Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    Usually with paint issues they are deferred to a regional represenative even if the paint is still in a warranty period.

I feel your pain about the paint. I love the GT but the only thing I really dislike is the paint (black especially) quality. You look at it funny and it will scratch. I've kept mine looking pretty good but when you have a bird dropping on there for one day you don't expect that it should eat through the paint like on my car.

Jeff
  • Options
    beatles363beatles363 Member Posts: 13
    I've heard one should wait 6 months before waxing. Is this true? Or ill get on it right away?
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I think that's old advice. I've heard that it's fine to wax a car right away with the newer clearcoat formulations. That's the first thing I do when I drive my new cars home, and I've never had any trouble from doing it. Anyway, by the time you get your new Hyundai, it's been out of the paint booth for several weeks at least. BTW, the paint on my almost-3-year-old GLS (champagne) is holding up just fine, still lusterous (when I wash it...).
  • Options
    hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    I do not own a GT, but we do have a 2001 Tiburon, when it was based on Elantra plaform(and probably same paint job,too). Zero problems.
    99 Sonata does have some chips and scratches in it, but the car has nearly 100K on it now.

I had a 90 nissan sentra, in myrtle beach, when in military. Had it 4 and one half years down ther. Paint job was fine. We moved to Ohio, and the first winter, the cinders and stones they put onto icy roads killed the lower door panel paint...chipped it to primer...it was really pitted, very bad!
    Shocked me.
    At least the 2 Hyundai's we now have are not like that.
    All cars I have owned,new, have had chips,dings,scratches,or whatever, within a year or two of ownership(except 90 sentra, due to hardly ever snow in SC); Nissan,GM, Hyundai... road cinders are killers. Paint peeling..not on these 2 cars. I wonder; did your car have say a few hundered(or even 50) miles on it? I ask because they could have had a fender bender, or someone bump intot he fender, dent it, and they repainted it prior to selling it.
    Guy who had a 1992 Sentra had a fender bender, and 4 months after they painted it, the paint peeled and there was grey primer(on white car) . They refused to fix it.
  • Options
    kaz6kaz6 Member Posts: 331
    Has anyone bought/installed the Hyundai roof rack on their GT? Just wondering how it compares with the brand names in quality and price.
  • Options
    adriana1adriana1 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone recommend a service center in Chicago to have the 30,000-mile service on my GT?, had been taking it to Roger's Hyundai where I bought it but did not appreciate it when they went out of the limit with the extra services and checks supposedly needed by the car: I will never take it there again, need some help!
  • Options
    guess you could take US 41 south to route 30 east, or I-80/94 to I 65 south to Merrillville to 30 west a few miles...anyhow, go to Hyundaiusa.com, and they have a place
    for you to look up dealerships via your zip code.
    I know from many visits to Lake County, Indiana(goes up to Lake Michigan: includes Hammond, Highland,others)..there is a Hyundai dealership(maybe has 50-75 cars on lot) out there close to Merillville. May be close to Southlake Mall area out there. You ccan look it up. Place has been there at least 5 years....and smaller places usually strive to do a better job than they have to.
    Other than that..... I was surprised there'sa Lackof Hyundai dealerships up that way, compared to SW Ohio..we have 3 within an hour or so drive, and 11 in 90 minte drive. I have seen one Kia dealership(off of route 41/and Cline ave/45th ave in Huighland, In, and that Hyundai dealership in Merrillville, tha was it, from 80/94 in Hammond all the way back through route 30(Old Lincoln hwy) back to I-65 south.
    Good luck looking.
  • Options
    gtovritgtovrit Member Posts: 53
    Ask friends and family to recommend a good mechanic. The service does not have to be done by Hyundai service centers to be acceptable under the warranty. Just make sure they do everything the maintenance schedule calls for, and that they itemize each of these services on your repair ticket/receipt. Save this in your maintenance record.
  • Options
    tmanttmant Member Posts: 70
    I'm curious how the tint that you may have had installed on your elantra looks. The dealer will be tinting my GT hatch (was $200, added into my financing, and will be done by a subcontractor I guess) soon. The thing I'm curious about is the dotted areas on the windows (rear glass and corner glass) and the horizontal lines next to the center brake light.

