Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Pontiac Vibe

Comments

• Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    Most cruise controls do not engage at speeds below 35mph. Why, I do not know.
    Yours may be one of those types.
  • Options
    mjb56mjb56 Member Posts: 170
    That's great news! Ours should be here shortly after next week as the build date is 5/2. To me, this just confirms what a great deal this car is. Particularly from a safety standpoint. With Moon n' Tunes, ABS, Stabilitrak (now w/traction control), Side Curtain Airbags, Auto and Power Package ours came to about $14K (after using our $3K in GM credit card points). That is a great deal compared to anything else I've seen. It's just hard to believe that GM isn't promoting this option if it's in the vehicle. They're really missing the boat here.
  • Options
    mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    Sounds like we got similiar deals. Mine came out to $13,710 but I didn't get side curtain airbags or moon & tunes. Only slight negative I found so far is the engine is a bit underpowered and a bit buzzy. But I knew this before I bought it. That's one reason I didn't go for AWD, I didn't want to give up another 7 HP and add some drive train noise.
    I test drove the Pontiac Sunfire and the Chevy Cavalier. Both had the 140hp Ecotech engine. I have to sdmit it was more powerful and less buzzy but I still liked the Vibe more.
  • Options
    ktcjansenktcjansen Member Posts: 2
    Hey, you guys seem to know everything about this car! I have an '03 that I absolutely love, but it's a basic package, FWD. I'm moving to Indiana and I want to tow a small trailer. I've been told that I could not tow at all, and I've been told that I can but not very much weight.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about traction in the snow. Will snow tires do it? Should I be scared? I have 2 1/2 more years on my loan, so trading in/up isn't really an option.

I'm kicking myself now about not getting AWD or the GT, but at the time I was living in San Diego and doing all city driving. Plus with the GT I probably would have an even bigger problem with cops than I do now (hmmm, maybe red wasn't the smartest choice) :P

Anyway, what do you all think? Is towing a trailer just a pipe dream? All I want is something to dump light but bulky items in, like clothes, bedding, books, my cat...ok, not really, but you guys get the idea... :confuse:
  • Options
    steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    I haven't checked but I believe it's actually rated to tow. 1,000 or 1,500 pounds.

In any event, I've seen them around with hitches on them; I don't tow with mine, but I wouldn't worry about it if done rarely and within the weight limits.

As far as snow: Get snow tires and you'll be better than the average S10 Blazer with all-seasons. Makes all the difference.

-Mathias
  • Options
    maxx4memaxx4me Member Posts: 1,340
    From Edmunds: Maximum Towing Capacity: 1500 lbs.

There are many tow bars which EASILY fit on to the Vibe, and can be installed by the owner: Reese Class I hitch (insta-hitch 77 series) and Draw-Tite Class I hitch (sportframe hitch) simply screw in and take less than 30 minutes to put up. No drilling involved.
    As for the snow, yeah, the AWD is sweet; but snow tires on the front should be more than adequate in the lower 48.
  • Options
    ktcjansenktcjansen Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help Maxx4me and steine13, you guys are the best!

I'm definitely going to do that now. I can't believe the exorbiant costs of rental trucks these days. Not to mention, with the price of gas, it'll be probably almost double the price. Grr.

