Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Transmission oil question

Hi I know this might be a stupid question but I have looked everywhere but here for the answer. I have a 1993 Subaru Legacy L 2.2 L automatic transmission. The car was given to me about 8 years ago with no manuals, and to be honest besides oil changes, ties and one trans-axle I have done nothing else to it and it has had absolutely no problems at all. I decided yesterday to do a transmission filter, gasket, and fluid change. I did not flush the system simply drained, changed filter, put the pan gasket and pan back on. Here is my question I refilled the trans with around 9 quarts is this to much I am having trouble reading the dipstick accurately. Does anyone know about how much i was supposed to have put back in,and do I need drain some out? Thanks in advance

Comments

• dcm61dcm61 Posts: 1,564
    IIRC, my '93 Legacy FWD took ~5 quarts for a drain and refill.

It's possible that more fluid drains when removing the pan and filter.
  • Thanks for the quick response and the information I will be draining out about 4 quarts first thing in the morning.