Does your tinting cover these areas or are they cut just before it?

If it does cover, does it look seamless? They showed me a 4dr GT with the tint and from the outside it looked like it was not sticking. Pressing on the tint into the glass helped a little but the dotted area seemed like a bad surface for the film to adhere to.

Should I take my tinting elsewhere? Get it cut before these areas on the window? Or is what I described acceptable? They say it comes with a lifetime warranty.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I just got my back window tinted on my Tiburon. The guy brought my attention to the dotted area at the top of the glass. He said he had trouble getting it to stick and if it falls down to bring it back and he would just cut it off and put a black piece of vinyl there to make it look seamless. He said they normally just cut it off anyway but for now it appears to be sticking. So, it's up to you what you want to do. If you don't want the hassle of taking it back, you can ask them to not cover the dotted area. Or you can take the chance and see if it will stick.
  • Options
    compensatecompensate Member Posts: 212
    I do understand about the paint warranty (although the dealer never pointed out the difference when I bought the car, so I assumed it fell under the 60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty). What made me mad was the fact that the regional rep said that the paint damage WAS caused by road debris, when I had already taken the time to show the dealership why this was not the case. It would be obvious to ANYONE with any knowledge of automobile paint to see the paint bubbles were not caused by debris. Since the regional rep did not make any statement about his/her assessment being a "best guess" or anything, that's what led to me being so upset.

I wish I had an extra $200-$300 to get my bumper repainted, but I don't. Our expenses currently exceed our income, since my wife had to quit her job to stay home with our daughter who had neurosurgery.

I just don't feel the same about my Elantra since I now have to drive it around with a bumper that looks pretty messed up.

I guess I'll get over it one day . . .
  • Options
    donl68donl68 Member Posts: 31
    I recently had my windows tinted. The tinting does cover the dots and is currently sticking to them. If it ends up not sticking, I will take it back since it has a lifetime warranty.
  • Options
    jeffhall76jeffhall76 Member Posts: 52
    My tint has been on 16 months and sticks just fine to the dotted area. There should be no problem at all. I honestly don't even notice that area and the "dots."
  • Options
    OK, so I got my new GT and I seem to be posting like a mad man lately.

My front armrest on the door (driver and passenger) look to be black, yet the rear doors are grey, matching the rest of the door color. Its obvious they are darker. Am I seeing things? Is your GT the same? Or what the heck is going on?

OK, if that wasn't wierd enough, I seem to have a 3.5th gear on my automatic! I wasn't quite sure if I had 4 normal gears PLUS a 5th overdrive or what. But every shift drops rpms by about 1000, but this strange shift after 3rd brings it down around 300-500 rpms, and eventually into the last overdrive gear. I shifted into 3 to see if it happens and it still does. It drives fine without any shaking or noises. I'm just baffled because my Ford Crapstar (Windstar for those that never owned one) really has 4 normals gears plus an overdrive gear. But the computer has learned poorly and actually shifts from 3rd into 4th quickly. So is it somehow my driving habit? (Couldn't be on the GT since its brand stinking new.) Anyways, I'd like to know how your auto tranny is working.
  • Options
    jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I have a 2001 GLS and the front and rear door panels do not match, so it is same on your GT, just less noticeable. My interior is beige, the rear door pulls are beige and the fronts are black. Like you, I would have preferred four black door pulls but it isn't a big deal for me, even with such a contrast.