It's all good though, a hitch is even easier. :shades:
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,149
    A writer with a national magazine is writing an article on 8 cars that are under $20K for families on a budget or as a 2nd or 3rd car. He is looking for parents with young children who have recently purchased or are planning to purchase any one of the following vehicles: VW Jetta the new “Value Edition”, Chevy Cobalt (with SAB), Mitsubishi Galant, Toyota Matrix, Pontiac Vibe, Ford Focus Wagon, Honda Element, Kia Sorento or Dodge Caravan. The writer would like to know if they like it, dislike it, what are the family-style features and what kind of deal did you get on the car? If you fit what the writer is looking for, please email your responses to kholguin@edmunds.com by May 13, 2005.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    When a passanger is present the indicator displays "on". When a passanger is not present the "on" goes out but "off" never comes on. The manual seems to indicate it should display "off" without a passanger. Can anyone confirm this for me? I can see "off" on the indicator during the bulb check when the car is initially turned on.
  • Options
    donthegreekdonthegreek Member Posts: 127
    Anybody know if there's any major changes to the 2006 awd vibe??
  • Options
    raythegermanraythegerman Member Posts: 27
    MikeyOO I have a 2005 AWD Pontaic Vibe...I find the "off" does not display when there isn't a passenger in the passenger seat. If you have a small child, packages, or whatever in the passenger seat it will show "off". I can't blame you for asking the question, as I too was confused by the owner's manual...Maybe for the 2006 models they can explain the display more clearly.
  • Options
    bsnellbsnell Member Posts: 1
    We have started experiencing problems with our 2003 Vibe trying stall on left turns. After coming out of a turn and accelerating, the Vibe will hesitate as though it's not getting fuel and then it will pick up. We are nearing 50,000 miles and are wondering if anyone is experiencing the same problems.
  • Options
    Well, our base Vibe was delivered yesterday and there on the dashboard to the left of the steering wheel was the "Trac Off" switch. I asked the salesman what that was for which he then told me. I said "I thought you told me it didn't have traction control?" I guess it does. Seems odd that GM wouldn't be promoting all the safety features available on this car. We'll be driving it home this afternoon. Can't wait!
  • Options
    We took delivery on the Base Vibe with all the safety stuff last Wednesday. My younger daughter discovered that the vehicle has side curtain airbags in both the front and the rear. I presumed that it was only the front as the brochure, the order sheet and the invoice indicated that "front side curtains" were part of the package. Well, I guess NUMMI made a "running change" because it has both. Pretty neat. Wife loves the vehicle. She took it on a 200 mi trip the second day she had it. Got 34.75 mpg on the first half tank. It's also sort of "sneaky fast" as if you don't watch it, you're going 80 mph on the freeway and it hardly feels like it. Fun vehicle.
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,669
    Mine's an '04 based Vibe with Moon/Tunes and automatic.

In town driving I get about 26 MPG. Highway driving yields about 36 MPG. Mixed, I'm getting about 28-29 MPG.

No problems. I use it to run back and forth to the airport since I travel a lot and for weekend duties to haul mulch, mowers, etc.

It's not a speed demon and the engine is a little buzzy, but it handles well and is comfortable.

I've had no complaints in over a year of ownership.

With all the rebates going on when I bought it (and qualifying for GMS/GMO pricing), a Matrix would have cost more and had less equipment.

Test drove a GT model when shopping. Didn't feel the little extra power at the higher revs was worth the price.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    vibevettevibevette Member Posts: 3
    I just had my engine, with 133k, implode. Timing chain went on I-75. Everything destroyed. Heard chain should b replaced every 60k. Any input. Maintenance was impeccable!
  • Options
    capitanocapitano Member Posts: 509
    I thought the whole point of the chain was to preclude the expensive belt changes.
  • Options
    beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    vibevette: Out of curiousity I looked in the maintenance manual for my wife's ' '03 Vibe. I makes NO mention of either a belt or chain and nothing about changing it as well. It only calls for a check on "valve adjustment" @ 60K for normal usage and every 15K after that. Can't seem to see a inspection port to take a peek inside as on some other OHC engines I've had to verify if it has a chain or belt. If that engine does have a belt then IMHO you were overdue for a change out. If it has a chain then it would seem 133K is a bit premature for a catastrophic failure unless you make a regular habit of visiting the "red line" RPM.

That's gotta cost big bucks to set things right (engine replacement) OUCH ! Let us know how this all shakes out.

Good luck, believer
  • Options
    Its definitely a chain...My mechanic found an engine( used 5 miles on it it was totaled in transport from dealer to dealer). I was told it is used in the Celica and it is recommended by them but this is just hearsay and that is why I posted and hoped to hear from someone in the know. I do not visit TRL frequently in the GT or the Vette but I do put alot of miles on for the job(sales rep). We changed the plugs at 120K and they looked brand new. Two weeks prior to the implosion we got a check engine warning light and my mechanic hooked it up and analyzed and the only thing on the printout was to check the exhaust and catalytic systems. Yes it is expensive as we are planning to check the tranny and clutch while it is disassembled. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you posted.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    that while chains do not require regular replacement, they do occasionally just break. Usually, they make a lot of noise for a few months prior to finally giving up the ghost. Sorry to hear about your huge expense. :-(

BTW, the timing in the Toyota 2ZZ (the Vibe GT's engine) is definitely controlled by a chain, not a belt.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    New engine is in!! Looks and runs like a newbie...should with only 5 miles on it.
    I am pleased after laying out 4k some clutch and tranny maintenance...wish me luck
  • Options
    dannydanny Member Posts: 4
    I am wondering if I can combine the two together. At the GM website it shows $1000 customer cash rebate. Wondering if I can get GM Employee Pricing minus these incentives.

