Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2011 Chevy Equinox Problems

1171819202123»

Comments

• Options
    robot_monkeyrobot_monkey Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had recent updates about this issue? My vehicle is not having the same issues but I'm being told mine doesn't apply to the recall, despite having all the qualifications (i.e., year, make, model, engine) and the exact same issue. I've never had such a large issue for a car that's still this "young" so to speak. This isn't making me wanting another Chevy or GM vehicle in the future if it can't even survive through payoff before having major issues.
  • Options
    berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Sadly, that's why Honda sells so many CRV's.
  • Options
    chadlyons42chadlyons42 Member Posts: 1
    Purchased 2011 Equinox in December 2010. The car has been nothing but trouble. The AC was repaired twice. The car overheated at 52,000 miles. The issue was due to a faulty water pump and timing chain. Both were replaced at my expense since warranty expired.

Current mileage is 56,000 which is very young. The car is now lunging while stopped. The car dies when put in reverse from time to time. The engine sounds like rattling couns in a pan.

The latest recall for engine light was recently diagnosed. Apparently there is oil sludge inside the engine. This job requires a complete rebuild of the orings and pistons, costing $4600+. My personal mechanic diagnosed the problem as well and asked, "does this car burn oil?". Absolutely it does basing on all the negative reports online. 

So the dealer would not do the job. The GM contact center brushed me off since powertrain warranty has expired. So I'm stuck with a fairly young car that could potentially require a engine replacement. At worse it requires a engine overhaul.

I have never experienced issues like this with any other make and model. It's very frustrating as I take care of my vehicles, including the Equnox, to experience this type of problem. 

Isn't GM aware of the oil burning issue? Do they back up the recall for engine light? This is why the light is lit up! 

I'm scared to drive the car considering the issues already mentioned. 

GM are you listening?

Chad

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited June 2017

Apparently there is oil sludge inside the engine. This job requires a complete rebuild of the orings and pistons, costing $4600+. My personal mechanic diagnosed the problem as well and asked, "does this car burn oil?". Absolutely it does basing on all the negative reports online.

Sludged up? There is only one way that happens, improper service. This is why the dexos specification and licensing requirements came into play. While you didn't require a full synthetic version of the specification using one would have made the engine oil more tolerant of the crankcase acids that form from blow-by gasses .It's excessive crankcase acid production and losing control of the acids that cause the engine oil to turn into those sludge compounds.

The other part of the issue is that limited use, short trips especially, accelerate the production of crankcase acids and drivers who operate a vehicle that way need to service the car more frequently than someone who drives the car further each start-up and more often. Even with the dexos1 specification oil, your services probably should have been on a six month schedule regardless of the mileage.

Oh wait, telling you that you needed to service the car more often is a bad thing according to certain experts*. Shame that they aren't around to help when their advice leads an owner to a failure. At this point you should not plan a partial rebuild. Either do a complete rebuild or simply replace the engine. The make sure to service it correctly based on your usage, not off of a typical schedule or else the new engine will suffer the same fate.
  • Options
    1sickandtired1sickandtired Member Posts: 1
    I've brought my 2011 Equinox brand new and I've been having problems with it since day 1. From the secondary timing chain, to the catalytic converter, the engine, the car wouldn't change gears, the throttle body,  high pressure fuel pump, and the car is still making noise and hesitating. I can't drive it like that and the dealer can tell me what's wrong. Chevrolet sold me a brand new lemon that can't be fixed. So I had to purchase a new car something has to be done about this.

• Options
    2011 Equinox 130K miles. After seeing the dealer 12/14 and passing inspection, my car stalled on the highway 12/17. At the dealer I was told to replace 2 camshaft position actuator solenoids. As I see in this forum, this seems to fall under Recall #1195A, but upon calling GM (18002221020), 2 levels of review refused to acknowledge that my problems consistent with defective camshaft position actuator solenoid valves which should have been replaced at no charge. I seem to have hit a dead end. Any advice on how to proceed?