Someone else on here might confirm if the auto tranny has a lockup torque converter, which might explain the various rpms you describe. My '94 Buick Skylark had overdrive but it also seemed to have more shift points when watching the tach. Your Elantra does indeed have three gears plus overdrive. I drove a loaner recently while mine was being serviced, and the auto in the Elantra is quite good.
  • Options
    As do most slushboxes built in the last 15-20 years.
  • Options
    Just brought in my GT for its 3k service aka oil change. Only $9.95!!! Can't beat that with a stick!
  • Options
    jacobi1jacobi1 Member Posts: 32
    Has anyone had a hitch installed? I honestly haven't looked at the base of my GT to see what 'options' the frame has? I imagine there's a couple of holes on each side of the frame to attach the hitch? Just curious. I had a hitch priced out today for $150 at the dealer, but when speaking with the Rep he hadn't installed one on the Elantra yet. I'd rather do it myself if it's just a couple of bolts.

Thanks, enjoy the drive.
  • Options
    gpagpagpagpa Member Posts: 55
    Finally got the jack and stands. Looked in the manual to find out where to jack the car and where to put the jack stands, but it only points to one spot by each wheel well. Is there enough room for me to jack the car up and put the stand right next to the jack? As for the filter, I got a Purolator model #L14459 after looking in the book at the store. Is this the right one? Also, I found a Fumoto valve for $21.95 with the nipple and $3 shipping. It is a bit cheaper than the site that is listed in this forum, is it the same thing? How easy is it to get to the filter, I got a filter wrench? When tightening the Fumoto, should I tighten by hand or get a torque wrench?

thanks for any input.
  • Options
    Use Hyundai. Why? Simple.
    1) They have access to most up-to-date recall info if needed, and, if it is needed,
    2) They will perform it for you.

A friend from school went to an indepent mechanic, and was told about a seat harness(wiring harness) recall for her Sonata. The guy could not fix it, though, so she ended making Another trip/another day to get it fixed at Hyundai dealership.
    She could have just done this all in one day/one trip, versus 2 days, 2 trips to 2 different places.
    Also, in my area, it takes them a day or two to get original parts,and tyr to sell "less expensive"stuff(andnot that less expensive,either).
    You make an appointment for Hyudnai, you can usually go in next day, drop off car(get a ride to work) and they pick you up after work, and your car, recalls(if any) work done, no poblems, or hassles.
  • Options
    A few of you have written about installing the a/c cabin filter behind the glovebox. Are you doing this because the interior has an objectionable smell, or for dust allergies? My car has 15,000 miles on it, and the interior no longer has that new car stink, but the vent system on this car has the strongest pull of outdoor air I've ever noticed. With the a/c on, if there is someone smoking a cigarette three cars ahead of me in traffic, my a/c pulls that smell through the car. If I have it on recirculate, the system stops pulling in new stink, but the smells I first noticed, which caused me to turn on the recirculate, are still in the car.
     Does the cabin filter help reduce this kind of smell? At $40 for a filter, I'd expect mouth-to-mouth. Has anyone else noticed the outside air really seems to pull in the smokers, diesel, and poorly tuned cars from half a block away?
  • Options
    I have noticed cigarette smoke in at least my last three cars, until I close the vent (using recirculate mode). The filter doesn't remove odor, just particulates, which is worth the money to me. It's similar to buying a good (3M) furnace filter for nine times the price of a dime store special. It will prevent dust, etc. from circulating through your home but odor can't be physically trapped with these items.
  • Options
    Aside from trapping allergens, it removes harmful particulates from diesel exhaust, brakes, etc. The EPA did a study of air in congested urban areas and found that those particulates can get trapped deep in your lungs leading to numerous health problems.
    Odors are not affected by the filter but if you have allergies or live in an urban area, you'll definitely notice the difference after a week.
    I had a filter in my previous car, an ECHO, and while that filter wasn't nearly as substantial as the Hyundai's it made a difference in air quality.
  • Options
    cookie55cookie55 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if woodgrain is port-installed or Dealer-installed? I have seen woodgrain kit listed as an accessory. Has anyone had Dealer install this kit and if so,how was quality and appearance?
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    click on the three links next to the blue strip in middle for interior and exterior views:

