Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    powderfingerpowderfinger Member Posts: 21
    After reading the board I decided to take a GT test drive. I also read an article about the GT that was generally very positive. There was a couple of points that stuck out: one driver noted that the manual transmission was as smooth and notchless as a Civic transmission and that the fit and finish were good.

I never would have believed it, but the manual transmission was in fact very good based upon my test drive. I was surprised by this and also by the general quality and finish of the materials.

There were some details that did fit some of the stereotypes I had about Hyundai's. The design and execution of the interior was not up to the quality of VW's, Honda's, etc. The dash reminded me of a 1988 Pontiac Bonneville, with its sweeping instrument pod that swept down to the shifter. The buttons and switches seemed as though they were (square) afterthoughts, instead of being integrally designed within the dash.

When I first sat in the GT, it felt as though it was more spacious than other compacts. It does in fact have more room, though the high cowl contributes to a "chunky" feel to the interior. The interior trim is very thick where it meets the doors, which makes also make it seem chunky.

While the shifter was excellent, the powertrain was less impressive. The engine was a little reluctant to rev, though it does move the car well due to the higher torque offered by the 2.0L engine. The engine clearly wasn't the smoothest I have tested and like other compacts generated noise when rev'ed high. I have driven everything from Cavalier's to RSX's. The Hyundai engine was as quiet at rest as an RSX/Corolla/Civic. I was surprised how quiet the Elantra was at rest. (I found that the Protege5, which is a good car, had some vibration during rest).

On paper, this car should perform similarly to a Civic Si. It is 100LBS lighter (at least according to the brochure), has about the same torque which helps to make up for the 20 HP deficiency. The Si's drove as if it was faster, if only for the fact that the freer rev-ing engine was more convincing. In fact, the Si is about a second faster to 60MPH. Paper specs are only worth so much!

One styling detail about the GT that I liked was it's hatchback design. It really doesn't look like anything else on the road, either wagon or hatchback. It reminds me of the 1980's Mazda 626 "notchback", which was a hatchback that looked like a sedan. When I first saw the GT, I had to look carefully to be sure it wasn't the sedan, because the GT does look a lot like the sedan.

All the downsides I found with the GT can be forgiven when you consider the price. However, there is one deal breaker for me and that's the crash test results. Check them out here: http://www.highwaysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/0103.htm (hmm. the Institute shows that the GT weighs 200LBS more than Hyundai indicates. Who's correct?). The GT isn't even average in crash rating, it's the worst. I can conclude that Hyundai either doesn't think it's customers are concerned about safety, or that they just chose to invest their engineering dollars in better equipment and trim.

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Yes, the reluctance of Hyundai to address the two problems identified in the IIHS frontal offset crash test--late-deploying driver's front air bag and driver's seat that moves too far forward on its track--is disappointing. Their official position is that they believe the IIHS' tests to be anomalies, which did not occur when they did their own tests. When a similar late-deployment problem was uncovered with the Jeep Liberty, DaimlerChrysler issued a recall to add extra insulation to the air bag sensor wires (they could be cut in a crash, causing a short). Hyundai and its customers would be a lot better off if they would find the cause of the problem and issue a recall. They are losing new customers, as powderfinger's post and others have pointed out, and more importantly they risk losing current customers permanently, should they be in a frontal offset crash. The good news is that the structural integrity of the Elantra scored very high in the IIHS test, and it did well in the NHTSA crash tests. Thus if they can fix the air bag problem and the seat track problem, they could wind up with a car that has one of the best crash test ratings in its class, instead of the worst. More sales for Hyundai, more peace of mind for its customers.

BTW, a second slower than a Civic Si for about $5000 less MSRP doesn't sound all that terrible to me. I am curious, where did you get the 0-60 times for the GT and the Si? A recent car mag review (can't recall if it was AutoWeek or someone else) clocked the GT 0-60 in 8.0 seconds. I find it hard to believe the Si could do 7 seconds.
  • Options
    wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    backy observed --

"A recent car mag review (can't recall if it was AutoWeek or someone else) clocked the GT 0-60 in 8.0 seconds. I find it hard to believe the Si could do 7 seconds."