Thanks,
  • Options
    beliverbeliver Member Posts: 155
    danny: The employee pricing applies to all models except Corvette. All cash incentives apply as well plus, IF you have a GM card the "rewards" can also be deducted. Don't get too excited about the "employee pricing" as any good bargainer could probably beat the employee pricing gimmic before they came along. I did !

beleiver
  • Options
    yiggy69yiggy69 Member Posts: 9
    Yes you can. Plus you can get a further $1000 off as a conversion rebate if you own a non-GM car of any kind. So, you get the employee discount and then $2000 further off, all from the dealer.
  • Options
    tickbittytickbitty Member Posts: 250
    Hi guys. I totaled my ford ZX3 last weekend and I'm very sad about it. Now I want a bigger car and would like to avoid a few annoying issues about the focus (pulling the bottom seat cushion forward and wedging behind back seat to get seats flat, cheap fit&finish inside)...
    I am trying to get info on the actual space and size inside a Vibe. Is it considerably larger than the ZX5? Is it about halfway between that and the wagon? Something like that would suit me... I found some 'comparitive' charts but the Vibe cargo info includes the front folded passenger seat, which isn't the figure I was looking for... and the Focus info is either given for the wrong car (sedan or something) or it's given in Litres!

Anyone got info, or can even tell me their opinion of the size and capacity of Vibe versus Focus interior from personal experience?
  • Options
    I bought a 2203 Vibe a few years ago, and I fit in it perfectly, including the center console which was higher in part because it had two levels of storage places to put stuff, one on top of the other. The 2005 that I just bought has a lower, one level, cheaper container console box which does not fix people like me so that I can't rest my right arm or steady my body. Perhaps the new one is okay for shorter people. The Hyundai's and Kia's have an adjustable center console to make it higher or lower to suit different folks. Where can I get this remedied in any way? Thanks.
  • Options
    nortsr1nortsr1 Member Posts: 1,060
    I use a small oblong pillow. Works just fine.
  • Options
    byeriabyeria Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem Clutch first went when car was a month old less than 2000 miles dealer repalced it under warranty.. at 18000 miles clutch went agian no covered under warranty and I replaced it .. Clutch now is slipping again... Has this been adrerssed with Toyota /GM..If so what has been the outcome...
  • Options
    currycookcurrycook Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2003 Vibe we bought new and have 44,000 miles on it. Were looking to get a bigger car and found these boards. Just have to say I will hate to get rid of this car, its been really good. Nothing has gone wrong with it so far. Its not a fancy car but its a real good value with a really decent engine in it. I would really recommend it from our experience so far.
  • Options
    justblaze3justblaze3 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I am interested in buying a new Pontiac Vibe Base. Im opting for the base because I live in the city and will be in a lot of gridlock, so the optional automatic transmission will be very handy. I'm kind of disappointed though in the lack of horsepower the base model offers, and I'm interested in the available supercharger available for the Vibe's base model. Is the increase in pick up and HP the supercharger supplies really significant? Does the supercharger affect the MPG the Vibe gets? and, mostly, is the supercharger worth it? THANKS!
  • Options
    I have a base/auto and while the power is not the greatest, it just squeezes into the acceptable level. I would also like a supercharger but found too many drawbacks in my research. First of all, the supercharger will not work on the 05 and it looks like Pontiac/Toyota has no plans of making one for the 05. The 05 Vibe changed to drive by wire technology making the 03/04 supercharger useless without some redesign. I know there is at least one aftermarket company working on a supercharger for the 05 but then you have the added hassle of adding an expensive/complex non-factory accessory. Even if there was one for the 05, it is expensive, requires premium fuel, and adds a certain level of complexity. If the Vibe doesn't supply the power you need, I think you would be better off in the long run to find a similiar vehicle that does supply the necessary power without modifications.
  • Options
    justblaze3justblaze3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your info. I feel that the vibe has so many other beneftis that i can overlook the low HP... This car seems great, even supercharge-less :)
  • Options
    blujktsblujkts Member Posts: 2
    Can someone point me to a webpage that describes how to program a keyless remote...I bought a replacement off eBay ($4) but no instructions. I AM AWARE I can go to my dealer and have them do it. I want to do it myself. I cant believe its not posted on some blog or discussion page in this vast universe...
  • Options
    Thanks. I wanted something more rigid to rest my arm on and steady myself with when going around corners, etc.in my new 2005 Vibe-the '03 Vibe two compartment console cover was perfect-just the right height to rest ones arm on. I called two pontiac dealers and was referred to Pontiac customer service in Detroit, which told me that the '03 and '04 cover wouldn't fit as the console was redesigned. Not convinced, I called my local Toyota dealer who ordred the higher matrix console cover since their parts guy thought it would fit since, as he said, the cars are the same. It cost $98. total, I installed it in 5 minutes and it fits perfectly-just like the 2003 Vibe that I love.
  • Options
    I wanted something more rigid to rest my arm on and steady myself with when going around corners, etc.in my new 2005 Vibe-the '03 Vibe two compartment console cover was perfect-just the right height to rest ones arm on. I called two pontiac dealers and was referred to Pontiac customer service in Detroit, which told me that the '03 and '04 cover wouldn't fit as the console was redesigned. Not convinced, I called my local Toyota dealer who ordred the higher matrix console cover since their parts guy thought it would fit since, as he said, the cars are the same. It cost $98. total, I installed it in 5 minutes and it fits perfectly-just like the 2003 Vibe that I love.
  • Options
    blujktsblujkts Member Posts: 2
    FOUND IT, THANKS ANYWAYS:

