Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Engine problems with 2004 Lincoln Aviator

mrgregory29mrgregory29 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2018 in Lincoln
Was getting ready to drive to San Antonio and my check engine light came on. Took it into the dealership and got some bad news. The guy said I had a burnt valve in the #8 exhaust. He said something about if you replace one side you might as well replace the other side. He said it would be best to replace the whole cylinder head. He called me back with a price and he said $7,147 to replace the cylinder head!!!!! Or he said I could replace the whole engine for $6,600. I definitely want to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion cause I know nothing about vehicles and plus they're pretty much the only place in town so I don't know how much he's trying high ball it. Anyone have an idea about what's really going on from what I've explained? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    This is a known proble with the Aviator engine. Many posts are on here detailing the problem including my own. Ford should but has not recalled the engine. If it is under warranty, it is a free engine rebuild, otherwise it is on your nickle. Push them for the fact that this is a known problem. The Ford deal can cough up $1500 for discretionary warranty work and the zone rep can give you an additional $1000 if your show all oil change receipts.

Either way, you will have to rebuild the engine. Mine was done by a Ford dealer for $5500. At least mine had air conditioned seats.. hope yours does. Driving a Lexus now! Cheapest car to own! Best resale value!

I sold mine at 77K. Engine rebuild at 52K, just 2000K out of warranty.
  • labellstone1labellstone1 Member Posts: 1
    I have had problems w/ my Lincoln Aviator 04 model since it hit 50,000 miles. After doing some digging on the internet I found a voluntary service recall was issued b/c of a defect during the manufacturing process on the coil packs. My car has shut down completely while driving 3 times now. No steering or breaks and kids in the car. Ford could care less... the coil packs are covered up to 120,000 miles... So don't let them charge you for replacements
  • horriblemesshorriblemess Member Posts: 1
    Thank you for confirming reality!! For nearly 7 years now, I've been told by the Ford dealership there is "nothing wrong" with my 2004 Aviator. I began complaining at 8K miles and now that it has 55K miles, the problems are 10 fold. My SUV misfires, slips in and out of gears, stalls at stop signs and lights, accelerates at stop lights into oncoming traffic, and now needs a $4K transmission, along with ABS repair. Occasionally when the AC is turned on, there is a very loud clunk sound. One only knows what that is. I absolutely WILL file a complaint with the NHTSA, now that I've been exposed to the organization, thanks to you. I agree, these vehicles are dangerous and need to be recalled. WE need to stand together and get these vehicles fixed.
  • jeycuejeycue Member Posts: 2
    I have the same scenario on my 2004 aviator currently have 80000 miles on it. I just heard the engine loud noise several days ago. I took it to MIDAS yesterday and found out that noise are coming from timing belt tensioner. they check the oil and it is OK & it is not a maintenance issue so theres no really clear indication what causes the problem inside the engine. They need to tear it down to find out. Initial cost guestimates is between $2500 to $3500. They will get back to me today or tomorrow as to what cause this problem. I agree with you horriblemess, we need to stand together to address the issue. Let me know what I need to do to back up your complaint
  • lincolnguy1lincolnguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Jeycue,