Neither can I. MotorWeek (PBS) was the one to do the GT test and achieve 8 seconds in the 0-60 test. They also managed a 60-0 braking distance (without ABS) of 124 ft.

The link to the GT evaluation is --

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2111.shtml

MotorWeek also tested the 160hp/132lb.ft 2002 Civic Si and got 7.6 secs for 0-60 and 128 ft for 60-0.

The link to the Si evaluation is --

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/reviews/rt2124a.shtml

• Options
    th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I understand your points about the elantra... but some counterpoints I can offer.... for the interior and the rest of the car... compare the gt to a SAAB and you will see many similarities. i know what you are saying when you compare the interior dash area to the 88 bonneville, but the main idea is that the controls are canted toward the driver with the stereo and A/c units set right where I can reach them. and the comment about the square design of the controls... at least they impart a quality feel and look about them in contrast to the bonneville and any GM product... I'm guessing you liked the gupy fishtank desing of the last ford taurus (ICK!)

Fit and finish are better than anything its class but the mazda protege (the black textured plastic is the special touch) this includes: civic, sentra, focus, altima, lancer etc...
    elantra interior bits are finished well unlike civic with its exposed unfinished edges on the plastic (doors) and universally black dash panels (cost cutting move)
    doors slam shut with a solid sounding thump onb the elantra...cant say that about any other car in its class...

chunky is a word I'd associate with the feeling of being safe and secure... good when you inside a car...better than sleek thin and exposed

the thing with the engine.. yes it does not rev as freely as a honda... but it is a 2.0 and not a 1.6 or 1.8... it does not have Vtec but it sure as hell moves when I rev it past 3700rpm Vtec or not. The feeling of speed is very well suppressed in the elantra due to its massive use of insulation and damping compared to a civic. SI gearing is totally different than elantra GT.

I respect honda's for their engine technology and their trannies but not their cars...my GT is almost the same interior size as an accord... I have features that a civic owner could only dream about... I have a bigger engine...bigger trunk...and i don't see anyone with the same car I have every 2 seconds... (imagine looking for a silver civic in a parking lot full of em...hahah) but I respect any opinion..
    ;P
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    powderfinger

"While the shifter was excellent, the powertrain was less impressive. The engine was a little reluctant to rev, though it does move the car well due to the higher torque offered by the 2.0L engine."

I think anyone who has owned an Elantra will attest to the fact that Hyundais come from the factory with a very "tight" engine. When I first received my car I was not happy with the performance. After 5K miles the car gets up and goes quite well. This goes for the GT or GLS.

"On paper, this car should perform similarly to a Civic Si. It is 100LBS lighter (at least according to the brochure), has about the same torque which helps to make up for the 20 HP deficiency."

I know you are talking about the new Si. My last car was a 94 Civic Si and the GT is just as quick as my 94 Si. The difference is lack of VTEC.
    Where my 94 was linear all across the rev range most of the GTs speed is at the top end.
  • Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    I know I keep posting some of the cool "unexpected" features of the GT but I discovered yet another one today. You can still put the windows up and down after you shut off the car. I'm not sure how long it gives you but I discovered that this morning and am continuing to be impressed!

Jeff
  • Options
    dougndodougndo Member Posts: 136
    In addition to checking the Edmunds site every day for the Hyundai forums, I also check out MacSurfer's Headline News as I am an avid Mac user. (Please, no "get a real PC" flames, just as we don't want to hear "get a real car" when someone sees us in our Hyundais.)

Anyway, an Elantra GT owner set up a Web page using Apple's iTools to highlight the merging of car and iPod, Apple's portable digital device. Some of the pictures are a little fuzzy, but overall it's a good effort. Take a look.

http://homepage.mac.com/idrivex/PhotoAlbum42.html

• Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    "I think anyone who has owned an Elantra will attest to the fact that Hyundais come from the factory with a very "tight" engine. When I first received my car I was not happy with the performance. After 5K miles the car gets up and goes quite well. This goes for the GT or GLS."

