coil packs.

The fact that you also changed this plug will complicate any legal case. The shop could say you caused the problem. Also, your statement that you didn't notice any thread problem when you changed the plug could also hurt your case. The shop could use it as "evidence" that it is a hard to diagnose problem. The points being, watch what information you volunteer to them and that you may not have the slam dunk winner legal case you think.

Bottom line, the bad threads were there when you intially took it in. Presumably you told them to fix the problem (stripped threads) not just the symptom (fried coils/flying plugs). They owe you for the last 2 coils that wouldn't have failed if they had originally installed a helicoil insert. You still owe them for that helicoil. Rather than get into all of this with them, my advice is to simply take them up on their offer to remove the plug and get a helicoil at their expense. At least that is my take.
  • Options
    kcinmnkcinmn Member Posts: 8
    95 Trooper DOHC

OK, I got through the timing belt replacement routine with some help from you guys, and as soon as I get done replacing the #$*& starter I need to tackle the oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets and a new coolant drip from somewhere near the back of the engine, and the only coolant back there seems to be the heater hoses that disappear behind the engine (assuming it's not a head gasket).

Can anyone tell me how difficult these jobs are? It almost looks like doing either one requires removing the intake plenum/manifold. I suppose if the intake needs to be removed I should replace all 6(?) of the little coolant hoses under there. Doesn't look like fun. But at least the temperature in the garage is above freezing for a few days.

TIA
    KCinMN
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    I have a coolant leak also that drips down near the transmission fluild pan. For the longest time I thought it was oil but now feel it is coolant simply getting filthy dirty on its way down. Of course, coolant level is dropping as well. I didn't realize a heater hose may be back there but for the life of me I cannot see where it is coming from. This is a 97 Rodeo 3.2 L .. Logical assumption though. This has been going on for two years now. Where exactly is this heater hose?
  • Options
    boxtrooperboxtrooper Member Posts: 843
    I have been told, when I asked about a preventative maintenance hose change, that there are up to 10 hoses on my 1995 SOHC Trooper-S 3.2L engine. The shop recommended leave them alone till one fails because failures are actually rare on Trooper hoses, they said. It might be a good idea to do all the hoses, that is what I wanted to do, but since it will be a major job to get them all either A get them all and do other maintenance while things are apart or B just go after the leaker and any other hose that is easy to get at when you get theat one.
  • Options
    kcinmnkcinmn Member Posts: 8
    The starter was real fun (not). Anyone know why Isuzu uses grade 9 bolts on the exhaust? Makes it real difficult to just break them when they're rusted. I had to cut one with a hack saw and cut and grind the other with a dremel tool.

But back to the valve cover gaskets - will the valve covers come off without removing some of the intake? I'm hoping somebody with a real (Helms) manual can help here.

KCinMN
  • Options
    I have found that most metric bolts are grade 8 or above. While searching for bolts to put my Bull Bar on I found that english measure bolts have a wide range of grading where metric I could only get grade 8. It may just be dumb luck that the bolts are grade 9?
  • Options
    57d57d Member Posts: 7
    Purshased used 2001 Rodeo with 4 cyl. It has whining noise comming from ft. of engine especially when cold. Anyone aware of recall on timing belt on this vehicle? It only has 13 thousand miles on it.
  • Options
    I've already gotten some good tips from sdc2 and breakor in the Isuzu Trooper topic, but at breakor's suggestion I'm reposting my questions here...

Checking Spark Plugs
    Last night I tried to do this on my 98 Trooper (3.5L V6) but was unsuccessful. I removed the 2 screws from one of the coil packs. Tried to remove the wires from the coil pack, but could not figure out how. I didn't want to pull too hard and break something.
    Any suggestions?

I'm trying to get a look at the plugs to see if they are still gapped properly, tons of oil in there, etc. At just over 75k miles, it's time to replace them anyway, but I wanted to see if they look okay or if they show signs of problems related to the engine's high oil consumption.

PCV valve
    I'm trying to figure out if the PCV valve on my 98 Troop is okay, or if it might be faulty and would help explain the increasing oil consumption.
    I have no idea where the PCV valve is. Can anyone help? I found and removed one thing that looked like it might be the PCV valve. I'm totally clueless under the hood.

This thing was attached to an appx 1/2" diameter hose on one end and to the engine block (?) near the front-most coil pack/spark plug on driver's (left) side. The thing was L-shaped; top half was red/burgundy and bottom half black. Said "AISIN" on 1 side and "897118" and "8600" on other side.
    I've seen one other PCV valve - on a 95 Ford Contour. The rattling on that one (indicating the needle thing inside is there, which is good) was very noticeable. On the thing I pulled from my Trooper, there was a barely audible rattling but I wasn't convinced that all was well inside there. Shaking this thing in the other direction, there was no rattling; instead, a sound like a liquid (oil?) sloshing around in there. The end of the thing that was plugged in to the hose had just a wee bit of oil on it; not sure if that's normal, problematic, etc.