http://www.hyundai-motor.com/cybermall/showroom/index_3.html

That new grill is ugly IMO
  • Options
    adriana1adriana1 Member Posts: 4
    Can someone in Chicago recomend a place for the 30,000 miles service in the Chicago area? so far, at Hyundai dealers, it is not less than $429.00..... I hope someone can help :)
  • Options
    When you got the prices for the 30k service from the dealers, did you ask them what their price was for a "30k service", or did you ask them what they charge to do only the manufacturer-required services for 30k? There is probably a huge difference in the two, if the dealers in your area are anything like mine. They throw in services with dubious value like "fuel system cleaning" (buy a bottle of injector cleaner and do it yourself).
  • Options
    storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    This message finally puts us ahead of the sedan board by 1 message. Hooray!
  • Options
    Has anyone else experienced a high-pitched whine when the A/C compressor kicks in? It happens both while driving and standing still. Doesn't sound real serious to me yet, just wondering if this is a characteristic of the Hyundai compressor, or is it only mine?
    (Ha-now we're two messages up!)
  • Options
    I've only noticed a slight hissing noise during the A/C on-off cycle, during the life of the car. After my 30K mile service, the hissing did become a bit more noticeable (a bit louder), which I did not appreciate but didn't find to be critical.
  • Options
    joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    My wife works for Draw-tite (truck products), and we installed a hitch soon after we bought the GT. It took all of about 15 minutes to install using existing bolt holes. It looks nice an is rated as a class 2 receiver (if I remember correctly).
  • Options
    swordboyswordboy Member Posts: 1
    OK -

I want an Elantra GT hatch with a manual tranny and no options. Where on earth can I get one? I've already called all around Michigan and Ohio but there are only a small handful available with Package 7 which bumps the price significantly. The dealers apparently "can't order cars right now". What does this mean? Are they making room for the '04s? When are the '04s expected to be available? When did the '03s show up last year?

Right now, I'm dealing with carsdirect.com. Is this about par for price or can I do better? I couldn't seem to get close to this pricing when working with a dealer.

I can wait a while longer if more Elantras are going to start showing up. I'd prefer not to if the incentives are going away. What does everyone think? When are the '04s coming?
  • Options
    Jofficer-would you know the Draw-Tite part number for the class 2 hitch that fits the GT hatchback? If the holes are already there, I would love to install it myself. I've got a bike rack that is hitch mounted and I've been dying to use it.
  • Options
    calamuscalamus Member Posts: 18
    Sportframe Hitch PN 24703
    Part Number: 24703
    Description: Sportframe Hitch
    Class Rating: CLASS I
    WC: 2000
    Box Size: 1¼" x 1¼"
    This info is available at http://www.draw-tite.com/on
    Good luck
  • Options
    Yes, there's no '03s to order because the '04s are on their way, I'd guess in early September if it's anything like past years. So you need to decide if you want to get a '03 or wait for a '04 with the VVT engine and styling tweaks, and of course pay considerably more than for a year-end '03 model. You should be able to get a great deal on the remaining '03s, especially if you let the dealer know that you know about the improvements for '04 and that you are willing to wait for them if you don't get a great deal on the '03.
  • Options
    I've only had my GT a 2 short weeks, and have not particularly noticed the a/c whine.

The '04 GT is supposedly changing a little bit on the exterior styling. I personally did not like some of it. You should be able to get very close to invoice pricing, before any available rebates. Try contacting the internet department of your dealers.
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    All styling is subjective-- However the Accent change is marginal--busier IMHO; the Sonata-- more mainstream but less distinctive; the XG350-- busier tail lights IMO; the Optima--got rid of the over chromed front end but replaced it with a Hannibal Lechter grin.

Same thing with Elantra-- don't really like the grill. Would have preferred putting ricer like clear lenses on rear of GT models and replacing the rather busy light treatment on hatch with simpler sedan like styling.