I can concur with the above. In fact when I bought the GT I was moaning the fact that I missed my turbo-charged Shadow. 6k miles later, I am surprised that the GT can push me back into my seat. Still not the equal of a turbo, but better than when I first bought it. It feels zippy. Though I wonder if it is the suspension breaking in (loosening up) as much as the engine?
  • Options
    boardwlkboardwlk Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 2001 GT with about 5500 miles on it - it has everything I want, except ABS/Traction Control. Can I get these installed as an afterthought from the dealer? Is it prohibitively expensive?
  • Options
    gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    I also second 5port's observation about Hyundai's coming from the factory with "tight" engines. I've got about 7,000 miles now and the improved performance is quite noticeable. Also, my gas mileage has improved from about 31mpg to better than 34mpg on my last three tanks. Some of this may be attributable to summer blend gas, but a looser engine has got to be more efficient.

bpi - in response to your question about the Mercedes/Hyundai quality surveys, it took me a while to find the article on the net again. It turns out that it's Strategic Vision, not JD Power, that did the survey. Hyundai was second only to Lexus for total value as ranked by customers after three month of ownership. My guess is that Hyundai owner's lower expectations may have something to do with the high ranking, but it sure seems like Hyundai owners really like their cars.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2001-10-02-surveys.htm

• Options
    already? man I wonder what the story was behind that car/ owner?
  • Options
    bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    Entry midsize car — Vokswagen Jetta
    Premium midsize car — Toyota Avalon

So these two are in the same size category but in different price categories.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Kinda weird. I thought the Jetta was compact or subcompact, and the Avalon was full-sized.
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I have noticed that on cool crisp days my GT seems to have a more noticible pep. I believe the GT would take nicely to a cold air intake. I have not done this myself but will likely do so in the future.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Good ol' J.D. Power, classifying the Jetta as a midsize. That would be Passat, not Jetta. Not surprising from the organization that gives awards to "Most Appealing Cupholders in an Upscale Mid-Luxury Economy Sedan in Sandstone Metallic Built in Biloxi"

On the other hand, I used a comparator (on Edmunds? can't remember) for the Elantra GT and a Saab 9-3. With nearly identical inside and outside dimensions, the Saab is a midsize and the Elantra a compact. The only significant difference between the two was horsepower. Go figure.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I don't think its possible to add ABS after the fact. It involves a lot of modification and would be way too expensive to bother.
  • Options
    wgi1wgi1 Member Posts: 2
    I was reading back on the message board and there was mention of "no trunk release". I don't see why you would need one in a hatchback with the door handle right on the back.
    On another topic, i just got a new GT and am following the break-in advice in the manual (keep under 55mph/4,000rpm for 1st 1200 miles). Am i being too cautious? Does anyone else ever do this? *I plan to keep this car for a long time.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    but keeping the revs down and varying the speed regularly (i.e. trying not to put it on cruise control.)

Hyundai's recommendation for under 55 is a bit conservative IMHO. Even 60+ in fifth isn't exactly pushing the engine. Driving 55 in some places could get you run over. Also very important not to let engine lug.

As has been stated many times, the Hyundai engine gets better as it loosens up. My car has 18K, burns absolutely no oil between changes and revs a lot better now than it did when new. My mileage has never been as good as some report, even though I'm a non-aggressive driver. Low 30's on the highway and about 26-27 mixed, mostly urban driving. Mileage improved after the first 5K.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    My engine is getting better, too, with over 11K since July. I recently have been winding it out to nearly 5K rpm to merge onto the freeway, or just for kicks. That's conservative to some, but unusual for me. Who can resist a little fun? My oil experience has been the same as yours: no need to add, and it keeps its nice amber color.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Remember when people thought having to wear seat belts violated their rights? Now people are comparing offset crash results. Concur that Hyundai could do a better job addressing this. Especially when the momentum is going their way.
  • Options
    I picked this up from Edmunds.com's latest long-term test report on the PT Cruiser (emphasis mine):

"Later in the month, we used our PT Cruiser as a substitute for a 2002 PT Cruiser press vehicle. We were supposed to receive an '02 Dream Cruiser edition to be used in a four-door hatchback comparison test we were conducting, but a scheduling error on Chrysler's part prevented the vehicle from showing up in time. Rather than conduct the test without a PT, we called our long-termer out of the bullpen.

"The comparison test included a Ford Focus ZX5, Mazda Protegé5, Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, Suzuki Aerio SX and a Toyota Matrix XR. It was interesting to pit our PT against similar vehicles."

