Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Autostart & 2009 Legacy Limited 2.5i

pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
edited August 2014 in Subaru
Hi,

My wife and I are considering adding the convenience of Autostart to our Legacy. I know from the owner's manual that the car is "prewired" for autostart, and after doing a little research it sounds like this could still be annoying for immobilizer cars, something about losing a key?

What exactly happens when a car is pre-wired for autostart? I was thinking the unit just gets installed, you get your handy remote for your keychain, and you mash the button to your heart's content. I guess the person that was posting with the problem said that they "lost" their second key because the car won't turn over without the immobilizer bypass, which means you then only have a single key for your car (unless you want to buy another key which makes it considerably more expensive?)

Thanks,
Pilot

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited January 2011
    It depends on the system being installed. It is true that the immobilizer / auto kill has to be overridden so that the car will start and run without a key in the ignition. The most typical way this is accomplished on aftermarket autostarts is to use the valet key (which is not commonly used for most vehicles), which is then mounted inside the dash.

Of course, by doing this, the immobilizer system is permanently disabled, so any ol' key (assuming it is cut correctly) in the ignition will start the car.

I wouldn't recommend using one of your black keys (the valet key has a grey base) for this purpose. If you do, yes, you will be left with only one key. You could have a couple of "door keys" cut. They would not have the chip, but again, you shouldn't need it any longer if you have a key mounted in the dash to enable that circuit.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    Okay, that makes sense. Would you think the official Subaru auto-start from their parts department requires the key, then?
    I wouldn't think so, but I don't know for sure. A quick call to a dealership should clear that up, though!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • pilot1226pilot1226 Member Posts: 166
    edited January 2011
    You were right - the auto start unit is made by Subaru for Subarus, and was told by the service department today that there isn't a need to include any of my keys.

However, the price is a little daunting.

Quoted for a price at $325 for the part, $275 for installation.

From my understanding of the owner's manual, my car is already "pre-wired" for auto-start. How hard/complicated is installing it myself if I get the part from the dealer? I don't mind getting my hands a bit dirty... I've replaced things like Mass Air Flow sensors & housings on my Nissan.

I'm sorry, but $600 for convenience is a little overkill.

The biggest pain in the butt about the whole thing is that if I were to go out there with both of my sets of keys, the second remote won't "lock" the car if the engine's running, so if I really want to warm up my car, I have to turn the car on, and manually lock all the doors.
    I doubt the install is very complicated, but who knows? The part usually comes with an instruction sheet, so it should lead you through the process. I suspect it merely plugs in, but I just don't know where the unit is installed or the where wiring harness is located.(that could be the toughest part!).

I know what you mean about the manual start, then lock the doors. Once the key is in the ignition, you can't use the FOB, but here's the kicker... you can't lock the doors either because if you use the door button, it will auto unlock the doors when you close the driver door. To do it, you have to get in, close the doors, lock them (with the button or FOB), start the car, then manually unlock the driver door with the switch next to the handle (just for that door, not the button for all doors). Once you get out, you use that same manual switch to lock the driver door and you can then close it without the system unlocking. :surprise: :sick:
This discussion has been closed.