Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Decision: Tow muscle vs. Ride

newtrucksnewtrucks Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Ford
I test drove the '01 F250 SuperCab 4x4, it rides hard (w/3.73) but has the muscle, (I have a boat, about 7k lbs total rig). On the other hand, the F150 SuperCab Lariat 4x4, 3.55 big V8 should ride softer (haven't tested it, comments?), but maybe I sacrifice towing? Any pros out there can help me tell the difference?

Comments

• sfishsfish Posts: 27
    I have a 20 ft 5200# boat and a 24 ft 8000# boat. I went for the even softer ride of a 2001 Chevy ext cab 1500/5.3/3.73/4X4. The lower step up th the cabin and the much more comfortable back seats for 2 teen boys larger than 6 ft were the reasons. The truck tows the 20ft baot like nothing is there and the 24ft tow is great too. I towed the 24ft with my friends 92 F250-460 and it did not ride or tow as nice. Backing the boat into my tight yard was much better with the Chevy and I have always owned Fords.
  • I will look at the Chevys, particularly the z71. I was looking at Fords because I have had a Chevy 1500 5.7L since I bought the boat 3 years ago and wanted to change to the new styling of the Ford. Although my good ol' chevy has done fine towing for 3 years it's getting up there in years (it is a '93) and miles (86k) and I am looking to change.
  • jcmdiejcmdie Posts: 595
    You might try the F250 crew cab. The ride is softer because the wheelbase is longer and because the crew cab is 800# heavier than the supercab. That way you get the towing capacity and tons of interior room.
  • Your comment about towing a 5200# load with your 1500 caught my attention. I am interested in a bigger truck, I have a 1997 Chevy S-10, to help carry my family and trailer. It looks like you have the family situation solved, and my kids are only 7 years and expecting in July!!! Your towing info is encouraging as I have a lite-weight travel trailer going about 4500# loaded and I was concerned about having to go 3/4 ton.

I guess it would be safe to say that a properly equipped 1500 would be more than enough to handle my needs.

Chris
  • ken0ken0 Posts: 29
    I pull a 22 ft fifth wheel rig weighing 5200# total weight including food,clothing , people,generator and full tanks. I use a 1997 Silverado 1500 ext.cab and have towed through the Rockies and the Smokies and other than brake pad replacement have a rig that tows and rides like a dream
This discussion has been closed.