Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are you shopping for a new car and having a hard time finding what you want or did you recently buy a car but had to settle for something different than what you originally wanted? A reporter wants to speak with you; please reach out to [email protected] by 10/22 for more info.

Hitch receiver and wiring

reticulum12reticulum12 Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in Mazda
I have just installed a hitch receiver on my new mazda 5. I'd like to install the hitch wiring harness but on the one that is proposed to me i have to run a wire from the trunk to the battery.
Would it be allright if I take the 12 Volt power outlet in the trunk instaed of pulling a wire up to the battery?

Comments

• qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 28,129
    Yes. That would be plenty heavy to power some lights (something like a stereo amp would be a different story).

'07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

• Ok, this is what I tought. They should tell us to do that in the installation guide this is way easier than running a wire up to the battery.
    Thank you
    Sure thing.

By the way, what hitch did you purchase? I'm going to need to get one myself in the near future and I was going to use it to tow a utility trailer from harbor freight.

'07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

• There are 2 different model for the mazda 5:
    http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2010_Mazda_5.htm

I took the model 11338. I bought it on e-bay. I have installed it last WE and it fit perfectly. I takes a lot of effort to enlarge the 2 existing holes in the bumper but this is the only difficulty. I should have bought the wiring harness at the same time it would have been less expensive.
    Ok. Thanks. That's the same place I was looking. Couldn't see why I wouldn't just go with the cheapest, though.

• I have installed the wiring harness last week end. Everything is working perfectly fine. I did not run a wire up to the battery but instead I used the 12 Volt from the trunk.
This discussion has been closed.