Transmitter Programming

Reprogramming the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver
    Important: The vehicle comes equipped with two
    transmitters. The receiver can be programmed to accept
    up to four transmitters. Additional transmitters are
    available. If the number of transmitters programmed
    exceeds four, the previously programmed transmitters
    will be erased in order, starting with the first
    transmitter.

To program a transmitter, there are 4 modes within the
    remote control door lock receiver.

• Add mode: This mode is used for adding new or
    additional transmitters.

• Rewrite mode: This mode is used to erase all of
    the previously programmed transmitters and should be
    used when installing a new receiver.

• Prohibition mode: This mode is used to erase all
    registered codes and cancel the wireless door lock
    function. Use this mode when the transmitter is lost.

• Confirmation mode: This mode is for confirming
    how many existing transmitters are registered before
    adding any transmitters.

To begin programming, follow the procedure.

Set the following conditions:
    - Ignition off and ignition key out of cylinder.

- All doors closed except drivers door.

- Drivers door is unlocked.

Insert and remove the key from the ignition switch
    twice within 5 seconds.
    After the above operations, close and open the driver
    door twice within 40 seconds. Then insert the key into
    the ignition key cylinder and remove it.
    After the above operations, close and open the driver
    door twice within 40 seconds. Then insert the key into
    the ignition key cylinder and close the door.
    Turn the ignition switch from LOCK to ON and back to
    LOCK at approximately 1 second interval 1to5 times to
    select desired mode.
    - 1 time for add mode

- 2 times for rewrite mode

- 3 times for confirmation mode

- 5 times for prohibition mode

Remove the ignition key from the key cylinder.
    After selecting a mode, the integration relay
    automatically performs the power door LOCK to UNLOCK
    operation within 3 seconds to inform the selected
    mode.
    - In the confirmation mode, when the operation is
    performed twice, it directs that 2 types of
    recognition codes have been registered.

- In the confirmation mode, if the number of the
    registration code is 0 the LOCK to UNLOCK operation is
    automatically performed 5 times.

- If the prohibition mode or confirmation mode is
    selected, registration procedure is completed.

- If the add or rewrite mode has been selected,
    the doors will lock-unlock once or twice at 1 second
    intervals, once for add mode or twice for rewrite
    mode.

- If the confirmation mode is selected, the doors
    will lock-unlock 0 to 2 times at 2 second intervals to
    inform the technician of the number of transmitters
    programmed.

- If the prohibition mode is selected, the doors
    will lock-unlock 0 to 5 times at 1 second intervals.

Registering new recognition codes for the add mode or
    rewrite mode.
    - Within 40 seconds after the add mode or the
    rewrite mode has been selected, press the LOCK and
    UNLOCK buttons on the transmitter simultaneously for
    1.0 to 1.5 seconds. Within 3 seconds after the
    previous operation, press either one of the buttons
    for more than 1.0 seconds.

- Within 3 seconds after the transmitter has been
    turned off, the LOCK and UNLOCK operation will be
    automatically performed once if the registration of
    the recognition code of the transmitter is completed
    correctly. In case the LOCK and UNLOCK operation is
    performed twice, the registration of recognition code
    has failed. Perform the registration procedure from
    the beginning once again.

Press a transmitter button for 2 seconds. The doors
    will lock-unlock once at a 1 second interval to inform
    the technician that the signal has been received from
    the transmitter.
    - If the doors lock-unlock once, the transmitter
    programming has been completed. Go to step 8 to
    continue programming for additional transmitters.

- If the doors lock-unlock twice, the transmitter
    programming is not complete. Go to step 8 to begin the
    transmitter programming again.

If any of the following conditions occur during
    programming, the remote control door lock receiver
    will return to normal operation:

• Any of the doors are opened.