You'll notice there's no Elantra GT in the above list. What is this, a conspiracy? First C/D, now Edmunds.com ignores the GT. I know that CR is planning a hatchback test also--I wouldn't be surprised if they ignored the GT also.
  • Options
    I came home after work tonight and lo and behold... a ford focus in the driveway...turns out my father brought the Jag in for a recall repair and got a focus as a loaner car.
    I decided to take it out for a spin and got in the car... sit down... man this seat is flat, no seat height adjustment,

close the door:side of the door is smack right up against my seat, no gap, and lots of hard plastic pieces to make up the door

there was no dome light, I reach to put the key in the ignition.... ends up I have to contort my wrist backwards to put key in...lights on... dial is found on dash a la benz..

spend 5 minutes trying to find a comfy driving position...end up settling for something resembling my mom's seating position. non adjustable steering wheel and awkward pedal placement is to fault (gas pedal is waay farther away than brake)

No Tach...and there's that funky upside down styling... Armrest... ok good idea but its the type found in my moms accent. and it gets in the way of the handbrake release

look up in rearview mirror.. man that thing is tiny... can't see the front or back ends of the car. did I mention the engine sounds worse than my neigbor's old lawnmower? reach for the power windows.. get a crank...

drive around for a abit... feels like im riding high in a boat.. have to slow down a lot to feel comfy in turns and the steering shudders when used. raspy engine sound... got out after 15 min and had to go drive in my GT to calm myself down...

looked on ford.com MSRP for the rental car was 14,280, invoice as posted was 13,463
    thats more than I paid for my GT
    soo glad I overlooked this car...
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Well, they might SAY hatchback, but look at the cars they're comparing. The Impreza Outback Sport, Auzuki Aerio, and Toyota Matrix are all wagons (no matter what Toyota says about "crossover utility." The Focus ZX5 and Protege5 are hatchbacks in name only, and are much closer to being small wagons the way the back is configured, with the near-vertical rear window. The Elantra GT is definitely a different type of vehicle...closer to the "Fastback" type of hatchback, where the rear window is closer to a 30-45 degree angle from thebeltline of the car.
  • Options
    The rental must have been an LX. You'd need to go to the SE to get a tilt/telescoping wheel. But even the LX is supposed to have a height-adjustable driver's seat--maybe the control was wedged down in that inaccessible area between the seat and door? The car probably had the base engine too. It would probably drive better in the up-market ZTS trim--but for a lot more cash.

Before I bought my Elantra, I looked closely at the Focus, and drove several as rental cars. The experiences with the rental cars convinced me to strike the Focus off my list.
  • Options
    That which we call a hatchback
    by any other name
    would haul as much.
  • Options
    actually... the elantra is bigger than the matrix even... except when it comes to headroom lose by an inch... in all dimensions and can haul more when seats are folded (elantra GT is 7 inches longer.) and with all the money I saved i can make my car as fast as an IS SportCross
    Backy... i know but my point was... soo expensive for such a bare bones car...
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    The Elantra may be 7 inches longer, but it's storage area is shorter HEIGHT wise because of the rear windshield...that will also affect storage space, plus ability to load bulky items. They used to make a wagon version that would be more comparable to a Matrix, but they discontinued it, it seems...maybe they didn't want to take sales away from the SantaFe.
  • Options
    centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    I just read the comparison test in Car and Driver and was also disappointed to see the Protege5 in 1st, but no GT. Also, I am researching the GT and I liked web sites like the one Wayne Moses has. Does anyone know of any other small sites about the GT?
  • Options
    to increase carrying capacity.. as with all hatches... leave the hatch open.... hahaha
    cant do that with a wagon... hehe
  • Options
    ezwjraiaezwjraia Member Posts: 9
    Just returned from the local dealer's service department where they were unable to determine the reason my map light will turn itself on (both sides) when I hit a rough patch of road. I can only turn it off by pressing up on the forward section of the console while simultaneously pulling down the rear section. Before I discovered this, I drove about ten miles before the light turned itself off. I assumed that it was a loose connection, but the service manager assured me that all connections were fine, and to bring it in with the light on the next time it happens.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so, I would most appreciate hearing how it was fixed. Other than this intermittent issue, and difficulty in reading the odometer/trip computer, I continue to be delighted with this car.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ezwjraia

"I assumed that it was a loose connection, but the service manager assured me that all connections were fine, and to bring it in with the light on the next time it happens."