Aviators have timiing chains not belts....and yes the noise you hear upon start up is the tensioner. Dont worry about this it is not a concern.....it stops because the oil pressure builds and quiets the noise. Just try a thicker oil 5/20weight and other than the noise upon start up its really no concern. Save your 3 grand!!!
  • alreadytaken68alreadytaken68 Member Posts: 4
    I started have the same problem with my 2004 Aviator when I hit 51000. What site did you find the voluntary service recall? I have looked but I am not that good searching the internet. If you could reply where to find the voluntary recall I would appreciate it very much. Thank you for your time.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    There's an extended warranty on coil assemblies. The Edmunds Maintenance Guide has a list of TSBs and that's where I see it.
  • norcalimamanorcalimama Member Posts: 1
    Since the first day I drove my brand new Lincoln nightmare off the lot I've had trouble with the transmission, the drive line, the coils,the rear end etc! Now my Suv acts like its stalling out. It feels like its jerking back.I'm now of course well out of even the extended warranty. I am at a loss what to do. Has anyone experienced that jerking sensation with theirs. My check engine light came on but went off after we changed the air filter :confuse:
    My 2004 Lincoln Aviator did not actually stall but would miss or misfire. My engine light came on and the problem was cylinder 8 misfire, code P0308. I only had 51,000 miles but it was out of warranty. The work was done free at the dealership as this is a factory problem. There is a 'voluntary' recall (meaning you have to be the one to locate and know about this recall) for the coil packs. Have you had a diagnostic done? Some places charge and some don't. I had the diagnostic done free of charge where I get the oil changed. The damaged coil packs were fixed about 3 weeks ago and it now runs great. Much better gas mileage also.
  • jccoro4jccoro4 Member Posts: 1
    I have had my 2004 Lincoln Aviator for 2 years now. The first year was good and like everyone else is saying, right after 50,000 miles hit, it was repair time. Started with coil pks and the dealer only found 2 that needed to be replaced. After that my husband had to replace the rest because the said the others were fine when it still had the jerky feel. So, all coil pks have been replaced and then ran great for a few weeks. Then, radiator, AC and timing chain go out all at the same time. The thing is sitting in the shop as I speak and I am looking for another car online. I love the room and look of it but, I can't take the repairs anymore, it's draining my account. So, plz don't invest in this car. I am in the same boat as other owners wishing they would recall this car.
  • natefromaznatefromaz Member Posts: 1
    I had same problem. I bought a new Lincoln Aviator in 2004. Check engine light came on at 78K miles. It was diagnosed to be #8 Cylinder and requires replacement for $5500 and also transmission also needed to be replaced. Dealer said Ford will not cover. I had to spend $7500 outside to have the Cylinder, Transmission and Solenoid Coils replaced. I would not buy Ford again and I will be glad to be part of a Class Action law suit if others had and having similar problems. Ford has a design problem and would not want to accept and cover the costs of repair. The KBB value is over $10K and I spent $7500 for the repairs. Horrible quality.
    It sounds to me like your Ford Dealer did not research ANYTHING. Ford has a voluntary recall (means you have to find it) issued for the coil pack for up to 120,000 miles and I believe for 10 years. You didn't say how many miles were on your car. Our Ford dealer was great and replaced several of the coil packs. If your car has less than 120,000. I would go back to the Ford dealer. Good Luck!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    edited September 2011
    It's not a voluntary recall (that's an oxymoron). It's an extended warranty and it only covers the coil packs, not the head itself which is the problem here.
  • chaosalwayschaosalways Member Posts: 1
    Ok.. so like everyone else I've got problems with my Aviator too... Not sure whats up... Its eating coolant.. no visible leaks, oil isn't milky like most suggest that a head gasket is gone... there is no puddles on the ground, I added some to the cold fill line monday after it over heated, took it to a shop in town, they tested the coolant for exhaust fumes or something that would suggest that the head gasket was going, nothing, there appears to be a lot of water in the exhaust.. just lots on the ground from reving the engine... we put damn near 8L of coolant in the rad... thermostat appears to be working alright... but again monday night I added about 1/2L of coolant and again today added more... and again no leaks... This is time number three its overheaded.. monday it was cool outside and just above 0 degrees C.... the mechanics couldn't find anything visibly wrong with it and when hooked up to the scanner still found nothing.. I have no clue what to do with this vehicle.. I really like it but if this is going to persist then its GONE!!!
    anyone else have any issues like this?? someone suggested i change the rad cap? it appears like there is an air lock somewhere..... :mad:
  • weatherall78weatherall78 Member Posts: 1
    Do you know where i might be able to locate any recall information??
    NHTSA website. But I don't think there were any safety recalls.
  • gtennysogtennyso Member Posts: 2
    i have a 2004 lincoln aviator that constantly overheats. i have paid a total of $1000 to two separate dealerships - Concord Ford and Future Ford Roseville to replace thermostat, flush radiator and research problem. Now I learn the head is warped and it needs to be remachined. Estimate is $7000 for the work. What are my options?
    No choice but to repair or replace the head. I believe you can replace one for $4500 or so. Check around.
  • gtennysogtennyso Member Posts: 2
    what is the best way to part out an aviator. i need a new head and don't want to invest to get in fixed. would rather cut my losses.
  • rob569rob569 Member Posts: 1
    @mrgregory29, I can surely understand your fraustration with you Lincoln Aviator, I have had cars in the past that just no matter what did not run will, but starting in 2001 I have own nothing but Fords. 1999 Expedition for six years, wife totaled. 2003-1994 Ford Prob accident (rear ended), 2005-1997 Prob sold when I moved to Georgia. 2006-2004 Lincoln Aviator CS(California Special), which I still have and until last year started to have problem with power steering whining noise. 2007-2007 Mecury Milan, which I still have and have had no major issues still running like a top along with my Aviator. I tell you I swear by Ford, they have made a great product. Still that is my experience you have not had much luck with yours. 5 cars in over a decade and no major mechanical issues new and used.
  • kevinplayerkevinplayer Member Posts: 1
    very simple and easy to do. remove 2 bolts remove cover, press down the release on the coil wire, slide out the coil, replace with an ACCEL 140034-8 4 Super Coil Kit you can find online for around 172.00 for all eight. takes 10 to 15 minutes to replace all 8.
    Has anyone had a problem with their 2004 aviator in their heating or cooling at the rear of the vehicle. I think the hear or air in the rear has been turned on MAYBE 2 times since I purchased it in 2004. I don't even use the heat at thr front although I do use the air. Everything is turned off and I still get a click, click, click at the rear on the driver's side. These clicks are about 1 second apart. Nothing I do will turn it off. Any suggestions? Thanks
  • cgrosshartcgrosshart Member Posts: 1
    i'm sorry for all you people with problems. i've got a 2004 luxury model aviator that just turned 242000 miles as of 4-16-18 i have ford to do all my service on it since new. change oil every 4000 miles, have had the transmission serviced twice in that time period and last year had to have frt. hubs replaced, was pretty expensive. a beautiful vehicle inside and a joy to drive and my grandkids love the dvd movie player. i'm not saying i take better care of it than anyone else maybe i just been lucky. the only compliant i have is the fuel mileage but cadillacs are just as bad. final note everything on this vehicle still works. this is 90% highway driving.