I'm guessing that this was indeed the PCV valve on my Trooper and it appears to be not right. I will probably call St. Charles Isuzu in the morning and order a new one. That way I will know for sure what it looks like!
  • Options
    My wife called this a.m. on way to work and said Troopy (98 w/75k miles) running rough. She couldn't describe it very well, but says it doesn't sound the same when idling. She claims she mentioned this to me weeks ago, but I don't remember.

She dropped it at an Isuzu dealer near her office 2 minutes ago. The advisor on the phone told me it's probably the intake manifold gasket. But I know it hasn't been running really rough, missing, or stalling in the past few weeks. Our truck had those symptoms around 50k miles ago, and we had the intake manifold gasket replaced (at a different Isuzu dealer) under warranty.

Any other ideas on what it might be? I drove the truck 40 miles yesterday and all seemed fine. Last night I installed a new PCV valve - hard to screw that up. I also tried to pull one of the spark plugs but couldn't get the coil pack to come out of the hole. I reconnected the coil pack wires and screwed the coil pack down w/the 2 screws. Is there anything else I needed to do - e.g. make sure the internals reaching down toward the plug were seating properly or something?
  • Options
    I'll do a search as soon as I post this, but please let me know what I might expect to pay at a dealer. Our 98 needs several maintenance items but I'm reluctant to pay super-high dealer prices. I'm looking for thoughts on typical dealer prices, typical non-dealer prices, etc.

In the pretty near future, I'm planning to have all these items done on our 98 Trooper w/75k miles, roughly in order of importance to me:

* replace timing belt
    * other items to replace at same time as timing belt, to save on labor costs: water pump, idler pulley, thermostat, radiator hoses, radiator flush/fill
    * replace serpentine belt
    * replace spark plugs
    * repack front wheel bearings
    * brake fluid flush
    * replace brake pads (brakes still working fine now)
    * replace shocks
    * lube body/chassis/rear propeller shaft/clutch pedal spring/bushing/clevis pin/key lock cylinder (I change own engine oil on truck but don't lubricate chassis each time)
    * 4-wheel alignment (truck drives pretty straight but thought this isn't a bad idea anyway?)

I know this is quite a bit of stuff, and there are some fairly pricey items in here. It won't be cheap to do it all, but I don't want to pay twice as much as I need to.

Other than the timing belt and serpentine belt, are there any other belts in the engine that require replacement? Last night I noticed lots of small cracks in the belt that goes in many directions, the one that sits right behind the radiator fan near the front of the engine bay. Is this the serpentine belt, fan belt, or something else?
  • Options
    If it turns out our Trooper has this problem again, even though the part was replaced under warranty about 20-25k miles ago, can/should I expect any kind of relief from the dealer or Isuzu USA? Or am I pretty much stuck with the bill?
  • Options
    Service advisor just told my wife that somebody left a cordless screwdriver in the engine compartment. That somebody was me. Still waiting to hear from dealer how much damage, if any, was done. I'm starting to think my wife is right - that I should never touch our vehicles again. Don't know how I could have forgotten to take the screwdriver out of the engine compartment when I was done with it last night.
  • Options
    If you are somewhat handy you should be able to do the serpentine belt (the one you can see under the hood), the lubes, the shock change and yes eventually the spark plug change yourself. In the future you may want to do some more postings before you start your work. I think we ALL learn more from reading such "hey what are the tips for doing . . . " postings.

Based on the manual I don't see that a Trooper, at least my 99, needs or even can be aligned at all 4 wheels. A good front alignment (trim height, camber, caster and toein) is probably $75 or more.

Smart move in packaging the timing belt, water pump ect. You should do the same for the brakes, wheel bearings, and brake fluid flush. Having not had these done by a shop my lousy guess is that you are looking at maybe $600 for the former and about 1/2 that for the later if you don't need rotors. Count on at least 1/3rd more if you have the dealer do the work.

As to your coil removal, like other people noted you just have to pull a little. They kind of suction themselves in place over time. The next issue is that when you put them back on you don't get a secure pop sound. Thus, you may think they are not on properly when indeed they may be.

As to your PCV valve, it should freely rattle and any gunk that interferes with that is too much. A little oil is normal as some will condense as the engine cools down. Make sure you change it more frequently in the future.

Lastly, maybe it is just me but I assume everybody reads the major Edmunds boards. Thus, redundant posting is not really necessary and like I noted before non-categorized posting makes searching for old posts much more difficult. Just my take.
  • Options
    My wife mentioned to the dealer service advisor that the engine consumes a lot of oil. Wish she hadn't, because I'm not convinced they can cheaply identify the root cause. Advisor says he'd like to do a 'quick flush' to completely replace the engine oil and clean out the EGR valve/passages/system. He said that will greatly help the consumption problem.

Does that sound reasonable? I've heard suggestions that a malfunctioning EGR valve might contribute to higher oil consumption, but I don't recall how.

I'm going to call the dealer back and find out more about this quick flush. I'm not so hot on having all the crap on the bottom of the oil pan get swirled around by some sort of power flush, if that's the type of procedure the advisor is talking about.