Improvements include Spectra-- much cleaner front and rear fascia than Sephia, and Rio-- same thing.
  • Options
    blackoutdotcomblackoutdotcom Member Posts: 12
    Where can I see the new 04 Hyundai Elanta GT? I am considering getting one and want to see if I like the newer one better.

- Michael
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    You'll find photos of the New (5 door) Avante DX, which is what they call the Elantra GT in Korea, at Hyundai Motor's Korean website. I've read there will be some small changes for the US (Elantra GT) version.

Also, here's a press release/photo from Hyundai Motors UK website with information on the New Elantra. Hope this is helpful.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    Hmm, I love the enw spolier on the hatch (That little black lip thing on ours looks pitiful) but I prefer the rear light clusters on our current Elantra 5-door models.

Oh, and someone protect me from clear light clusters! I HATE those things! :D Just keep them aftermarket please, or at least an option. Don't make them standard. I prefer normal light clusters on the rear. :)

Hmm, the new front styling looks OK, but I dunno if I like it better than the current styling or not.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Anyone notice the rear armrest with integrated cupholder in the Korean wesite photos? That will be a nice improvement. As for the new styling, I like the jeweled look of the new sedan tailights. The front looks mostly the same except with a larger more formal grille and a more circular motif to the healdlight unit. I think I like both front styling treatments, but I will have to see the 04 in person for final judgement. If anything, the larger grille helps make the Elantra look a bit more upscale.

As for the new spoiler on the GT hatch, it's definitely more aggressive and sportier looking, but I bet it restricts rearward visibility.
  • Options
    Actually the grille on the Avante XD looks smaller to me, at least lengthwise, than the current GLS and GT grilles. The new one may be a bit taller, but that could also be an optical illusion because of the vertical bars. I'm hoping it looks better in person than in pictures. But then again, it took me awhile to warm up to the nose on the '01 Elantra after getting used to the much sleeker nose on the previous generation.
  • Options
    Yeah after looking back and forth I have decided I like the 04 GT hatchback mutch better. When do you think we can expect them at US dealers and are they going to be priced the same or higher?

- Michael
  • Options
    I was looking over the korean website and I noticed it has pictures for 1.5 sports version and 2.0 racing. It also has them as coming in different colors. But I couldn't tell what the differences were. Does anyone know?

It's been pretty quite on these boards where is everyone? I have to tell you... I never ever see any Hyundai elntra GTs on the road here in Ft Lauderdale Florida. I look for them all the time because I was trying to decide whether to get the 03 hatckack or the sedan. I liked the hatchback for functionality and space but thought it looked a little to blah and 80s as far as looks went, yet the sedan didn't totaly thrill me either, but I think the 04 really looks much better - the spoiler help out alot and with a nice sunroof and in black, I think I'll be a happy camper. Only thing I'm worried about is if they're going to raise the price. The 03 currently goes for 13,600 on carsdirect which I consider the defacto standard for best price. Anyone have an idea as to what the 04s will be priced?

- Michael
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone else find the gauges hard to read during the day in sunlight? The colors don't exactly provide a good contrast without the dash lights on at night.
  • Options
    aznmontyaznmonty Member Posts: 66
    yeah i noticed that the dash is hard to see during the peak times of the day. Especially the trip computer. I usually have my polarized sun glasses on so it is extra hard to read. But the glow of the blue lights at night is still making me smile, and the first thing my passengers comment on at night. Second would be the quiet and smooth ride. We actually drove without the music on for a good 12 minutes because my friend wanted to enjoy the quiet ride.

Awesome stuff with this car! It is still a little scary on the highway on merges when a truck is coming on me at 75 miles per hr. But the car adjusts nicely to my flooring it. I think everyone needs an extra long rearview mirror. It is a good extra.

