Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

My 2002 626 Is Squealing Like A Pig! Help!!!

redsunn21redsunn21 Member Posts: 1
Friend says he cant get to it for another week,looks like I'm going to have to do this my self.Don't have the kind of money to take to real repair shop.Last night when I got home she died completely,played with the battery connectors and she got life back to her again.Friend told me to start her up and remove one of the battery connectors which I did and she was still running until I turned on the headlights.She died immediately when I did that.So I'm thinking the squealing is from a bad alternator bearing and its starting to freeze up???The squeal is definitely coming from the alternator area compared to anywhere else. I got a mini video of the sound on you tube,please listen to the link below and tell me what you guys think.

QUESTIONS:
1.How in the world do I remove that alternator?
2.If I do remove the alternator would it be cheaper to just replace the bearings or just get it rebuilt?

YOU TUBE LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfhylutXDqE

Comments

• Options
    p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    How many miles on the car? I have not had any altrnator issues with mine, even at 250k miles. What I know is that the idle pulley bearings do not last much past 100k miles and may be the source of your problem. these are the pulleys used to tension the drive belts on the car. There are two of them (at least on my V6 car).

Removing the alternator on these cars is not easy and typically you must remove the lower engine splash shield, loosen the A/C compressor from the mounts with lines still connected and drop it down and then disconnect the alternator harness (with the battery negative terminal disconnected), and then removing the alternator mount bolts and lowering it down.
This discussion has been closed.