Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2001 impreza starter problem

ledoozmaledoozma Member Posts: 2
edited September 2014 in Subaru
I'm having trouble starting my 2001 subaru impreza. When I try to start the car, the car just produces a "clicking" sound. What should I do? Is it the starter? where is the starter on the 2001 impreza?

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    It might be the starter. If the battery is low, it may also create the click but not have enough juice to start. I suspect that it is either a bad grounding connection to the starter or perhaps the solenoid itself. The starter is located at the top, rear, driver side just behind the engine. Once you check the main ground cable, which runs from the battery to a bracket attached to one of the starter bolts, I would try lightly tapping the starter solenoid with a small hammer while someone actively tries to start the car. It may help the unit to engage....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ledoozmaledoozma Member Posts: 2
    thanks xwesx. So I tried to jump it this morning and it seemed to try to start for a couple of seconds and then it died again. I waited about 5 more minutes, then got the clicking sound again. I'm thinking it's the battery now. The radio won't stay on for past a few minutes and the windshield wipers were running slow. I know it's a random shot in the dark, but just trying my best at this point. Just got AAA to help too.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,780
    A multimeter will tell you real quick if your battery is low. A good battery should read ~12.5 volts with the car off. When running, it should be at around 14 volts if the alternator is operating properly.

Without a meter to check it, if you connect your car to another to jump, let it charge for a few minutes, then successfully start it, there's a good chance the battery was low. If you pull the jumper cables at that point and the car quits again a few minutes (or less) later, your alternator has likely quit or is extremely weak. If it runs fine while operating, but then is dead again after you shut the car off, your battery isn't holding charge. Make sure you test either unit prior to replacing so you know you identified the correct culprit. Most auto parts places will do the testing free of charge.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.