I have 4800 miles on it since April. I anticipate it to climb up and up as my commute is almost 90 miles per day. But it is all good with the wonderful surround sound of the cd playa. My mouth is watering at the new features of the 04 GT. Boy, it looks sweet. Too bad I did not see it in cobalt blue again. I think that is the best color for that car.

Has anyone at all made some good mods to their GT? I am looking for ideas.
  • Options
    mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    Hello Cookie-
    I have the 5 piece woodgrain dash trim in both my GTs. I love the appearance, and had no trouble with the instal by the dealership. Because the plastic is hard and smooth, it may lend to a few more squeaks than the other dash, but I'm not sure - they were installed before the cars were "delivered".

BTW, the trim includes a large piece for the dash (covering from the left door around the instrument cluster down to the ashtray and cig lighter), and four covers for the switch plates on the doors.

For me, the major advantage is that the trim softens and warms the all gray interior. Wood-look and leather in a car that costs less than $13,000 - can't beat it!

-mrvan
  • Options
    Ok, this issue for me is driving me crazy, but I found a solution. I was prepared to change the oil in my 02 GT so I bought a packaged set of jack stands, floor jack and creeper. The first problem that came up was where to put the jack and jack stands. The owners manual has recommended spots, but that is mainly for the scissor jack that came with the car. I got some input from fellow GT owners and thought everything was solved. The problem with the jack and jack stands is that I always seemed to tear away some of the undercoating or paint and I just did not feel comfortable under the car with the stands. They were in place correctly and they were very sturdy, but did not like the feeling. So I went to Kmart and got some Rhino Ramps for $19.99 (8 ton). I originally had an old set of metal ramps, but the incline on it was to steep and I was rubbing the front of the car against the ramps. Apparently, the Rhino Ramps have an extended ramp, some 17 degrees which allows the GT to go up with no problems. The working room under the car with the ramps is less than with the jack stands, but is adequate enough that I don't burn my face on the exhaust, I feel more sucure under the car with the ramps. So, in the end, I think I will use the ramps to change the oil and the jack stands when I rotate the tires.
  • Options
    As per my earlier post regarding the ramps, I was able to get under the car and familiarize myself with where things are located under the car. The oil filter was reachable after removing the plastic covering, so I don't think that will be a problem. The oil pan, since it is further down the car, my clearance with the ramps goes down slightly. I am able to maneuver around with the wrench, but it is less space than right under the bumper. My question is what size wrench is the oil plug? The only socket wrench that was missing was the 17mm and I think that is the correct size, but anyone that has changed their oil, please chime in. I plan on getting the Fumoto valve shortly and had a qustion regarding the crush washer. Did the valve come with any washers and is it ok to use the crush washers that I got from the dealership? Since I will not be removing the valve itself, I don't think that the washer needs to be replaced, but correct if wrong. Regarding the tightening of the valve, how are people doing this if they have the Fumoto? Is it hand tighten till snug and then 1 full turn? or is that too much.
         Now regarding the air filter. Recently, I removed the air filter to see how dirty it would be, I got my GT in Sep 02. It was quite clean, a stray leaf in the bottom but more or less very new looking. How many of you are using the K&N Filter? Looks like that is the better deal than buying the Purolator for 10$ a filter. Did you change the air filter at the prescribed milage marker, 12K even though it seemed still clean?
  • Options
    tomkimbenetomkimbene Member Posts: 9
    Not sure about the wrench size, but sounds like 17mm is the one. The Fumoto valve comes with a soft washer. No need for the crusher washer that is used with the stock drain plug. You'll never take the Fumoto off again, so you'll never deal with new washers again. My philosophy on air filters is not to mess with them too much. More damage can be done opening the filter cover and handling it than just leaving it in place doing its job. When "wears out", it clogs up, but doesn't fail in the sense that dirt enters the engine. However, when you open the airfilter cover to "inspect" the filter, or try to blow dirt out in between filter changes, there's a decent chance that dirt will get into the intake system. Changing the air filter at 12K seems excessive to me, unless you live on a gravel road. 30K sounds about right to me.