I havent had the problem you are having with the maplight. However my maplight had a rattle when going over the highway expansion joints. I inserted a piece of gray cardboard under the rear of the maplight housing (between the headliner and the plastic cover). Rattle is gone.

" and difficulty in reading the odometer/trip computer, I continue to be delighted with this car."

Yes, the trip computer can be difficult to see when it is not backlit. Please remember not to wear polarized sunglasses when looking at an LCD display. It will look black.
  • Options
    calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    1. A car reviewer claims that the Michelin Energy tires on the GTi(in Canada) are not the best for road handling and braking/stopping, even with ABS. Any opinion on the subject?
    2. As the case may be, what would be an acceptable alternative to the Michelin (195/60R15)?
    3. Anybody with figures on dollars paid for a GTi in Canada (Ontario) recently?
    The GTi is the loaded version -- it has everything.
    I will most probably purchase a GTi within the next 10-12 days.
    This forum a wealth of info.
  • Options
    What is the GTi?
  • Options
    barra1barra1 Member Posts: 2
    calamus:

I got my GTi about 2 weeks ago in Ottawa. Black color for a total sale price of $20,857 Still have to add frieght of $380, AC tax of $100 fuel consumtion tax of $75 and admin fee of $249.

centarfor: The GTi is what I think the Americans call package 11. Leather, moonroof, ABS etc...
  • Options
    uz2bphastuz2bphast Member Posts: 12
    The michelin energy tires are supposedly better than the tires hyundai previously put on the elantra gt,

Unfortunately they are not very good tires. They could be wider and have a lower profile.

If you go to tire rack (or any other on line tire site) they have a tire size calculator for the rim size.

As you will see you will have the choice of performance, high end performance, all season performance etc. They will show you all choices that will fit with a rating.

Fortunately to just change from the stock michelins to a better tire in not very expensive.

at most 100 bucks a corner but usually a lot less
  • Options
    My dealer was mentioning something about a GT one, is that the same thing?
  • Options
    uz2bfast

The MXV4s are expensive tires for sure. I rate them as GOOD in all weather conditions. That being said, I dont like michelins do to their soft side wall. I am looking to switch also when they wear out. Keep in mind a big part of the quiet smooth ride on the GT is coming from the MXV4s. Of the two tires you mentioned, I have had both on previous cars :

Potenza RE92
    Original equipment on a lot of cars. Good in most conditions. Fairly quiet. Snow performance is so,so.

Firestone SH30
    I put these on my 94 CivicSi. Very good rain performance, Good snow performance, great dry tires. Now here's the problem...they are quiet in the beginning. After the little computer generated sipes wear down they are very LOUD when braking to a stop. You will think you are in a SUV with huge tires on it. The noise started after about 10K miles. Other than that good tires.
  • Options
    barra1barra1 Member Posts: 2
    centarfor: Yes, GTi and GT1 are used in exchange for each other up here. Seems to depend on the dealer.
  • Options
    dimsom30dimsom30 Member Posts: 10
    Hey everyone, just wanted to drop in and say hi! I'm a college student and looking to buy a 2002 Elantra GT before the end of the year for sure. This board has been a great deal of help with info and first handers...when i get mine, i'll be sure to share...btw, planning to get a Elantra GT in pewter, maybe a moonroof...not sure yet. And if i cna't find pewter, i'll be getting the carbon blue =)
  • Options
    anybody notice better acceleration when playing with the accelerator than flooring it and keeping it there (auto tranny), also kinda notice a dead spot when I shift into 4th at full throttle... from stop... around 3900rpms... i guess its right before the 4000-4300rpm kick that is given by the muffler.... it gets out of the chugga chugga range...(gonna add som umph to it by changing a few things)
    and 17 in tires do a hell of a job to improve the look of the car for anyone who wants to go lo profile...
  • Options
    margate11margate11 Member Posts: 1
    Had my GT for 6 weeks now and I love it. My dealer wants $1118.00 for the extended 10 yr. warentee. How does that compare with other GT owners.
  • Options
    usually a 100% markup minimum. Why would you want to buy such a thing, especially with a car with a good basic warranty?
  • Options
    They are like a pre-service payment. At least, i think about it this way. It's like paying $1118.00 (margate11's amount) for future service. Say the service after the warrenty expires is about $600. Well then you just paid $1118 ($518 over) what you should have paid. It's like parying for service you didn't recieve. my opinion...don't get it, it's a waste =)
  • Options
    missdevilredmissdevilred Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

