Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Chevy Venture Driver Information Center Repair

fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
edited May 2017 in Chevrolet
1999 Chevy Venture Driver Information Center Repair.

I researched and finally found a fix for non functioning Driver Information Center.

The solution was similar to that found for similar modules on other brands of vehicles.

Remove the Driver Information Center Module
(See GM manual for procedure)

Push back clips from black housing box and carefully remove circuit board

Place circuit card flat on table.
Place display and component side of circuit board facing up
Rotate circuit board so the display module side is facing you
There are button switches on either side of the display module
Look at the right button switch.
Next to it just left and above are four 1/4" X 1/8" black components attached to the circuit board
They are marked 430, 430, 820 and 820 reading from top to bottom.
These are resistors with 43 and 82 ohm values.

On the two modules I have repaired the problem was with the top most resistor. It is marked 430 and is 1/2" above and 1/4" to the left of the right button switch. The soldering to the circuit board had fractured. I resoldered the resistor into place using a bit of solder and 15 Watt pencil soldering iron.

All fixed.

The problem is NOT the black spot on the display in the upper left corner
The problem is NOT the DC to DC converter modules.

Why does it come loose?
I believe the resistor was part of the circuit which supplied power to the display module plates.

The resistor came loose due to the metallurgy of solder. The solder often is a mixture of tin and lead. The tin is more strongly attracted to the copper in the circuit board than the lead is attracted. When hot, when within 10% of melting temperature (resistors designed to run hot), the tin near the circuit board face will move. Having moved there is stress in the solder at the locations where it left. These holes create high stress in the solder structure, this leads to a fracture staight across the mounting face of the resistor as smooth and complete as if a knife cut the resistor loose. This only happens in designs which allow parts to heat to values close to the melting point of the solder. This rarely would happen in the past before surface mounted components. The cure would be higher temperature solder, cooler running parts, avoiding flat straight mounting interfaces, etc. Reheating the joint sets it right for a while.

Key words:
Chevy Venture 1999
DIC
Driver Information Center
VA344314KMD
VFD Vacuum Fluorescent Display
Futuba VA3527 2-BT-225GN

Comments

• mauricehlmauricehl Member Posts: 1
    Just finished following the clear instructions above and everything works great! Thanks a million!
    Maurice
  • surendransurendran Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much mauricehl. I did exactly what you said and everything worked fine. I just resoldered the two 430 resistors.

My driver information Center was not working for the last 1 year. Since it was working sometime for couple of minutes, I was kind for sure that it could be some kind of dry solder or loose connection,Since I was not sure about that , I didn't do anything until today.

Thank you again for the detailed instruction about how fix this issue.
  • fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
    Glad to help with the DIC VFD repair,

now just be careful watching the inst mpg readout. Keep you eyes on the road.

btw

after putting on goodyear fuel max tires and putting them at 42psi, I got 32mpg at 50mph, 28 mpg at 62 mph.

anyone do better?
  • jonnyboy412jonnyboy412 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Chevy venture that i just bought and was driving perfect but i stopped at a friend turn it off for maybe ten minutes tried to start it and nothing happens the dash comes on but when i turn the key the dash turn off and the van doesnt even turn over what could that be Please help!
  • tawnygtawnyg Member Posts: 1
    This was awesome information! It is totally correct, I just ended up paying $30 for a used DIC on ebay with no progress with the problem. But after reading this blog I took my old DIC out and plugged it in and pushed down on the 430 resister which was hard to do and bang it light up and worked. So now all I need to do is try and fix it. I have done very little soldering, so I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Thank you so much for the information!
  • fltcoilsfltcoils Member Posts: 8
    You are very welcome,

I enjoyed driving with the center functioning.

Glad it worked for you.
  • gmoney21gmoney21 Member Posts: 1
    I don't see the damage to the resistor that you speak of... Can you look at my picture and tell me if I'm on the right track. Sorry for being the slow one of the group :)

Regards

• herbjr76herbjr76 Member Posts: 1
    HEY TAWNYG, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE AWESOME INFO!! YOU SAVED ME $300.$$$.. I FOLLOWED YOUR STEPS JUST AS YOU DESCRIBED ON MY 99 OLDS SILHOUETTE AND IT WORKED GREAT JUST LIKE YOU SAID.. IT WAS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO SEE IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, BUT IT SURE WAS BROKEN RIGHT AT THE WELD.. THANK YOU SOO MUCH.
  • oldrookieoldrookie Member Posts: 1

fltcoils; I know this is an old post; but, THANK YOU. Mine is a 99 Blazer LS. As you said, one of the 430s lifted easily. I did a slight lift check on the others. The other 430 popped loose at opposite end. My 30 watt with its big tip made it a challenge but I managed. Thanks to you, I am a hero; at least for today.

• sndkellysndkelly Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Chevrolet venture that the DIC stopped working several months ago. We finally got to looking at it today and initially checked the fuses. Fuses good.. Most pages we found said the whole module had to be replaced but I couldn't believe that if everything else on the module worked fine that we should replace the whole thing so I kept looking until I found this. You saved my sanity and his pocketbook. Thanks for the advice. Works like brand new now and wasn't hard at all to do. Took like 10 minutes. 
  • ksmildenksmilden Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Thanks for help on the Forum. I live in Norway and have owned a 1998 Venture for four yrs. The DIC stopped working for over a yr ago. Thanks to this site, I just fixed it (on the kitchen bench) this evening :)
    Thanks again
    Knut Smilden
  • SPHINXSBEARSPHINXSBEAR Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon everyone, I followed the instructions to the letter and you are a barbarian, teacher works 100% thank you very much, fltcoils, I hope you continue to contribute your knowledge and I follow you in future questions that you find me, Greetings.