Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Maintenance @ 15K 2010 Forester Severe Driving

georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
edited October 2014 in Subaru
My independant shop said Subaru recommends fluid changes at 15K under Severe conditions. I live in Western New York (Buffalo). The shop said just this area s considered severe because of all the moisture.

Does that sound reasonable or did I pay for service not really needed. I don't tow or off road but it does get frequent short trips.

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    What fluids did you have changed? The best way to know when and what to change is to send oil samples (such as engine, transmission, differential) to a laboratory for evaluation. Once you establish a baseline, you'll know with confidence that the schedules you choose are effective for both your car and your pocketbook!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • georged4georged4 Member Posts: 34
    Changed brake fluid, transmission and differentials.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    Overkill, I'd be willing to bet, for all three.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "My independant shop said Subaru recommends fluid changes at 15K under Severe conditions. I live in Western New York (Buffalo). The shop said just this area s considered severe because of all the moisture. Changed brake fluid, transmission and differentials. Does that sound reasonable or did I pay for service not really needed."

I think that level of service was not all needed at 15,000 miles. It is not on the Subaru maintenance schedule.

The differential oil should be checked at 15,000 miles. The rear differential oil usually has darkened by then and is worthwhile to change.

Brake fluid can absorb moisture in very humid climate, related to time not miles, and could be changed every 2 years. But very few people do that.

The maintenance schedule merely says to inspect the transmission fluid for its level and condition at 30,000 miles. Transmission fluid need not be changed at 15,000 miles unless overheated and darkened by severe trailer towing. And it cannot be replaced by a simple draining, which removes only 4 of the 10 quarts. Complete replacement of 10 quarts by a special machine costs around $200.

I think you paid for service not needed, except for the rear diff, which I think should be replaced sooner than the schedule says.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    For gear oil I have 2 reference points:

60k miles on my Forester was OK
    28k miles on my Miata was too long

But...the Forester was about 5 years old, while the Miata was 8 years old.

So in my experience it had more to do with the age of the fluid.
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    edited July 2011
    "... So in my experience it had more to do with the age of the fluid."

Gear oil does not age. It weakens from shear and becomes contaminated with wear particles. That is, it becomes thinner and darker.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I imagine it was contaminated with moisture, over time, and then deteriorated badly.

Just 28k miles, though.
This discussion has been closed.