Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rearview camera - $6,000 package??

patnicpatnic Member Posts: 27
Tell me I'm wrong - In order to get a rear-view camera, I have to buy it in a $6000 package?

I was ready to switch from my Honda to a Toyota, but then the camera is in a $6000 package? A back-up camera is included in a Honda Ody EX-L.

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Why go OEM at all?

For $400 total I got a Magellan RoadMate 9055LM and a backup camera, together you get 7" GPS navi with traffic, life time updates, and yes, even a backup cam (DIY install in my case):

http://www.magellangps.com/lp/back-up_camera/index.html

I have text-to-speech, traffic integrated, and free updates every quarter for free. Toyota charges over $200 for each DVD set, and they only update them once a year or so.

If you're interested lemme know and I'll share some videos that demo my setup on an 07 Sienna.
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Last February we drove a 2011 LE, and it had a basic backup camera on a small display (3-4" screen) that I thought was standard equipment. When you step up to the XLE you get the camera display on the much larger entertainment screen.

The baseline CE probably doesn't have anything.
  • centermasscentermass Member Posts: 1
    My Nav/DVD/CD/Radio unit died, rear DVD works fine (no sound though). I am very interested in seeing your setup.
    You're in luck, I made videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4EWHtFe50Y

This one shows the mount I fabricated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcLtA5S3QeU

Of all things, I used aluminum pieces that are normally used to hold gutter downspouts in place! LOL
  • themanindboxthemanindbox Member Posts: 11
    Why not just look behind you? That's why they give you mirrors..
    Watch my videos - they clearly demonstrate how it is literally impossible to see anything directly behind you shorter than about 4 feet tall.

The video makes it crystal clear. You would not see, for example, a fire hydrant, a bicycle, a toddler, a dog, a cat, or the lochness monster.

Scratch that last one, I got carried away. ;)
  • kitcloudkick3rkitcloudkick3r Member Posts: 15
    If you need a camera to back-up you should NOT be driving.. I have driven box trucks, where you just use two mirrors.. Why cant you just look behind you? Do you not have a neck? I mean if you have no Neck, then i mean i can understand then..
    Try lining up a trailer to a hitch.

Unless you have xray vision....
  • kitcloudkick3rkitcloudkick3r Member Posts: 15
    edited May 2012
    I have done that for years.. In both F150 Ford trucks and also in Lifted bronco's.. Its all about being smart enough to use things to line up.. two long stakes (6.00 a home depot, good for beginners).. insert one right behind the hitch, the other at the rear wheel of the trailer on the passenger side, it will give you a reference point to back up to.. and save you 5,994 dollars.. If you cant back up a trailer to a ball hitch, this again tells me you should not be pulling a trailer..

And to your argument... things that are designed to pull trailers, Trucks, Pickup's, Full sized Vans... None of them have a standard backup cam with a towing package..

Just turn your head.. use your mirrors..
    Don't be Lazy..
    If you need reference points.. Get the two Stakes and use them to line yourself up.. after a few times you wont need to use the stakes..
    edited May 2012
    Well, my backup cam wasn't $6000. Far from it...

http://www.magellangps.com/lp/back-up_camera/index.html

$150 retail but with a 10% off accessory coupon I paid a little under $135.

I've seen lumber prices recently and your 2 stakes probably cost close to that amount.

Kidding. Sort of. ;)