Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Should I buy a Mazda5 that has sat for 3 years?

emusedemused Member Posts: 2
Hi All,

Several local Mazda dealers have 2008 model Mazda5's that have not sold since they arrived at the lot. I have been told by both dealers that the reason is that there is no A/C. We would prefer A/C however none of our current vehicles have A/C so we can live without it.

My concern is that these cars have sat for three years and have only ~217 and ~807 miles on them each. I am wondering if this is something that I should even bother with or not. The price is ok and it would be nice to have a newish car. However the gas is varnish by now I am sure and the battery is likely shot as well. What else should I expect to find issue wise with something like that and is it even worth my time? Also we live in Ottawa so the winters here are nasty cold as well.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    That's really a couple of questions for the dealer. What have they done to ensure the cars will be protected all this time? Maybe they've run them on occassion and put fresh gas in. We have no idea.

I certainly would want to change the oil, if they haven't done it.

And, yes, the battery is 3 years old. But that is easily remedied.

For a good enough deal, it could be worth it. But it would have to be a REALLY good deal. Trade-in value of an '08 sport with 1k miles would only be about $11k here in the northeast US. So I wouldn't pay more than $14k for one.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    coolmazda5coolmazda5 Member Posts: 525
    Do you know of a reputable workshop you can take it to for a checkup just to be safe? I guess the dealers are flexible to anything after all this time, so letting you taking it to a workshop might work

Now, if they let you do that, just drive it yourself to see if you feel anything weird :)

What about warranty, I guess is a used car sale by now, correct?
  • Options
    Since they were never titled, it is still a new car and the new car warranty does not kick in until the car is sold. So he would have a full factory warranty from the date of purchase.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    emusedemused Member Posts: 2
    The car is being sold as "used" and as such the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty has only about 7-8 months left on it. We want to argue the point that they should toss in the warranty at the very least, simply because I am not comfortable buying a car that has sat for so long.

My biggest concern is that seals would have cracked and a bunch of other issues that may not be apparent with it being driven only once every few months (if that).

Thanks!
  • Options
    At just 3 years old, there isn't much to worry about as far as dry rot is concerned .... although I can't say I have much experience with Candadian weather.

I'm surprised they are selling as used. But, if that's the case, again, just make sure you get it for the right price.

• Options
    dona83dona83 Member Posts: 67
    I would opt to buy a used 5 instead that has AC, it's not just AC it's automatic climate control. I guess if you really are comfortable with AC then see what kind of deal you can get after you get the cars mechanically checked out.

I highly questioned Mazda Canada's decision not to make AC standard on the GS, and your dealer's decision to stock these models in the first place. At least AC is now standard on the new generation model, even if it does bumP the MSRP up to $21,795.
  • Options
    athenasiusathenasius Member Posts: 118
    I would not buy it for over 8K and I would get them to throw in the extended warranty I think it goes for 7 years.

Get them to change out all the following also for free. If it has sat for that long with nothing to prevent the gas varnishing and if anyone has started it the varnish will totally mess up the cylinders as the varnish will get everywhere which is bad enough with an older broken in engine but would be worse with a new engine. ** I would have the tank also drained before it is even started.

The seals in the car need to be lubricated (which they have not for 3 years )so as not to dry out and crack.

The tires will need to be changed out as they will have cupped if not moved not to mention that the rubber breaks down over time.

the wipers will need to be changed.

the oil will need to be changed as will the transmission fluid as moisture I am sure will have gotten into the system.

I would also get a new battery unless they had disconnected it but I would change the specific gravity to see if it was still viable.

The antifreeze I am sure would have been used up preventing the oxidation of the engine so would get that changed.

Depending on where is sat in proximity to a road Ottawa used so much salt and the spray drifts every where.

just my 2 cents worth.

ps I am sure they will tell you everything is fine then you can say then you can give me the new car warranty plus the extended warranty.
This discussion has been closed.