• 40 seconds elapses with no input to the RKE
    module.

• The ignition key is inserted into the key
    cylinder.

• 4 transmitters have been programmed at once.
  • Options
    jeff74jeff74 Member Posts: 6
    why would u need a supercharger in the city? :confuse:
  • Options
    bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I currently own a 99' Regal GSE with the 3800 Supercharged engine. A very flexible powertrain, but I don't know if I would own another sc vehicle. Gas is more expensive, replacement is about a $1000.00 if the supercharger goes after about 100K miles. But the big reason that I don't feel that it is worth it on the Vibe is the cost. Three thousand is a lot for that, especially when the price of a well equipped Vibe is around 20k. A lot better and bigger cars can be had for the same money you would be paying with the Vibe
  • Options
    hillflahillfla Member Posts: 90
    Good news and thanks for the tip! I had heard that the Matrix one would fit - so I'm glad to know that all you need to do is go to your local friendly Toyota dealer and they will fix you right up! One question - do the colors match? As long as they are close I would be happy.
  • Options
    Mine was a graphite color interior, and the Matrix part matched the color exactly. I think that the Vibe and Matrix have the same interior colors exactly. That shouldn't be a problem. It is so much better to have the higher, two compartment console cover.
  • Options
    Do you have the Toyota part # for the graphite one?
  • Options
    It's 58905-02210-B1(Part No.);Description:Door Sub-A
  • Options
    Thanks. I found it on toyotapart.com for $68.
  • Options
    cowbizzcowbizz Member Posts: 3
    Is the part mentioned just the top piece/cover for the console? I just got a 2005 Vibe, and I miss the two part lid on the console. The top section was perfect for small items such as the insurance card, a couple of pens, etc. You didn't replace the entire console did you? Or just the lid piece?
  • Options
    It's just the lid piece, easy to replace, and much better than just the simple cheap console cover on the 2005 Vibe. Get it for under $100. and replace the other cover.
  • Options
    yukon4yukon4 Member Posts: 3
    Attention all owners of 2005 Vibes - did your vehicle INCLUDE the adjustable cross-bars on the roof rack? We are getting conflicting answers on whether or not the cross-bars are or are not included with the car. Without any sort of cross-bar, how on earth can you put anything on the roof rack unless you lay it sideways across the car or allow things to lay right on the roof?

In the brochure for the 2003 Vibe, it clearly states that the roof rack WITH adjustable cross-bars are standard and included with all models of Vibe. Can someone tell me if this is no longer the case with the 2005 Vibe. If so, the roof rack is really not functional with only the siderails, until you make additional purchases, right?

Thanks for any information on this! :)
  • Options
    1. The car comes with the rails, as stated. Certainly the '04 did, which is what I've got.
    2. They're nearly useless. Invest in Yakima or Thule attachments, which will run $150 or so, but now you can actually carry stuff...

For occasional use and light items, I suspect they're OK.
    -Mathias
  • Options
    yukon4yukon4 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Mathias,

Thanks for the reply. I think there might be confusion in terminology here? I agree the 2005 Vibe comes with siderails - ie, the rails that are permanently attached to the roof and run from front to back.

What I am asking about are the cross-bars that attach TO these siderails. The cross-bars run across the car, side to side on the roof and are adjustable and slide along the siderails from front to back. It is the cross-bars that would hold any item you wanted to carry on your roof, such as a piece of lumber or a suitcase, etc. I am interested in whether the cross-bars came standard with the '05 Vibe. Some say yes some say no. Without them, nothing can go on the roof.

So '05 Vibe owners, are there sliding cross-bars included with your Vibe?

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    No confusion.

I'm referring to the crossbars that came with the car...
    EDIT 9:54 p.m.: with my car anyway (2004)
    Apparently they are an accessory for 2005. Be glad you didn't pay for them...

They're also not very good... a suitcase or some lumber, OK, but I carry a canoe (or God forbid, two of 'em) and for anything of that magnitude, you have to go with the aftermarket crossbars. Maybe a bicycle, but then you need an attachment that'll go to the factory crossbars... IMO, they are mostly ornamental.

You see, those skinny factory bars restrict the width of whatever you carry to be 30" or so, and I can't even carry my smallest boat. Also, the stupid rack is too far back, so whenever I carry anything, I put on Yak Q towers in front and Rail Riders in back... now you're cooking with gas, but it's still limited to 75 lbs.

A Focus wagon has a load limit of 220 lbs.... now THAT is a roof rack!

-Mathias
  • Options
    Cross-bars are an accessary item in 05 and not included with the car.