Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

stalling subaru legacy 2004

mackan1974mackan1974 Member Posts: 4
My Subaru Legacy 2,0 2004 often will stall in the morning . The rpm will dropp to zero and sometimes it will get back to 1500 rpm and sometimed it will die . When it dies it is hard to get started again byt when it starts it smells gas ... The Map sensor i new, new sparkplugs, new air filter .
CAn it be the 02 sensor before the cat ?

Comments

• mackan1974mackan1974 Member Posts: 4
    I forgot. There are no codes in the ecu and the engine light is not on
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Spark or fuel....

Could be the ignition coil, or the wires (did 04s still have em?).

No MIL? Strange.

I might also try the fuel filter since it's cheap.
    Dont think its the fuel filter , the engine response is normal.... Yes, there are are coil and wires .. When the engine has gone for a few minutes its runs alright
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    I'd have a look at the knock sensor. My '96 ran terrible when it was cold for a couple of weeks, but fine (mostly) when it was warm. I did have a CEL, but it was for something seemingly unrelated, along with a code indicating an intermittent problem with the camshaft sensor. I replaced that sensor, the knock sensor, and the crankshaft sensor simultaneously, and it ran like a top after that. As a bonus, a nagging no-start-after-warm issue I had suffered with for years was suddenly solved as well!

I probably didn't need to replace the crankshaft sensor, but all's well that ends well. :P

When the car is cold, it runs the idle off a map rather than adjusting fuel/air ratio based on oxygen sensor feedback, etc. So, I doubt it is your oxygen sensors. Rather, in order to maintain idle, it advances/retards timing based on knock sensor feedback.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I have no fault codes in the ecu.
    I have chanched the map sensor ...
    A tip was to reset the throttlebody during to disconect the + and - cable from the battery and put them together for about 15 min .
    I tried to do that 2 days ago and so far so good , no problems left .
    Lets se if it holding that way