Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Forester Engine Choices

cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
edited September 2014 in Subaru
I'm going to buy a 2011 forester touring in a couple of weeks, my question is this, should I get the standard engine or the turbo, I hear different stories about the 2.4 in that it lacks power and some people say its very good. I rather not get the turbo because of the price of gas, but I do like the extra power. Could someone please me some advice.

Thank you
Jack

Comments

• aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited January 2011
    The turbo motor is several thousand more and still not updated to the chain-driven cams, requires twice the oil changes, gets a few mpg less, and requires premium fuel. And around 100K miles the turbo sometimes fails and the rubber timing belt must be changed.
    On the other hand, the plain motor does not have enough power for fast aggressive driving and passing, or for high mountain driving, and its low torque is a poor match for the 4-speed transmission and causes frequent and sometimes abrupt downshifting.
    You will have to drive both, and consider your own driving style and needs, to decide which motor you want.
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    That's a good summary of the differences, except for no mention of the normally aspirated engine's exhaust rap audible inside the car. The 2009-2010 models had it; perhaps it was eliminated for the 2011.

Also I find the 4-speed trans is just fine on my turbo, but it seemed quite inadequate on the NA model. Again, the 2011 with a slightly different torque curve could be OK.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Also, the 2011 Turbo Subaru motors are now doing 7,000 mile oil changes so the oil change interval is the same for both.

Persoanlly, I'd go for the new NA motor. It's got a nice torque band and in a forester it's all you'll need to get around.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Works for us and we can get 27-30mpg on trips. I once saw 33 mpg!
    edited January 2011
    You said: "the 2011 Turbo Subaru motors are now doing 7,000 mile oil changes."

That would be with Subaru's new synthetic oil. The 2011 Turbo Subaru motor is unchanged from the 2008 Turbo Subaru motor, for which Subaru said about dino oil that:
    "Under normal driving conditions, the recommended oil and oil filter change interval for turbo vehicles is every 3,750 miles or four months, whichever comes first."
    http://www.drive.subaru.com/Sum08/Sum08_Turbo.htm
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Yes all 2011 Turbo motors require Synthetic oil, and they have pushed the change interval out to 7000 miles.

-mike
    Subaru Guru and Track Instructor
  • cipollacipolla Member Posts: 22
    I just purched a 2011 outback limited with the 2.5 engine, I'm a little confused after reading some of these post. The outback came with regular oil and should be changed at 3000 miles, my question is could I continue using regular oil or must I or should I use synthic oil.

Thank you
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I thought it was 7500 miles and synthetic. Can someone confirm? The manual should specify that.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,788
    Not the best choice of topics in which to post for cipolla, because this is a Forester engine thread. The Outback still uses the EJ25 which may, indeed, be stocked with conventional oil. As far as I know, synthetic is not required for that engine and it retains the standard 3,500 / 7,000 mile oil change (severe / light duty) intervals on conventional oil.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited February 2011
    "... this is a Forester engine thread. The Outback still uses the EJ25 which may, indeed, be stocked with conventional oil. As far as I know, synthetic is not required for that engine and it retains the standard 3,500 / 7,000 mile oil change (severe / light duty) intervals on conventional oil."

So, the 2011 Outback, which is made in Indiana, is still receiving the old SOHC timing-belt engine from Japan. And uses dino oil on the old schedule.
    While the 2011 Forester, made in Japan, has the new DOHC timing-chain engine, and uses synthetic oil, now extended to the old schedule.
This discussion has been closed.