Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Raw Fuel Smell in interior on cold starts

rupietootrupietoot Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Subaru
I have a 2004 Forester and we have had extremely cold weather this past week (in Northern NB) and I have noticed that when I get in the car after it has been started with command start and running for about 10 min there is a strong raw fuel smell in the car. Goes away after awhile but really bad on starts. Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions???
Thanks,
Susan

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That's a tough one. It only happens at certain times? Usually fuel smells permeate and last. We had a Chevy that had such a smell, and it never went away. :(
  • rupietootrupietoot Member Posts: 2
    There are a lot of posts about the problem on the subaru.org forum but mostly people from the US; I was just wondering if Canadian Subaru owners had the same problem and how to get some satisfaction from Subaru. I am also wondering how many people/vehicles this has to affect before it becomes a recall issue.

Thanks!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Most likely, it is a (small?) leak from one of the fuel supply lines due to a combination of aging rubber and cold temperatures. I have yet to have that problem on any of mine, but it is not overly uncommon for any of the Subaru models. My recommendation is to start with torquing down the line clamps. If the problem persists or returns, replace the rubber.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    Concur. On another forum there have been posts about cold weather contraction loosening fuel hoses at their clamps.
This discussion has been closed.