Could anyone tell me the differences between the 2001 and 2002 GT's? The dealership I am thinking of purchasing from has a 2001 (new, just a leftover) with everything I want, and claims to not have the 2002 with the same features. He says they are the same vehicle, that there have been no redesigns of anything. Is this true? Can anyone confirm this?

Many thanks!
  • Options
    but I think the 01 and a half, and 02 GT's are identical. The 01's were only out for a few months.

One exception might be that some of the earliest models had "comfort suspension" which was identical to GLS. Of course an 01 is officially a year older and will have bigger depreciation, on the other hand all Hyundai's should be driven into the ground to avoid the heavy depreciation.

In summary, I'd think an 01 would be perfectly OK, as long as the dealer further adjusted the selling price. He should, to get it off his lot.
  • Options
    username2kusername2k Member Posts: 2
    I just bought an Elantra GT. It's the first new car I have purchased. I previously have owned used Honda Civic hatchbacks.

After I signed on the dotted line for the GT, I discovered the Mazda Protege 5 -- almost a deadringer for the oldtime Honda Civic hatchback.

I purchased the GT instead, because of price, but now I am second-guessing myself. The Pro5 seemed like "me" and the GT doesn't.

But now, of course, it is too late. The Hyundai resale value being what it is, I expect to own it for a long time. (And I don't expect to have the money for another new car for as long.)

I would appreciate any comments telling me why the GT is a good choice over the Pro5 and why I shouldn't beat myself up.

(Thanks in advance!)
  • Options
    uz2bphastuz2bphast Member Posts: 12
    I had the same thoughts.

The GT is better equiped than the MP5 it has more power and of course the price is lower.

As for resale unless you intend to sell the car after 2 years leasing would have been a better decision than purchasing.

purchasing is a better decision if you actually keep your car longer than 4 years. After which re-sale value has much less meaning.

If you did a test drive with the MP5 you would have found the GT to be a nicer ride.

One last bonus, you won't see a lot of GT's on the road as you would with the MP5
  • Options
    Keep in mind that the cost of the extended warranty is more than $1118. You get no value for that money until Year 6. So factor in the cost of interest on that money for the first five years. Shoot, figure interest on 10 years; that money could easily double in 10 years. So the question is, what are the odds of your car needing more than $2000 in non-powertrain repairs in years 6-10? And keep in mind that normal wear items like tires, mufflers, brake shoes, belts/hoses etc. are not covered. One plus for the extended warranty is that it could help you get more money for the car if you sell it before year 10; it's fully transferrable.
  • Options
    Just fyi, i researched and driven most compacts in search for the one i want to buy. After reading about everything i could find, the GT even if it was priced the same, i was get it still. VW's seem to have defects and probs with their interior and engines, CIVICs don't give you anything and are like driving tin cans, toyotas are nice, but don't give much, mazda...so so...just be more original, and don't worry bout resale at all. With the money you save, it'll make up for the depreciation....
  • Options
    difference.. absolutely nothing only as stated above that some 2001.5's came with the GLS suspension and were labeled as confort suspension. 2002 has no such suspension, all have 15% stiffer settings (sport), 2002 has a new blue Carbon instead of cobalt, I got cobalt, carbon is more purplish.

GT vs Pro5, after almost buying both my father bought the GT and a GLS instead of a GT and a Pro5. Pro5 has 10 less HP (slower), smaller inside seating area, less cargo space, crappier stereo (if you can imagine that), ricier gauges (whiteface),less insulation, more costly...I dont recall standard side airbags or optional TCS..or leather standard....nor as many seat adjustments1 and mostly Mazda is controlled and shares many parts with FORD... now with the 3-4k you save on buying a GT instead... go out and get youself some 17's to fix one of the worst parts of the GT (IMHO) the rims and comfort oriented tires.... UGH...