It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!
Lincoln LS V8 Overheating and Fan Problems
When I start driving the car, the temperature gauge reaches the mid point pretty quick -- within about 2 minutes -- whether it is a hot day or cool night. It will stay at the mid point anywhere from 15 minutes to 45 minutes, but then the temp. gauge quickley rises and the coolant begins to bubble violently in the tank. If I don’t shut the car off immediately and let it keep overheating, the coolant will leak out of the top of the resovoir cap until it’s all over the ground. It goes without saying that I often smell burning coolant even when it’s not overheating.
Things I HAVE TO DO - (goes maybe 45 minutes without overheating):
-Turn the HEAT on high (no A/C)***
-Keep the hood popped open.
-Try to drive it at night when it’s cooler outside.
Things I CAN’T DO - (goes only 15 minutes without overheating):
-Turn on the A/C.
-Sit in stop & go traffic.
-Drive it when it’s hot outside, which is hard to do because I live in SOUTH FLORIDA.
***When I try to turn the HEAT on when the car is already overheating, NO HOT air comes out, only room temp. air.***
Obviously, I pretty much have to keep my travels very close to home.
THINGS I’VE TRIED:
Coolant tank has been replaced recently – there’s no leak in the new tank.
The thermostat has just been replaced.
The ‘bleed cap’ has been removed once to let air out, but didn’t seem to make a difference.